Don'T Call Yourself Khun

saraburioz

Lyndsay

How can you possibly be more Thai than farang if you can't speak thai.?why not listen to us who have been here decades and speak Thai who tell you you are wrong- Thais DONT refer to themselves as khun.

What's wrong with Silom Road ?

perhaps an additive in Beer Chang? :huh:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend calls me a jerkoff and I call her a slut, but we love each other really.

It's heartwarming to see a couple of folks suffering from Tourette's Syndrome find true happiness. :)

Yes these are the Born again Psuedo Thais,

you know,the ones that are always telling us to go home if they dont like the fact that we disagree with their new found Countries Policies ,on certain subjects.

Tragic people,first they disown their own Country (or maybe the reverse?),slag off their Homeland at every available opportunity,and then expect all and sundry to join them like demented Lemmings in their foolish quest to convert everyone else to Thaism.

Pathetic Countryless Tossers,springs to mind!

It's no problem being addresses as Khun by a indigenous Thai,but sounds utterly ridiculous coming from a Farang/Thai wannabe,who thinks he is one!

I love the pseudo Thais. Its like watching a train wreck. You can't look away. In the end, they always crash and burn when reality sets in.

In the work place it seems the norm for colleagues to refer to others in a professional manner and use 'Khun'...

Never would a Thai introduce themselves as 'Hi, I'm Khun Somchai', however when introduced to each other by another colleague it would seem normal out of professionalism and politeness to each be introduced to the other by a third party referring to them... i.e. This is Khun Somchai and this is Khun Bob.

In the work place Juniors may well use Pee for someone older and more senior they have worked with and become more familiar with. Nong is rarely used but when it is, its for someone younger and in a junior position. With familiarity of each other the use of Khun disappears unless a position of seniority exists in which case its used in a crowd.

The dynamic is also altered in a more Westernized working environment in Thailand where Thai's tend to maintain the Thai way of greeting and reference with each other but adopt the 'Mr' and some times 'Sir' when dealing with a Westerner

Socially I rarely hear Thai's refer to each other as Khun, but instead use Pee for someone older. Nong again is rarely used. With similar age groups they tend to use just the first name. It's been my experience that in social situations I'm referred to simply by name and a handful of Thai friends a year or two younger than me refer to me as Pee...

bang on smudger...

For those who insist this is a non-issue and unimportant, one needs to be reminded they live in a hierarchical society where titles are much more important than in the West. That's why Thais so often ask age-related questions so they can eventually tack on the "pee" or "nong" to your name when you become friends. Yes, it's important for harmonious living in LOS. Those who ignore that fact offend often and are viewed as ignoramuses by the Thais.

Edited by Fookhaht

When Thai people speak English and say "I go market'' or "seriot" or "too mutt" or "same same", most farang do not think this is a big deal as we know they are not native English speakers. I believe when farang call themselves "khun" or mispronounce the tones or wai at wrong time, they understand alsothat we are not Thai.It is the as you say pseudo Thai people or wannabe Thais who are the only ones who make an issue of this stuff. No one else gives a dam_n.

When Thai people speak English and say "I go market'' or "seriot" or "too mutt" or "same same", most farang do not think this is a big deal as we know they are not native English speakers. I believe when farang call themselves "khun" or mispronounce the tones or wai at wrong time, they understand alsothat we are not Thai.It is the as you say pseudo Thai people or wannabe Thais who are the only ones who make an issue of this stuff. No one else gives a dam_n.

fair point but when you are working with Thais it is appreciated if you try to be polite - nothing to do with about wanting to be a 'pseudo Thai'

Edited by DMC1

The Japanese end their names with san, so what is wrong with Khun?

Japanese friends call me Lindsay san, Thais call me Khun Lindsay.

Takes a tosser to know a tosser.

Some people just don't want to try very hard to be polite.

Have you ever heard a Japanese person refer to themselves as (name)-san ?

Didn't think so.

Same in Thailand for 'khun', in my limited experience.

If you went to US and said tosser, no one would probably know what you were talking about, but they would let it go as they would figure it was a British thing. I used to think Khun meant mister and called everyone including myself Khun whatever. Now I know better, but no one thought it was a big deal then, and I don't think it is a big deal now. Actually, most Thai people I know think this whole argument is somewhat comical.

in my experience japanese add san to one's family name. often the employer precedes it. sony No tanaka san For example. Mr tanaka of sony to u and me.

