Tuks Tuks No Good!

SanukMahk

When living in Patong I would often get taken to the bottom of Sun hill and the prices would change, any discussion that the price agreed had not been delivered upon was greeted with threats (one time a wooden club). As I posted this happened maybe as much as 30 plus percent of the time when leaving town with guests back to my villa (only time I used tuktuks, for the guests). It became expected. This is the exact same spot where Drews mate had a knife pulled on him for the precise same scam and destination. Must have happened 4 or 5 times to me (I hardly ever used them) over a couple of years and possibly more to my housemate who used them more when drinking.

He had more balls than me and would agree to the new price, drive to the top and then chuck them the initial price.. Wouldnt be unusual to hear 'come on then you bastard' at 4am as they squared off.. Just what I needed when it was my car parked in driveway.

I only report this again cos you seem to demand it.. But using them was a constant battle, never being sure if I would get to the destination (and it wasnt much of an option to walk, bunch of girls, in high heels, and a 300m steep hill ??) or if there would be price rises or conflict. Not a one off, but a regular occurrence. Its about the only time I need them (when drinking) and so many of the same thing just hammered home to avoid them at all costs.

That's what I'm talking about when I say the different ways you can go about things and the different results you will achieve.

You had a problem getting to the top of Sun Hill numerous times, too many times to count it would seem, and not once did you think about being a bit smarter and doing things differently.

The first couple of times it happened to me I would simply change my tactics. I would agree the price to the bottom of the hill. When we got there I would then ask the driver if he fancied taking me to the top for a further 100 baht. He of course would accept, he would be a fool to turn down 100 baht for 30 seconds of work. The end result, I get to the top of the hill, part company with the driver on good terms, and all it's cost me is 100 baht more (when you lived there that was probably about £1.60) Baring in mind on a proper night out you would have probably spent 3,4, maybe 10 thousand baht, so are you trying to tell me an extra 100 baht to save any arguments and any long walks up big hills isn't worth it?

After the first few times you had the problem, if you weren't so arrogant and obnoxious (your mate standing in the street shouting ' come on then yer bastard', at 4am tells me quite a bit about his charecter before he even got in the tuk tuk) you would have realised the rate you were agreeing outside the club is the price to the bottom of the hill, regardless of what the driver says, you then budget further to get yourself to the top. The fact that you know what the end result will be before the tuk tuk even sets off yet you still just let things ride tells me that you have no interest in avoiding the confrontation at all. You know the drivers say they will take you to the top when they don't mean it, but instead of learning from that and moving on, you let things develop until it all kicks off again

At the end of the day, me, you and your friends could go to the same club, drink the same amount, leave at the same time, get the same tuk tuk back to the same house, yet while I'm tucked up in bed, have being dropped at my door and not woken any of my neighbours up, you are at the bottom of the hill fighting with the driver, and your mate (due to his big balls according to you) is at the top of the hill shouting 'Come on yer bastard' to the driver. That's why you and I have different outlooks on things, because we do things in a different way. If you're happy with your end results then fair enough but it doesn't sound like you are to me.

So to summerise, your biggest issue with tuk tuks comes from one main problem of getting to the top of sun hill. If you couldn't resolve that issue then it's no wonder you're not happy.

This time I am well and truely out. I have given people the chance to explain to me, exactly what their personal problems are with tuk tuks, and they have failed misserably. My argument still stands.

Do you actually think before you write as your posts sound like just verbal diarrhea to me. Anyone who spends up to 10,000 baht on a night out in Patong is an idiot.

Edited by pmgthailand

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you actually think before you write as your posts sound like just verbal diarrhea to me. Anyone who spends up to 10,000 baht on a night out in Patong is an idiot.

Oh really ?? Why ??

What about 40k ?? :whistling: is that getting more or less idiotic..

You know the drivers say they will take you to the top when they don't mean it

Is that really your defence.. That its perfectly fine to promise one price, then drive you into the dark and renegotiate with menaces when you have no other options ??

That this is fine.. Because.. "they dont mean it" when they give a price quote..

