Money And Quality Of Life

Braccobaldo

if I had enough money to live in UK without working and had the choice re the scenario you outline, Then I would live in Thailand

There is no doubt about that.

I have had to return to UK for 2 months, benn back 5 days now and don't feel at home here. If I did not have family, here , it would be unbearable.

if I had enough money to live in UK without working and had the choice re the scenario you outline, Then I would live in Thailand

There is no doubt about that.

I have had to return to UK for 2 months, benn back 5 days now and don't feel at home here. If I did not have family, here , it would be unbearable.

..usually UK citizens don't like England...I wonder why??...When I was young I live in London for six months..very nice...apart the weather, isn't it??

..usually UK citizens don't like England...I wonder why??...When I was young I live in London for six months..very nice...apart the weather, isn't it??

I can't speak for most UK citizens - only myself.

Truth is I'm happier in Thailand than in UK.

I can't speak for most UK citizens - only myself.

Truth is I'm happier in Thailand than in UK.

...just curiosity...why?

This could take some time so will respond to your question soon, no time right now

No competition – back to the US.

The main reason I came to Asia was for the experience. I have been in Asia for almost six years now. The experience has been great and I would not trade it for anything. But if I could get a job (edit - a job that I enjoy) that paid me enough to have an equal standard of living in the US then I would move back to the US.

As a matter of fact I will more than likely move back to the US in a couple of years anyway. As soon as my daughter is school age I will have to decide to lower our standard of living here to cover the cost of good schooling, or lower our standard of living by returning to the US to get good schooling. Chances are it will be returning to the US.

Edited by TokyoT

The main reason I came to Asia was for the experience.  I have been in Asia for almost six years now.  The experience has been great and I would not trade it for anything.  But if I could get a job (edit - a job that I enjoy) that paid me enough to have an equal standard of living in the US then I would move back to the US. 

As a matter of fact I will more than likely move back to the US in a couple of years anyway.  As soon as my daughter is school age I will have to decide to lower our standard of living here to cover the cost of good schooling, or lower our standard of living by returning to the US to get good schooling.  Chances are it will be returning to the US.

good answer, US also would be a wonderful place to live if cheap same Thailand...maybe no more LOS but LOS ANGELES....

I currently live in HK but would prefer to live in Thailand. The reason I am here is for my wife's personal reasons and because I can earn a good income with low tax on earnings and zero tax on investments.

We will move to Thailand in two and half years where I believe we will have a far better quality of life.

Originally I am from the UK and, although I visit most years, have no desire to live there again, it has nothing to do with money.

...just curiosity...why?

Broccobaldo

Why am I happier in Thailand?

1) I'm aged 49 years and in UK I am already made to feel old. In Thailand I don't have to act my age. Nobody disrespects you because of your age. ( except for some Farang)

One time in Pattaya I saw a Farang, probably close to 70 years old go behind the bar and dance with the Thai ladies.

My friend turned to me and said "What does he think he looks like?"

My reply " He has a big smile on his face, which is more than you have"

My friend had brought with him the prejudice with him, that people of a certain age should act in a certain way according to his age.

That man was having fun and didn't care what anybody else thought. Could he do the same in the UK?

In Thailand, as long as you do not hurt anybody else, you have the freedom to be who you are.

2) Obviously the weather, same as you, I do not like to be cold.

3) I enjoy gardening and the climate also makes garding possible the whole year.

4) The Thai people are more content with their way of life than the Brits and this contentment is catching.

Most Thai people do not have too much in the way of possessions and they generally accept this fact. Brits seem never to be satisfied and always seem to want a bigger house, car, The latest TV and electronic gadgets.

I'm not saying that Thais are not interested in possessions, but mostly if not easy come, Mai Bpen Rai

5) Thai people smile a lot (Land of smiles after all). A smile given and returned can't help but make you feel better.

In UK, try smiling at a stranger, normally they will look the other way or regard you with suspicion. Worse, you are also risking getting punched.

6) Wonderful array of fresh food. Food does taste better than in UK.

7) Thai people generally have a more relaxed attitude to everything. Sometimes, I find this infuriating, but on balance is better than being uptight all of the time.

8) Thai people do not allow their lifes to be dictated by the clock. Again, sometimes annoying to us Farang, but after you get used to it, is much less stressfull

9) Nearly every Thai that you meet immediately regards you as a friend. Certainly not the case in UK.

