Nationwide Crackdown On Night Venues

george

Crackdown on night venues

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Interior Minister Boonjong Wongtrairat yesterday threatened to transfer provincial governors who are unable to prevent entertainment venues from operating illegally.

He said the operators of the illegal venues would also face legal action.

The threat was made after Boonjong led officials on a check of pubs around Dhurakij Pundit University in Bangkok, and discovered that many operated without a proper licence and opened their doors to under-age customers.

Boonjong also said he would have the national police chief punish police officers for allowing illegal entertainment venues to operate under their jurisdiction. He also urged residents to alert his ministry if these entertainment venues caused nuisance or problems.

Metropolitan Police Division 5 commander Maj-General Anuchai Lekbamrung, meanwhile, said he had instructed the superintendent of the Wat Phraya Krai Police Station to explain why a big pub in his area of Bang Kho Laem district could operate beyond authorised hours.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-25

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Metropolitan Police Division 5 commander Maj-General Anuchai Lekbamrung, meanwhile, said he had instructed the superintendent of the Wat Phraya Krai Police Station to explain why a big pub in his area of Bang Kho Laem district could operate beyond authorised hours.'

Because they paid a hefty bribe to the superintendent and his pals prehaps???

What about the sidewalk bars along Sukhumvit Rd.

The ones that open until the breakfast street shops open, right? I used to drive there every day around 6 in the morning to bring my daughter to school, and it was quite an interesting sight... The sidewalks were full of morning people going to work, street bars still open with people falling asleep on their stool (when they were not sleeping on the sidewalk), street vendors trading place with the street bars packing up for the night, and unlucky tired bar-girls smiling to me and calling me in a last attempt to get a customer that night (and totally ignoring that I was having a young girl sitting in the passenger seat, and that I was dressed like someone going to work).

I really miss that now that I moved away and don't need to drive that way anymore...

>Crackdown on night venues

1. A "witch-hunting" for something REAALY SOOO IMPOOOOORTANT to this country, to the safety of locals and to the internal improvements progress, so-called "reconciliation"

2. Another nail in the tourism's coffin. Sad but true. Hotels are empty (emptiest I ever see for decades), and what we're doing now? Cancelling one more tourist's service, raising thai baht, allow rallies under SOE - and expecting the INCREASE of the arrivals. High-class arrivals, yeah. A dumbest dumberers! A HUB of idiots!!!

3. They got to find ANOTHER job to those who will be fired from those bars - just to let them survive. Will they care those who lost their jobs? We all know the answer.

4. The bombs are still exploding on the streets. Daily! Yeah, it is 2nd-priority task to fix it comparing to the night venues.

Im really tired of all of these idioticities......

Edited by alex_aka_P
  • Like 2

1. A "witch-hunting" for something REAALY SOOO IMPOOOOORTANT to this country, to the safety of locals and to the internal improvements progress, so-called "reconciliation"

2. Another nail in the tourism's coffin. Sad but true. Hotels are empty (emptiest I ever see for decades), and what we're doing now? Cancelling one more tourist's service, raising thai baht, allow rallies under SOE - and expecting the INCREASE of the arrivals. High-class arrivals, yeah. A dumbest dumberers! A HUB of idiots!!!

3. They got to find ANOTHER job to those who will be fired from those bars - just to let them survive. Will they care those who lost their jobs? We all know the answer.

4. The bombs are still exploding on the streets. Daily! Yeah, it is 2nd-priority task to fix it comparing to the night venues.

And then while they're at it invading the pubs/bars, they'll check for any farangs for overstays and throw'em in jail too. As recently announced.

News releases/conferences like this remind me of the little boy in the classroom who wanted attention, thus the crude noises. It was this mans day in the barrel to have his name and position publicized so people will take note of him. The news article has about as much substance as a popcorn fart.

Yes it is that time of year when the police auction starts - this is where they all bid to take the top command jobs in all the police stations around the country.

The amount that is transacted collectively must be phenomenal, last I heard the top job in Pattaya went for around 9 million, so where does all that money come from and more so, where does it go, especially given the average salary of a BIB.

