The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

Right, thanks. The plans even make sense.

I'm often in the area (Bang Sue/Taopoon/Krung Thep Non).

The way it looks to me is that the underground is extended up in the air as a "skytrain"?

Or Blue Line going down underground?

When I'm passing by in a taxi it definitely looks as if rails are coming out of the ground.

Taopoon will be an multi-level elevated interchange station with the Blue Line station below (running E-W) and the Purple line station above (running N-S). The current subway is being extended 1.2 km to Taopoon station where trains will terminate until the full Blue Line extension is completed , ie, trains will no longer terminate at Bang Sue.

I can't seem to find the MRTA render of Taopoon station (BN10) - though there is a really small one in a very large MRTA brochure. The Blue Line goes from underground to grade about 500m after Bang Sue just beyond Techa Wanit rd (Rama 5) as it elevates up. There is a render & some pics which I'll track down...

This model - which was displayed in 2011 - should give you a clear understanding of what has been previously decribed;

BlueLineTaopoonstationmodel_zpsca064f5e.jpg

One condo company has even taken advantage of proximity to the station (as they all are) by naming their condo, Cross Point;

scan0004_zpsefd26313.jpg

(Though it should be noted that the render is upside down as the condo is located SW of the station not NE)

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way do you know if the Silom line will be extended west from National Stadium, as I think I remember reading once it might be?

We seem to have been here before (post #15) dantilley but planr has given the same info.

I have left this off as it really doesn't seem that it will be happening for a long time and I suspect the ext plan will change again. I'll try to add it next time. :)

I think you missed one - the extension west beyond National Stadium. Or does that belong in section E?

It has been canned. Originally the BTS line was going to be extended west into Yaoworat, then head towards Ratchadamnoen Klang Ave, interchange with the Purple Line at Phan Fa then cross the river to Thonburi to link with the Blue Line at CharonSanit Wong (Inner ring rd). However, this will now be served by another SRT Red line running alongside the Airport Line which will then head west. Does not make sense to me and I expect (hope) this will change again. I didn't list this line as it seems very uncertain and to be honest I am confused as to exactly what is planned for this line.

Check the Master Plan and compare it with Khun Zoowatch's map from 2005 which is the one posted by arkom.

However, once the Dark Red Line is extended from Bang Sue to Hualamphong and Mahachai the BTS line will be extended one station under the current plan for an interchange. So you r right that I missed the one station BTS extension, probably in (G).

Thanks Lakegeneve for the updates. Just curious, if you had to pick your living location based on public transport alone, where on the Bangkok master plan would you live? I assume a crossroads like place would be ideal (Asoke, Bang Sue, Tao Pun). I'm not looking to start a conversation on the pros and cons of living in certain areas of town, just curious on what you think would be the ideal place to live based solely on the public transport master plan.

Thanks Lakegeneve for the updates. Just curious, if you had to pick your living location based on public transport alone, where on the Bangkok master plan would you live? I assume a crossroads like place would be ideal (Asoke, Bang Sue, Tao Pun). I'm not looking to start a conversation on the pros and cons of living in certain areas of town, just curious on what you think would be the ideal place to live based solely on the public transport master plan.

You would also need to consider which lines are intersecting at the crossroads as some of the commuter lines are not based around the MRT concept and train services are far less frequent (compare the ARL timing to the MRT blue line). I would personally say that the area around Phaya Thai/ Ratchathewi are the best areas to live as you will have access to the ARL, BTS sukhumvit line and the Red line. As well as this, the switch over to the BTS silom line is only 1 or 2 stations away (Siam station). Living in this location would allow you to go north, south, east and west with the existing and upcoming train lines allowing access to both airports as well with ease.

Add:

Victory Monument is just 1/2 stops away as well and it provides a multitude of bus routes which can take you to most suburbs in the northern half of Bangkok.

This is a difficult and slightly unrealistic query as so many factors go into choosing where to live. However, leaving aside reality of those non transport considerations and looking at it purely in terms of transport links with a focus on the future metro network, I'd go for somewhere on Ratchada (Inner Ring road) near the TCC station.

