National Parks Ongoing Saga

tim armstrong

I know this one has been discussed before. But I want an update on the 'official' position if there is one. I recently took my thai family to a spectacular but seldom visited national park in the north east, while we were on holiday. Arrive at the gate, show the attendant my Thai 5 yr driving license when he tried to charge me the farlang fee. No way he said. What? I said - its accepted everywhere else. Permission to charge you the low rate hasn't reached us. (said with smirk on face.) Wrong response by farlang,- me. Became very angry with him, but after much consoling by my family agreed to pay. Through the gate, noticed HQ ahead stopped there. Soon got to see the manager. Initially the same result but after some discussion with my wife about farlang and tourism, he said he would refund the higher cost, which he did. Nice day had by all. But also met another young Oz tourist there who paid the full fee and was very angry. So question, is this still up to each place to decide the fee or is there now some general ruling ??

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My rule of thumb is this : -

Every province has different rules the historical park near us l pay nothing cause l live here other Thai people visitng pay 20bht westerners pay 200 bht.

If a westerner comes to the park with his Thai family and shows his 5yr drivng licence they pay 20bht.

In other places in and around the country I usually pay the same as Thais showing my 5yr drive licence. :D

Some places try and charge me westeners price l just refuse to go in telling my family this place is no good and usually they give in after l start walking away while the Thai family all start having a right old go at the entrance staff. :annoyed:

If l have driven a long way and really want to see the place l am the one who gives in and pays up. :jap:

Edited by Kwasaki

Sad really for you all folks :(

I have lived here for many a year and pay what is asked of me 100 - 200 - 400 and now back to 200.

Why?

Very simple.

I take photos and feel very greatfull and happy to be able to do so at these prices, knowing (one hopes) this will be for the up keep of these places like:-

Phraya Nakhon Cave - Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park - The Royal Pavilion

large.jpg

and then

Huay Mae Khamin Waterfall in Kan - Srinakarin National Park

large.jpg

Up to you folks, you know the prices.............................B).........................so why bitch about them.................................:whistling:

There are many places to visit for FREE btw :D in Thailand

I have lived here for many a year and pay what is asked of me 100 - 200 - 400 and now back to 200.

Why?

Very simple.

I take photos and feel very greatfull and happy to be able to do so at these prices, knowing (one hopes) this will be for the up keep of these places like:-

Phraya Nakhon Cave - Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park - The Royal Pavilion

large.jpg

and then

Huay Mae Khamin Waterfall in Kan - Srinakarin National Park

large.jpg

Up to you folks, you know the prices.............................B).........................so why bitch about them.................................:whistling:

Its not really the momey its the racism that goes out from it. I can see it for tourists.. but not for residents. Anyway flame on (there are enough who will defend dual pricing)

sorry kunwin

but f you want to pay full price up to you

but the rest of us with a TW and TDL

we like the discont

over 1 year its a lot and do to the bart we need it.

as for the person ? i though its 50b for the entrace to the park

Great Pictures Kan Win, and had you been Thai you could have taken them for 10 times less. Thats the issue. Personally I think it's ok for national parks to have a separate, higher charge for people who do not pay taxes (as tax money funds their operation) However if you pay taxes, farang or Thai, the rate should be the same.

Great Pictures Kan Win, and had you been Thai you could have taken them for 10 times less. Thats the issue. Personally I think it's ok for national parks to have a separate, higher charge for people who do not pay taxes (as tax money funds their operation) However if you pay taxes, farang or Thai, the rate should be the same.

Agreed. I pay taxes just like a Thai, and actually one heck of a lot more than most. What benefits exactly do I get from my tax monies? No voting. No property ownership. No utilities in my name. No security for remaining in the country longer than my next visa. No medical card.

So again - what benefit do I actually get from all the tax monies? I guess I can use the roads. Anything else? One would at least expect to get into tax-funded government attractions at the local price.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Only really been to 2 or 3 NP`S that i can remember, and always paid the thai price (after showing 5 year DL).......

I have one question, i cant recall if it states Tourist or Foreigner on the entrance tarriffs....if it states tourist, then you can use your thai drivers license...but if it states Foreigner you might be fukced??