When living in Patong I would often get taken to the bottom of Sun hill and the prices would change, any discussion that the price agreed had not been delivered upon was greeted with threats (one time a wooden club). As I posted this happened maybe as much as 30 plus percent of the time when leaving town with guests back to my villa (only time I used tuktuks, for the guests). It became expected. This is the exact same spot where Drews mate had a knife pulled on him for the precise same scam and destination. Must have happened 4 or 5 times to me (I hardly ever used them) over a couple of years and possibly more to my housemate who used them more when drinking.

He had more balls than me and would agree to the new price, drive to the top and then chuck them the initial price.. Wouldnt be unusual to hear 'come on then you bastard' at 4am as they squared off.. Just what I needed when it was my car parked in driveway.

I only report this again cos you seem to demand it.. But using them was a constant battle, never being sure if I would get to the destination (and it wasnt much of an option to walk, bunch of girls, in high heels, and a 300m steep hill ??) or if there would be price rises or conflict. Not a one off, but a regular occurrence. Its about the only time I need them (when drinking) and so many of the same thing just hammered home to avoid them at all costs.

That's what I'm talking about when I say the different ways you can go about things and the different results you will achieve.

You had a problem getting to the top of Sun Hill numerous times, too many times to count it would seem, and not once did you think about being a bit smarter and doing things differently.

The first couple of times it happened to me I would simply change my tactics. I would agree the price to the bottom of the hill. When we got there I would then ask the driver if he fancied taking me to the top for a further 100 baht. He of course would accept, he would be a fool to turn down 100 baht for 30 seconds of work. The end result, I get to the top of the hill, part company with the driver on good terms, and all it's cost me is 100 baht more (when you lived there that was probably about £1.60) Baring in mind on a proper night out you would have probably spent 3,4, maybe 10 thousand baht, so are you trying to tell me an extra 100 baht to save any arguments and any long walks up big hills isn't worth it?

After the first few times you had the problem, if you weren't so arrogant and obnoxious (your mate standing in the street shouting ' come on then yer bastard', at 4am tells me quite a bit about his charecter before he even got in the tuk tuk) you would have realised the rate you were agreeing outside the club is the price to the bottom of the hill, regardless of what the driver says, you then budget further to get yourself to the top. The fact that you know what the end result will be before the tuk tuk even sets off yet you still just let things ride tells me that you have no interest in avoiding the confrontation at all. You know the drivers say they will take you to the top when they don't mean it, but instead of learning from that and moving on, you let things develop until it all kicks off again

At the end of the day, me, you and your friends could go to the same club, drink the same amount, leave at the same time, get the same tuk tuk back to the same house, yet while I'm tucked up in bed, have being dropped at my door and not woken any of my neighbours up, you are at the bottom of the hill fighting with the driver, and your mate (due to his big balls according to you) is at the top of the hill shouting 'Come on yer bastard' to the driver. That's why you and I have different outlooks on things, because we do things in a different way. If you're happy with your end results then fair enough but it doesn't sound like you are to me.

So to summerise, your biggest issue with tuk tuks comes from one main problem of getting to the top of sun hill. If you couldn't resolve that issue then it's no wonder you're not happy.

This time I am well and truely out. I have given people the chance to explain to me, exactly what their personal problems are with tuk tuks, and they have failed misserably. My argument still stands.

In other words.....you're a push-over.

Someone who will sacrifice a moral stand for peace of mind.

Another word that comes to mind is yella.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

What please isa yella?

Another word that comes to mind is commonsense but i guess that that ability is not in the mind of anyone who boasts on a public forum that he is buying a .38 revolver..:whistling: ...just saying...

Precisely, and when farangs just roll over and act like a pussy for an easy life they then think all farangs are a push over, and they can just demand money and we hand it over for nothing as I say by fair means or foul.. 100 baht this week, 200 baht next month, 500 baht next year..

Its not about the cost, I really dont care much about the cost, in fact if they drove me to the top of the hill I pretty much always tip them more than the inflated fees demanded anyway.. If he had a grin and a joke hes quite likely to get a 500 baht out of my drunk ass if thats whats in my wallet..

