Thailand On Red Alert

webfact

Country on red alert

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_13122.jpg

Security tightened for rallies planned to mark fourth anniversary of coup and fourth month after the crackdown on protesters

All eyes will be on the red shirts and the security situation today as protesters commemorate the fourth anniversary of the September 2006 military coup and the fourth month since the crackdown on the bloody rally in Bangkok.

Security has been beefed up in Chiang Mai and Bangkok but government officials said they expected no violence at today's events.

However, the government warned that the red shirts should not prolong the gathering, block roads or use amplifiers - otherwise they would face arrest.

The Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) is confident the military and police will be able to keep the peace today.

A source from the CRES, who asked not to be named, said Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, as the CRES director, had not visited the Army headquarters - the CRES "war room" - and expected moves by the red shirts, their biggest gathering since May 19, would be mainly symbolic.

The source said an ill-intentioned group had tried to instigate trouble in Bangkok last week. Their targeted areas included the subway's Asoke Station, the BTS Taksin Station and the Rama IX Bridge. National security officials learnt of their intentions and the group later abandoned its plan.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said agencies in charge of security were keeping an eye on the possibility of violence.

Although no plans for violence had been reported, he said security agencies must watch out for opportunists who might take chances during major political movements.

Abhisit declined to answer whether the movements had anything to do with reports of missing weapons. He said the Army should clarify the issue.

Security officers in Chiang Mai inspected areas in and around the Nakhon Chiang Mai Municipal Stadium, where the red shirts plan to hold commemoration events.

They also surveyed high-rise buildings and inspected the close-circuit cameras in and around the venue.

The red shirts started their activities yesterday morning with 50 vehicles joining a caravan from Big C Lat Phrao to Chiang Mai. Somyos Prueksakasemsuk and Sunai Jullapongsatorn were the leaders.

The group announced it was a symbolic activity, calling for the government to improve its performance and solve farmers' revenue problems, as well as a change in the justice system to more trials by jury.

The rally halted for lunch in Nakhon Sawan, where 140 police officers secured the venues.

Chiang Mai Governor Amornpan Nimmanan and provincial police chief Maj-General Sommai Kongwisaisuk deployed a combined force of 200 police, army officers and plainclothes security personnel last night to ensure law and order. The forces will be on duty until Tuesday morning.

Amornpan said the officers were ordered to pay attention to the province's government office centre and nine other spots in the province.

Meanwhile, Sommai said hundreds of officers and more than 100 rapid mobile police were ready, along with checkpoints around the province to maintain law and order.

Chiang Mai red-shirt leader Sriwan Chanpong said the stage prepared

for leaders to address the gathering in the municipal stadium had been adjusted after the reports of missing weapons, which might be used to cause chaos.

He said the government would not be able to stay in power unless the police and military officers could make them safe.

The "Red Rally" convoy of some 80 motor vehicles, which left Bangkok at dawn, arrived in Chiang Mai by late evening. They were greeted by about 500 red shirts around the Sam Kasat monument.

Meanwhile, at 11am today in Khon Kaen province, red shirts will lay flowers and hand letters of support to fellow red shirts being held at the provincial prison.

The UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued a warning to all its citizens of possible explosions or other violence in Bangkok and Chiang Mai today.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-19

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keep an eye on the warnings from the brit embassy, during the last uprising they were sparse in their warnings but when they did it was not without cause.

Just saw the first helicopter of the day buzz overhead and heading towards the cbd.

Edit to add: + 2 more just a minute ago. Strange, the most peaceful sunday morning in ages _will it last?

Edited by bkkjames

Update:

Already at 9am redshirts are gathering around Ratchaprasong. Redshirts are coming from all directions and numbers are growing continuously. A lot of barriers, police and special forces around there too.