Its all very boring and when I know of at least four bars in Nana owned by Police, it doesn't take blind Freddy to figure out they are trying to remove the competition. So they do the PR exercise and make the 'crackdown' statement and then absorb the bar into their fold.

"Metropolitan Police Division 5 commander Maj-General Anuchai Lekbamrung, meanwhile, said he had instructed the superintendent of the Wat Phraya Krai Police Station to explain why a big pub in his area of Bang Kho Laem district could operate beyond authorised hours."

"We didn't notice"

"We own it"

"They give us handouts"

Take your pick. I just know the good Major-General isn't going to like the answer...

Yes it is that time of year when the police auction starts - this is where they all bid to take the top command jobs in all the police stations around the country.

The amount that is transacted collectively must be phenomenal, last I heard the top job in Pattaya went for around 9 million, so where does all that money come from and more so, where does it go, especially given the average salary of a BIB.

Nine years ago the word on the street was the new head honcho - who was going to clear Pattaya up - paid 10 million to get the job. 

I believe they are talking about the little bars spread out all over Thailand. Usually frequented by Thai's only. Not foreigners. I've seen these places driving by at 5pm(Nonthaburi) they pop-up out of nowhere. Some are little shacks with Christmas lights and some are pretty big with the usual hookers hanging outside. Those are the ones being targeted. Remember you're reading THAI news in ENGLISH. Just because its in English doesn't mean it applies to only you :)

Wow, Underage boys and girls getting into pubs in Bangkok, especially near a well known and highly respected Education Institution. Oh, my! I hope they weren't drinking Grape soda's and having ice-cream.

The fact is, everyone knows and see's Thai university and high school students getting into pubs, esp. around AoToGu area. I've seen it, though I hate it when one of my students looks at me and decides to tell the whole school about where they seen me at.

• Like 1

C'mon folks get real. If Thailand had a functional government, bueaurocracy, police force and military would you live there? If you want to live in a country where illegally operated businesses are not tolerated, where the politicians and police are, generally, not corrupt (or at least not so openly) you'd be back in your home country.

Everyone, including the illegal operators, know this is just so much hot air. Give it a week or so and all will be back to normal, assuming anything happens at all.

And then while they're at it invading the pubs/bars, they'll check for any farangs for overstays and throw'em in jail too. As recently announced.

It's the same in all countries. In the UK, the immigration is out in force every day finding illegal immigrants. They are contstantly harrassing restaurant owners and even targetting people outside tube stations on the way to work.

If farangs don't want to be thrown into jai or fined then they should stick to the visa rules. It's very easy to renew your visa so there's really no excuse. The only farangs that complain are the ones that think they own the country and think that just because they have a bit of money that the rules shouldn't apply to them. Get real.

Edited by w11guy

Your concern for tourists and the bar workers is touching. Make mine a large one while you're at the bar:rolleyes:

Can just imagine a few young people from the west browsing through the holiday brouchures coming across Phuket.

Oh WoW! look the bars all close at 2am.

Ok we know they don't but it's got to be offputing for a lot of young tourists who like to party.

Is the Thai objective to fool the west into thinking they are mkaing this all out effort to keep Thailand squeaky clean and potect their would be inncocent teenagers?

Certainly looks that way

When George Bush came here you couldn't find a street stall selling knock offs for love nor money. 5 minutes after he left they were all back in action.

They are activatively blocking English language adult sites based in Europe, the USA etc while the Thai language forums are filled to the brim with Thais uploading graphic sex pictures and movies for others to download.

They recently said the were blocking betting on the football. I raed they blocked Betfair (they must be nuts and don't need the income) but missed the footy and hit UK horse racing, not American not German or french racing which you can still bet on only the UK Duh!!!. At the same time the Asian bookmakers the Thais use online have a secondry url and they all remain unafected

Just seems to me it's all a big front and the only thing it achieves is to annoy the hel_l out of some farang living in Thailand and it's a bit late in life to be trying to protect them from the big bad world.

Edited by Tanlic