Thai Immigration Introduces Jail Time For Overstayers

2007 soovanaboome

had a 30 day visa ; man tells me to follow him ,my son's mother asks why , says 31 , she count 30they argue a bit , I'm baffled ; I just have to fill a form but customs officer is strange, doesn't speak , very jnervous so I'm uncomfortable . Get out of cubicle, all right ; my ex tells me a lady customs told her ko -tôt na, he just back to work, he is baba bobo.

soova na boome shuffle.

I'm not impressed and I don't care, this is not about Thailand and America is even worse. People who created an overstay like this should not complain, because they are 'joking' with the law, simple.

Don't expect privileges that even your own country does not provide, it's too easy (and boring!) to always use the 'Thailand again' tone.

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Jail for overstaying is BARBARIC. Do not support this. Accept it, understand it, by all means AVOID it, but do NOT support it.

Humm... Sorry I don't know laws abroad, but what happen to someone taken in overstay in Europe or in America ? I would bet jail too...

I have never read such wailing,gnashing of teeth and tearing of cloth than this thread has generated. Also complete lack of knowledge of Thai immigration laws. The Thai authorities donot enforce enough laws and they get flack they put a bit more behind their laws and they get flack. There seems to be fair number of posters on this thread who have bipolar diease.

This thread has defiantly brough out personal insecurities and dislike for Thais, if I felt about Thailand the way some of you folks have on this thread I would be on the first plane out or never come back.

And a question to a earlier post pray tale how will this affect tourism the majority of real tourist come on a visa exempt stamp at airport and have a return ticket home which they use at the end of their vacation.

• Like 2

A lot of expats here seemed to have caught an odd variation of the Stockholm Syndrome. Jail for overstaying is BARBARIC. Do not support this. Accept it, understand it, by all means AVOID it, but do NOT support it.

Most countries detain you for lengthy overstays. I know the U.S. blacklists people who overstay. There are a few Thais I know who can't go back due to overstaying their student visas.

I'm sure everyone on this board would agree that the United States of America should institute a similiar policy with it's neighbors, especially Mexico and even it's other international friends. Right?

If you are caught illegal in the US you will be incarcerated until you see a immigration judge. This is one of the latest moves that has forced down illegal immigration from Mexico

Jail for overstaying is BARBARIC. Do not support this. Accept it, understand it, by all means AVOID it, but do NOT support it.

Humm... Sorry I don't know laws abroad, but what happen to someone taken in overstay in Europe or in America ? I would bet jail too...

Civilized countries may sometime detain, but they PAY for deportation. Thailand keeps you in jail unless you can pay for your own deportation. People showing up at the airport with fines are DEPORTING themselves. Let them on the plane! Don't support these anti-foreigner laws. Leave that to the Thai police; they don't need our help, and that does not make you a "good farang" in their eyes.

Edited by Jingthing

About time a country enforces it immigration laws. Hopefully the US Ambassador to Thailand will forward this information to Hillary and on to Obama and then down to Reid and Pelosi as an appropriate immigration policy.

Borders make Nations!!

Thailand is showing the way. Are you listening US and Europe

• Like 1

Civilized countries may sometime detain, but they PAY for deportation. Thailand keeps you in jail unless you can pay for your own deportation. People showing up at the airport with fines are DEPORTING themselves. Let them on the plane! Don't support these anti-foreigner laws. Leave that to the Thai police; they don't need our help, and that does not make you a "good farang" in their eyes.

What ridiculousness. They are detaining as a penalty because as it stands right now it's cheaper to break the law with the 20,000 baht loophole than it is to get a legal visa in some cases. Of course they have to add on some disincentive so people don't keep abusing this.

• Like 1

These jails lack basic human rights and while its difficult to sympathise with heroin traffickers and rapists I don't think over stayers need to be put in disgusting Thai jails.

They are not in "disgusting Thai jails" but in the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC),

and according to witness it's not so bad as a prison.

Someone on an 'O' visa can indefinitely extend their stay? I don't think so.

You can get yearly extensions of stay or apply for permanent residency.

You can may get yearly extensions...

but only if you are in one of some categories, like Thai wife, Thai children, retired,...

Not every one who get a O visa can get yearly extensions :(

To bad they donot qualify for extension of stay, go home until they do.

If foreigners are not going to advocate for OTHER foreigners in Thailand, who will? Don't you see that? The deck is already loaded. Do you think more harsh policies about some foreigners protects you as you imagine you are seen as a "good farang"?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I guess it depends on your definition of civilized, but many countries round up and lock up people on overstay. Anyway, easy enough to avoid, just look at the admitted until date and leave before then. If they are to ignorant to understand that, then perhaps it is better than don't leave their home country.

• Like 2

I'm sure everyone on this board would agree that the United States of America should institute a similiar policy with it's neighbors, especially Mexico and even it's other international friends. Right?

Not just right but; ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !!!!

This American says negative for several different reasons. I could go on all day on a couple of them, but to make a long story short, the answer is no. If you're American, don't assume everyone agrees with you. If you're not, don't put us all in a box.