The only "san" that I know is... Momma san.

And I've known a LOT of those. :lol:

For those who insist this is a non-issue and unimportant, one needs to be reminded they live in a hierarchical society where titles are much more important than in the West. That's why Thais so often ask age-related questions so they can eventually tack on the "pee" or "nong" to your name when you become friends. Yes, it's important for harmonious living in LOS. Those who ignore that fact offend often and are viewed as ignoramuses by the Thais.

Probably the most sensible thing I have read on this topic yet.

I have no desire to be "Thai," I am however married to one and live in this country and want to know about the culture and correct way of speaking and dealing with society.

Most of the people posting here have no idea what they are talking about; live obliviously in their own little world and criticize those who do make an effort to adapt to the culture (even though we know we will never be fully accepted).

Reminds me a bit of the parable of the cave in Plato's republic.

If your friend (referring to the op) wants to call himself khun(maybe he is incorrectly directly translating it as "mr," nothing wrong with answering the phone as "mr. so and so speaking") and you are going to belittle him and make fun of him on this forum, well with friends like you I'm sure he doesn't need enemies!

in reality the term for this is inter-language. nothing wrong with it as a stepping stone to thai fluency. but i'm probably not alone thinking KHUN bob has probably plateaued there. and as such he will hence forth sound like a nob.

If your friend (referring to the op) wants to call himself khun(maybe he is incorrectly directly translating it as "mr," nothing wrong with answering the phone as "mr. so and so speaking") and you are going to belittle him and make fun of him on this forum, well with friends like you I'm sure he doesn't need enemies!

None of us have ANY idea of who his friend is, so that does not really matter. Jingthing summed the whole thing up pretty well with his one line synopsis of the whole thread.

The takeaway from this long thread is this --

Don'T Call Yourself Khun You sound like a tosser

Next ...

:clap2:

Edited by Ulysses G.

My takeaway from this long thread:

Some foreigners, overeager to adapt to the ways of their adopted home, fail to catch all the fine points of Thai, especially as regards its social niceties, and speak in ways that may be awkward but are certainly harmless. Other foreigners, overestimating their expertise and flaunting their years of "experience", are too quick to make blanket statements about a culture that is not theirs and condemn others for disagreeing, even if those others have their own experience or the testimony of Thais to back them up.

Some foreigners, overeager to adapt to the ways of their adopted home, fail to catch all the fine points of Thai, especially as regards its social niceties, and speak in ways that may be awkward but are certainly harmless. Other foreigners, overestimating their expertise and flaunting their years of "experience", are too quick to make blanket statements about a culture that is not theirs and condemn others for disagreeing, even if those others have their own experience or the testimony of Thais to back them up.

Fair comment, but you still don't refer to yourself as Khun.

Fair comment, but you still don't refer to yourself as Khun.

Jingthing put it in a nutshell. I think there is a consensus (with perhaps one exception)

Never had to address anyone as Khun. Usually it will be Professor or Dr., and quite rightly so as it is a sign of respect and very convenient for people like me that cannot remember names let alone pronounce them.

I have noticed that Germans are obsessed with being addressed by their titles and/or positions. It had better be Herr Doktor or Herr Director. Thais aren't hung up as badly except for public officials that want their Dr. titles used. And then there is the American and Australian extreme of service personnel addressing you by your 1st name or something like luv or mate.

Have you ever noticed that Thais like many other SE Asians when speaking with farangs refer to male/girl friends as boy/girl friends. It's really quite innocent and more typical of Thais that translate in their heads first and then talk. Sort of cute, unless of course the woman's very large muscular husband is sitting next you and a friend refers to his wife as your girlfriend.

I asked wife who is Thai about this whole issue. She says it is no big deal if you call yourself khun but is not the usual way but if you do it Thai people think nothing of it. However some farangs on this forum are upset by this. So who knows more about Thai culture. The farang or the Thai. If Thais do not care then I for sure am not worrying about it. Someone I think John le Carre but not sure said the key to getting along in Asia is to understand that you will never understand. Whether you say khun or Pi or Your Highness you will never be Thai so get over yourself. There are not many Thais on this forum, but lots of khuns.