Why? This is where the Blue LIne Ring and Orange line intersection which gives one excellent N-S and E-W access:

Two stations from the CAT (Makkasan) for an airport trip,

quick 20 min ride to new Bang Sue Terminal for future intercity HSR trains,

not far to connect with other lines (BTS Suk E or N, Cityline, Grey, Yellow, Purple),

Non-metro factors - Plenty of bus routes, Ease of taxis late at night, Close to an expressway,

Non-Transport - 4 shopping centres on the line nearby (Esplanade, Central Rama 9, T21 & Central Latphrao), sporting facilities and some open space nearby.

One could potentially also make an argument for WWY in the future (BTS Silom, MRTA Purple Line, SRT Dark Red).

On a completely different topic, a TV member mentioned the new platform screen doors that are being installed by the BTSC and queries what the plan is.

img2838wn.jpg

(Pic copied from SSC)

The half- height, platform screen doors will be installed gradually in the coming years at all stations in the network starting with the 6 busiest ones in the next year.

Siam will be done by March, thereafter Asoke, Sala Daeng, Victory, On Nut & Phayathai. Cost is 600 million baht. We'll have to see which stations are next after these 6 are completed but I would guess at that rate it will take upwards of 5 years to complete the whole BTS network?

• 2 weeks later...

The partial rebirth of Samaks Ring?

As part of the BMA Gov campaign the PT candidate has promised to build a light-rail or monorail past Kasetsart University rather than a previously proposed, new expressway (N3). I'm not sure that will be agreeable to the extra 1m car drivers who benefited from the cash rebate scheme last year.

8465781505_207ed9fcb6_z.jpg

"The red outline is the Kasetsart University campus, while yellow and blue dotted lines indicate two plans for the expressway. Instead, a light rail line now looks more likely."

Thus a new potential line, the Gold line, is being canvassed - how seriously or not, time will tell - to run from Khae Rai intersection (to link with the Purple and Pink lines) along Ngam Wong Wan rd past Kaset Uni and then up Kaset-Namawin rd. (Kaset- Namawin rd for those that know it already has pillars and space for a future planned elevated expressway).

It would then run north to link with the Pink line on Ram Inthra rd. This could be the first time in Bangkok where something sensible is implemented in transport planning resulting in a mass transit line being built BEFORE a new expressway (which will still be built in the future)

It would run as shown;

NewProjectMonorailKaerai-Kubon.jpg

Note: this is an unofficial addition added on to a previous OTP Master plan map.

The 2008 Gold Ring proposal

This proposal is essentially the northern section of then PPP, PM Samaks proposed Gold Ring Line which was going to be a massive 73km, 37 station ring line. He proposed it in early 2008 after reportedly discussing metro projects over dinner with friends and allegedly drew a rough map of on a napkin or sheet of paper and then drew a big circle. It never formed part of previous plans but the SE part of the line would have absorbed the Yellow line.

It became known as 'Samaks Golden Ring' with the obvious dual connotations that it implies relating to corruption & a part of the human anatomy. The proposal fell away as quickly as Samak after he resigned as PM 6 months later.

Never the realist, Samak infamously stated in early 2008 that the PPP would build all of the new proposed metro lines (then 8 lines & extensions) would be built in 2 years! That was a throw back to then PM Thaksins post electoral win promise in early 2005 that all new lines would be built in 3 years by the end of 2008. (To be fair he was the outed in the Sept 06 coup. However, in the preceding 18 months nothing progressed). Of course any casual watcher of this issue knows that all govts of all political persuasions make silly, unrealistic statements.

(Samaks Gold Ring line is Line 8 in this old map);

Newlines.jpg

As most know, the BTS Silom line station Talat Phlu (S10) opened today.

As with previous exts, the BMA is offering free travel to/from S9 & S10 for 3 months. (Nothing to do with an upcoming BMA Gov election!).

The ext will operate as it has to S9 for the last month as a separate 6 car train shuttle between WWY (S8) & S10. This is due to the fact that no turnout was installed west of S10. (see earlier post for full explanation) Just swap platforms when you arrive at WWY.

As with previous exts, the BMA is offering free travel to/from S9 & S10 for 3 months. (Nothing to do with an upcoming BMA Gov election!).

The ext will operate as it has to S9 for the last month as a separate 6 car train shuttle between WWY (S8) & S10. This is due to the fact that no turnout was installed west of S10. (see earlier post for full explanation) Just swap platforms when you arrive at WWY.

