The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

Where I live at the moment is about a 250 Baht taxi east of Bearing BTS on the old Sukhumvit Rd.

I know they are extending that line by a number of stations and I have printed out the excellent BTS Map provided over page ... but the writing is unclear as to the station names.

Is there any graphic or information that shows more clearly that extension?

Cheers and Thanks

Sorry but I didn't previously see your query. This is the thai langauge website for the Bearing to SP ext, http://www.mrta-greenline.net/

Route map;

7-7-2555-15-25-06-245x300.png

Thanks for this detailed post ... warmly appreciated ... thumbsup.gif

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be a silly question but is there a reason to use a monorail over something compatible with the existing system? It looks as if the BTS and MRT use the same equipment, is that the case? Just seems like the ability to connect everything together at some point, use the same depots, parts, training, etc would be desirable but I have no idea how such things work and may be quite wrong in my assumptions.

This might be a silly question but is there a reason to use a monorail over something compatible with the existing system? It looks as if the BTS and MRT use the same equipment, is that the case? Just seems like the ability to connect everything together at some point, use the same depots, parts, training, etc would be desirable but I have no idea how such things work and may be quite wrong in my assumptions.

Reasoning is two-fold.

1) Some planned routes will not require the capacity that heavy rail (current BTS / MRT) solutions offer, thus a lower capacity solution must be considered (e.g., BRT, LRT, and Monorail)

2) BRT is working reasonably well on the Sathorn-Ratchaphruek route, but the BMA got a lot of flack for taking lanes away from cars, so, as far as I know, previously planned BRT routes by the BMA are dead in the water, leaving Monorail and LRT. Simply put, Monorail special interests (specifically Malaysian manufacturers) have more tea money to splash around than anyone else, which is behind the strong push for it on the Pink Line, Yellow Line, and the BMA's Gray and Azure lines...

Reasoning is two-fold.

1) Some planned routes will not require the capacity that heavy rail (current BTS / MRT) solutions offer, thus a lower capacity solution must be considered (e.g., BRT, LRT, and Monorail)

2) BRT is working reasonably well on the Sathorn-Ratchaphruek route, but the BMA got a lot of flack for taking lanes away from cars, so, as far as I know, previously planned BRT routes by the BMA are dead in the water, leaving Monorail and LRT. Simply put, Monorail special interests (specifically Malaysian manufacturers) have more tea money to splash around than anyone else, which is behind the strong push for it on the Pink Line, Yellow Line, and the BMA's Gray and Azure lines...

Yes taking lanes from cars is never a good thing. I would give them a lot of flack for that too. I am still amazed at the kilometer long traffic jams with trucks here in BangYai because of the construction. I really hope they solve it they are blocking a major trucking road towards the south here.

I am also amazed how stupid they can work.. they have broken open the road to put drains but after breaking the ground open nothing more has been done.. gone an other lane for no sound reason.

They always say look into the future.. but we live in the here and now.. they should always make construction as painless as possible.

I wish the skytrain operated till around 2 am (at least on Friday and Saturday nights only). I don't think that is asking for too much.

I have seen these premature closing times all over the world. Not in every city, but many. It is totally mind boggling. You have MADD groups in the US, fighting this and that - why in the hell don't they put their efforts toward public transport operating after 2am?

• 4 weeks later...

E) LINES/EXTS TO BE TENDERED IN 2014

11) BTS Dark Green line Mo Chit to Saphan Mai ext funded by MRTA: 11.4km, 11 stations (Original completion date was 2008!).

12) BTS Dark Green line ext from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka: 14km, 9 stations (now to be tendered with above)

Finally!!!

Some good news for the long suffering residents along the Phaholyothin rd corridor with the BTS Dark Green ext from Mo Chi to Khoo Khot (Lam Lukka rd) via Saphan Mai finally getting approval by Cabinet on Tuesday. A budget of 38.165 billion baht was approved. 4 stations were cut from the Lam Lukka rd end (#12 in the list) essentially halving this part of the ext - to be extended once this project is complete.