There is also a long queue of motocycle taxis; they said to my wife that motocycle taxis from Bangkok want to join the rally at Ratchaprasong.

post-91320-075261400 1284865249_thumb.jp

Update: Already at 9am redshirts are gathering around Ratchaprasong. Redshirts are  coming from all directions and numbers are growing continuously. A lot of  barriers, police and special forces around there too.

There is also a long  queue of motocycle taxis; they said to my wife that motocycle taxis from Bangkok want to  join the rally at Ratchaprasong.

"Already at 9am" posted at 10am ...

Any pics of the "numbers" or of the "queue of motorcycle taxis"?  

There is a queue of motorcycle taxi's queuing up outside my apartment too (nowhere near Ratchaprasong).  They do that every morning. Is that part of the red shirt protest too?

edit: is there something wrong with TVF today? The page formatting is missing.

Edited by whybother

Current from twitter RichardBarrow

"Picture of red shirts gathering at Ratchaprasong with the charred Central World in the background." ( http://twitpic.com/2pv32k )

Red shirts as far as the eye can see. There are thousands of them ... well, maybe one thousand, anyway.

Vendors start selling shirts, sarfs, matts. Where's the food ? Let the picnic begin, only hope the rain will stay away for a while :)

I have to go to Silom. Is Rama 4 ok to drive on?

Does anyone know.

Can't be arsed with taking the skytrain!

I'm not going to drive anywhere near central BKK today. The traffic will probably be so backed up that it will take hours to get anywhere.

Ratchaprasong more-or-less blocked, lower Sukhumvit will be effected. Will also slowly trickle down to neighbouring streets like Chitlom, Ratchadamri, etc.

Advice: if you have to travel in BKK CBD today use BTS/MRT or motorcycle, else stay home watch the fun on TV, internet.

12:24PM Ratchaprasong more or less blocked ( http://twitpic.com/2pvod1 )

So where is so-called "SoE rule not to allow crowds 5+ pax"????????

Anyone in this f#$%#$%#$@ govt able to enforce even ONE thing in their own country?? Where is the police? Where are SWATs? Noone to disperce the 2nd season of this red-soap drama?

I should re-think my decision to pay my taxes to THIS.

• Like 2

Anyone in this f#$%#$%#$@ govt able to enforce even ONE thing in their own country?? Where is the police? Where are SWATs? Noone to disperce the 2nd season of this red-soap drama?

Please excuse me, but this gathering to commemorate an event was agreed upon with police, etc. Strict rules to be followed, end of happening 8PM.

You could have read about it the last week.

Traffic blocked because of many people, not because of deliberate blocking.

So what's your problem ?

(PS ManU - Liverpool start 7.30PM, don't miss this red-shirt show)

Edited by rubl

First indications that things are not as they should. Too many people. Red-shirts taking over traffic control, telling police to go home. Refuse to clear the road.

Wait a bit, film it for prosperity, start reading the plan 'how to clear a gathering going rogue'. Let's hope rain will start before something happens.

Expect the red shirt rallies today/this weekend will mostly result in traffic jams and increased sales for street food vendors.

Also expect the red shirts want to show their rallies can be peaceful, which sets them up to have more rallies in the near future. Apparently, all they have to do to get around the emergency declare law is to ask the govt with a "pretty please, we'll be peaceful...you can trust us."

Please excuse me, but this gathering to commemorate an event was agreed upon with police, etc.

So what's your problem ?

The problem is that you do not understand the fact: Dura lex - sed lex (the Law is tough, but the Law). You CANNOT make exceptions of the law just to benefit/greet a minority (some of whose are terrorists, active or on-the-run).

IF it is SoE - than there must be NO exceptions. IF it is NOT - than lets make some crowds over 5 pax and cancel SoE (anyway it is exist only on the papers, as we can clearly see).

I have no idea what are you talking about.

PS: CRES has banned rallies in Bkk ()

Edited by alex_aka_P

Expect the red shirt rallies today/this weekend will mostly result in traffic jams and increased sales for street food vendors.

