Fair Price For A Bit Of Gravy?

TJG

sounds like you have a grudge for this place so your vinegary opinion should be taken with a grain of salt...otoh that Indian joint you are always pimping for charges around the same price for a side bowl of plain dipping curry gravy, normally free at most places.......next!

You're right. That is an outrageous rip off. Symptom of a tourist trap. Of course it depends on the portion to some extant. If they brought out a substantial container filled with gravy even though you probably didn't need so much gravy, I could see a 20 to 30 baht charge being OK if it wasn't normally included in the meal you ordered.

Yes, I do have a grudge about Simon's and with BLOODY GOOD REASON. No, I don't "pimp" anyplace, that implies I get some benefit about talking about places I do like, and I get no such benefit. And no, Punjabi Tadka is about as far from a rip off joint as you can get in Pattaya.

Wife and I ate at Punjabi Tadka on Monday night based on referral from another "Frugal Freddy" member. No where near could it be called a rip off. We elected to have the Samosas, they were huge, along with a order of garlic Nan. Garlic Nan was B40 for 4 pieces, the Samosa were 2 per order, Vege B40, Chicken B50 and my Lamb B60, Large Chang B60. Coke B20. We ended up taking home 2 Nan and 1 each of the Samosa for lunch next day.

The Samosa did come with 2 dishes of dipping sauce, 1 spicy 1 not. It was not curry though.

I can attest to the virulent anti-American bias of the owner there (he pretty much openly admitted it to me), at least the last time I was there and banned for life. Half right, huh? Why is it rational to exercise hatred against any nationality when running a food service business? I might expect such hostility at Iranian restaurants as sadly our countries may be on the verge of war, but on the contrary, never experienced any rudeness from Iranian restauranteurs.

On a side, note, Americans, please consider not giving that place your business. There are better places for fish and chips in town, with better prices and better food, so you aren't missing anything.

why did you get banned mate?

Wife and I ate at Punjabi Tadka on Monday night based on referral from another "Frugal Freddy" member. No where near could it be called a rip off. We elected to have the Samosas, they were huge, along with a order of garlic Nan. Garlic Nan was B40 for 4 pieces, the Samosa were 2 per order, Vege B40, Chicken B50 and my Lamb B60, Large Chang B60. Coke B20. We ended up taking home 2 Nan and 1 each of the Samosa for lunch next day.

The Samosa did come with 2 dishes of dipping sauce, 1 spicy 1 not. It was not curry though.

Yet another happy Punjabi Tadka customer!

I do have a bit of a selfish agenda about that place. We are so lucky to get a well priced, authentic Indian restaurant in town, FINALLY, and I want to do what I can to stimulate business for them throughout the year (South Asian tourism has seasons) so that they thrive and prosper, and also hopefully, don't raise their prices much anyway (as is to typical). I would be sad if they didn't make it, I don't like other Indian places in town.

With Fish and Chips, we now have many that are decent, so the loss of one or two wouldn't be tragic.

Edited by Jingthing

Yet another happy Punjabi Tadka customer!

I do have a bit of a selfish agenda about that place. We are so lucky to get a well priced, authentic Indian restaurant in town, FINALLY, and I want to do what I can to stimulate business for them throughout the year (South Asian tourism has seasons) so that they thrive and prosper, and also hopefully, don't raise their prices much anyway (as is to typical). I would be sad if they didn't make it, I don't like other Indian places in town.

With Fish and Chips, we now have many that are decent, so the loss of one or two wouldn't be tragic.

i agree John Wayne :jap:

The Village Chippy Gravy is charged at 15B

Makes sense, they're after mostly expats, Simon's is after tourist one offs ...

Simon's is after selling the joint as fast as he can for as much as he can and leaving so if you think the customers interest is paramount there, think again.

Worst F&C in Pattaya.

Bite me.

Edited by NanLaew

The Village Chippy Gravy is charged at 15B

Makes sense, they're after mostly expats, Simon's is after tourist one offs ...

Simon's is after selling the joint as fast as he can for as much as he can and leaving so if you think the customers interest is paramount there, think again.

Worst F&C in Pattaya.

Bite me.

Spot on NanLaew!!

Please let us know when the Yank hater sells the joint so I can go back and review the place under the new management. Maybe a Yank can buy it and do British fish and chips properly! BTW, fish and chip places really should add a Californian favorite here, SQUID AND CHIPS, served the same way as fish. The squid here is very good and cheap, could be a real winner and also be sold at a low price.

Edited by Jingthing

Please let us know when the Yank hater sells the joint so I can go back and review the place under the new management. Maybe a Yank can buy it and do British fish and chips properly! BTW, fish and chip places really should add a Californian favorite here, SQUID AND CHIPS, served the same way as fish. The squid here is very good and cheap, could be a real winner and also be sold at a low price.

Well, I've never heard of Squid and Chips before, but it sounds just up my street, I'll give it a try at home!

Thanks for the idea Jingthing! . :thumbsup:

Hello Jingthing,

This may not have anything to do with Bistro gravy ,but an "image" thing.

Look it is easy to hide your identity if I suspect you may well be an American,for instance do you wear knee high white sports socks? wear Bemuda shorts down to your ankles? wear loud tropical shirts 5 sizes too big for you? show most of your underwear about your shorts?

Another give away recognising an American when sat in a restaurant or anywhere else and in deep in conversation is can your conversation be picked up not only in the greater Pattaya area? ,but around the entire Pacific Rim? use 3 million words when only 3 would do?