So will Pho Nimit (S9) and Talat Plu (S10) stations have a separate shuttle until Bang Wa (S12) will be operational? Are we looking at Dec 2013? Also, do you know why the new trains have been removed from the Silom Line? Should we expect the new trains back on track (!) when they open Bang Wa (S12)?

So will Pho Nimit (S9) and Talat Plu (S10) stations have a separate shuttle until Bang Wa (S12) will be operational? Are we looking at Dec 2013? Also, do you know why the new trains have been removed from the Silom Line? Should we expect the new trains back on track (!) when they open Bang Wa (S12)?

The whole ext was originally due to open at the end of Dec 2012. It was contracted in the 1st quarter of 2011 after BMA had delays in obtaining finance. The contractor started a bit late towards mid 2011 which meant that the Dec 2012 deadline (with penalties) was always going to be difficult to meet.

The floods of 2011 thereafter delayed the whole project. Though the 3 or the 4 station construction sites were not flooded, construction materials sites elsewhere were and come workers had trouble getting to work given their homes were flooded. It gave the contractor an excuse and saved them incurring financial penalties for being late.

Thereafter, once work recommenced the opening timelines were change to 5 Dec 2012 for S9 & S10 and 20 August 2013 for S11 & S12. Obviously, S9 & S10 missed that deadline.

Now, once the deadlines were changed it created the problem that a shuttle would need to be used as was no turnout (for trains to switch track & changed direction) planned between S9 and S12. There was certainly time to install one but perhaps the small extra cost deterred the BMA and contractor? Some stated that the track design could not be changed but that was BS as the track and systems had not yet been installed.

So yes, a shuttle will have to keep operating only on one track until S12 opens. That means at least until late this year as there are some design issues with S12 being the interchange with the Blue Line which means that it won't be completed prior to the deadline. I doubt that S11 will open beforehand as that would make the one track shuttle just too long. time wise. The headway would be something like 10-12 mins from WWY. But right now I am not sure what the plan is.

Why there are design issues only recently discovered is another one of these unique BKK metro planning and construction mysteries!?! The design for the Blue Line has been finalised for the better part of 5 years. As was the design of this BTS ext, at least 3 yrs. Part of the problem is due to different agencies being responsible for different projects and not coordinating more effectively. In this case the BMA and MRT.

As for the 12, 4 CNR cars trains being moved to the Sukhumvit line from the Silom line, it is an operational consideration. There were many compatibility problems with then recently installed open Bombardier signalling system early on when they started running on the Silom line. You may remember that this sometimes caused significant delays and on occasion shut down the whole line.

I think that the BTSC is just being prudent and running rolling stock on the lines were there will be less problems but there are other factors involved as well. Note that the BTSC has 5, 4 car CNR trains on order for the Bang Wah ext - arriving late this year or most likely early next. Idk what rolling stock will be used on the Silom once the whole ext opens but it could end up being all Siemens 4 car trains?

Thank you for your knowledgeable explanation as it helps us understand the current situation.

I thought there were Siemens cars on the lines, but not Bombardier. I heard that Bombardier trains were unreliable and got many flows...

I remember to read about the possibility to use the current BTS rabbit cards with the MRT gate system to be operational late last year. Do you know why it hasn't been implemented?

Thank you for your knowledgeable explanation as it helps us understand the current situation.

I thought there were Siemens cars on the lines, but not Bombardier. I heard that Bombardier trains were unreliable and got many flows...

I remember to read about the possibility to use the current BTS rabbit cards with the MRT gate system to be operational late last year. Do you know why it hasn't been implemented?

Just to clarify, there are no Bombardier rolling stock, only the signaling system.

The Rabbit Card thing probably boils down to failing to come to an understanding about revenue sharing, but there may also be issues with the technology side of the automatic fare collection. Unfortunately I do not have any current firsthand knowledge at the moment.

Just to clarify, there are no Bombardier rolling stock, only the signaling system.

The Rabbit Card thing probably boils down to failing to come to an understanding about revenue sharing, but there may also be issues with the technology side of the automatic fare collection. Unfortunately I do not have any current firsthand knowledge at the moment.

