Compassion?

faranginbkk

I have seen a severely mentally ill woman lying on the pavement just a few meters outside Lerdsin Hospital in Silom rd (near highway). Can somebody pls help her? I don't know what to do......sorry. She is obviously very ill and I hope some Thai or somebody who can speak Thai will could help her. The hospital is very near.....but it seems nobody cares. Thanks.

Forget those who (will) say don't get involved, if no one is assisting her, I assume no one can see her where she is??? get back there and motion to the nearest thai shop keeper and physically take her to the hospital.

Edit 1-This better NOT be a troll (like Som Tam) :o

Edit 2-Pm'd you my mobile, have to go to out now, so call if u need translation

Edited by baht&sold

When I say severely mentally ill - she is covered in dirt, lying on the pavement, cannot move much, and with compulsory movements. I think she cannot stand up. She needs PROFESSIONAL help. Can anybody who speaks Thai call an institution or hospital??

I have seen a severely mentally ill woman lying on the pavement just a few meters outside Lerdsin Hospital in Silom rd (near highway).  Can somebody pls help her?  I don't know what to do......sorry.  She is obviously very ill and I hope some Thai or somebody who can speak Thai will could help her.  The hospital is very near.....but it seems nobody cares.  Thanks.

You are a CEO of a company in Bangkok, aren't you?

How are you able to still hold this job in the face of, "I don't know what to do?"

I have seen a severely mentally ill woman lying on the pavement just a few meters outside Lerdsin Hospital in Silom rd

Why don't you go into the hospital, you will find someone English speaking there and get them to come out and have a look at her. If not, grab some porters that work at the hospital and take her in yourself with them. I assmue since you've managed to go home and get on the internet and the fact that she is lying outside of a hospital the matter is already hopefully being dealt with.

Edited by bkkmadness

Not very helpful are you, Harmonica? Thanks to baht&sold for your help.

I have told the hospital, and they went to see her. She is homeless and mentally ill. They said there are many people like that, and not much they can do about it.....sad.

Edited by faranginbkk

I have seen a severely mentally ill woman lying on the pavement just a few meters outside Lerdsin Hospital in Silom rd

I see severely "trollish" post on the TV.

Harmonica's right - why don't you do it your self? btw, I've been on Silom all day yesterday and day before - didn't see much .. Just as ussual - freaks, perverts, beggers, CEOs...

Sounds very sad.

Maybe somebody should pray for her as this can help. mental illness is no laughing matter. :o

Sounds very dumb, man.

how about few coins from pocket, just a change - who knows, what might help, but surely NOT long face mumbling.

It is very intersting subject, anyway - Compasion in LoS: to Thais, farangs, your own native countrymen, relegious and just civil.

Canned ham?

I was in a seedy part of town once and found a fellow turning blue in a carpark.

I was considering mouth to mouth but decided against it. Panicing a bit, I ran to a few nearby shops to ask them to call an ambulance but no one gave a sh1t. Nobody wanted to bother.

I walked back when his friend turned up and kicked a needle away I hadn't see lying near him. Obvious why he was turning blue. :o

An ambulance arrived (don't know who called it) and after an injection, the fellow verbally abused the ambulance officers.

These situations are difficult, but to ask on a forum? Maybe I should have got online and asked someone to call an ambulance.

BaanOz

Edited by BaanOz

BaanOz, indeed horrible story.

Five years ago girl had some kind of break down in the middle of Pantip Plaza, Bkk. Everybody enjoyed the show, none (!) helped for half hour. Somehow nice old man, ( btw, died from the stroke two years later at the parking lot of the very same Pantip Plaza) appeared and helped with basic CPR....

More horror stories ?

Not very helpful are you, Harmonica?  Thanks to baht&sold for your help.

I have told the hospital, and they went to see her.  She is homeless and mentally ill.  They said there are many people like that, and not much they can do about it.....sad.

Not helpful, eh? Hehehehe :o

Why didn't you just simply immediately do what you ended up doing later anyway? -- Why the need to consult so many people on a bulletin board? :D

I applaud you for your original thought! Very nice :D

I have seen a severely mentally ill woman lying on the pavement just a few meters outside Lerdsin Hospital in Silom rd (near highway).  [...] The hospital is very near.....but it seems nobody cares.

How long have you been in Thailand?

Do you still believe the fairy tales (so prevalent on message boards like this) on the smiling, friendly, loving, caring, Buddhist Thai people who go out of their way to help farangs in distress (let alone their fellow Thais) and who share the little that they have with anyone having even less? :o

The question is: what to do when you encounter mentally ill people who cannot take care of themselves? They may not be able to feed themselves, even if you give them food.

Is there an institution or number you can call so someone can care for them?

The question is: what to do when you encounter mentally ill people who cannot take care of themselves?  They may not be able to feed themselves, even if you give them food. 

You could contact one of the Christian Churches or Missions in BKK. Sorry I dont have contact details.Maybe dontate them some baht too.

Can someone help me please?