10) Thai people are usually much more helpful than Brits. For some nothing is too much trouble, and contrary to popular beliefs, they do not expect anything in return.

Of course the fact that my money buys more here is a bonus, but not the reason why I love life in Thailand.

Incidently I live in a village in Jungwat Phrae, not in Bangkok, Pattaya etc. Nothing wrong with these places and in fact I enjoy short holidays there, but I could not live there full time.

I am aware that there can be a lot of pitfalls in Thailand and many I have experienced myself, but I have now discovered what makes me really happy and it is in Thailand.

If I sat and thought about it for longer, I'm sure that the list would grow ever longer, but I hope that this post does enough to answer your question

:o:D:D:D:D:D :

1) I'm aged 49 years and in UK I am already made to feel old. In Thailand I don't have to act my age. Nobody disrespects you because of your age. ( except for some Farang)

One time in Pattaya I saw a Farang, probably close to 70 years old go behind the bar and dance with the Thai ladies.

Cognitive dissonance in the two highlighted parts.

back to the point about why is thailand a better place to live than the uk, well the fact is the uk is now a pretty dangerous place to live, muggings,burglars, and the general level of voilence is amazing, i have always felt safe in thailand no matter where i was. also the uks crazy expensive and thailand isnt, uks cold and thailands hot, its a complete opposite

...just curiosity...why?

Broccobaldo

Why am I happier in Thailand?

My friend turned to me and said "What does he think he looks like?"

My reply " He has a big smile on his face, which is more than you have"

My friend had brought with him the prejudice with him, that people of a certain age should act in a certain way according to his age.

That man was having fun and didn't care what anybody else thought. Could he do the same in the UK?

In Thailand, as long as you do not hurt anybody else, you have the freedom to be who you are.

2) Obviously the weather, same as you, I do not like to be cold.

3) I enjoy gardening and the climate also makes garding possible the whole year.

4) The Thai people are more content with their way of life than the Brits and this contentment is catching.

Most Thai people do not have too much in the way of possessions and they generally accept this fact. Brits seem never to be satisfied and always seem to want a bigger house, car, The latest TV and electronic gadgets.

I'm not saying that Thais are not interested in possessions, but mostly if not easy come, Mai Bpen Rai

5) Thai people smile a lot (Land of smiles after all). A smile given and returned can't help but make you feel better.

In UK, try smiling at a stranger, normally they will look the other way or regard you with suspicion. Worse, you are also risking getting punched.

6) Wonderful array of fresh food. Food does taste better than in UK.

7) Thai people generally have a more relaxed attitude to everything. Sometimes, I find this infuriating, but on balance is better than being uptight all of the time.

8) Thai people do not allow their lifes to be dictated by the clock. Again, sometimes annoying to us Farang, but after you get used to it, is much less stressfull

9) Nearly every Thai that you meet immediately regards you as a friend. Certainly not the case in UK.

10) Thai people are usually much more helpful than Brits. For some nothing is too much trouble, and contrary to popular beliefs, they do not expect anything in return.

Of course the fact that my money buys more here is a bonus, but not the reason why I love life in Thailand.

Incidently I live in a village in Jungwat Phrae, not in Bangkok, Pattaya etc. Nothing wrong with these places and in fact I enjoy short holidays there, but I could not live there full time.

I am aware that there can be a lot of pitfalls in Thailand and many I have experienced myself, but I have now discovered what makes me really happy and it is in Thailand.

If I sat and thought about it for longer, I'm sure that the list would grow ever longer, but I hope that this post does enough to answer your question

:D:D:D:D:D:D :

Not sure about number 4. Most Thais like nothing more than to have a bigger house and show off their possessions, especially their cars. The mai pen rai is also a disguise of what they're really thinking, depending on how cynical you want to be. Number 5: they do smile a lot but don't let this fool you, although I rather receive a smile than a frown as would most people. I prefer it here than the UK too but it's not all rosy. :o

Edited by jackr

Not sure about number 4. Most Thais like nothing more than to have a bigger house and show off their possessions, especially their cars. The mai pen rai is also a disguise of what they're really thinking, depending on how cynical you want to be. Number 5: they do smile a lot but don't let this fool you, although I rather receive a smile than a frown as would most people. I prefer it here than the UK too but it's not all rosy.

