Most Dangerous Area For Motorbike

leininger

I live on Maejo Road and it seems there are always fatal accidents around here, usually involving motorbikes of course. Probably there are no statistics kept about this, but for people who travel around Chiang Mai a lot I wonder if you have opinions about which area is most dangerous for motorbike drivers.

I get the point of your post but if you value your life and/or don't like pain is anywhere safe?

I appreciate info on traffic blackspots, also I understand people cant all afford cars, and there'd be much worse traffic problems if everyone used a car instead, but it seems to be that many car drivers have this "I'm bigger than you,so I can kill you if you dont keep out of my way" attitude, which is perhaps the reason that there are so many motorcyclists killed and maimed.

So if that attitude is acknowledged to be wrong, end of problem

I get the point of your post but if you value your life and/or don't like pain is anywhere safe?

I appreciate info on traffic blackspots, also I understand people cant all afford cars, and there'd be much worse traffic problems if everyone used a car instead, but it seems to be that many car drivers have this "I'm bigger than you,so I can kill you if you dont keep out of my way" attitude, which is perhaps the reason that there are so many motorcyclists killed and maimed.

It is naive to imply that car drivers are responsible for bike deaths. The truth of the problem is that there is zero education in learning to drive either, the driving 'test' is a complete joke and of course there is the ability to bribe your way to a license (if you even bother to procure one) in both cases.

The driving in Chiang Mai is truly appalling, but to condemn just those in four wheel vehicles is somewhat disingenuous.

I've seen accidents involving bikes all over town. If I had to guess where it might be more dangerous, I'd guess (in the absence of reliable stats) it's best to know when - during rush hour and during drinking times.

I have a friend who if possible just keeps over to the left in a row of bike drivers and goes no faster than 60.

I just figure, based on experience, that my attitude should be that my accident is going to happen when least expected, right now! - only question being, coming from which direction. My favorite biker's quote from the bikers' forum is "Imagine that they are drunk and that to them, you are invisible."

Certainly, after a while I've found areas that I don't like to drive - too many to list and mine depend on my part of town and most frequent routes.

I cannot agree that auto drivers are the worst offenders, unless the cars are big Toyotas (you know who you are).

Edited by CMX

I've seen accidents involving bikes all over town. If I had to guess where it might be more dangerous, I'd guess (in the absence of reliable stats) it's best to know when - during rush hour and during drinking times.

Agreed though the accidents I've seen during the rush hour tend to be less serious due to the slowness of the traffic.

Chiang Mai driving is pretty bad - don't know why, BKK for example seems much saner even though traffic there is much worse - but late at night it's a death zone.

If you're on a motorbike and you get hit it's usually your own fault. Pay attention! Yes, people do crazy, unexpected things in their vehicles in this country, but you know that, and it's up to you to adjust to it.

Chiang Mai driving is pretty bad - don't know why, BKK for example seems much saner even though traffic there is much worse - but late at night it's a death zone.

If you're on a motorbike and you get hit it's usually your own fault. Pay attention! Yes, people do crazy, unexpected things in their vehicles in this country, but you know that, and it's up to you to adjust to it.

I agree about paying attention, but it's sometimes hard to adjust when they come straight out of a side turning.

Personally, I hate riding in the rain at rush hour, anywhere in Chiang Mai.

Thailand

Yep, I agree on that one. :whistling:

Kuta, Bali.ph34r.gifwink.gif

The tricky thing is that some traffic situations differ from those in your homecountry. E.g. at the end of the Nimmh. road, not the junction with Huay Kiaw, but the other end, is so confusing, that the first time I drove there I almost made a mistake.

And on the Westside of the moat, I see 'doubters'. Drivers and riders coming from 2 ways have to 'zip in' ...

Just adjust your pace for some peace in the streets. But I honoustly do hate the big, expensive car drivers. They behave as Mercedes drivers behave in Europe.