Thus, the line is now 19.5km and 16 stations (N9 to N24). The tender is due to be out by Dec with construction to commence in the first half of 2014 and operational by late 2018.

A previous video of the route from 5 years ago (it shows the old Samak Gold Ring line) which mainly details the Mo Chit to Saphan Mai section;

Note: the video shows the previous 2nd half of the ext (#12) down Lam Lukka rd whereas only half of this will built as part of this contract)

I wish the skytrain operated till around 2 am (at least on Friday and Saturday nights only). I don't think that is asking for too much.

I have seen these premature closing times all over the world. Not in every city, but many. It is totally mind boggling. You have MADD groups in the US, fighting this and that - why in the hell don't they put their efforts toward public transport operating after 2am?

As it's only single line running e/w I imagine they need to close between 00:00-06:00 for maintenance and repairs each day.

That map is from the user archstudent (as noted on the image) over on the Sky Scraper City web forum. Thai Visa rules prohibit me from linking to his account there. I sent archstudent a pm last month to request an English "translation" but he did not reply. I have a few Thai/English maps, but his newest one is the best I have seen so far. I just wish it had the English names.

Anyone got a good "guesstimate" of journey time from the end of the dark green line to ChitLom?.

30 minutes?

RAZZ

Which end?

In non-peak periods, a good rule of thumb is to assume about 2-3 minutes per station, give or take. So yes, about 30 minutes from Bearing and maybe a little less than 20 from Mo Chit. In peak periods the times may be slightly longer as trains take longer at stations as passengers board / alight, but the difference over a long trip is probably negligible.

Anyone got a good "guesstimate" of journey time from the end of the dark green line to ChitLom?.

30 minutes?

RAZZ

Which end?

I seem to recollect a timing of around 1:08 mins as the estimate for a trip from N28 to E23.

However, given that the north ext will be a bit shorter initially to N24 and remembering that 2 stations of the 9 stations ext to E23 will not be built it will probably be around the high 50s min to 1 hr mark?

Add in the later extension down Lam Lukka to N28 and the further planned extension beyond SP by 4-5 stations and we would be looking at perhaps 1:20-25? Idk, these are just guesstimates.

Of course it really depends on frequency and sufficient rolling stock being appropriate for pax demand.

Given that the length of the line would have over nearly 55 stations ( 27 + 27/8) the previous plan by the BTSC was to reconfigure the lines so that the E line would terminate at the W line terminus (currently W1) and the N line would run to Silom terminating at what will be Bang Wah. However, that W line was going to be extended through Rattanakosin and across the river to Pinklao & Phra Nok which was basically replaced by the rerouted Orange Line.

That map is from the user archstudent (as noted on the image) over on the Sky Scraper City web forum. Thai Visa rules prohibit me from linking to his account there. I sent archstudent a pm last month to request an English "translation" but he did not reply. I have a few Thai/English maps, but his newest one is the best I have seen so far. I just wish it had the English names.

You could obtain 50% of the english names just from this thread, I could probably get 40-45% of the rest easily enough. If you wanted to we could furnish him with the names if he wanted to create an english version.

His first couple of versions were good but this is much better and very up to date. He has included the Brown Line and the extra 6 stations for the Pink Line. It is now akin to Khun Zoowatch's maps from 2004/5.

He has the SRT Light Red ext to Salaya, the 2 extra stations planned but there is an small mistake here as the line does not run between the current Terminus of Bang Song to Bang Sue as indicated (the viaduct is not complete and no BS stn as yet).

I probably wouldn't include the SRT Red Line ext running parallel to the ARL but officially it has not been cancelled but everyone knows that it won't get built being a stupid idea from the start.

The BTS ext, or monorail, to the Airport along Bang Na Trat is a long way off - perhaps 2 decades - and contingent upon the ARL reaching close to capacity with 10 car operations. One could perhaps also include an extension from Yellow line terminus at Samrong and the Purple line across the river as it is most likely according to OTP. In the same vein one could also show further exts of the Blue Line west and the Purple Line to Bang Bua Thong way.