But I dont reward liars and cheats.. If you attempt to cheat me, if you want to lie to me, I am going to go out of my way to avoid being cheated. Simple.. I dont tolerate being pushed about, a deal is a deal, dont want it dont make it. Same in Patong, same in Tangier, same in London.

If the inner-tube is constantly being punctured, I agree, it could be where the spokes meet the rim.

The usual remedy is for an old inner-tube to be cut down so that a large "elastic-band" is created.

This is then snapped onto the rim and cusions all the rough bits from the new inner-tube.

If the inner-tube is constantly being punctured, I agree, it could be where the spokes meet the rim.

The usual remedy is for an old inner-tube to be cut down so that a large "elastic-band" is created.

This is then snapped onto the rim and cusions all the rough bits from the new inner-tube.

Come on 'KB' LivinLOS is a member of about 30 forums but he always manages to get the right posts in the right threads. :D

For me its far less the absolute fact of their pricing, more the way the price feeds a system which gives them power to be law breakers. Take that away and the price fixes itself. Its much more the blocked parking, the implicit threats, the damage of vehicles, the denial of other services, the changed deals after the journey starts, the shitty / snide comments made to female companions, etc etc etc.

Its the way that when one group can act this way, it feeds a whole system, where jetskis can be standover rackets, where any scam ends up being tolerated as part of the separate the tourist (or resident expat) from their money by fair means or foul. They are merely a symptom of the greater real problem but a very visible and easy to identify one.

Excellent and well thought out post being, totally aware of the reality and not the illusion.

Of course living in Bang Tao you dont experience this day in day out.. so its fair that you dont know.

You've hit the nail on the head mate. We should all be making decisions as to what's best for us and what is most likely to make us happy. It seems as if a lot of people aren't very good at this

Totally agreed.. We are the lucky ones, who control our own destiny... And if we feel the crime and other aspects are making the island less appealing than anywhere else, its within our power to change it. Something I am doing.

However that doesnt mean your not allowed an opinion on the negative aspects. it just means you must learn to minimize them in your life.

I go to Patong regularly, and as you mentioned there is ample parking in Jungceylon, so what's the issue? I know where I can park, I know how to treat certain people, who to avoid completely and as aresult live a very grief free life.

Patong has been my main town for 9 years, I have lived in satellite villages for a few of those years but its always been my 'hub'

(now aint that Thai marketing 101) for basic goods and services. So that changes to the town, both good and bad have been visible to me, in a way they probably are not to someone living in Nai Harn or Surin.

So I can park in Jungceylon (but not at night) thats great, if I want to go to jungceylon.. But what about the whole rest of town ?? How about everywhere else ?? Hence you keep a bike too, with the added risks of a bike, simply because a car isnt practical (this was one issue for my mum, bikes were intimidating cars impractical).

Going back a bunch of years a buddy got a new fortuna, being pleased with it and new he was trying to use it day to day. He parked over from the offshore in front of what is now the Nanai jungle sauna of recently passed Nick. This was not in front of the MB taxi stand, it was on a normal road, legally parked.. They told him to move it, he speaks fluent Thai and asked them why, its not bothering them, its not in front of them.. They wanted it moved.. So he shifted it a further 5m or so.. Now the car is maybe 8 or 10m away from them. They however decided it was obscuring their view of the road, went and keyed it all round and spiked 2 of the tyres on the non visible side. Because he parked 10m away.. Because it was 'in their view'.. Thats day to day car use in Patong.

I understand that it's different for people who work and pay taxes, but to me that is still not a valid arguement. It's your responsibility to know what you need to know about the place you live and work before you go there, and if it doesn't fit with you, you go somewhere else. I find it very strange that someone like yourself is still harping on about equal rights for tax payers. It has never been and never will, why keep beating yourself up over it instead of accepting the way it is and always will be.

I am not harping on.. I know thats how it is, and accept it.. But accepting it and agreeing with it, are not the same. I do think its basically unfair. You were the one who brought up equal rights etc and I just said that I think its unfair. Yes if someones resident, and pays taxes, has a family etc, they should have equal rights, equal rights to park in a space and use public roads. The whole 'this my country, you.. farang.. move' gets a bit old, especially when its coming from some non island Thai who may have been there a few months trying to get rich quick on the back of the same farang economy.