Edited by Soulwy

Most of my scariest moments have been caused by other bikes. And quite often it is falangs on bikes!

Not so much where but when. Late at night it's drunks without lights all over town.

And anywhere with those %&)*#^$ red buses.

I'll go with when instead of where--2 a.m. to sunrise when fools on bikes and in cars are checking out their high speed drunk driving skills.

Yes car drivers are not perfect, however I have seen so many bikes cut in front of me without even looking. Riding safely would put you at much less risk than many on Thailand's roads.

Us motorcyclists same the same thing about cars.....it works both ways. We should all take care out there now.

:)

Ride and drive here and have had far more near misses driving in a couple of years than riding in 10. Some real nutters of both forms, but particularly behind the wheel - cutting up and a general disregard. Much more relaxing over in the left until some tool in his wagon decides to cut everyone up or park up in that lane.

The Mae Jo road is a bit hairy but find the Hang Dong one twice as bad in either direction. After the lights in Mae Jo, it tends to get a bit dicey, particularly with the triple/quad parking near Tesco and then up by the market.

Nimbleheadman is also dodgy.

Suthep Road to Canal Road, both directions.

All sections of the outer part of the moat, in particular the north.

Junction at Rattankosin/Atsadathon (northeast of moat).

Kaew Narawat, school in and out times.

Top end of Thapae Road to middle.

That Y junction south of Chiang Mai Gate (outer moat) is also a real pain.

Chotana Road, between the Super and inner, as well as near Nakorn Ping Hospital and around Mae Rim.

The second ring road between Mae Jo Road and Saraphi

I agree about paying attention, but it's sometimes hard to adjust when they come straight out of a side turning.

Clearly, there's some situations where you have no chance. But shooting out of side sois is to be expected, and you have to adjust for it. That is, stay clear of the left side of the road when there's a soi there. Or... at any time, actually, TIT ;)

Most of my scariest moments have been caused by other bikes. And quite often it is falangs on bikes!

Not so much where but when. Late at night it's drunks without lights all over town.

Agreed. Whenever I see a farang on a bike, he (or she) becomes my priority to watch out for. :ermm::o:unsure:

I have driven accident-free here for 26 years, and I feel very confortable driving here. I just keep an eye out for anybody doing anything strange, and give them plenty of room to do as they like. :)

Edited by LJW

Every man/woman for them selves in this country lol

Sure I've had people cut me up and just pull out on me, to be honest though I find the Thai's on bikes to be the worst.

Crouched over talking on the phone whilst trying to make their way through the traffic or texting whilst riding and wobbling about.

at least the car drivers can seem to carry on in a straight line whilst on the phone lol.

On a more serious note though, I don't know how many have done the bike test over here but it is a joke!

Answer a few multiple choice questions then drive through a couple of cones, along a bit of wood to show you can do a straight line and bob's yer uncle! Passed !

There is no mention of riding safely or about dangers on the road at any time.

To be fair, any 16 year old who had done a CBT (compulsory basic training) course in the UK would be an advanced driver in thailand and I'm sure the rest of the western world has an equivelent in their respective countries

Agreed. Whenever I see a farang on a bike, he (or she) becomes my priority to watch out for. :ermm::o:unsure:

I have driven accident-free here for 26 years, and I feel very confortable driving here. I just keep an eye out for anybody doing anything strange, and give them plenty of room to do as they like. :)