I like the fact that it includes stations that have not been (in the case of original BTS lines) or are not being built until a later date. Perhaps a more obvious distinction could be shown between lines/exts currently under construction and those planned to give greater clarity for those who are unsure.

30 minutes?

RAZZ

Which end?

In non-peak periods, a good rule of thumb is to assume about 2-3 minutes per station, give or take. So yes, about 30 minutes from Bearing and maybe a little less than 20 from Mo Chit. In peak periods the times may be slightly longer as trains take longer at stations as passengers board / alight, but the difference over a long trip is probably negligible.

On the sukumvit line, it's slightly less than 2 minutes per station. I timed it a few times.

30 minutes?

RAZZ

Which end?

On the sukumvit line, it's slightly less than 2 minutes per station. I timed it a few times.

Including being stopped at stations?

30 minutes?

RAZZ

Which end?

Correct, I usually use 100 second/station as an easy mental calculation of my ETA.

You could obtain 50% of the english names just from this thread, I could probably get 40-45% of the rest easily enough. If you wanted to we could furnish him with the names if he wanted to create an english version.

His first couple of versions were good but this is much better and very up to date. He has included the Brown Line and the extra 6 stations for the Pink Line. It is now akin to Khun Zoowatch's maps from 2004/5.

He has the SRT Light Red ext to Salaya, the 2 extra stations planned but there is an small mistake here as the line does not run between the current Terminus of Bang Song to Bang Sue as indicated (the viaduct is not complete and no BS stn as yet).

I probably wouldn't include the SRT Red Line ext running parallel to the ARL but officially it has not been cancelled but everyone knows that it won't get built being a stupid idea from the start.

The BTS ext, or monorail, to the Airport along Bang Na Trat is a long way off - perhaps 2 decades - and contingent upon the ARL reaching close to capacity with 10 car operations. One could perhaps also include an extension from Yellow line terminus at Samrong and the Purple line across the river as it is most likely according to OTP. In the same vein one could also show further exts of the Blue Line west and the Purple Line to Bang Bua Thong way.

I like the fact that it includes stations that have not been (in the case of original BTS lines) or are not being built until a later date. Perhaps a more obvious distinction could be shown between lines/exts currently under construction and those planned to give greater clarity for those who are unsure.

Would it be possible for you to post the map with a list of estimated completion time or year of opening?

Would it be possible for you to post the map with a list of estimated completion time or year of opening?

Um, I already post the best possible dates, where available, in the summary list (check the latest at the start of pg 8) so all you really need to do is scan through that when looking at the map;

A) OPENING SOON

1) BTS Light Green Line (Silom line) from Talat Phlu (S10) to Bang Wah 2.8km, 2 stations ( S11 and S12 to open 5 Dec 2013)

B ) LINES/EXTS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2) MRTA Subway Blue Line ext from Bang Sue to Taopoon: 1.2km, 1 station (to open late 2014)

3) MRTA Purple Line from Taopoon to Bang Yai: 23km, 16 stations (Opening late 2015)

As of June 2013 civil works construction is at 68.5%. Website: http://www.mrta-purpleline.com

4) MRTA Blue Line ring ext (subway) and Bang Khae/Phetkasem rd ext (Completion late 2016/2017) Website: http://www.mrta-blueline.com/

a) Bang Sue - Tha Phra, 13.1 km, 7 elevated stations,

b Hua Lamphong - Lak Song, 13.9 km , 7 elevated & 4 underground stations.

5) BTS Dark Green line (Suk Line) Bearing to Paknam ext funded by MRTA: 12.6km, 7 stations (Work started mid 2012, opens 2016)

6) SRT Dark Red Line suburban line from Bang Sue to Rangsit: 26km, 8 stations* (Work started March, opens 2016)

*Note: SRT Dark Red Line is metre gauge, electric

7) New Intercity terminal at Bang Sue for all N, NE and S SRT intercity trains, Airport Line extension and both SRT Red Lines. (Construction started May, opening 2016?)

