Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

Ok, a few things.

1) I started a new thread - "CBR 150/250 Mods". The reason is to get information on mods that have been made on old 150, and then the new 150 / 250, to make them better. Not interested in opinions about what Honda woulda/coulda/shoulda done, just tech details that we can all find in one place that will improve performance.

2) Snowflake, not sure about the AirBlade you had, but I bought one almost 2 years ago for my wife, the first red/white "Phoenix" paint scheme in Chiang Mai, and she loved it. As did I for running around town. And on the highways I had no problem hitting 100kph with just me on it, but then, I only weigh 64 kilo. We only sold it outright to buy her a new Scoopy, which she likes even better, and THAT little scooter will be doing 90 on the highway before you even realize it. lol. Also, tested the PCX a couple of months ago and absolutely hated it. That seat is great for people who are only about 160cm tall, but I'm 172 and with that dam_n bump in the seat, my legs were scrunched up. Took it out on the highway and was sadly disappointed with the acceleration and overall handling. Left Honda and went straight to Yamaha and bought a new Nouvo Elegance 135cc and am much happier with that, as is my son, who gets it once I buy a new 150/250. Maybe your experience with the PCX is better than mine, but I definitely did not care for it at all.

3) I've had 2 Honda dealers tell me "around 15th or 18" for new 250, so we'll wait and see.

3) The 2nd Saturday of each month Honda has a big affair at the sports stadium here in C.M. I'm going on the 13th to see if they have the 250 then to take a look at. Hopefully they will, as well as some factual information on them.

4) I agree with those who think the 160kph is more than the 250 will actually do. I had the last model of the old style 150, and was able to get to about 138 on the highway to Doi Sakett on a cool day with no wind, and tucked down behind the wind screen. I'm hoping those who have already bought the new 150 will give us some info about top cruising speeds. I want to do some traveling around Thailand in a few months, and would like to be able to do 110-125 comfortably for the longer trips. That's why I'm waiting for the 250 to come to try and get some actual facts before I make up my mind to go with that, or just go for the new 150.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, a few things.

1) I started a new thread - "CBR 150/250 Mods". The reason is to get information on mods that have been made on old 150, and then the new 150 / 250, to make them better. Not interested in opinions about what Honda woulda/coulda/shoulda done, just tech details that we can all find in one place that will improve performance.

2) Snowflake, not sure about the AirBlade you had, but I bought one almost 2 years ago for my wife, the first red/white "Phoenix" paint scheme in Chiang Mai, and she loved it. As did I for running around town. And on the highways I had no problem hitting 100kph with just me on it, but then, I only weigh 64 kilo. We only sold it outright to buy her a new Scoopy, which she likes even better, and THAT little scooter will be doing 90 on the highway before you even realize it. lol. Also, tested the PCX a couple of months ago and absolutely hated it. That seat is great for people who are only about 160cm tall, but I'm 172 and with that dam_n bump in the seat, my legs were scrunched up. Took it out on the highway and was sadly disappointed with the acceleration and overall handling. Left Honda and went straight to Yamaha and bought a new Nouvo Elegance 135cc and am much happier with that, as is my son, who gets it once I buy a new 150/250. Maybe your experience with the PCX is better than mine, but I definitely did not care for it at all.

3) I've had 2 Honda dealers tell me "around 15th or 18" for new 250, so we'll wait and see.

3) The 2nd Saturday of each month Honda has a big affair at the sports stadium here in C.M. I'm going on the 13th to see if they have the 250 then to take a look at. Hopefully they will, as well as some factual information on them.

4) I agree with those who think the 160kph is more than the 250 will actually do. I had the last model of the old style 150, and was able to get to about 138 on the highway to Doi Sakett on a cool day with no wind, and tucked down behind the wind screen. I'm hoping those who have already bought the new 150 will give us some info about top cruising speeds. I want to do some traveling around Thailand in a few months, and would like to be able to do 110-125 comfortably for the longer trips. That's why I'm waiting for the 250 to come to try and get some actual facts before I make up my mind to go with that, or just go for the new 150.

3) Seems like theres not much information given to the dealers about the 250 until now, all question i asked several dealers: maybe, not sure, we dont know. Wanted to put a deposit but they refused as they not even know the real price. But i should call on 12th again.....

4) On the CBR150club board there are some users who have a new cbr150 already. They reported a speed of 128-132 as mentioned before maybe max is 140 kph without any mods.

Edited by Hili

They reported a speed of 128-132 as mentioned before maybe max is 140 kph without any mods.