As an update to my last post -- it's apparent that the issue is almost entirely political, perhaps involving some money. The technology IS compatible, no issues there.

As Planr already clarified in his response, the Bombardier ref was related to the signalling system. When the BTS was built a closed Siemens system was installed, it could only be used with Siemens rolling stock. When the ST to WWY ext was built it was decided to install the open Bombardier system so that other rolling stock (read cheaper CNR) could be purchased.

Yes Rabbit was meant to be MRT operation by Dec 2012. The most recent info I read in Jan was that it would be ready by the 2nd quarter of 2013. Planr obviously knows a bit more but I'd suggest that it is primarily a revenue sharing issue that is delaying the implementation.

That is the main reason why a common ticketing platform has been delayed since 2008 when it was first said to be introduced, and every year thereafter since then! It stems from a flawed structural concessionaire model where the govt agencies didn't insist on a common ticketing platform for all mass transit projects and which allows two private companies to 'compete' when they can't understand that working together benefits both.

• 4 weeks later...

Any more info on the MRT Orange and Purple lines?

RAZZ

Plenty Razz but what specific query do you have? (websites for both projects are listed on the previous page in the Updated Summary). if you can narrow down what you want to know I'll do my best.

Anyways, I have a question about the blue line.

When the extension is completed, where will the trains start, and where will the trains end? Currently all the lines are basically just a line. But the new blue line extension is a loop (circle?) with a tail. Do the trains change direction somewhere?

I member sent with a PM with the above question which is a good one so I thought I'd reply here in detail as no doubt others will query the same in the future. A little history first....

The current MRT subway operated by the BMCL which opened in mid 2004 was always planned to be significantly extended. However, plans changed many times as they tend to do in BKK. The original plan for the Blue Line was to be extended north to Nongtaburi along the route of what is the current Purple Line (under construction) as shown here:

2003.jpg;

Future Subway lines plan - Jan 2003 (you can see that the original Orange Line plan was to run south to Ratburna - what will now be the future Purple Line extension)

This was subsequently amended during 2003 when a new line was proposed, the Purple Line, and the idea of making the Blue Line into a 'circle line' following the Ratchadapisek Inner Ring road on the Thonburi side of Bangkok. The plan became thus;

2004.jpg

Future Subways line plan - Jan 2004 (you can see that the BTS Silom line was originally going to run further west along Phetkasem rd - some proposals even suggested all the way to Phutthamonthong)

Later, in 2004 the current line was settled with the further extension west along Phetkasem rd. It should be noted that the original construction time frame was for this whole Blue Line extension to be completed by 2009!!! ( I won't go into the reasons for the delays here but the usual mix of politics and dysfunction apply)

Cont.....

Thus, the current route was settled as shown below. I have posted a map which shows the various contracted sections;

BlueLinecontractmap.jpg

Contract 1: 2.8km underground from Hua Lamphong to Sanam Chai<br />

(2 stations, Bt11.65 Billion, contractor ITD).<br />

Contract 2: 2.6km underground Sanam chai-Tha Phra<br />

(2 stations, for Bt10.82B, contractor CK)<br />

Contract 3: 11km elevated from Tao Poon-Tha Phra (8 stations, Bt11.40B, contractor SH-Unique Joint venture)

Contract 4: 10.5km elevated Tha Phra-Lak Song<br />

(7 stations, plus a park-and-ride venue and maintenance yard, Bt13.43B, contractor STEC)

Contract 5: rolling stock and systems, Bt5.17 Billion, contractor CK.

You can also check the route on google maps vie the MRTA website, <a href="http://www.mrta-blueline.com/mrtamap">http://www.mrta-blueline.com/mrtamap</a>

The line appears to be a circle line as in often referred to as Blue Line loop. However, it is a quasi circle line as the lines do not meet at Tha Phra station. This can be readily understood by viewing the station plan for Tha Phra station (pls note that this is upside down, north is down on this map)

summary-_0083.jpg

Essentially, trains will start at Lak Song (Bang Khae) run the whole line (loop anti-clockwise) and terminate on the north side of Tha Phra. And vice versa. Thus, it is a quasi loop. Anyone can just change trains at Tha Phra station in order to traverse a shorter journey rather than travel the whole line. This layout will mean that the Blue Line could be extended south in the future (though no current plan to do so) as it most likely will be west to Phutthamontong sai 4 in a couple of decades (the previous BTS ext plan).

