The Best Bakery-Cafe In Pattaya

FarangBuddha

I don't know about the B 10 charge, but most likely s staff mix-up of some sort.

[/b][/i]

I in fact DO KNOW about the 10b charge. I was there and I paid it after asking what the 10b charge was for. She, The wifely of the owner who was on the cash register said and I quote " Oh we charge 10b for milk with your coffee" as she grabbed the bin from my hand.

No staff mix up. No mistake. It was a 10b charge for the tiny bit of milk.

Your mileage may vary.

I saw them renovating the place a number of days back, looked like it was going to be good. Anymore reports?

Walked past the other day after leaving Friendship who had sold out of the bread i usually buy. Aah i thought, a new French bakery, just the ticket. Popped in and asked what bread they had. "No have bread" was the reply. " You mean you have sold out?" "No sell bread" So we have a French bakery that does not sell bread! Priceless. Only in Thailand!

Stopped in there for a look, mid afternoon , hot as hel_l inside as no air-conditioning was on.

The lady with the tattooed breasts who seemed in charge was clueless

when I asked ( in Thai) what type of filing was inside some of the croissants displayed.

Some of the pastries look very nice and it sure is a big place in a good location, but they need to step up their game for sure.

This place is a disaster. Here's why:

1) The aircon is not turned on, it's hotter inside than it is outside! Cheapskates!

2) When I was there there were dirty tables piled high with garbage everywhere. We had to wade through garbage-laden tables all the way to the back and found the only clean table in the place.

3) Menus? Service? Non-existent when we were there. Is a menu posted somewhere? Is it self-serve?

4) There's a farang with body piercings working there. Seriously, who wants some white dude with a barbell in his eyebrow as a waiter?

5) WiFi? Who knows? And at this point, who cares?

6) After reading about a surcharge for milk in coffee, I'll never go back to give it a chance. Not being cheap, but that's just not right.

After being ignored for five minutes we finally left.

Save yourself the hassle and go to Bake & Brew on Soi Excite instead. Those people are happy to serve and the coffee cannot be beat. I used to go to Pitini on Soi Buakow but the owner must be too cheap to turn the kitchen ventilation on, it always smells like the back of a diner, so much so that your clothes will smell like grease after you leave!

4) There's a farang with body piercings working there. Seriously, who wants some white dude with a barbell in his eyebrow as a waiter?

In my recent visits to the US, piercings seem almost to be a prerequisite for wait staff. :)

Save yourself the hassle and go to Bake & Brew on Soi Excite instead. Those people are happy to serve and the coffee cannot be beat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates Bake & Brew. It seems like they have a chance to make it. I pass by often, and they almost always seem to have customers--I am pretty sure it's because of repeat business. What a rarity in Pattaya: excellent food and coffee, very friendly and competent service, great decor and atmosphere.

By the way, I'm not attacking the new place--I haven't tried it and so reserve judgement--it certainly has a great location. Interestingly enough there's another coffee shop next door that's been there forever--quite a comfortable looking place.

About the milk charge--I went to Starbucks in Central Festival a year or so ago and they asked if I wanted milk--then charged 15 baht (on top of the 90 baht or whatever for the coffee). I haven't been back to a Starbucks since. Obscene given the markup for coffee. However, for the new place, I'd give a chance to the owner to sort things out since it's a single-owner business and it's so hard to control everything (especially a partner). Second chance, yes, third chance, nah.

This place is a disaster. Here's why:

1) The aircon is not turned on, it's hotter inside than it is outside! Cheapskates!

2) When I was there there were dirty tables piled high with garbage everywhere. We had to wade through garbage-laden tables all the way to the back and found the only clean table in the place.

3) Menus? Service? Non-existent when we were there. Is a menu posted somewhere? Is it self-serve?

5) WiFi? Who knows? And at this point, who cares?

6) After reading about a surcharge for milk in coffee, I'll never go back to give it a chance. Not being cheap, but that's just not right.

After being ignored for five minutes we finally left.