Your favourite argument of how things are getting worse all the time to me is a weak argument as well. I've spent a lot of time here as well although probably nowhere near as much as you, and to be honest I haven't really noticed any changes other than new buildings and roads etc but the way I live my life, adapting to my surroundings, keeping myself to myself, avoiding things likely to make me angry, then to be honest the amount of tuk tuks could double every week and I wouldn't even notice.

Well if you havent noticed changes, Bang Tao must be nice and peaceful, well done !! The last statement that they could double weekly and you wouldnt notice is of course rubbish.. Put double and then double, unemployed males around, and watch crime rocket (even more).

This year or 2 I have seen an exodus of long term expats at a rate I hadnt seen ever before, and those are not expats leaving for cheaper places they are cashed up guys trying to find a place more peaceful and safer. 2 of them have even packed up leaving empty houses unsold simply to get away. Now if thats really the case, I wonder why they are so keen to leave ??

I lived and ran a buisness for 12 years in patong and in the late 90s it was good.in 96-98 you couldn't get a tuk tuk to go up nanai road after dark.i sold out 6 years ago and moved to chaing mai.i was back in patong last week after a 5 year absence,to see friends,and all i can say is i made the right decision to move.chaing mai is by no way perfect (driving skills are just as bad if not worse than phuket) but its a better pace of life.but its changing to with more and more moo banns being built and the city expanding every year.well at least its nice for now.

but its changing to with more and more moo banns being built and the city expanding every year.well at least its nice for now.

That's a good point that I believe is very relevant. Most of the things people complain about on Phuket are just a sign of the times all over the world.

I'm from an area 30 miles outside London and over the last 20 years Londoners have flooded in, looking for a quieter life. They used to say, 'wow, this place is like London in the 70's', yet to locals the place had changed so much, got so much worse, over the years. So my area has got worse, over populated, crime rate up, immigrants flooding in from all over, yet it's still better than London, because that been getting worse at the same pace.

How many times do people say things like, so and so place is like Phuket was 20 years ago. This beach was like that beach 20 years ago etc. Every thing that's happening in Phuket is happening world over. The population goes up every day, yet as far as I know the world isn't getting any bigger. You either live with it and adjust or move on. Some people spend their lives constantly moving on to a new frontier as it were, others learn to change with the changes and stay put.

Anyway for every one person that wants to leave there will be 10 who want to stay. Add to that another 10 who have just got off the plane for the first time and have fallen in love with the place. (The Londoners moving to my area love the place, even though to me it's a hole.) So who are you to say Phuket, as it is now, isn't just perfect for the new comers. It's very ego centric for people to convince themselves that the entire life span of an area coincides with the time they spent there. Which is why so many people come on TV slating Phuket and Thailand in general, after they've left. They seem to have a hard time accepting that the place will be just fine without them.

Yesterday, in Karon, I sighted what appeared to be another Tuk Tuk incident.

Outside The Mermaid Inn, just up from the circle, in an area the TT's have claimed as their own, it appears some tourists had parked their car in the wrong place.

As I was driving past, I couldn't work out exactly what was happening, but it seemed a Bib was being shown damage to the parked car by a large group of westerners standing on the road near the vehicle.

There were crowds of people watching the show.

Outside The Mermaid Inn, just up from the circle, in an area the TT's have claimed as their own, it appears some tourists had parked their car in the wrong place.

As I was driving past, I couldn't work out exactly what was happening, but it seemed a Bib was being shown damage to the parked car by a large group of westerners standing on the road near the vehicle.

Another keyed car, they own the streets.......

More wishy washy, weak, nothing to it, nonsense. It says a lot about somebodies argument, if they can only rely on second hand stories, and rumours on an internet forum, based on what some bloke saw out of the corner of his eye as he was driving past. weak, weak, weak. :(

Not worth mentioning, as far as I'm concerned.

More wishy washy, weak, nothing to it, nonsense. It says a lot about somebodies argument, if they can only rely on second hand stories, and rumours on an internet forum, based on what some bloke saw out of the corner of his eye as he was driving past. weak, weak, weak. :(

Well at least they are here to experience it, not posting from the UK.