Jackr, I don't how much time you have spent away from th main tourist spots, so I have no idea of how broad your experience in Thailand is.

I agree that most Thais would love to have a bigger house, a car and show off their possessions and I believe I did cover that point in my posting at number 4.

But if they can't have these things, they don't worry about it. They get on with their lives

As for your comments on number 5, I have no reason to believe that the smiles I receive are anything but genuine and in what way would they be trying to fool me?

Remember I do not live in a tourist area, where Thais may have something to gain by pretending to like you.

I never tried to make out that it is all rosy in Los, but on balance a lot riosier than UK

I was asked why I felt happier in Los than UK, and I answered truthfully, if you think I am being fooled in someway, that still does not alter the fact that I am happy. After all, if I'm being fooled then I don't realise it. :o

I'm NOT being fooled by the way.

Can you translate this please?

It would take a brave man to translate any theory a psychologist came up with and make any sense of it.Personal experience has found them to be overpaid and full of verbal excrement. Even worse than us lawyers, if that's possible :o

Born in the UK and never want to live there again. I left 14 years ago, and have no intention of returning. Cold, dismal, small-minded, seedy. Little Britain is funny because it's so true.

Have also lived in NZ and Australia. NZ is fine (and I still have a house there), but now that I've made the move to Asia I feel like i've found my home. If I cant stay here, then it will be PI or Vietnam.

Nothing to do with money. It's a state of mind thing.

The main reason I came to Asia was for the experience.  I have been in Asia for almost six years now.  The experience has been great and I would not trade it for anything.  But if I could get a job (edit - a job that I enjoy) that paid me enough to have an equal standard of living in the US then I would move back to the US. 

As a matter of fact I will more than likely move back to the US in a couple of years anyway.  As soon as my daughter is school age I will have to decide to lower our standard of living here to cover the cost of good schooling, or lower our standard of living by returning to the US to get good schooling.  Chances are it will be returning to the US.

good answer, US also would be a wonderful place to live if cheap same Thailand...maybe no more LOS but LOS ANGELES....

I am coming to Thailand in a few weeks, I have dropped out in Los Angeles ( USA)in my youth Crazy scene, one of my dropout buddies said Thailand is 10 times better. I have heard Pattaya is littered with 'CHANG GANGS'. expats who drink local beer all day. I may join up to make some new buddies when I arrive :o , I heard they drink in the backstreets of Pattaya. Anyway I will check it out :D

I am coming to Thailand in a few weeks, I have dropped out in Los Angeles ( USA)in my youth Crazy scene, one of my dropout buddies said Thailand is 10 times better. I have heard Pattaya is littered with 'CHANG GANGS'. expats who drink local beer all day. I may join up to make some new buddies when I arrive :o , I heard they drink in the backstreets of Pattaya. Anyway I will check it out :D

the chang gangs as you call them can be a good source of information and they do look after each other, however, you will meet more ex SAS men than there have ever been, spys, bank robbers etc etc.

the one main problem i have with these people is that they come to thailand to live in little england and moan about everything thai except the girls: but they stay!

It would take a brave man to translate any theory a psychologist came up with and make any sense of it.Personal experience has found them to be overpaid and full of verbal excrement. Even worse than us lawyers, if that's possible :o

haha, to make it brief cognitive dissonance refers to the discomfort experienced due to a contradiction, or discrepency between what you know or believe (norm) and new information or interpretation.

As the the original question...

I've only been to Thailand once, this was earlier this year in April. If I had the choice to live here in the UK or in Thailand I would move straight to Thailand and never look back. Money certainly is not the issue.

The UK is, in my opinion is quite an awful place to visit or live. I don't like much of the people, they are self-absorbed and would put theirself above anyone or anything. The weather is terrible, looking out of my window now to grey overcast conditions right in the middle of summer.

England does not excite me, it is predictable, we have no culture, we don't try to understand anyone elses culture, we just make them understand what little of it we have. Up north there is a bit of culture, but it is fading.

I think the only thing I would miss from life in the UK is football and cricket, I would even give up my season ticket for the toon just to be in Thailand.

Since I arrived back from Thailand there has not been a day passed when I have not thought about the place, it is a wonderful country with wonderful people and soroundings, who could choose to live in the UK above Thailand? certainly not me

I quite enjoy living and working in London which is not really England or indeed for that matter... the UK.