I hope this clarifies this issue - apologies for the upside down map!

• 2 weeks later...

RAZZ

Plenty Razz but what specific query do you have? (websites for both projects are listed on the previous page in the Updated Summary). if you can narrow down what you want to know I'll do my best.

Sorry for the slow reply...

Is there anyway to find out where actual stations are going to be built? Addresses? etc

And once again many thanks for your excellent input into this thread!thumbsup.gifwai.gif

RAZZ

Why is the new Sky train line out at Bang Sue so tall?

I couldn't tell you why, but Bang Sue is going to be crazy. It will be the legitimate hub of rail transport in Thailand. So it might be that tall to allow a perpendicular running elevated line to go underneath in the future (dark red and light red lines).

post-119133-0-75712000-1364985448_thumb.

Firstly two quick things. Just so it is clear, there is no BTS or Skytrain as it is more commonly know near Bang Sue. The MRTA Purple Line runs to Taopoon, about 1.2km west of Bang Sue. The MRTA Blue Line - currently subway - is being extended west from Bang Sue to Taopoon and then further across the river. No elevated metro line at Bang Sue.

Check this map;

content_MRT%20Purple%20and%20Blue%20Line

You seem to have posted a pic of the Purple Line, right? Can you state the exact location pls?

For interest, the Blue line will be as high as a 12 storey building when it pass PATA junction near Pinklao as it has to pass over two elevated rds!!

I couldn't tell you why, but Bang Sue is going to be crazy. It will be the legitimate hub of rail transport in Thailand. So it might be that tall to allow a perpendicular running elevated line to go underneath in the future (dark red and light red lines).

You are correct that Bang Sue will be a little crazy with construction over the next few years - and the two SRT suburban lines which will connect with it.

West of Bang Sue, at Bang Song where the Purple Line does cross the SRT Light Red line the height is not that great as you can see in this short video - the SRT Red Line EMU approaches Bang Son station (600+m to the right) passing under the Purple Line while an out bound SRT EMU runs at grade towards Taling Chan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XcdzMKZgAYE

At Taopoon where the Purple line will terminate (until extended further south) and interchange with the Blue line the model pic in post #121 also shows that the height will not be that high. (I need to check for recent construction pics).

RAZZ

Sorry for the slow reply...

Is there anyway to find out where actual stations are going to be built? Addresses? etc

And once again many thanks for your excellent input into this thread!thumbsup.gifwai.gif

RAZZ

For the Purple line, pls refer to post #107 which shows an english language video of the whole line - you also have the map. Does that give you what you need for this line?

For the Orange Line:

Here is the route map in thai;

pagea45.jpg

Stations list:

1. Bang Khun Nont (OR01)- Interchange with Blue

2. Siriraj (OR02)

3. Sanam Luang (OR03) - near Pinklao Bridge

4. Democracy Monument (OR04)

5. Lan Luang (OR05) - at the infamous Phan fah bridge

6. Yommarat (OR06) - interchange with future Dark Red line Yommarat station

7. Ratchatewi (OR07) - interchange with BTS

8. Pratunam (OR08) - at Panthip Plaza

9. Ratchaprarop (OR09) - interchange with ARL

10. Rang Nam - proposed long pedestrian link down soi Rang Nam to Century and BTS!

11. Din Daeng - near start of Vihavadi-Rangsit rd

12. Pracha Songkro - lots of resident protests about land appropriation for this station

13. TCC - interchange with Blue

14. MRTA -

15. Pradit Manu Tham -

16. Ramkhamhaeng 12 - The Mall

17. Ramkhamhaeng - Ramkhamhaeng Uni

18. Rajamangla - Stadium

19. Hua Mark

20. Lam Salee - interchange with Yellow line

21. Sri Boorapha -

22. Klong Bang Mah

23. Summakorn

24. Nom Klao

25. Rat Phatthana

26. Min Phatthana

27. Keha Ramkhamhaeng - NHA

28. Minburi - Big C Romklao

29. Suwinthawongse (OR29)

All stations underground to station 22, Station 23 onwards are elevated.

If you need proposed designs of specific stations they are available.

