Thai Immigration Introduces Jail Time For Overstayers

What crap.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the next few long overstay farangs who attempt to exit the Kingdom.

No. It WON'T be interesting.

Well not to anyone who has some semblance of life away from a computer screen

It will be interesting to see if the Immigration authorities actually impose this law. So how are you posting if not in front of a computer screen?

Rick

Of course I post whilst in front of a computer screen but as I have a life away from Thaivisa, it will NOT be interesting enough for ME to bother seeing if the Immigration authorities enforce the law.

I, personally, do observe the immigration laws but I'm certainly not going to self-righteously cast judgment over those who don't.

read well before you comment. i dont say i dont have time. i say i dont want to spend that time on bureaucracy. thats something completely else. And 20k doesn't cover hahahahaha. they simply want more now because we should be scared to go into jail. so they are going to ask much more then 20k. so it realy seems you dont understand it here.

And the reasons that you give are exactly why Immigration are fed up with people taking the piss out of the system. Hopefully, they will also increase the fines for people who have a certain amount of days overstay - i.e. 500 baht for the first seven days, with a staged increase up to a month. I also think they should not have an upper limit, so everyday counts - might make people like you think about obtaining a proper visa before turning up.

Personally i think this is a load of old crock, simple to boost site views with tv's new alliance.

The rules have been in place for years, and i have heard that people have been stamped out in the past day or two with 2years plus overstay with no problem.

But isn't that the whole point. In the past yes, but not anymore.

Like others stated, there are perfectly legal ways to remain here without overstaying. I take it that those who neglect this are doing so for financial gain, ie. they do not want to spend the money to go abroad and obtain a new and valid visa. They're pissing on those of us who do.

Lawbreakers since forever have been pissing on the rest of us . practicfing to be law abiding citizens.

Law breakers have been making it difficult at best for all of us practicing to be law abiding citizens. Many years ago, I thought little of the importance of such seemingly unimportant laws. A lot has changed since the better since that has changed.

Law breakers have been making it difficult at best for all of us practicing to be law abiding citizens. Many years ago, I thought little of the importance of such seemingly unimportant laws. A lot has changed since the better since that has changed.

To the police, everybody is a suspect.

Personally i think this is a load of old crock, simple to boost site views with tv's new alliance.

The rules have been in place for years, and i have heard that people have been stamped out in the past day or two with 2years plus overstay with no problem.

But isn't that the whole point. In the past yes, but not anymore.

Like others stated, there are perfectly legal ways to remain here without overstaying. I take it that those who neglect this are doing so for financial gain, ie. they do not want to spend the money to go abroad and obtain a new and valid visa. They're pissing on those of us who do.

Lawbreakers since forever have been pissing on the rest of us . practicfing to be law abiding citizens.

i also think it is strange the max fine is 20k 500 bath a day and keep counting would be fair. then i still will smiling and pay what they want. i dont care the money i just hate going in my own country to the embassy for a visa. way to much waste of time. i rather pay.

I Would love to see America do the same.

That's insane. You want the taxpayers to pay for prison time for visa overstayers in the US when most couldn't raise the deportation costs? Why? Much cheaper not to mention more HUMANE just to deport them ASAP. Which is what the US does to those that are caught.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

What crap.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the next few long overstay farangs who attempt to exit the Kingdom.

No. It WON'T be interesting.

Well not to anyone who has some semblance of life away from a computer screen

It will be interesting to see if the Immigration authorities actually impose this law. So how are you posting if not in front of a computer screen?

Rick

Of course I post whilst in front of a computer screen but as I have a life away from Thaivisa, it will NOT be interesting enough for ME to bother seeing if the Immigration authorities enforce the law.

I, personally, do observe the immigration laws but I'm certainly not going to self-righteously cast judgment over those who don't.

Most people do have a life away from Thai visa, so nothing ground breaking there. What is self righteous about abiding by the law?

Rick

All this nonsense from so many posters here. Every action here by the police and any authorities, has nothing to do with protecting borders, controlling illegal immigration or anything at all to do with any ethical reasons.

Let me list the reasons, in no particular order,

1. money

2, money

3. money.

• Like 2

That's insane. You want the taxpayers to pay for prison time for visa overstayers in the US when most couldn't raise the deportation costs? Why? Much cheaper not to mention more HUMANE just to deport them ASAP. Which is what the US does to those that are caught.

Jing I am surprised that you have not run a poll, as to how many over stayers there are in Thailand?