Next time i think i`ll take my yellow book...your thoughts?

It's easy enough to just stay home, or go somewhere that ISN'T a National Park. I'm with Kan Win on this issue. If I want to go somewhere specific I just pay the going rate. If someone gets a better deal than me then so what. There are enough free things in Thailand that I don't feel inconvenienced in the least having to pay in a National Park. It might be different if I was going to a National Park every day, but how many times a season does one actually go? In Canada I can't even park my car in a National Park for less than $10 (300 baht) and I'm a local. Our provincial parks charge almost as much to camp as a private campsite and Provincial parks don't offer as much value for the money. You always have the option of just not going. Some places are worth the cost and others aren't. I didn't think the tiger zoo was worth what they charge and I've never gone back, but Mt Erawan waterfalls are worth every baht and I've been there many times.

Why?

Very simple.

Lovely photo's as always Kan Win, but I disagree with being required to pay more if we have Thai ID. In fact I disagree with any form of double pricing.

I don't think a increased price can be justified because some will get greater enjoyment - that suggests that you may be enjoying the park 5 times more than Thai's which doesn't make sense.

As far as the Norm is concerned. Like anywhere else in Thailand the rules are fixed, flexible or non-existent depending on who is applying the law so with something like this it really depends on the location, day and who we will be dealing with.

EDIT: Just read Ian's posts and have to agree with a lot of what he has said also.

I guess my sensitivities are somewhat insulted by this double charge, however when we draw a comparison I would rather this than the charges for many of the things back home. Additionally I would also rather a few paid the higher price than everyone. BUT: Double pricing is still unfair IMO.

Edited by richard_smith237

EDIT: Just read Ian's posts and have to agree with a lot of what he has said also.

I guess my sensitivities are somewhat insulted by this double charge, however when we draw a comparison I would rather this than the charges for many of the things back home. Additionally I would also rather a few paid the higher price than everyone. BUT: Double pricing is still unfair IMO.

I think most of us agree that double pricing isn't really fair, but I don't let it bother me enough to stop me seeing something I want to see. I weigh everything on value for money spent. There are enough cheap things in Thailand that it all balances out. I can live cheaper in a Thailand hotel than turn my oil furnace on at home in Canada. I can eat a Thai meal in Chiang Mai for 30 baht (one dollar). Tell me where you can buy a good meal in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, North America or any other western country for anywhere close to that amount?

Agreed. I pay taxes just like a Thai, and actually one heck of a lot more than most. What benefits exactly do I get from my tax monies? No voting. No property ownership. No utilities in my name. No security for remaining in the country longer than my next visa. No medical card.

So again - what benefit do I actually get from all the tax monies? I guess I can use the roads. Anything else? One would at least expect to get into tax-funded government attractions at the local price.

I think you are over estimating quite a bit what such a good 'deal' Thai citizens get (apart from the land ownership issue). All the others, including PR should be possible for someone like you.

Its not really the momey its the racism that goes out from it. I can see it for tourists.. but not for residents.

The irony. :D

I don't like dual pricing period.. but i can defend it a bit (not that i like it) for tourists as they don't pay taxes here. Residents that work and pay taxes are a different story.

Its still a crazy rule as my lovely wife who works but never pays any taxes can go in there for free.

Anyway i usually avoid dual prices stuff, my main issue is Bungsamran a fishing spot where foreigners pay 1000 and thais 400. Its a privately owned place. Anyway i avoid the place but will go there with my father and brother because my brother has never been there and it is one of the better spots in Thailand. (so much for completely boycotting it i know im a hypocrite)

i love how u guys get really mad and then pay. lol.

I just HATE it when I have to pay $14.95 in Canada for the same meal I pay 40 baht for in Thailand. :lol:

Iam its more that some people pay taxes here already, those who don't ok i can see why they would be required to pay more. Its not the extra money because 200 bt is not much for me and i don't visit parks that much.

If I want to go somewhere specific I just pay the going rate.