I guess it depends on your definition of civilized, but many countries round up and lock up people on overstay. ...

If they round up, the intention is to DEPORT ASAP. No need to round up people who are leaving as I repeat again -- they are DEPORTING THEMSELVES. Wake up, people. Do you think Thai people overseas would be squawking for the foreign countries they are in to lock up their OWN people who are in overstay legal trouble? Not in a million years. It's distasteful. Leave the barbaric policing and xenophobia to the Thais, they don't need any foreign help with this!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thai Immigration officers are loving this! This will allow them to extort money from foreigners upon their departure. Lets see, it should go something like this. "Sir, you overstay your Visa. Come with me." After they take you in the office. The negotiations start. "Since you are here over 21 days past your Visa. We must arrest you and take you to jail." Of course, the affected person will want to avoid this at any cost, so then, when the affected party asks what they can do to avoid going to jail? The answer will always be the same. How much you can give the Immigration officer that nabbed you. $$$ and Thai corruption go hand in hand... Just open the door for them to do as they please.

It should not be up to the officer that catches the overstayer. It should be cut and dry for each offense. They should have exactly the same penalty for each offender depending on the length of their overstay, rather then leaving it up to the officer that detains the person. This is just an open door for CORRUPTION from Thailands Finest.

Sure, it might happen.

But it is also the expats job to make sure they are not on overstay.

Yes, shit can happen, but when some have been here for years and not even tried to be up to date on their papers while some of us have to pay dearly to be...

• Like 1

If foreigners are not going to advocate for OTHER foreigners in Thailand, who will? Don't you see that? The deck is already loaded. Do you think more harsh policies about some foreigners protects you as you imagine you are seen as a "good farang"?

Your right jingthing we should overthrow the government,

or we could just follow the Thai's rule of law.

If they round up, the intention is to DEPORT ASAP. No need to round up people who are leaving as I repeat again -- they are DEPORTING THEMSELVES. Wake up, people. Do you think Thai people overseas would be squawking for the foreign countries they are in to lock up their OWN people who are in overstay legal trouble? Not in a million years. It's distasteful. Leave the barbaric policing and xenophobia to the Thais, they don't need any foreign help with this!

That's not true. Illegals who are rounded up sometimes have to serve jail time on top of that before being deported. That's part of the penalty otherwise it's too easy to use the border as a revolving door.

How about if you overstay the 90-days report to the immigration office, having a one-year visa? Is there a fine too if you forgot to report after 90 days, let's say two weeks too late?

That is a different subject, but yes, if you do your 90 day report late you can be fined. The norm is that you are fined 2,000 baht.

First you have to do the paper for failure to report, pay fine, then they'll process your new 90-day report. Assuming your visa is still valid no big deal.

How many day late you may be max I do not know, but search in this forum you'll probably find the answer (subject to change :) )

Edited by rubl

That's not true. Illegals who are rounded up sometimes have to serve jail time on top of that before being deported. That's part of the penalty otherwise it's too easy to use the border as a revolving door.

I am sure the specifics vary country by country. However, civilized countries do PAY for deportation. In this case, the Thai government is forcing these people who probably can't afford it to THROW AWAY expensive air tickets, and then later come up with big money for a new air ticket and additional fines. Money, money, money.

I disassociate myself from that sick remark entirely. Don't twist my words in such a disgusting manner, I won't have it. I said NOTHING of the kind and you know it.

Yet you only quoted half of what I said,

Loosen up dude its a bit of light hearted banter

I am sure the specifics vary country by country. However, civilized countries do PAY for deportation. In this case, the Thai government is forcing these people who probably can't afford it to THROW AWAY expensive air tickets, and then later come up with big money for a new air ticket and additional fines. Money, money, money.

Deportation costs depend on the circumstances. The U.S. border has become so porous that there are daily buses that dump the illegals back over everyday. For Thailand they do the same thing with illegals from Myanmar, Cambodia, etc.. but for expats further than that the best they can hope for is that they can pony up the cash to leave. There's no reason the Thai taxpayer should bear this burden.

If foreigners are not going to advocate for OTHER foreigners in Thailand, who will?

Why on earth would I want to support a bunch of people who broke the law of the host country mate just because they're foreign? <deleted> to them basically.

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

I disassociate myself from that sick remark entirely. Don't twist my words in such a disgusting manner, I won't have it. I said NOTHING of the kind and you know it.

Yet you only quoted half of what I said,

Loosen up dude its a bit of light hearted banter

No. What you said wasn't funny. That is a very serious charge you made and you DID not indicate any jest.

Edited by Jingthing

Deportation costs depend on the circumstances. The U.S. border has become so porous that there are daily buses that dump the illegals back over everyday. For Thailand they do the same thing with illegals from Myanmar, Cambodia, etc.. but for expats further than that the best they can hope for is that they can pony up the cash to leave. There's no reason the Thai taxpayer should bear this burden.

I agree! No reason! Let those who show up with a ticket and fine on the bloody plane!
  • Like 1