Another Train Wreck.

gotlost

MCOT

Udon Thani-Bangkok train derails at Khon Kaen after hitting fallen tree.

Wednesday, October 13, 2553. smaller_font.gifbigger_font.gif print.gifvar addthis_config = {data_use_flash: false}lg-share-en.gif Udon Thani-Bangkok train derails at Khon Kaen after hitting fallen tree; six passengers seriously injured, service expected to resume at 6pm

Train travel in Thailand is safe. Clearly the tree wasn't in a safe condition, so perhaps the landowner should be held responsible. This train is not a neccessarily a 'wreck', so cut out the hysterical media style hype. It will be re-railed, then taken to a maintainence depot for inspection and necessary attention to vehicles that are not beyond economic repair.

Trains have been striking fallen trees since the year dot. It is nothing new, but such instances are very rare, and the risk extremely low. It is totally wrong to question the safety of SRT. The the root cause (no pun intended) of this accident was the fallen tree. If it hadn't fallen the train would not have struck it or become derailed. Can't put it more simply than that!

The heading for this post should be 'Six Seriously Injured After Train Strikes Fallen Tree'.

Train travel in Thailand is safe. Clearly the tree wasn't in a safe condition, so perhaps the landowner should be held responsible. This train is not a neccessarily a 'wreck', so cut out the hysterical media style hype. It will be re-railed, then taken to a maintainence depot for inspection and necessary attention to vehicles that are not beyond economic repair.

Trains have been striking fallen trees since the year dot. It is nothing new, but such instances are very rare, and the risk extremely low. It is totally wrong to question the safety of SRT. The the root cause (no pun intended) of this accident was the fallen tree. If it hadn't fallen the train would not have struck it or become derailed. Can't put it more simply than that!

The heading for this post should be 'Six Seriously Injured After Train Strikes Fallen Tree'.

How about the railroad be responsible for not maintaining proper clearance for passage . The only hysteria is in your mine. As for safety ask these people.

http://www.thaivisa....ent-in-hua-hin/ . On an average of once a year there is a major incident by the railroad. Fortunately this one was not major. Ask your self why Thailand is striking a deal with China to seriously upgrade the complete state ran railroad in Thailand? Safe? No worse than taking the car or bus but still the pits.

Edited by gotlost

Happily there are relatively-few instances of aircraft hitting fallen-trees on the runway. :ermm::D

And the Chinese proposal is surely for an entirely new railway, of a new gauge, parallel to some existing SRT-lines, not rebuilding the existing-network ?

Happily there are relatively-few instances of aircraft hitting fallen-trees on the runway. :ermm::D

And the Chinese proposal is surely for an entirely new railway, of a new gauge, parallel to some existing SRT-lines, not rebuilding the existing-network ?

TRUE.. The existing is the SHYTS. The only difference between THailand's railroad and India's railroad as my wife says is that Thailand does not allow anyone to ride on the roof.:lol:

Ask your self why Thailand is striking a deal with China to seriously upgrade the complete state ran railroad in Thailand?

They are buying high speed rail technology and trains from China, for a high speed rail link from Vientiane to the Malaysian border, not having China do a complete upgrade of the whole network. China has more HSR under construction than the rest of the world has combined, lots of countries are buying from them now. California will likely be making a deal similar to deal too, the Governorator was there last month to look at their trains. Trains here are great, I take them all the time and feel very safe. Trees fall on tracks and cause accidents all over the world, do a quick google and see for yourself. Glad no one died in the accident.

MCOT

Udon Thani-Bangkok train derails at Khon Kaen after hitting fallen tree.

Wednesday, October 13, 2553. smaller_font.gifbigger_font.gifprint.gifvar addthis_config = {data_use_flash: false}lg-share-en.gif Udon Thani-Bangkok train derails at Khon Kaen after hitting fallen tree; six passengers seriously injured, service expected to resume at 6pm

dam_n trees got no respect for trains. :lol:

SRT will, as part of normal permenant way maintainence, trim lineside vegetation and cut back adjacent trees so that they do not obstruct the normal operation of trains. But any suggestion to cut down every tree that may possibly fall and obstruct the railway is about as daft as they come.

I have just read on another site that the tree fell because its roots had been loosened by recent heavy rain. If this incident was to be the subject of a coroners court type enquiry, the verdict would be 'natural causes'.

Thai trains are safe. There's always media hysteria whenever there's a rail accident, for one reason; they are so rare. If a bus had collided with a fallen tree it would have hardly got a mention.

I have been travelling on Thai trains since 1977.I have done so many trips, i have lost count. I have travelled on all 10, yes there are actually 10 passenger lines, in total safety. Thai trains are very safe, but also very slow, especially on the main lines. But as many of them are night trains, not a big problem. Thai trains are without a doubt , the safest way to travel in Thailand. Far superior to any other form of land transport.

+1 on what he said

What that's famous quote. 'Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story'

Edited by Garry

I have been travelling on Thai trains since 1977.I have done so many trips, i have lost count. I have travelled on all 10, yes there are actually 10 passenger lines, in total safety. Thai trains are very safe, but also very slow, especially on the main lines. But as many of them are night trains, not a big problem. Thai trains are without a doubt , the safest way to travel in Thailand. Far superior to any other form of land transport.

Whoops, Boo-Boo, missed one, there are 11