Well at least they are here to experience it, not posting from the UK.

I'm in the Uk for a few weeks, I said that already in another thread. If anything, a few weeks in the West probably helps create a more balanced outlook on things. I don't get stuck in a little negative anti Phuket bubble that you've been in for 5 years.

If you didn't live your life through internet forums, maybe you would have friends and family abroad to catch up with as well. Kids need to see their grand parents. You got any kids 'LivinLOS'?

So maybe something happened there with tuktuks, maybe not.

I think a few people here need to take up yoga, golf or something to get them the <deleted> away from the keyboard and this ongoing saga of those naughty tuk tuk drivers. It only takes a few days of rain to get a psychopath convention going on this forum.

When I want a laugh on these wet days I just turn on Fox news- then thank God I'm not an American :lol:

I think a few people here need to take up yoga, golf or something to get them the <deleted> away from the keyboard and this ongoing saga of those naughty tuk tuk drivers. It only takes a few days of rain to get a psychopath convention going on this forum.

When I want a laugh on these wet days I just turn on Fox news- then thank God I'm not an American :lol:

I agree completely. I'm only posting so much at the moment because (as 'LivinLOS' so randomly pointed out) I'm in the UK and well to be honest it's a bit poo here to say the least.

It's not the amount of posts that I find strange, just the moaning, negative vibe mosts posters have. For me, the day you need to come on an internet forum and be unnesecarily negative, to make yourself feel better about yourself, is a very sad day indeed.

I've been reading this forum for about 4 years and you 'logbags', along with 'Stevenl' are the two best posters. (after me of course)

(Note to 'LivinLOS' - 'logbags' has been a member for the same time as you but has made 11,400 less posts than you. Quality not quantity my friend)

Anyway, a few more threads helping each other to enjoy life in Phuket wouldn't go a miss.

Well there seems to be a competition going on here to be seen as the biggest victim. Victimhood is practically a career for some people who post here. If you leave home everyday expecting to find a con artist or evil Tuk Tuk driver on every corner, I assure you that you will, because every victim must have a victimizer, even if he as to create one himself.

That way you can happily return home and inform the Thai Visa readers about how persecuted you are.

I'm certain if I posted asking about where to find a nice burger someone would come online to warn me to be aware of the 'Burger Mafia'

So far we have the

Jet ski mafia

Tuk Tuk Mafia

Taxi mafia

Traffic police mafia

Beach chair mafia

Photocopy mafia

Beggar mafia

Pharmacy mafia

Tout mafia

Suit seller mafia

Child flower seller mafia

Real estate mafia

Motorbike repair shop mafia

Beauty shop mafia

Time share mafia

Forgive me if I've missed a mafia and don't despair, some 'victim' will have created another one by the end of the week.....

Well there seems to be a competition going on here to be seen as the biggest victim. Victimhood is practically a career for some people who post here. If you leave home everyday expecting to find a con artist or evil Tuk Tuk driver on every corner, I assure you that you will, because every victim must have a victimizer, even if he as to create one himself.

That way you can happily return home and inform the Thai Visa readers about how persecuted you are.

I'm certain if I posted asking about where to find a nice burger someone would come online to warn me to be aware of the 'Burger Mafia'

So far we have the

Jet ski mafia

Tuk Tuk Mafia

Taxi mafia

Traffic police mafia

Beach chair mafia

Photocopy mafia

Beggar mafia

Pharmacy mafia

Tout mafia

Suit seller mafia

Real estate mafia

Beauty shop mafia

Time share mafia

Forgive me if I've missed a mafia and don't despair, some 'victim' will have created another one by the end of the week.....

Beer Bar Mamasan Mafia – makes the Tuk Tuk Mafia look like an old ladies knitting club. Armed with face’s like welders’ benches and homicidal tendencies, one is advised not argue with this odious mob. If cornered and it looks like you’re gonna kop it big time, offer to bar fine her.