In Canada I can't even park my car in a National Park for less than $10 (300 baht) and I'm a local. Our provincial parks charge almost as much to camp as a private campsite and Provincial parks don't offer as much value for the money.

Well, Ian, what is the "going rate"? Depends on the colour of your skin or your passport?

And any foreigner parking his car in a Canadian national park is going to pay exactly the same rate as you. Same as camping in the provincial parks. Same space, same price. Doesn't depend on the colour of your skin or the passport you're carrying.

If I want to go somewhere specific I just pay the going rate.

In Canada I can't even park my car in a National Park for less than $10 (300 baht) and I'm a local. Our provincial parks charge almost as much to camp as a private campsite and Provincial parks don't offer as much value for the money.

Well, Ian, what is the "going rate"? Depends on the colour of your skin or your passport?

And any foreigner parking his car in a Canadian national park is going to pay exactly the same rate as you. Same as camping in the provincial parks. Same space, same price. Doesn't depend on the colour of your skin or the passport you're carrying.

The thing is that I really don't care if I have to pay more than others for the same thing. I have to pay more for my women than some young, hansom Thai guy, but so what, I'm still getting good value for the money. I give more money away in charities than most Thai families make in a year. And, I'm only an old pensioner. It makes me feel good to help others. What others do or think does not concern me in the least. I can't change the world and don't worry about other people's problems. That is their concern. I can only be responsible for my own actions.

I think that the main reason so many farang get so bent out of shape is because they have their "thainess" rejected. They think in their mind, "I am such a kee nok farang lifer that they won't dare charge me the tourist price. I am going to get in for the Thai price and then I am going to laugh at the tourists because I am special!" and then when the gate keeper is unimpressed they throw a hissy fit. :lol:

I think that the main reason so many farang get so bent out of shape is because they have their "thainess" rejected. They think in their mind, "I am such a kee nok farang lifer that they won't dare charge me the tourist price. I am going to get in for the Thai price and then I am going to laugh at the tourists because I am special!" and then when the gate keeper is unimpressed they throw a hissy fit. :lol:

Yes Chunky, that is exactly the way I see it.

I really don't care about whether I have to pay double, treble, because let's face it we are talking about pennies.

But it's not actually double or treble is it, it's ten fold, and it's not a few extra pennies it's an extra £3.75 or $6, ok not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but not pennies.

Put another slant on it, you could be a retired person from overseas living on a reduced income or an English teacher on the minimum wage, wanting a reasonable day out with the family you're struggling to support, you have to pay 10 times the admission price of your family, meanwhile a hi-so drives up to the same park in his top of the range BMW and pays 20 Baht, and probably no tax.

I personally will not go to an attraction that charges me ten times more than my partner, and she agrees with my stand, though I suspect the cashiers don't actually give a sh*t if we go in or walk away. We take the same stand when we visit my home country, the UK, we absolutly refuse to go to attractions that charge her more because she is not British, well we would do if we ever came across one.

I really don't care about whether I have to pay double, treble, because let's face it we are talking about pennies.

But it's not actually double or treble is it, it's ten fold, and it's not a few extra pennies it's an extra £3.75 or $6, ok not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but not pennies.

Put another slant on it, you could be a retired person from overseas living on a reduced income or an English teacher on the minimum wage, wanting a reasonable day out with the family you're struggling to support, you have to pay 10 times the admission price of your family, meanwhile a hi-so drives up to the same park in his top of the range BMW and pays 20 Baht, and probably no tax.

I personally will not go to an attraction that charges me ten times more than my partner, and she agrees with my stand, though I suspect the cashiers don't actually give a sh*t if we go in or walk away. We take the same stand when we visit my home country, the UK, we absolutly refuse to go to attractions that charge her more because she is not British, well we would do if we ever came across one.

"Put another slant on it, you could be a retired person from overseas living on a reduced income or an English teacher on the minimum wage",

If you can't afford to pay $10 plus then you need to think about relocating.

If you can't afford to pay $10 plus then you need to think about relocating.

Not a very constructive remark, you are clearly missing, or don't understand the issue, or maybe you just don't care.

Whether I can or cannot afford 200 Baht to go into a National Park is irrelevant.