Ok, that would make it about the same as the old one, even though it's a little heavier, which isn't bad. I'm just wondering though, about the stability at those speeds, as with the old one, once I hit 110+ it just didn't feel stable or steady. Hopefully the new one will be better in that aspect. I like the new 150, especially the red/white/blue, and would probably not have any problems owning that, but still want to wait and see the 250. Don't want to buy the 150, then have the 250's come and wish I had waited. So I'll wait.

:whistling:

just1voice... the owners reported that the vibrations are still there but much less than on the old model. All together it seems to be more stable now...

Correct me if i am wrong but i think the 150 doesn't have the counterbalance the 250 engine has; so hopefully a lot less vibs on the 250.

I would like point out that Richard from this forum gives a mini-review of the 250 on his website, having actually ridden it.

Firstly, he claims the new c-abs/electronic will change the way we ride. It is that good. 3rd Generation. That Honda have not skimped on the quality of the processor and sensors and it shows.

Secondly, that Honda have so successfully counter-balanced the engine that the only vibration is added by the manufacturer to aid the "experience".

I'm feeling quite vindicated in my resistance to the Kawasaki 250. I have said all along that their bike was over-priced, given that it was not so much better than the old CBR150. Not at twice the price of the Honda with enough left over to buy a good Shoei or Arai helmet.

Honda's 250 doesn't have to be a Ninja250 beater, only a keeper-upper, to steal just about every one of Kawasaki's sales. Given the reported price differential. What will happen to the used market for the Kawasaki, with the owner of a 2 year-old trying to get Bt.100,000 for his bike?Would I buy a good one for Bt.80,000? Actually, I would not. Weighing new/old, warranty etc. The Honda at Bt.100,000 for similar (non ABS) is a better deal at Bt.20,000 difference.

So....If the reported price is true, do we opt for the Bt.15,000 ABS package or go traditional? And will a rider that spends a lot of time on a bike with electronic C-ABS lose some skills re regular breaking?

I would like point out that Richard from this forum gives a mini-review of the 250 on his website, having actually ridden it.

Firstly, he claims the new c-abs/electronic will change the way we ride. It is that good. 3rd Generation. That Honda have not skimped on the quality of the processor and sensors and it shows.

Secondly, that Honda have so successfully counter-balanced the engine that the only vibration is added by the manufacturer to aid the "experience".

I'm feeling quite vindicated in my resistance to the Kawasaki 250. I have said all along that their bike was over-priced, given that it was not so much better than the old CBR150. Not at twice the price of the Honda with enough left over to buy a good Shoei or Arai helmet.

Honda's 250 doesn't have to be a Ninja250 beater, only a keeper-upper, to steal just about every one of Kawasaki's sales. Given the reported price differential. What will happen to the used market for the Kawasaki, with the owner of a 2 year-old trying to get Bt.100,000 for his bike?Would I buy a good one for Bt.80,000? Actually, I would not. Weighing new/old, warranty etc. The Honda at Bt.100,000 for similar (non ABS) is a better deal at Bt.20,000 difference.

So....If the reported price is true, do we opt for the Bt.15,000 ABS package or go traditional? And will a rider that spends a lot of time on a bike with electronic C-ABS lose some skills re regular breaking?

You hit the nail on the head.

I think that opting for the purported 15K upgrade would be well worth it. I don't think that your skills on regular braking would be affected; remember that unless you have 100s of 1000s of kms under your belt in really nasty conditions (or are a professional racer) I doubt that you have much experience in properly modulating your brakes in extreme circumstances; I'd bet that the majority of the bikers in this forum, regardless of their stated level, mostly just saw at the brakes and offer a quick prayer to whatever diety they believe in....

Honda's 250 doesn't have to be a Ninja250 beater, only a keeper-upper, to steal just about every one of Kawasaki's sales. Given the reported price differential. What will happen to the used market for the Kawasaki, with the owner of a 2 year-old trying to get Bt.100,000 for his bike?Would I buy a good one for Bt.80,000? Actually, I would not.

Certainly would be an added poitive if the ninjas drop in value.

I would almost certainly take a 2 yr old ninja over the new cbr.

Someone mentioned earlier that APe Honda hadn't officially released the 250 cause it is not on their website.

They haven't.

And not because it's not on their website. Because they haven't made any official statement stating that it will be released in Thailand.

Their website is a dog's breakfast, they don't even have an up-to-date price list and are still showing the price for the old CBR150 and don't have the new 150 on it.