Chicken Kebab Mafia (Bangla Road) – scary bunch who wheel out their trolleys’ of death to coincide with that time of the evening when the Farangs are well charlied and think they need something to eat. With no real Indian Tandoori nearby, the lashed farang will lurch towards said kebab stand and buy something which under a normal situation, he wouldn’t eat even if he was starving to death. One hour later he’s gripping his stomach and will spend the next 3 days on the hong nam whilst gulping down charcoal tablets, convinced his days are numbered in single figures. I fell for this once and can only describe the symptoms as similar to what a bad case of cholera must be like.

Massage Girl Mafia – these sirens of the day and night, calling to their hapless prey as they pass by....yep, they got me too on this one. T’was my first visit to Phuket 10 years ago and I was innocently ambling along the 100 Rhat Ass Pee Road in Patong, when the call came “Harro, fawang, I gib yoo werry good massah wid happi happi!”....happy happy?...I studied the plastic menu card...oil massage 400 Baht..yep, one of those will be the ticket and in I went. Imagine my shock when I left one hour later 1400 Baht lighter...cheeky wench wanted a tip as well. Made me wish I’d bought my Butler, crivvens, he’d have seen that one coming.

So far we have the

Jet ski mafia

Tuk Tuk Mafia

Taxi mafia

Traffic police mafia

Beach chair mafia

Photocopy mafia

Beggar mafia

Pharmacy mafia

Tout mafia

Suit seller mafia

Real estate mafia

Beauty shop mafia

Time share mafia

Beer Bar Mamasan Mafia – makes the Tuk Tuk Mafia look like an old ladies knitting club. Armed with face’s like welders’ benches and homicidal tendencies, one is advised not argue with this odious mob. If cornered and it looks like you’re gonna kop it big time, offer to bar fine her.

Chicken Kebab Mafia (Bangla Road) – scary bunch who wheel out their trolleys’ of death to coincide with that time of the evening when the Farangs are well charlied and think they need something to eat. With no real Indian Tandoori nearby, the lashed farang will lurch towards said kebab stand and buy something which under a normal situation, he wouldn’t eat even if he was starving to death. One hour later he’s gripping his stomach and will spend the next 3 days on the hong nam whilst gulping down charcoal tablets, convinced his days are numbered in single figures. I fell for this once and can only describe the symptoms as similar to what a bad case of cholera must be like.

Massage Girl Mafia – these sirens of the day and night, calling to their hapless prey as they pass by....yep, they got me too on this one. T’was my first visit to Phuket 10 years ago and I was innocently ambling along the 100 Rhat Ass Pee Road in Patong, when the call came “Harro, fawang, I gib yoo werry good massah wid happi happi!”....happy happy?...I studied the plastic menu card...oil massage 400 Baht..yep, one of those will be the ticket and in I went. Imagine my shock when I left one hour later 1400 Baht lighter...cheeky wench wanted a tip as well. Made me wish I’d bought my Butler, crivvens, he’d have seen that one coming.

Nice post.

'tis good to have a laugh when this thread appears to have been taken over by an English resident with a large opinion of himself.

So far we have the

Jet ski mafia

Tuk Tuk Mafia

Taxi mafia

Traffic police mafia

Beach chair mafia

Photocopy mafia

Beggar mafia

Pharmacy mafia

Tout mafia

Suit seller mafia

Real estate mafia

Beauty shop mafia

Time share mafia

Beer Bar Mamasan Mafia – makes the Tuk Tuk Mafia look like an old ladies knitting club. Armed with face's like welders' benches and homicidal tendencies, one is advised not argue with this odious mob. If cornered and it looks like you're gonna kop it big time, offer to bar fine her.

Chicken Kebab Mafia (Bangla Road) – scary bunch who wheel out their trolleys' of death to coincide with that time of the evening when the Farangs are well charlied and think they need something to eat. With no real Indian Tandoori nearby, the lashed farang will lurch towards said kebab stand and buy something which under a normal situation, he wouldn't eat even if he was starving to death. One hour later he's gripping his stomach and will spend the next 3 days on the hong nam whilst gulping down charcoal tablets, convinced his days are numbered in single figures. I fell for this once and can only describe the symptoms as similar to what a bad case of cholera must be like.

