Proprietors That Talk To Much

Gunit

Has any ever had the experience of a proprietor that talks too much. I had a meal a while back with two friends and I couldn't talk to them for the whole meal, because the proprietor wheeled over and kept talking for the whole meal. I wouldn't normally mind, but I'd not seen my brother and my best friend for 5years and i was too polite to tell the person that his presence was not welcome. The food was nice, but the extra company was not. Anyone had any similar experiences.

I can certainly relate K'Gunit.

I have not only experienced a 'friendly proprietor' talking too much, but also stealing French fries off my plate because he was inebriated. Not pleasant, especially if one is entertaining guests from out of town. :o

I learned never to bring anyone that I am seeking to impress to that one particular establishment, not that I ever plan to return.

Maybe he was having a slow day, and was happy to see a customer?

Really, it's a 50/50 call on this.

Sometimes we go to a restaurant, and we want constant attention and love being fawned over.

Other times, we want to be left alone. Hard for a business owner sometimes to detect who are the welcoming, and who are the not so.

I like NancyL's suggestion- she is always so sensible and right on the money about many things.

"Oh, we really should let you get back to your other customers".

Look, I could personally care less if the owner of some restaurant wheels up to me.

I would buy him a drink, ask after a decent interval how he ended up here, maybe have another drink, then begin trading war stories. No worries on this end.

If I wanted to be treated like a walking ATM tourist blob, I would go to D2 or Chedi or Dara Dhevi or where ever, where the wait staff has been carefully trained to maintain a watchful 5 meter distance. With absolutely zero human interaction, other than "Would you like the Crème brûlée, Your Lordship?"

I would opine that if you are entertaining foreign guests who you are trying to impress with your worldly knowledge and largess...you should have gone to the palaces/places mentioned above.

Just my 25 satang, to use the hackneyed phrase....B)

:jap:

Of course, you could always beat him at his own game. Start explaining your latest surgery (even if you haven't had one) in graphic detail and a montonous tone. :lol:

Of course, those kind of guys won't let you get a word in edgeways, either, so Nancy's suggestion is much better. :)

I have not only experienced a 'friendly proprietor' talking too much, but also stealing French fries off my plate because he was inebriated. Not pleasant, especially if one is entertaining guests from out of town. :o

I learned never to bring anyone that I am seeking to impress to that one particular establishment, not that I ever plan to return.

Was it a discount meal? If so perhaps he realised that he gave you too many. wink.gif

He steals fries of customer's plates sober too! And the way he dresses so that no customer is the worst dressed person in the place!

He steals fries of customer's plates sober too! And the way he dresses so that no customer is the worst dressed person in the place!

Even restaurant owners gotta eat. wink.gif

Without naming, can you give the approximate location of this restaurant?

........................................................... And the way he dresses so that no customer is the worst dressed person in the place!

Several that are indeed very "scruffy" and another that has a personal hygene problem. Needless to say that I don't eat there any more!

"Has any ever had the experience of a proprietor that talks too much. I had a meal a while back with two friends and I couldn't talk to them for the whole meal, because the proprietor wheeled over and kept talking for the whole meal. I wouldn't normally mind, but I'd not seen my brother and my best friend for 5years and i was too polite to tell the person that his presence was not welcome. The food was nice, but the extra company was not. Anyone had any similar experiences."

I am curious about the term "the proprietor wheeled over". Is this just a figure of speech or did the proprietor in fact "wheel over" to your table as in a wheel chair? Very curious to know which one it was.

What an unpleasant and unnecessary topic, especially because the poster knows that a number or readers will know who and where he's talking about. It's also somewhat cowardice to complain behind the invisibility of the internet while admitting you said nothing to the proprietor himself. What does the OP expect others to do about his gripe?

I don't know, what with threads talking about leaving un-flushed dumps in restaurant toilets, and moans about folks being 'too friendly', one can't help but wonder what kind of people are residing here in the expat community!