Actually the picture on the front page is the new CBR150, and has been for quite a while.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

I dont think so because I am posting hard facts and which is far more than some others here are doing.

PS! BigBikeBKK, you still havent commented on the warranty and how much you valued that, but which is a thing you dont give to your own customers when selling parts for thai bikes.

Whats up with that??

76.gif DNFTT

You state how important "warranty" is in this thread and then in another thread disregard it saying "this is Thailand" and that you provide

"no warranty" to your customers.

I have asked you a simple question more than once. Your refusal to answer

speaks volumes. What can you say, the contradiction is there in black &

white for all to see.

I back up what I say and stand by everything Ive said in this thread and it

would be good if others did the same and were consistent with their counter

opinions.

I think Bigbikebkk meant the warranty of a Bike from the manufacturer...the thread you are linking to shows some aftermarket parts. Obviously the aftermarket parts warranty depends on the Part manufacturer (if available at all) and not the Bike Manufacturer .

mbox

Someone mentioned earlier that APe Honda hadn't officially released the 250 cause it is not on their website.

They haven't.

And not because it's not on their website. Because they haven't made any official statement stating that it will be released in Thailand.

Their website is a dog's breakfast, they don't even have an up-to-date price list and are still showing the price for the old CBR150 and don't have the new 150 on it.

Actually the picture on the front page is the new CBR150, and has been for quite a while.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

They were the last to put the 150 on their site. The new 150 is now being sold and they don't have the price on their website. The CBR150 does not appear in the products page of PGM-Fi

Their 'superbike/big bike' page has no mention of the 250, and it is being built in Thailand; surely that would be worth of a news item!

My point being that the APe Honda website is not reliable for information. This is the opening paragraph to the World Honda web press release "BANGKOK, Thailand, October 27, 2010 - Honda will produce the new CBR250R road sports model in Thailand and launch sales in November." Someone better tell APe Honda that it is November. :rolleyes:

http://world.honda.com/news/2010/2101027CBR250R/

Here is a link to the mini-review. I'm not used to embedding a link so it just might come out as an address you will have to paste in.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/

Go to the latest article (Nov 8) on the 250 and read the posts by News. I think he is the Admin.

The 'review' is just the press release by World Honda that has been cut and pasted. I have an issue with this website as i put up a post and links to the World Honda websites were removed.

They were the last to put the 150 on their site. The new 150 is now being sold and they don't have the price on their website. The CBR150 does not appear in the products page of PGM-Fi

Their 'superbike/big bike' page has no mention of the 250, and it is being built in Thailand; surely that would be worth of a news item!

My point being that the APe Honda website is not reliable for information. This is the opening paragraph to the World Honda web press release "BANGKOK, Thailand, October 27, 2010 - Honda will produce the new CBR250R road sports model in Thailand and launch sales in November." Someone better tell APe Honda that it is November. :rolleyes:

http://world.honda.c...2101027CBR250R/

That Honda release doesn't actually say that it's being released in Thailand. Only that it's being produced here and exported.

I'm not saying that it isn't, just that there's no official word from any official source.

APe Honda have not stated anything about it.

What btw, in your opinion is reliable information? Honda dealerships? Weren't one of these taking a deposit on the VTR250 six months ago?

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

I doubt that it is just a cut and paste. It's not particularly well-written and on re-reading, I see that Richard answers under his own name. So who the mystery author is, I don't know.

He speaks in the 1st person and refers to the market in Thailand and talks about the Kawasaki 250.

He says he has ridden the bike.

T'bird,

Much of your opinion regarding what makes a fine or exceptional bike is probably approved by many here (I'm guessing). Also, the forum has many advocates of bigger bikes.

However, if you do not think it impolite, I'd like to suggest that the so called CBR 250 will sell many bikes. It's not the bike; it's the buyers. Your quarrel, if that is what it is, is with Honda's marketing studies, here and worldwide. You are suggesting that there are not many people in big numbers so foolish as to buy the Honda "CBR" 250, as it lacks much. Honda has bet that its offering is just right.

As for sales, we'll know in 13 months or so. Silly to bump heads about it now.

I doubt that it is just a cut and paste. It's not particularly well-written and on re-reading, I see that Richard answers under his own name. So who the mystery author is, I don't know.

He speaks in the 1st person and refers to the market in Thailand and talks about the Kawasaki 250.

It's a copy and paste from Honda http://world.honda.com/news/2010/2101027CBR250R/ but to be fair it is listed as "news" being the contributor.