Massage Girl Mafia – these sirens of the day and night, calling to their hapless prey as they pass by....yep, they got me too on this one. T'was my first visit to Phuket 10 years ago and I was innocently ambling along the 100 Rhat Ass Pee Road in Patong, when the call came "Harro, fawang, I gib yoo werry good massah wid happi happi!"....happy happy?...I studied the plastic menu card...oil massage 400 Baht..yep, one of those will be the ticket and in I went. Imagine my shock when I left one hour later 1400 Baht lighter...cheeky wench wanted a tip as well. Made me wish I'd bought my Butler, crivvens, he'd have seen that one coming.

Gave me a good laugh as well.

But the most annoying to me is the Blind Roaming Karaoke Singers Mafia. These folks will get in your face while you're eating at a restaurant or drinking at a bar, drowning out any conversation and whatever music may be playing there, and stand over you while you eat or drink waiting for a handout.

I once saw a Thai security guard quickly throw them out of a hotel restaurant where they had a birthday party going on. He looked at me and rolled his eyes and said, "These people make more money than I do!"

What a weak, weak, little whacker you are!

I am the "some bloke" to whom you refer. The incident I described wasn't second hand, a story, nor a rumour. I didn't see it out of the corner of my eye, the traffic there is slow to stopped at the best of times (you would know if you had ever actually been to Phuket). And on this occassion it was stopped because the participants in the incident were blocking a large part of the road. I had a good look at what was occurring while waiting for the traffic to clear.

Also, I had stayed in the Little Mermaid Hotel for a week, a couple of months ago, and spent a bit of time in their bar/restaurant which is adjacent to the TukTuk stand. I observed the TT drivers bullying behavior in moving on people, who thought they could park there, a number of times.

While I didn't actually state a conclusion in my post, the principal of Occam's Razor would reasonably suggest the driver thugs were responsible for what was happening on the day.

Not some little troll from Plaistow.

What a weak, weak, little whacker you are!

I am the "some bloke" to whom you refer. The incident I described wasn't second hand, a story, nor a rumour. I didn't see it out of the corner of my eye, the traffic there is slow to stopped at the best of times (you would know if you had ever actually been to Phuket). And on this occassion it was stopped because the participants in the incident were blocking a large part of the road. I had a good look at what was occurring while waiting for the traffic to clear.

Also, I had stayed in the Little Mermaid Hotel for a week, a couple of months ago, and spent a bit of time in their bar/restaurant which is adjacent to the TukTuk stand. I observed the TT drivers bullying behavior in moving on people, who thought they could park there, a number of times.

While I didn't actually state a conclusion in my post, the principal of Occam's Razor would reasonably suggest the driver thugs were responsible for what was happening on the day.

Well put;

I have to agree.

Nice post.

'tis good to have a laugh when this thread appears to have been taken over by an English resident with a large opinion of himself.

:lol:

I'm sorry mate if my posts are a bit too high brow for you. I was just expressing my genuine opinion. I think you'll find some people agreed with some of what I said, and the majority who didn't, were able to argue their point without resorting to the pathetic 'You don't even live here'' and 'I've lived here longer than you' lines that are so over used on TV by people with very little to say of any worth.

I could tell you how long I've lived in Phuket, but I have nothing to prove to the likes of you. If you telling yourselves that I live in England makes you feel better about your own lives, then I'm happy to be of service. How's this for you. I'm also very lonely, with no family, very little money, have acne all over my face, and one of my legs is slightly shorter than the other, and I cry myself to sleep every night. I bet you feel a million dollars now don't you old boy.

As for the troll comment, you are way off the mark, and I have absolutely no idea where Plaistow is.

On a serious note. I was reading an article recently, about dementia, and how it goes undetected for so many years, and the odd behaviour just being put down to old age. Worth thinking about old timers.

You forgot Speed Boat mafia...they are actually a bit scary!!

So far we have the

Jet ski mafia

Tuk Tuk Mafia

Taxi mafia

Traffic police mafia

Beach chair mafia

Photocopy mafia

Beggar mafia

Pharmacy mafia

Tout mafia

Suit seller mafia

Real estate mafia

Beauty shop mafia

Time share mafia