Its (to me anyway) more like some sort of multicultural-multi ethnic/faith melting pot with a lot of obvious problems but at the same time with many more advantages.

Even got a Thai Foodie Jolly at the weekend in one of our many parks (green spaces.....got grass and ducks and chuks flying about....very nice)

Pubs sell reasonable beer,Restaurants good nosh-Thai-Chinese-Italian-French-Germai-Greek-Arabic-..and even english (well of a sort :D )

Take today for eg... the sun is shining with a gentle breeze and apart from the police cars that are still belting up and down the Holloway Road with their sirenes screaming its maybe a good time to nip out for a quiet stroll in the park opposite (green places i mentioned earlier )and breath in some of our not 2 poluted fresh air. :D

Bangers and Chiang Mai are of course great and my addopted jacket hanger upper but for the mo they are only on the cards for bank hols and long weekends away. :o ....sort of second home in the country ..just a little bit further between toilet stops. :D

It would take a brave man to translate any theory a psychologist came up with and make any sense of it.Personal experience has found them to be overpaid and full of verbal excrement. Even worse than us lawyers, if that's possible :D

Lawyers stress me out big time ! They conjure an image for me which resembles an ebola cell latching on to a healthy host cell. I believe all lawyers should have to do militry service. That is all I will say about that. :o

well said rinrada, me & hubby were only discussing yesterday what we would do if we won the 15 million pound lotto this week & we both decided that although thailand is nice, we would make our base in Europe & specifically London, as it is such a vibrant, amazing city & keep LOS as a holiday spot :o

...just curiosity...why?

Very intersting, i don't understand why middle eastern are crazy

about traveling to UK and Paris? They feel it makes them high class, and

thailand makes you a low class person

Edited by U_THAIED_UP_THAIED

It would take a brave man to translate any theory a psychologist came up with and make any sense of it.Personal experience has found them to be overpaid and full of verbal excrement. Even worse than us lawyers, if that's possible :D

haha, to make it brief cognitive dissonance refers to the discomfort experienced due to a contradiction, or discrepency between what you know or believe (norm) and new information or interpretation.

As the the original question...

I've only been to Thailand once, this was earlier this year in April. If I had the choice to live here in the UK or in Thailand I would move straight to Thailand and never look back. Money certainly is not the issue.

The UK is, in my opinion is quite an awful place to visit or live. I don't like much of the people, they are self-absorbed and would put theirself above anyone or anything. The weather is terrible, looking out of my window now to grey overcast conditions right in the middle of summer.

England does not excite me, it is predictable, we have no culture, we don't try to understand anyone elses culture, we just make them understand what little of it we have. Up north there is a bit of culture, but it is fading.

I think the only thing I would miss from life in the UK is football and cricket, I would even give up my season ticket for the toon just to be in Thailand.

Since I arrived back from Thailand there has not been a day passed when I have not thought about the place, it is a wonderful country with wonderful people and soroundings, who could choose to live in the UK above Thailand? certainly not me

Speaking like that a few years back would have gotten yourself strung up for treason. :o That's the problem with the English, they'll slag off their country to no end and make themselves look stupid and unpatriotic. You won't see many Americans or Thais knocking their own like that. I can see where you're coming from with regards better quality of life for less money, easy-going people, better climate et al, but why the need to publicly sh1t on your own country? BTW, living somewhere and being on holiday ain't the same thing. The weather gets bad here too, it's about to rain for the next three months. :D

ok...I would like you try to imagine that your homecountry has the same standard of Los.(I mean cost of living) and viceversa Thailand has the same cost of living than (example) London....you would live in Thailand????

Not sure what you mean by that but in either of these scenarios:

- I had in Thailand the same purchasing power of the average Thai

- I had in my homecountry the same purchasing power compared to the average Italian that I enjoy in Thailand compared to the average Thai

I would forever forget about Thailand :o

Girls, weather, food and just about everything else (just think about infinitely less discrimination/racism, infinitely better health care, police, judicial system, cleanliness, order and safety) is so better at home that I see no point in going to LOS if I could live in Italy the highlife that I can afford in Thailand.

AND, on the other hand, if I had to live in Thailand like the average Thai does, it would simply be h3ll on earth and the lifestyle of the average Italian is IMO infinitely better than that of the average Thai (the ones who earn 7000 baht per month...).

Life in Asia is for the (relatively) rich.

Edited by BAF