In something over 20 years driving here my car has been hit three times by bikes. The last time was by another foreigner as I was stopped at lights in the city. He was squeezing his Phantom in between cars to join others on pole position. Blessed annoying. Riding bikes from a scooter up to 1200cc I have only had one minor mishap. Waiting for a 'U' turn on the Hangdong Road I was waiting in the queue when a young girl on a scooter tried to force her way between my front wheel and the car in front. She trapped part of my left hand between the handlebars. Unbelievable. I don't know whether it is stupidity or total selfishness but doubtless we have all cringed at the lights as bikes squeeze between our cars and something else. I actively try and prevent this by stopping close to the kerb, at least I only have to look out for one side then. It does not help matters when you see non helmeted police officers doing the same thing. Mirrors are for checking ones spots or make-up, that is if they have not been removed in the first place. I do not think I would be wrong by saying most motorbike accidents are caused by the bike riders themselves and some others by people driving cars who think they are still riding a bike. My wife tries to keep me in check by telling me to lead by example, not a bad thing to try even if it is difficult. I would ask all other guests though not to try and copy the locals but to ride as you would in your home countries otherwise your holiday is going to end in tears!

Ride and drive here and have had far more near misses driving in a couple of years than riding in 10. Some real nutters of both forms, but particularly behind the wheel - cutting up and a general disregard. Much more relaxing over in the left until some tool in his wagon decides to cut everyone up or park up in that lane.

The Mae Jo road is a bit hairy but find the Hang Dong one twice as bad in either direction. After the lights in Mae Jo, it tends to get a bit dicey, particularly with the triple/quad parking near Tesco and then up by the market.

Nimbleheadman is also dodgy.

Suthep Road to Canal Road, both directions.

All sections of the outer part of the moat, in particular the north.

Junction at Rattankosin/Atsadathon (northeast of moat).

Kaew Narawat, school in and out times.

Top end of Thapae Road to middle.

That Y junction south of Chiang Mai Gate (outer moat) is also a real pain.

Chotana Road, between the Super and inner, as well as near Nakorn Ping Hospital and around Mae Rim.

The second ring road between Mae Jo Road and Saraphi

So your saying you feel fairly safe when your parked...:D

Virtually all the replies here are correct. This quote is probably the best advice...

I have a friend who if possible just keeps over to the left in a row of bike drivers and goes no faster than 60.

I just figure, based on experience, that my attitude should be that my accident is going to happen when least expected, right now! - only question being, coming from which direction. My favorite biker's quote from the bikers' forum is "Imagine that they are drunk and that to them, you are invisible."

Certainly, after a while I've found areas that I don't like to drive - too many to list and mine depend on my part of town and most frequent routes.

I cannot agree that auto drivers are the worst offenders, unless the cars are big Toyotas (you know who you are).

There is NOWHERE in Thailand that you are safe in a vehicle. And, by their very construction, motorbikes are the least safe.

I ride a motorbike everywhere but Bangkok, and that is only because I don't know my way around in Bangkok. Not knowing where you are going takes away from the 100% consentration you need when driving or riding a vehicle in Thailand. I know my way around Chiang Mai, so I can concentrate on watching for EVERYTHING that can possibly prevent my safe passage: parked vehicles, incoming vehicles from any direction including the wrong way on one way streets, bicycles, dogs, drunken pedestrians, etc, etc.

Even knowing that I still expect to have the occasional accident. It goes with the territory. I just hope that when it happens it's not at too high a speed and in heavy traffic. So far I've been lucky and my accidents have been minor scrapes and bruises.

Ians_leg_Em.sized.jpg

The OP is right. Mae Jo road seems more dangerous because of the body count.

I drive on the Mae Jo road almost daily and it has always boggled my mind how such a well-designed, well-lit, well-marked, multi-lane road can have so many freakin' accidents.

Soon the white paint outlines at accident sites are going to blend together to pave the entire road deadly-white! I'm not exaggerating! (well, actually, I AM exaggerating, but you get the point)

Edited by NaiGreg

It is naive to imply that car drivers are responsible for bike deaths. The truth of the problem is that there is zero education in learning to drive either, the driving 'test' is a complete joke and of course there is the ability to bribe your way to a license (if you even bother to procure one) in both cases.

The driving in Chiang Mai is truly appalling, but to condemn just those in four wheel vehicles is somewhat disingenuous.

I'll agree that blaming car drivers is naive. In Thailand, but in the USA I am convinced they aim for you.