Note that the Purple line has now been pushed back to late 2017! More on that next time.

Note also that dates are just a guide. Based on past experience in BKK, one should expect to add at least 6-12 months to each completion date.

What would be great is if Arch could make a flash map that would show what the network would look like for any given year in the future, ie. 2015 or 2018 or 2020 as new lines are added.

Thanks for the update. Does that mean that the grey line that appears to go up Thonglor is still on the drawing board?

Same question for the orange line toward Minburi?

Nothing has changed in relation to the info on the last update. For the Grey line I gave a separate update int he previous page.

The Orange Line which is way more advanced with most design done, is still planned to be tendered at the end of the year unless there is some major protest in Pratunam or Pracha Songchro which delays the tender. It is a priority line (His Majesty is keen for it to be built to help solve traffic problems around Siraj hospital) so the MRTA wants to get started.

The Grey Line which is planned to be a monorail and has been taken over by the BMA. It is currently being studied and under an EIA process. The BMA Gov is pushing this as his pet project and legacy. He did a little PR "inspection tour" two weeks ago, https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=709373149089469

The BMA has stated that the line will be tendered early in 2014 and work will start immediately. However, I'd be surprised is the line is tendered by the end of 2014 and can't see anything happening until 2015 at the earliest but who knows the BMA may surprise. Chinese, Korean and Japanese investors have been invited by the BMA to invest in the line given the estimated 40 billion cost

• 2 weeks later...

A Rolling Stock Update

5 New Bts sets have arrived

The 5 new CNR 4 car sets of rolling stock arrived last week. They were ordered by the BTSC for the new Bang Wah ext which will open on 5 Dec as scheduled. Testing of the ext is currently underway .

However, I doubt that they will be used on that line as all the previous 7 CNR 4 car sets seem to be exclusively operating on the Sukhumvit line due to the previous sporadic, compatibility problems with the Silom line.

Purple line getting Japanese rolling stock

The BMCL having won the 30 yr concession contract in Sept for the Purple Line which stipulates that 63 cars have to be provided for the line has according to weekend reports, decided to order Japanese stock (though exactly what is unclear for now), http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679223-japan-group-to-build-train-system-in-bangkok-report/?p=6998860. This will be the first Japanese rolling stock for Bangkoks metro lines.

Future needs

On general rolling stock, the MRTA estimates it will need 437 cars for the heavy rail lines (Purple, Blue, Orange, BTS) and around 300 cars for the monorail lines (Pink &Yellow) - Brown or Grey not in that figure it seems.

The breakdown for heavy rail lines currently under construction;

Purple line: 63 cars - 21, 3 car sets,

Blue Line: 84 cars - 21, 4 car sets,

BTS Suk line ext to SP: - 40 cars - 10, 4 car sets

The previous estimate for the whole 300km+ (not including SRT Red suburban lines) planned future network by 2020 was 800 cars . (Obviously, these figures will increase as more exts and line open and actual orders will be contingent upon the operator).You can see why some train manufacturers such as Siemens & Alstom have been contemplating establishing a production facility in Thailand.

I seem to recollect a timing of around 1:08 mins as the estimate for a trip from N28 to E23.

Haha, just noticed this and surprised that no one picked me up for that!! Not even a maglev could achieve that distance in 1:08 mins!!!

We know u are faster than a speeding bullet(train).

Dribble wise, indeed I am!

Is there currently maintenance work being carried out on trains on the Sukhumvit line? Noticed twice this week, both morning and evening, that a 3-carriage train has arrived instead of 4-carriage. Haven't seen 3-carriage ones since the new stock arrived and I'd assumed (possibly incorrectly) that all the trains had been upgraded to 4-carriage.

EDIT: Thought this was better off here than in a new thread.

Archived