Cheers, Rick

to all you self righteous high and mighty folks out there! have you ever had sex with a bar girl/prostitute in thailand? if you answer yes then you have broken the law and are no better than the overstayers. tut tut !!!!!!

good choice of words ' self righteous'.

" Self righteous " meaning having the nous above that of the average Epsilon to be able to do something as simple as arrange a visa extension in advance of the expiry date instead of giving every <deleted> excuse under the sun as to why they didn't do it.

Jing I am surprised that you have not run a poll, as to how many over stayers there are in Thailand?

Cheers, Rick

It doesn't interest me much and it wouldn't be meaningful anyway.

Cheers, Rick

It doesn't interest me much and it wouldn't be meaningful anyway.

OK just a thought.

Rick

Moreover,Thailand is a major tourists country which benefits the Thai economy, and this should be born in mind when dealing with some visa over-stayers, prison terms for this would take tourists aback, and would have a negative impact on Thailand.

How so? There's only the threat of a prison sentence between 3 and 6 weeks overstay and possible real jail time over 6 weeks. If you're here on holiday for a week, fortnight, month, 3 months, whatever you've still got a grace period of 3 weeks if you overstay where you'll only pay a fine. The majority of holidaymakers are on the flight home they booked anyhow aren't they? It's not as if my mum and dad on one of their visits as tourist are going to think " fuc_k it we'll stay another 6 weeks without doing anything about it "

You missed the point, it is not about tourists being afraid that it might happen to them in case of 'overstay' since no doubt 95% (incl: your mum and dad) would not get involved in overstay, it is about Thailand's general legal image, since such harsh penalties (imprisonment) for a visa overstay is not reflective, nor indicative of a democratic country, certain countries have such laws but they are not democratic countries, nor are they tourists countries, therefore Thailand who is in a different category should avoid the implementation of such a law.

Yes, they have broken the 'visa' law, Yes, there is a time factor of 3 & 6 weeks, Yes, they have acted in a silly manner, but they have caused no problems in Thailand, on the contrary whilst being here they have helped the country with their daily spending.

Thus this must be regarded as a civil law, not criminal law, and the over-stayers are aware that the penalty is a financial fine of 20 K. this could also be be increased, no problems at all, but imprisonment for this is inappropriate and negative for Thailand's image, and foreigners, (tourists or otherwise) will not be impressed with the existence of such a harsh law.

• Like 1

Why give an amnesty

Put them in the slammer day for day.

What a looser you are, worse than the offenders you want to 'hang, draw and quarter'. :annoyed:

I know a number of guys who have this long term problem, they are not bad men just victims of circumstances that have got out of control. OK they have/had an option of escaping with a ticket and 20K Baht which has apparently been stopped without warning. IMO An amnesty is the correct action!

AND sirchai, your another politically correct, hand wringing looser!

Edited by bdenner

no this is going to scare a lot of people. they vshould at least give a bit of grace like not start for a month so overstayers can leave

No, they shouldn't wait. These people who're doing any crimes and/or overstay for such a long time made it for so many years pretty hard for those who pay taxes, always working with a WP and always having a valid visa.

It's already obvious that many Thais started to dislike us foreigners because of so many who broke the rules.

How's it in other countries? I'm sure people like you are always for the Immigration in your home country that foreigners without a valid visa are getting kicked out, right?

To be perfectly honest, i hate to read so many stories about criminals from other countries. As a matter of fact, they think we're all similar.

There's only a few reasons for an overstay, like an accident. NO MERCY. :jap:

I have just checked with some people who know what this is all about. Basically the is regurgitating the rules. It is not a change from the past, preset or future. It is in fact what the law states. They also said straight out - there is no likelihood of arrest. So who is pulling whose pud by this forum blog? whistling.gif

Oh finally a good news! i was so concerned about going out at night time (but even during the day for that matter), knowing that i might eventually came across one of the very feared "overstayers" , i can cope with almost any sort of issues or dangers, but having to deal with a man/woman which is not a "quality tourist" is already bad enough, leave alone someone which break this vital law! is just too much, nevermind the killers, scammers, abusers,cheaters,thiefs around us, the constant chronic break of safety standards and human rights, etc.., go and get the overstayers that's the real crime in this country, the main priority for the resolution of all major problems affecting the country for sure, thank you amazing Thailand! :D

Well. I think it's about time the Immigration Police started to do their job. But then again with people like you around that can not see any good in anything then I guess so beit.