Also expect the red shirts want to show their rallies can be peaceful, which sets them up to have more rallies in the near future. Apparently, all they have to do to get around the emergency declare law is to ask the govt with a "pretty please, we'll be peaceful...you can trust us."

Sorry, someone spoiling this business opportunity : Free mama noodles being prepared for red shirts at Ratchaprasong ( http://twitpic.com/2pwzq2 )

Please excuse me, but this gathering to commemorate an event was agreed upon with police, etc.

So what's your problem ?

The problem is that you do not understand the fact: Dura lex - sed lex (the Law is tough, but the Law). You CANNOT make exceptions of the law just to benefit/greet a minority (some of whose are terrorists, active or on-the-run).

IF it is SoE - than there must be NO exceptions. IF it is NOT - than lets make some crowds over 5 pax and cancel SoE (anyway it is exist only on the papers, as we can clearly see).

I have no idea what are you talking about.

No offence, but cut the crap. In Thailand anything is possible as long as it's agreed upon (maybe in other countries as well).

If you don't know why ManU - Liverpool is a red-shirt show, you're probably not English or dislike soccer.

PS here in Dusit area it's raining :)

Edited by rubl

Just saw on the news they have quite a turn-out, looks ominously similar to the start of the last go-around.

By 8pm tonight if they have not dispersed, roll out the apc's and nip it in the bud. The police will of course not handle the situation.

Ps, bring the firetrucks just in case.

• Like 1

In Thailand anything is possible

Here I must agree with u. It is an argument which beats any logic, laws, experience etc.

Yeah....Welcome to Thailand. :(

If you don't know why ManU - Liverpool is a red-shirt show, you're probably not English or dislike soccer.

I hate soccer. :)

Please excuse me, but this gathering to commemorate an event was agreed upon with police, etc. Strict rules to be followed, end of happening 8PM.

So what's your problem ?

First, with the SOE in effect, there are suppose to be NO political gatherings of more than 5 people. Then they were asked not to block traffic. Then they were asked not to use loudspeakers. All broken. What's next? Burning of buildings...again...

I see no strict rules here at all...nothings being enforced? :blink:

• Like 2

I see the police have said the reds would not be allowed to set up a stage.

Have they set it up yet? :whistling:

From what I could gather on Twitter:

One pic showed a red with a mic (and a police officer next to him!) addressing the crowd from a raised position, but not sure it would qualify as a stage.

Pics clearly show them virtually blocking Rajprasong.

They have taken over traffic duties from police.

Police are outnumbered and do not appear to have any response or command in the area.

There's a terrific pic showing a line of "riot police" facing red shirts on one side of the road, despite these already being behind a metal fence to prevent people from crossing the street. Yet, behind them, on the other side, a red crowd has gathered which is substantially larger and are pouring onto the street.

The police do not have a clue and it's a coin toss that this won't turn into a sit down to "release our leaders" IMO.

Being somewhat Machiavellian I think some people don't need to be given a rope to hang themselves.

If the reds want to breech any of the conditions agreed upon for this peaceful gathering, well let them. Document it. It can be used as evidence that

- The red-shirt leadership with K. Sombat agreeing on conditions cannot be trusted

- Government justified in refusing permission for more 'gatherings'

- after 8PM today start the dispersal following the famous 7-point approach

- etc., etc.

(edit: add 7-point approach)

Edited by rubl

So what's your problem ?

First, with the SOE in effect, there are suppose to be NO political gatherings of more than 5 people. Then they were asked not to block traffic. Then they were asked not to use loudspeakers. All broken. What's next? Burning of buildings...again...

I see no strict rules here at all...nothings being enforced? :blink:

I think the argument is that this is not a political gathering, but a "commemorative rally"...

I would have thought that someone has to stand up and sign some agreement with the police before undertaking such a thing. In effect, somebody has to take legal responsibility. Is it not so in Thailand?