Edited by JUDAS

http://world.honda.c...2101027CBR250R/

That Honda release doesn't actually say that it's being released in Thailand. Only that it's being produced here and exported.

I'm not saying that it isn't, just that there's no official word from any official source.

APe Honda have not stated anything about it.

What btw, in your opinion is reliable information? Honda dealerships? Weren't one of these taking a deposit on the VTR250 six months ago?

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

That press release by World Honda is a little ambiguous, but it is saying that it is being made in thailand and is being released in thailand in November. It is strange marketing by APe Honda, as i'd reckon if you asked dealers in other countries, they'd give you a release date months ahead of time.

I agree that dealers are unreliable for info, usually i am telling them what is happening! :lol:

The 'news' article is cut and past from World Honda; sorry for the confusion. The forum itself someone using 'news' username states they have ridden it.

There was a Honda display in Tesco Krabi when I went in today.. quite a few Scoopies and one CBR 150i.

I spoke with a girl from Honda in Bkk and asked her about the CBR 250i. She told me out in 2 months and when I queried that , saying but they are out this week in BKK, she said that there was not enough production to go around and that first deliveries would be to Bkk and Phuket, and 'poor' Krabi would have to wait about 2 months. Price about 100k

The 150 was on sale at 78k but maybe included tax etc as they had the finance package at 28k deposit and 36 months at 2,140bahts a month. Looked nicer than the old one and looked bigger in dimensions as well.... I would have thought about buying it, but might as well as wait for the 250 now

That press release by World Honda is a little ambiguous, but it is saying that it is being made in thailand and is being released in thailand in November.

Actually it just says that it's being produced in Thailand, it doesn't clearly say that it will be released here.

It is strange marketing by APe Honda, as i'd reckon if you asked dealers in other countries, they'd give you a release date months ahead of time.

APe Honda marketed the 150i over a month in advance of them unveiling it.

BTW, I read something on here about a guy who put a deposit down for the VTR250 about 6 months ago, even though there's no sign of it being released here either, was that a joke or are ye guys serious?

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

BTW, I read something on here about a guy who put a deposit down for the VTR250 about 6 months ago, even though there's no sign of it being released here either, was that a joke or are ye guys serious?

No idea what you heard about from a guy about a guy...

.. but I read the info about the CBR250 in a Thai newspaper, along with the price of 100,000 Baht :P

The dealers are always clueless, or they make stuff up to further their own agenda (certain imaginary shortages come to mind...)

No idea what you heard about from a guy about a guy...

Think I read in one of these new 250 threads that a poster had put a deposit down for a VTR250 at a dealership, upon the dealership telling him that it was coming soon. :rolleyes:

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

They reported a speed of 128-132 as mentioned before maybe max is 140 kph without any mods.

Ok, that would make it about the same as the old one, even though it's a little heavier, which isn't bad. I'm just wondering though, about the stability at those speeds, as with the old one, once I hit 110+ it just didn't feel stable or steady. Hopefully the new one will be better in that aspect. I like the new 150, especially the red/white/blue, and would probably not have any problems owning that, but still want to wait and see the 250. Don't want to buy the 150, then have the 250's come and wish I had waited. So I'll wait.

:whistling:

Not stable at +110.. Have you ever considered that this might be an indication that you should get yourself a real bike if you like to cruise at those speeds?

Stability in higher speeds and its far from all about tires and bodykit. Its extremly important that you have good working quality shocks and preferebly adjustable ones. If low cost shocks like on the thai CBR's and you will never get that stability. A CBR 150's shocks and a 80 kg person can bottom them any time he wants when braking. Stand over your bike and push the front end up and down hard and you'll see what you've got. Its really only a minimal step up in quality VS a Honda click or any of their other small bikes.

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

How many times do I have to say this: DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS! Especially this particularly obnoxious wanke_r

Good advice :) I can't believe I'm saying this but where are the ThaiVisa mods? Normally this type of troll would have been shut down a long time ago... :whistling:

Shame to see a perfectly good thread ruined by all this bs... :bah:

That press release by World Honda is a little ambiguous, but it is saying that it is being made in thailand and is being released in thailand in November.

Actually it just says that it's being produced in Thailand, it doesn't clearly say that it will be released here.

It is strange marketing by APe Honda, as i'd reckon if you asked dealers in other countries, they'd give you a release date months ahead of time.

APe Honda marketed the 150i over a month in advance of them unveiling it.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

I think we all have the message, repeatedly, that you don't think the 250 will be released in Thailand. Give it a rest for a few months, if proved correct you can come back and say 'I told you so' later.