Save yourself the hassle and go to Bake & Brew on Soi Excite instead. Those people are happy to serve and the coffee cannot be beat. I used to go to Pitini on Soi Buakow but the owner must be too cheap to turn the kitchen ventilation on, it always smells like the back of a diner, so much so that your clothes will smell like grease after you leave!

Wow...completely opposite to my experience. I do concur that there is a problem with the air-con and the way they installed it. The units are installed over the customer seating area and hence blow over them and onto the counter/staff area. You have to make sure (ask and they will do it) the louvers are angled downwards towards where you are sitting.

I believe the place is more of a self-serve bakery. Just go to the counter and peruse all the offerings and select what you want and your beverage and they will bring it to you. When you're done, ask for the bill and they bring it. Pretty simple really.

There would be no farang (with or without a bar-bell piercing) working as a waiter in Thailand. (No work permit would be provided for such a job classification.) The owner is a youngish Frenchman so it may have been him lending a hand but I don't recall any bar-bells (or dumb-bells) when I spoke to him.

As for the reported B 10 for milk, that would be over the top and I'm sure if people mention it, they will stop the practice. (As for Starbucks doing the same, I have never experienced this. I very much doubt this report as containers of milk are placed on the sugar/napkin station of all Starbucks customers to use for free in their coffee so why would they be changing for any?)

Hopefully, some of these negative reports are just teething-pains and will be ironed out shortly. I will check it out again on Friday market day to see how things are sorting out.

Also agree that Bake & Brew is also very good. However, their bakery selection is more limited, with not all offerings being available every day; but what they have is very good.

(As for Starbucks doing the same, I have never experienced this. I very much doubt this report as containers of milk are placed on the sugar/napkin station of all Starbucks customers to use for free in their coffee so why would they be changing for any?)

It really happened to me--I have a feeling that policy only lasted a short while because customers balked so strongly; remember I never have gone back since. I had occasionally gone to Starbucks before this incident and milk was on offer as you have stated, which made this incident doubly shocking and quite memorable to me. I already felt Starbucks was overpriced, so I never went back.

Are they serving freshly ground bean coffee or is it instant coffee with a (ten baht) splash of milk?

If they are serving cappuccino or flat white coffee, shouldn't the stretched, frothed milk be part of the overall coffee price?

I will walk there for a good, strong cup of fresh coffee but I won't walk there just for a French tart, not whilst there is an abundance of Thai tarts in Pattaya.....or perhaps I should politely refer to them as sweet Asian delicacies.

"The extra 10b charge was for the tiny bit of milk for the coffee"

"I guess you should count yourself lucky she didn't charge you for the Sugar too."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think it's not such a bad idea.

For a cup of coffee you pay : X

Coffee + milk or sugar : X + Xtra

Coffee + milk + sugar : X + Xtra + Xtra

The prices of the Xtras is of course subject to discussion.

I'm convinced that the "free" adding of milk and sugar is included in the price of the coffee you drink in other places.

So why pay for something you eventually don't need.

Edited by luckyluke

Well, as promised, I returned to Nice Delice today, Bua Khow market day, to see how the place is coming along. Well I'm happy to report that what was good before is still the same and a few of the kinks have been ironed out. Let me start out by saying that the negative reports on this thread I just can't fathom. I think it's really a case of some farangs living in Patts walk around with a bubble of negativity surrounding them and it effects anything and anyone they come in contact with. They don't seem to be happy unless they are slagging on someone or something or some aspect of living in Thailand/Pattaya. Whatever...rant over and on with my follow-up visit.

The main problem for me last time was the air-con was not effective and it was somewhat warm and uncomfortable. I had to instruct the staff is angle the air-con louvers downward onto the customer seating area. On this visit, it was cool and comfortable from the moment I walked in. All the staff were friendly and helpful as before, including the owner (who indeed has a dumb-bell piercing) and his wife. The cakes were as delicious as before and even the coffee had improved (but still not the best in town). For all the kee-niow folks who are always worried about services charges, I can report that there isn't one. As for the report of a 10 baht charge for milk with a coffee, I can't confirm or refute as I always have a capo-lon, which doesn't require additional noom. (However, in case any of the kee-niows are worried that they might be charged for sugar too, I can report the free sugar and equal sachets, and napkins too, are provided on all tables.)