It's nearly lunchtime and I don't know what to do. I'm feeling a bit peckish, but not famished, if you know what I mean.

I could go out and get a sandwich, or I could wander into Silom and choose a restaurant - but how to know which one will be the right one? Or I can simply do nothing, and put up with a rumbling stomach for the rest of the day.

If anyone has some good advice for me, I'd really appreciate it. I find going onto bulletin boards is by far the best way to help me decide. I'm only 40 and haven't yet worked out a better way of making such critically important judgement calls.

Thanks in advance.

You could contact one of the Christian Churches or Missions in BKK. Sorry I dont have contact details.Maybe dontate them some baht too.

Penelope,

Good idea, you could call the Salvation Army if in Oz, but as Thailand's majority is Buddhist, surely there are places of help by Buddhists?

Are Christians the only who will help in these situations?

Regards BaanOz

It's nearly lunchtime and I don't know what to do.  I'm feeling a bit peckish, but not famished, if you know what I mean. 

I could go out and get a sandwich, or I could wander into Silom and choose a restaurant - but how to know which one will be the right one?  Or I can simply do nothing, and put up with a rumbling stomach for the rest of the day.

If anyone has some good advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.  I find going onto bulletin boards is by far the best way to help me decide.  I'm only 40 and haven't yet worked out a better way of making such critically important judgement calls.

Thanks in advance.

You are the lucky one. I am shaking & sweating here after over-indulging with my alcohol intake over the past few days. My nerves are so fried i can't leave my apartment to go out and have a sandwich. I will have trouble sleeping to-night, i think i may need a 6 pack of miller to take the edge off. Maybe I can get a delivery from the local mini-mart. I guess i could get the no. from local yellow pages. Anyway enjoy your sandwich :o

The question is: what to do when you encounter mentally ill people who cannot take care of themselves?  They may not be able to feed themselves, even if you give them food. 

Take them to the nearest Internet Cafe and get them to sign-on to ThaiVisa. Then have them read all the threads on bargirls, deadbeats, reprobates, sex-maniacs, paedophiles and such.

They will walk out of the Cafe fully cured within hours if not minutes!

Guaranteed! No need to solicit the help of hospitals and locals -- they don't give a rat's ass anyway!

:o:D

QUOTE(bendix @ 2005-07-25 11:41:54)

It's nearly lunchtime and I don't know what to do.  I'm feeling a bit peckish, but not famished, if you know what I mean. 

I could go out and get a sandwich, or I could wander into Silom and choose a restaurant - but how to know which one will be the right one?  Or I can simply do nothing, and put up with a rumbling stomach for the rest of the day.

If anyone has some good advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.  I find going onto bulletin boards is by far the best way to help me decide.  I'm only 40 and haven't yet worked out a better way of making such critically important judgement calls.

Thanks in advance.

You are the lucky one. I am shaking & sweating here after over-indulging with my alcohol intake over the past few days. My nerves are so fried i can't leave my apartment to go out and have a sandwich. I will have trouble sleeping to-night, i think i may need a 6 pack of miller to take the edge off. Maybe I can get a delivery from the local mini-mart. I guess i could get the no. from local yellow pages. Anyway enjoy your sandwich 

That's a funny post Jeffrey. :o

I have been there many times. :D

There is only one to go - through. :D

Go to the doctor, get a reducing script of valium, then get yourself to AA.

I repeat don't go to Pattaya, it will be the death of you, in the state you are in.

Fair play there are some proper morons on this thread. You know who you are, the op makes a simple request and the certain few of you have a pop and take the piss, lets all just hope you arent in a similar position in the future, i am sure you wouldnt like everyone to just walk by :o

Hang on, hang on.

Didnt the OP 'just walk past also'? He saw someone in trouble and instead of doing something helpful (ie, go into the hospital and ask for assistance), something suggested itself to him that it might be a better idea to go to a website and ask a bunch of strangers for advice.

Come on!

Hang on, hang on.

Didnt the OP 'just walk past also'?    He saw someone in trouble and instead of doing something helpful (ie, go into the hospital and ask for assistance), something suggested itself to him that it might be a better idea to go to a website and ask a bunch of strangers for advice.

Come on!

Yeah he did walk by but he did go back to help, that is the difference. Some of the posters on this thread i am sure would have gone back, probably with a stick to poke them with, and laugh and jeer.

The OP wasn't sure if helping her would have been the best thing to do.. He confirmed this by asking others who know about Thailand and her sometimes strange customs, culture, and ways of doing things.

I applaud you OP.

BaanOz, indeed horrible story.

Five years ago girl had some kind of break down in the middle of Pantip Plaza, Bkk. Everybody enjoyed the show, none (!) helped for half hour. Somehow nice old man, ( btw, died from the stroke two years later at the parking lot of the very same Pantip Plaza) appeared and helped with basic CPR....

More horror stories ?

I presume this story is from personal experience ?

If so - what were you doing for the half hour where no-one helped ?

Enjoying the show ? :o:D:D