If You Are Listening To Music Now..

Anybody got more Buddy Guy Stories? That guy, to me, is one of the greatest. Combines so much goodness from so many, and makes it his own. Bloody marvellous man.

Now listening to Buddy Guy & SRV with I believe Ry Cooder.

It's a blues track I can't place.. Jimi did this track too though... I think... :o

It's like a mix of Red House and Once I had a woman, same same but very different... sort of... I've got it entitled only as "Blues Jam", a 25 minute jam from a concert of Buddy Guy's where he invites up "My best friend.. The best guitarist, C'mon up here Stevie..." Any idea's...?

Been trying to find out more about it..

As far as I can find (so far) it was in Buddy Guys Club in Chicago, probably in 1980..

found some quotes about it:

Stevie Ray Vaughan once declared that Buddy Guy "plays from a place that I've never heard anyone play." Vaughan continued:

Buddy can go from one end of the spectrum to another. He can play quieter than anybody I've ever heard, or wilder and louder than anybody I've ever heard. I play pretty loud a lot of times, but Buddy's tones are incredible…he pulls such emotion out of so little volume. Buddy just has this cool feel to everything he does. And when he sings, it's just compounded. Girls fall over and sweat and die! Every once in a while I get the chance to play with Buddy, and he gets me every time, because we could try to go to Mars on guitars but then he'll start singing, sing a couple of lines, and then stick the mike in front of me! What are you gonna do? What is a person gonna do?!

Jeff Beck affirmed:

Geez, you can’t forget Buddy Guy. He transcended blues and started becoming theater. It was high art, kind of like drama theater when he played, you know. He was playing behind his head long before Hendrix. I once saw him throw the guitar up in the air and catch it in the same chord.

Beck recalled the night he and Stevie Ray Vaughan jammed with Guy at Buddy Guy’s Legends club in Chicago: “That was just the most incredible stuff I ever heard in my life. The three of us all jammed and it was so thrilling. That is as close you can come to the heart of the blues.”

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just heard a track (for my first time) of Albert King jamming with SRV at the "In Session - 1983"

During the session, it's awesome... King is almost like "mentoring" srv on stage, and stevie is "learning" from King

but then a complete role reversal, nearly:

track was Blues at sunrise, and albert King is talking to stevie (as they slo-blues jam quietly) about this time he recorded with Jimi...

"

AKing: You've heard me play this many time.. this is that thing I uh.. I recorded with Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin at the Fillmore West... Uh.. Uh.. hehe... uh.. Blues at Sunrise.. yeah... .. You'll remember how we used to settle down, after we got tired of jumping up and down in the club, you know, ..we'd back up and reach in and get one from the bottom...

(*slow blues mini solo - straight forward, crunchie, minor chills up and down the spine, from SRV)

AKing: Nah, you see, you got to play them Jimi Hendrix Licks, cos he (He) was on this too...

(*SRV kick in with what could only be heard as Jimi Licks... technique and passion... Argh.. so good...slightly major chills up & down the spine :o *)

verse 1 & 2 then...

A.King: At the Fillmore West.. hahaha... I looked around one nightand I saw a guy looked just like you...I said, " i know that ain't Stevie that eased in down there.. " By that time, Jimi, he say, "So, let's play some Blues?" I said, "okay, but not without the Queen." That's Janis (srv laughs) Janis she came down, with her little glass.. she always had her little glass... she said, "What's happening?" I say "we gonna play some blues, but you gonna start us off" She says, "cooL".. Bout that time Jimi hits some licks...

SRV hit's dream inducing licks.. sending albert king off in howls of amazed laughter...

Palestrina: Missa 'Sine Nomine'

Listening to:

Janacek: 'Jenufa' music CD....used condition but playable is O.K

:D

nah.. not really!

But your above post got me thinking of the lovely Nina Simone (the way the name of your Palestrina Mass track is spelled, so I'm off to find her album I have here somewhere..

ah... yes, found it: Start with "Don't let me be misunderstood"

"somtimes I am so carefree... "

"I'm just a soul who's intentions are goooood!" :o

Edited by kayo

Palestrina: Missa 'Sine Nomine'

Listening to:

Janacek: 'Jenufa' music CD....used condition but playable is O.K

:D

nah.. not really!

But your above post got me thinking of the lovely Nina Simone (the way the name of your Palestrina Mass track is spelled, so I'm off to find her album I have here somewhere..

ah... yes, found it: Start with "Don't let me be misunderstood"

"somtimes I am so carefree... "

"I'm just a soul who's intentions are goooood!" :o

You got me then!

I really thought that you had 'Jenufa';

Time to change the CD......to.......Mazzy Star.

First track: 'Fade into You'; a big hit in the U.S.A. I believe?

Kan'Nal

All things Change

(this is a multi national band that formed on the lake I used to live in in Guate, and when on to the states for tours and record deals. In 2005 they returned to write record samples for a new album and played my bar several times. Their music can be beautifully soft, Tribally turbulent, and downright Destructive, according to the tune/mood, but they are:

the band, the dancers and entertainers, the a/v team, which I like about them,

their shows were music, backscreen visual displays and in front of the stage, fire dancers, etc...

Some productive hippy wannabees, for a change.

Kan'Nal