An MRTA Thai language video:

How it will connect in the inner city with the BTS Light Green line and ARL;

277384_3752067049636_1750717756_o.jpg

Of course the website; http://www.mrta-orangeline.net/

Hey Lakegeneve i've seen in a couple of transit master plans of a line that branches off the sukhumvit line and goes down bangna trad and ends up at suvharnabhumi. Do you have any info on this as i can't seem to find any available info in English anywhere on the internet.

Hey Lakegeneve i've seen in a couple of transit master plans of a line that branches off the sukhumvit line and goes down bangna trad and ends up at suvharnabhumi. Do you have any info on this as i can't seem to find any available info in English anywhere on the internet.

This spur line is still part of future plans but is not part of the current Master Plan if that makes sense? (Don't worry, not a lot does!) You can see it in the old map which is in post #2 of this thread. You can see that the spur line is planned for just after Udom Suk station where there the viaduct is built to accommodate it - I beleive the idea was that it would run along the north side of Bang Na - Trat rd but don't quote me on that. I don't include it on my list along with a couple of other lines but perhaps I should?

Basically, my understanding is that it has dropped down the list of metro lines in order to allow the ARL to build up good pax levels - which it has easily - AND the idea was that it would not be built until Swampy Phase 3 Expansion is completed. Phase 2 to be complete by 2016-17. Phase 3 to start immediately thereafter and be done by 2022 (add a couple of years to that). Perhaps others know more?

I would actually guess that once both the Samut Prakan ext is complete (2016) & Lam Lukka ext at the other end is operating (2017-18?? - unknown as the line has not even be tendered), then there will be a push to get this spur line done. Even more so once Phase 2 of the Yellow line opens (Hua Mark to Samrong) at some point in the early 20s?

There has been some talk last year by the BMA that this will be a mono-rail line which would be a stupid mistake.

This spur line is still part of future plans but is not part of the current Master Plan if that makes sense? (Don't worry, not a lot does!) You can see it in the old map which is in post #2 of this thread. You can see that the spur line is planned for just after Udom Suk station where there the viaduct is built to accommodate it - I beleive the idea was that it would run along the north side of Bang Na - Trat rd but don't quote me on that. I don't include it on my list along with a couple of other lines but perhaps I should?

Basically, my understanding is that it has dropped down the list of metro lines in order to allow the ARL to build up good pax levels - which it has easily - AND the idea was that it would not be built until Swampy Phase 3 Expansion is completed. Phase 2 to be complete by 2016-17. Phase 3 to start immediately thereafter and be done by 2022 (add a couple of years to that). Perhaps others know more?

I would actually guess that once both the Samut Prakan ext is complete (2016) & Lam Lukka ext at the other end is operating (2017-18?? - unknown as the line has not even be tendered), then there will be a push to get this spur line done. Even more so once Phase 2 of the Yellow line opens (Hua Mark to Samrong) at some point in the early 20s?

There has been some talk last year by the BMA that this will be a mono-rail line which would be a stupid mistake.

Thanks for the info, the residents of Bang na have been neglected for far too long. The bus service down Bang na trad just isn't doing it for everyone, and people still have to depend on cars/taxis. I think it should be an MRT/LRT type line or would a commuter type service be more reasonable because of its track length (afaik monorails are good for short inner city routes)? The track would be around 16-17 KM (by my estimates) and would definitely help ease congestion on the yellow line as it would provide a shortcut to the inner city.

post-119133-0-75712000-1364985448_thumb.

Firstly two quick things. Just so it is clear, there is no BTS or Skytrain as it is more commonly know near Bang Sue. The MRTA Purple Line runs to Taopoon, about 1.2km west of Bang Sue. The MRTA Blue Line - currently subway - is being extended west from Bang Sue to Taopoon and then further across the river. No elevated metro line at Bang Sue.

Check this map;

content_MRT%20Purple%20and%20Blue%20Line

You seem to have posted a pic of the Purple Line, right? Can you state the exact location pls?

For interest, the Blue line will be as high as a 12 storey building when it pass PATA junction near Pinklao as it has to pass over two elevated rds!!

The picture is fvrom where the MRTA line turns right toward the Ministry of Public Health station.

Still why so tall?

post-119133-0-36909700-1365500871_thumb.

Archived