Norwegian Man Robbed At Taser-Point By Pattaya Youths

Rimmer

Norwegian Man Robbed at Taser-Point by Pattaya Youths

PATTAYA: -- A Norwegian man has been robbed of nearly Bt90,000 in cash and possessions while walking along Pattaya Beach on Wednesday. The offenders are reported to be two Thai youths, who held the victim at taser-point before committing the robbery.

Pattaya, the 29th of September 2010 [PDN]: At approximately 11:00pm on Wednesday, Lieutenant Colonel Natthawat Srithongphet (Pattaya Police Investigator) was notified of a robbery involving a foreign man along Pattaya Beach. A team of officers was dispatched to the incident to investigate.

At the scene, along Pattaya Beach opposite Soi Pattayaland 1 (Soi 13/1), officers were confronted by a Norwegian man, Mr. Preben Ehefsen [37]. Mr. Ehefsen, in a state of shock, explained that two Thai teenagers who had threatened him with a high-voltage taser and then robbed him of all his possessions and cash.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

footer_n.gif

2010-09-30

Why would anyone walk along Pattaya beach with B90,000? Why would anyone go to Pattaya?

The first part of you reply is an interesting question; the second part not even worthy of a troll.

However, being held-up at taser-point is a new one to me...gotta hand it to the kids for creativity (and use of non-lethal force). Something sounds fishy about the B 90k...maybe he thinks he can spin the police report for this amount into reimbursement from his travel insurer or something.

Or he is just one of those people who are dumb enough to bring their entire holiday spending budget in cash and walk with it. They really DO exist!!!

Hang on they said cash AND POSSESSIONS.

The two teenagers, suspected to be part of a problematic youth gang operating in the area, allegedly stole a Bt46,000 gold necklace, a Breitling watch valued at Bt26,000, a Sony digital camera valued at Bt15,000 and approximately Bt1,500 in cash from Mr. Ehefsen
Edited by draftvader

UPDATE

Norwegian Tourist attacked with stun gun and robbed on Pattaya Beach

PATTAYA: -- A Norwegian Tourist reported an armed theft which occurred on Pattaya Beach, in the early hours of Thursday Morning. Mr. Preben Ellefsen aged 37 made a report at Pattaya Police Station to confirm the incident which occurred on Pattaya Beach Road, in front of Soi Pattayaland 2. He described two Thai men aged around 20 to 25 who approached him. One of them was armed with an electric stun gun,

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2010-09-30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Why would anyone walk along Pattaya beach with B90,000? Why would anyone go to Pattaya?

Are you surprised that people with some money DO choose Pattaya? We are not all destitute here!!

B90,000 is approx AUD3k. A mid priced watch perhaps? Some cash? SOme sundry not so expensive jewellry like a plain wedding ring? A camera? A mobile phone? It adds up...and these are pretty ordinary things.

This might be the start of a worrying trend of mugging in Pattaya by taser gun.

I think that most long time residents here don't wear neck chains, don't carry large sums of cash and don't wear genuine expensive watches or walk along the beachside of Pattaya Beach Road after dusk; (when alone.)

If crimes like this continue in Pattaya it will, over time, have a negative upon tourism.

a fool and his money ( possesions) are soon parted

Really what a daft comment. Because someone gets robbed they are now a fool ?

Or, should everyone walk around Pattaya in flipflops, shorts and a singlet with 500 baht in cash just incase they happen to get targeted by criminals ?

The mindset of some of the posters on TV who chose to blame the victims of crime really baffles me - 'its tantamount to saying the girl deserved to be raped because she was attractive'

• Like 1

A cheap Chinese taser? :lol: Oh well story is a bit better now that it was possessions mostly - I was thinking surely the lad doesnt walk around with 90k in dosh, only muppets do that. 11PM and Beach Rd/Soi Pattayaland? Quite busy then, so seems a bit odd. I'd told them to stuff it personally. :fight:

Or, should everyone walk around Pattaya in flipflops, shorts and a singlet with 500 baht in cash just incase they happen to get targeted by criminals ?

The mindset of some of the posters on TV who chose to blame the victims of crime really baffles me - 'its tantamount to saying the girl deserved to be raped because she was attractive'

Well said.

I did not bother to respond to this asinine post by 'phuketrichard' because I realise that on open forums you do get people with limited intelligence, no education and an absolutely retarded outlook on social intercourse.

:unsure:

• Like 2

"Bt46,000 gold necklace, a Breitling watch valued at Bt26,000, a Sony digital camera valued at Bt15,000 and approximately Bt1,500 in cash..."

Maybe this guy is a first time visitor and did not realize that wearing nice shiny things attracts criminal activity.

Wait, aren't there security cameras along the beach?

TheWalkingMan

"should everyone walk around Pattaya in flipflops, shorts and a singlet with 500 baht in cash"

From those I have observed recently most dont look as if they have 500 baht in cash, flip flops and wife beater shirt are de rigueur.

Poor lad should have stuck to soi buakhao, the muggers dont even bother going there.

Everyone should be armed with a video camera, streaming live to both the tourist and local police department emergency response units.

The best way to deter crime is to put their face on live video links to the authorities and online too.

That way, the world is watching these thugs and tourists can decide if they truly wish to make their next holiday in the pristine beaches of Pattaya.

However, being held-up at taser-point is a new one to me...

Probably a toy. I doubt many randomly chosen Norwegians wandering around Pattaya Beach at 11:00 PM would have a clue what a Taser looks like and I doubt many Thai youths would be capable of announcing intelligibly in the Nor-Eng-Thai language, "Give us your B90,000 in possessions or we'll Taser you."

I'm guessing the enterprising youth target people who are demonstrably drunk. They could probably have bought a stuffed animal toy and threatened to let their lethal pink-plush attack bunny ravage him with similar results.

At the scene,...officers were confronted by a Norwegian man, Mr. Preben Ehefsen [37]. Mr. Ehefsen, in a state of shock
In a state of shock is a euphemism for intoxicated & incoherent. Edited by Suradit

B90,000 in possessions NOT in cash... Right ?

Why any one want to go to Pattaya ?? Here is nice, that's why.... I'm sure you can find bad people everywhere even where you live, right ? Pattaya is so much more than the bars and Crazy farangs hunting for sex....

:):)

I reckon they picked a good victim. Strip me bare, and let's break it down --

old watch -- 200 baht

cash -- 3,000 baht MAX

jewelry -- 0

used clothes -- 100 baht

That would be the same for me....except no old watch! But they would get my cell phone which I purchased used in Malaysia 5 years ago! That might be worth 50B? :D

90,000 baht is not that much. Only 3,000 USD at today's rates. Maybe the guy had just landed and was looking for a hotel room. I certainly have traveled to Pattaya with 3K USD. Of course I don't walk around with much once I check in, but the guy may have been in transit. I also only wear Walmart types of clothes, no name brand Gucci type of stuff. I also only wear an $8 USD cheap watch. I don't wear any jewelry at all,etc, so I don't think I look like much of a target.