And finally, what does the Moaning Minnie expect to achieve by posting such claptrap into a local forum? Would it not be simpler to just finish your meal and say quietly to yourself, 'I doubt I'll be going there again!', and leave it at that?

Hmm! As usual, such idiotic posts are generally made by new members, which generally indicates they're existing members hiding further still behind a new and unknown persona to protect their regular user-name ! Tut, tut, tut!!!

Aitch

What an unpleasant and unnecessary topic, especially because the poster knows that a number or readers will know who and where he's talking about. It's also somewhat cowardice to complain behind the invisibility of the internet while admitting you said nothing to the proprietor himself. What does the OP expect others to do about his gripe?

I don't know, what with threads talking about leaving un-flushed dumps in restaurant toilets, and moans about folks being 'too friendly', one can't help but wonder what kind of people are residing here in the expat community!

And finally, what does the Moaning Minnie expect to achieve by posting such claptrap into a local forum? Would it not be simpler to just finish your meal and say quietly to yourself, 'I doubt I'll be going there again!', and leave it at that?

Hmm! As usual, such idiotic posts are generally made by new members, which generally indicates they're existing members hiding further still behind a new and unknown persona to protect their regular user-name ! Tut, tut, tut!!!

Aitch

Thank you for your feed back. It really was an experience that I had and which I shared, but in no way did I indicate any place or person in what I posted as I know how hard it is to make money here at the minute. I wanted to share my experience in order to see how other people would react in the same situation. Should I have told him and seemed rude, should I have left and made my excuses, I don't. But your reply and idea about what kind of people are residing here shows yourself to be ignorant, because you read the tread and you where the only person to have a pop back at an experience that most may have come across while living here in town. Maybe next time I'll post something like, people that have been here too long think that they are superior the the rest. specially those on Thai visa

So true. And that's really saying something! :burp::cheesy:

Edited by venturalaw

Aitch

Thank you for your feed back. It really was an experience that I had and which I shared, but in no way did I indicate any place or person in what I posted as I know how hard it is to make money here at the minute. I wanted to share my experience in order to see how other people would react in the same situation. Should I have told him and seemed rude, should I have left and made my excuses, I don't. But your reply and idea about what kind of people are residing here shows yourself to be ignorant, because you read the tread and you where the only person to have a pop back at an experience that most may have come across while living here in town. Maybe next time I'll post something like, people that have been here too long think that they are superior the the rest. specially those on Thai visa

I believe your post has merit because when reading the thread, the subject proprietor well most likely realize who he is and perhaps alter his behavior, which could be helpful to his business.

Then of course there are the proprietors who will never learn because they 'know it all'. Fortunately they are few and far between.

Edited by venturalaw

............, because the proprietor wheeled over and kept talking for the whole meal. I wouldn't normally mind, but I'd not seen my brother and

A popular English and Australian expression, It didn't mean he was in a wheel chair!!!

Tell me great one who has a crystal ball, how you know the OP was English or Australian and the proprietor was in fact not in a wheel chair? Saying someone "wheeled over" could be taken either figuratively or literally!!!!!!

What an unpleasant and unnecessary topic, especially because the poster knows that a number or readers will know who and where he's talking about.

Aitch

This guy must be pretty bad if people will know who he is without a name or location given. I guess I'm not getting out enough because I haven't got a clue. Maybe someone can PM me if they know where it is as I also don't like getting interrupted during a meal when I'm out on the town. Only happened once since I've been here but it was annoying enough that I never went back for another meal.

Tell me great one who has a crystal ball, how you know the OP was English or Australian and the proprietor was in fact not in a wheel chair? Saying someone "wheeled over" could be taken either figuratively or literally!!!!!!

I presume that you are also another obnoxious colonial, that likes to think he is superior. There is only one restaurant owner in Chiangmai bound to wheel chair, and he does not wheel himself around his restaurant, for reasons I will not go into here. All I stated was that it was a popular expression in the UK and Australia, and possibly other countries as well. I did not assume anything, merely stated a possible reason. Have a nice day!