I urgently suggest you adopt of more British reserve Jingthing ,ideally wear a bowler hat,carry an unfurled black umbrella at all times,perhaps wearing a monocle might be suggested too, and a back copy of The Sun newspaper jutting out of your back pocket,any and all pervish thoughts be kept well and truly at the forefront of your thinking, and of course when in Carrefour food court purchase a Cheers yard of ale (23 Baht)

I am deeply sorry you are having the described experiences,and I hope you find true peace ,if not on this earth ,but in your nearest fish and chip shop.

Edited by jori

I urgently suggest you adopt of more British reserve Jingthing ,ideally wear a bowler hat,carry an unfurled black umbrella at all times,perhaps wearing a monocle might be suggested too, and a back copy of The Sun newspaper jutting out of your back pocket,any and all pervish thoughts be kept well and truly at the forefront of your thinking, and of course when in Carrefour food court purchase a Cheers yard of ale (23 Baht)

Don't forget to say "old chap" a lot and complain about the bloody Germans.

this gravy topic has turned most saucy....oh yes, please don't mention the war....

I can attest to the virulent anti-American bias of the owner there (he pretty much openly admitted it to me), at least the last time I was there and banned for life.

Im curious to know this, how does one get banned from a bleeding fish and chip shop?

Have you got tourettes or something?

I can attest to the virulent anti-American bias of the owner there (he pretty much openly admitted it to me), at least the last time I was there and banned for life.

Im curious to know this, how does one get banned from a bleeding fish and chip shop?

Have you got tourettes or something?

It could be because he was an obnoxious old git. We may never know.

The only surprise for me is that Simon's is still in business!!!

I went there with a friend over a year ago. Friend had F&C, which he said was very average and not at all worth coming back for.

On that visit, I did not feel like F&C and decided on chicken instead. Simon's menu had both chicken nuggets and fried chicken. I ordered the fried chicken. The dish came and the fried chicken looked like nuggets, without bones/skin and shaped like the Mc Donalds chicken nuggets. I called the waitress over and she confirmed that this was indeed the fried chicken. I suspected she had made a mistake and wanted to cover up and so I very politely asked to speak to the boss. To the waitress' credit she called up Simon and he spoke to me: He was rude, non-apolegetic and totally flippant that I ended up asking: if his fried chicken looked and tasted like nuggets, what would his nuggets look like? He then said : too bad, that's how the chicken comes from his supplier. I gave up. I told him that if this was how he wanted to cheat, it's not particularly clever and BTW dont worry, I'll pay for his "pretend" fried chicken since I had taken a bite just to see if it tasted anything like chicken (it did not).

I guess he does not need "picky" customers like me. Or maybe serves me right for ordering chicken in a fish&chippery!

I went there with a friend over a year ago. Friend had F&C, which he said was very average and not at all worth coming back for.

On that visit, I did not feel like F&C and decided on chicken instead. Simon's menu had both chicken nuggets and fried chicken. I ordered the fried chicken. The dish came and the fried chicken looked like nuggets, without bones/skin and shaped like the Mc Donalds chicken nuggets. I called the waitress over and she confirmed that this was indeed the fried chicken. I suspected she had made a mistake and wanted to cover up and so I very politely asked to speak to the boss. To the waitress' credit she called up Simon and he spoke to me: He was rude, non-apolegetic and totally flippant that I ended up asking: if his fried chicken looked and tasted like nuggets, what would his nuggets look like? He then said : too bad, that's how the chicken comes from his supplier. I gave up. I told him that if this was how he wanted to cheat, it's not particularly clever and BTW dont worry, I'll pay for his "pretend" fried chicken since I had taken a bite just to see if it tasted anything like chicken (it did not).

I guess he does not need "picky" customers like me. Or maybe serves me right for ordering chicken in a fish&chippery!

Could have been worse. At least he didn't threaten to call the police because you complained or encourage the waitress to throw foreign objects in your face.

Next ...

:lol: I am happy I read this. I was going to go there next time I went to immigration, but will pass now. I am American and don't discriminate anyone. It is hard to believe that the resturant can survive,:unsure:

You may be confusing Simons on Thappraya to Simple Simon's on Soi 5 Jomtien (the immigration soi). Simple Simon's service is friendly and I have found the British food there serviceable but nothing special. Some have said the F&C at Simple Simon's is OK too, but I have yet to try that there.

You may be confusing Simons on Thappraya to Simple Simon's on Soi 5 Jomtien (the immigration soi). Simple Simon's service is friendly and I have found the British food there serviceable but nothing special. Some have said the F&C at Simple Simon's is OK too, but I have yet to try that there.

:whistling:

Thank you for the up-date. I know which one to avoid.:rolleyes:

yeah germans bombed our chippy--------------hey perhaps the yanks will send one of them drone things over to bomb simons c*ck it up and get the robin hood by mistake------------no good

at the risk of adding a new (bay) leaf to this gravy train of whinge, I get the feeling that a few of the complainers on this and many other threads are the same person with an agenda posing as someone else to imply some support.....could this be the true meaning of same same but different........

at the risk of adding a new (bay) leaf to this gravy train of whinge, I get the feeling that a few of the complainers on this and many other threads are the same person with an agenda posing as someone else to imply some support.....could this be the true meaning of same same but different........

Based on what evidence, boychik?

Let me state I am not any other poster.I have been to Simons fish and Chip shop many times,do not confuse this place with Simple Simons.

I wasnt happy on my last visit going with a thai friend they charged him 140 baht for thai food,thats outrageous for just rice and pork.

There sausages and potatoes are 220 baht i recall plus the gravy 50 baht .

so in other words the 2 sausages and ittle bit of mash came to $10 .outrageous i stopped going back.

Now this place has been for sale since june 2009,i think the asking price has gone down from 3.5 million.