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:

post-94156-016972100 1287732992_thumb.jp

My review.

Surprise -- overall positive.

The pastries, croissants, etc. all looked very nice.

I was attracted to some of the cake like pastries with fancy names. The waitron was not able to identify what was in two of them, but did know the third one had some kind of chocolate in it (which I admit I could see that for myself). So I would suggest some menu cards under the pastries that may have some mystery to them to explain something about what they are. For things like apricot tart, that name is enough. For a cake pastry with a French name, no, that is not enough.

Had the chocolate cake pastry (80 baht) and a capuccino (60 baht). The cap took a very long time to arrive.

The pastry was quite delicious. The coffee was perfectly adequate, the coffee in the drink tasted good and like strong espresso, but my overall impression was the drink was a little watery. But not bad, and can't really complain. The prices seem fair, no bargain, but not extortionate either for the quality offered. The interior setting was completely clean and the cooling was adequate.

Regarding the no bread complaint, it's really a non-issue, they clearly promote as a pastisserie francais. I love specialization, as you can see from my DELI rants on the it's a deli/no it isn't thread.

Regarding the issue of a charge for milk in coffee, I am sure that was regarding the regular coffee (Americano) they offer. It is listed only as coffee and a price. There is no mention that if you ask for milk that there will be an extra charge. I get where they are coming from logically, a cap costs more than an espresso, but they are 100 percent WRONG. It is indeed outrageous to charge for a milk topper for Americano coffee, that is just not done, and they need to stop it.

Good enough for a repeat but I am too fat already, so I really shouldn't ...

Edited by Jingthing

Well, as promised, I returned to Nice Delice today, Bua Khow market day, to see how the place is coming along. Well I'm happy to report that what was good before is still the same and a few of the kinks have been ironed out. Let me start out by saying that the negative reports on this thread I just can't fathom. I think it's really a case of some farangs living in Patts walk around with a bubble of negativity surrounding them and it effects anything and anyone they come in contact with. They don't seem to be happy unless they are slagging on someone or something or some aspect of living in Thailand/Pattaya. Whatever...rant over and on with my follow-up visit.

The main problem for me last time was the air-con was not effective and it was somewhat warm and uncomfortable. I had to instruct the staff is angle the air-con louvers downward onto the customer seating area. On this visit, it was cool and comfortable from the moment I walked in. All the staff were friendly and helpful as before, including the owner (who indeed has a dumb-bell piercing) and his wife. The cakes were as delicious as before and even the coffee had improved (but still not the best in town). For all the kee-niow folks who are always worried about services charges, I can report that there isn't one. As for the report of a 10 baht charge for milk with a coffee, I can't confirm or refute as I always have a capo-lon, which doesn't require additional noom. (However, in case any of the kee-niows are worried that they might be charged for sugar too, I can report the free sugar and equal sachets, and napkins too, are provided on all tables.)

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:

post-94156-016972100 1287732992_thumb.jp

Went for a coffee and cheesecake on Sunday and very happy with the experience. A great addition to Pattaya Tai and so conveniently located for Tukcom :rolleyes:

what language is that menu supposed to be in?

I was about to call you a moaner, but after reading the menu.............what's an oignon?

It must be English from a Frenchman who's first language isn't English.

Usually, I'm not bothered about how languages are being used, as long as people do understand each other, but this is just a case of language-abuse.

I was about to call you a moaner, but after reading the menu.............what's an oignon?

Usually, I'm not bothered about how languages are being used, as long as people do understand each other, but this is just a case of language-abuse.

At least he tried. BTW do you speak French when in France ?:whistling:

Yermanee

At least he tried. BTW do you speak French when in France ?:whistling:

Yermanee

i don't go to France. Enough english speakers in Pattaya to get the menu close to something that resembles English or use some software, etc