I have just checked with some people who know what this is all about. Basically the is regurgitating the rules. It is not a change from the past, preset or future. It is in fact what the law states. They also said straight out - there is no likelihood of arrest. So who is pulling whose pud by this forum blog? whistling.gif

Put it down to have been an interesting day of handbag slapping B)

to all you self righteous high and mighty folks out there! have you ever had sex with a bar girl/prostitute in thailand? if you answer yes then you have broken the law and are no better than the overstayers. tut tut !!!!!!

What law have they broken? The 1999 Prostitution Act provides for penalties for the customers of prostitutes, if the prostitutes are less than 18 years of age or, if their transaction with or solicitation of a prostitute causes a public nuisance. Do you assume that all have either had an underage prostitute or created a public nuisance with one or both? Why post mindless trash?

• Like 1

What law have they broken? The 1999 Prostitution Act provides for penalties for the customers of prostitutes, if the prostitutes are less than 18 years of age or, if their transaction with or solicitation of a prostitute causes a public nuisance. Do you assume that all have either had an underage prostitute or created a public nuisance with one or both? Why post mindless trash?

seems that everybody else doesrolleyes.gif

Some people working in bars have been on overstay for years and the local police turn a blind eye -- Money talks

Maybe, just maybe it will not, What better way to take a bite out of localized corruption than to interfere with the immigration "shakedown"?

One of the realities some foreigners do not want to address is that almost all of the illegal activity associated with foreigners is undertaken by people that are in violation of their visas. I don't understand how anyone can be upset. The visa laws are part of the local legal environment and if we want to visit or stay in Thailand we have to respect those rules and regulations, just as other countries expect visitors to respect their respective visa rules. 42 days is more than enough time to deal with a crisis that would cause an overstay. I don't think this change in approach is going to impact the typical foreigner since the majority of people are in compliance. Much ado about nothing. Sorry.

• Like 1

u would have to read the whole thread to see where i was coming from. There are member of thai visa that are castigating people for overstaying and yet have probably broken the law by using prostitutes. People who live in glass house and all that.

No mention of Law.

No mention of "something bad" preventing travel.

No mention of "demand for immediate service".

Well, the Law once said you had to notify authorities of Jews hiding... Laws are written by humans and sometimes those laws are bad. This particular law is nothing but another method of extracting more money out of farangs. Farangs are not exactly competing with Thais to get jobs or get allowance money out of Thai government. No, you are on your own here, unlike in the West where you will get government money in many cases as foreigner or at least health care.

Thailand would benefit greatly by allowing foreign ownership at least smaller companies and making immigration laws much more clear. Visa runs are totally useless, another method of extracting money out of farangs, in a way another broken window fallacy. For example in Mexico, if you can show 1000 dollars per month income coming abroad, you can stay. Easy and simple. No hassle with this mammoth bureaucracy for the benefit of that same bureaucracy.

thats another reason why tourism is down (I know from what I see...not the stats posted..empty hotels..far less foreigners) there are greener places people are heading too. no wonder. the fact its so nationalistic definetely discourages a lot of people. I just try to hang in there!

too bad for those who are jailed with unusual circumstances, or other cases not involving deliberate overstay.

If there are medical or other compelling reasons forcing you to stay longer, you or a representative (bearing a release form signed by you) can go to immigration and have extensions granted. A coupleof years ago, I managed to get an extra 30 days for a friend who was stuck in the hospital with a serious injury - wasn't easy getting him to sign it off since he was only semi conscious most of the time.

If they want to clear out the rubbish, introduce a 1 month amnesty after that anyone who overstays should be fair game.

Agree 100% if you say: "This rule start from NOW" like all rules in the visa and you dont give nodoby the time for "follow" the rules also when you change simple things like one document more, its mean you want give trouble.

Now all that people what they do? easy, like the cambodian and lao that come in Thailand for work illegal, they use real criminal and pay them for go outside Thailand, they go in the nearest Embassy and ask a new passport.

Thank you Thaivisa for give us all the times the news and the support for the visa...whitout you we are all in overstay!

PS: I dont talk about the law is rhight or wrong BUT the mode for apply.

Edited by oceano

as it stood, if you got caught or handed yourself in in Pattaya the judge will give you 10 days in jail or a 2000b fine, or 200b a day, after that you can go as soon as you have organised a ticket, and you dont have to pay the 20,000b fine, so its not a bad deal if you can handle the yaba smoke in the cells. its rumoured to be more expensive in Bangkok. But in either case its always been that if you do the jail or pay the court fine you dont have to pay the overstay and I imagine thats still how it is

Is this really true? Can someone confirm, thanx