Inexpensive Indian Food

pcruzer

I"m very charming in Thai

I've met you and I know that you are one of the good guys, but I go to Aroon Rai fairly often (it is very close to my home) and they are alway nice and polite and some dishes are quite good. It sounds like you had some bad experiences, but from what I have seen, over many years, they are not common there. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Had a lovely Vindaloo last night. It was brought to me frozen from a friend who'd been in Phuket and was supplied by a company called Brit Indian Curries.

It was very tasty, all be it a little hot for my usual taste with indian food but the amount of meat used was very suprising .... loads of the stuff, all nice chunks of chicken.

They have their own website www.brit-indian-curries.com

I've tried one of the sausage king ones from rimping and all I can say is that he's lucky these guys are only in Phuket!

These the ones they sell at Ladypie?

If so the one I tried recently was watery and bland, not something I'd try again.

If Ladypie is in Phuket then possibly but I've never heard of the place so can't give you a 100% answer there mate.

They are only available in Phuket so if it's somewhere up here then clearly not lol

re .... Dave....send your maid or any other thai for a take away at aroon rai and you will only pay thb40 tops for your fav curry

nahhh ... id have to pay them 20 baht to go ..... false ecconomy : )

anyway ... a newbie with a whole 6 posts knows this ? .... hhhmmmm ... enough said i think

enjoy .... dave2

Old Wise One... you are good with economics, better than I, at least. My apologies as I did not know your maid is being paid on ad-hoc basis. Should I recommend a monthly paid maid if that is more economical?

And thanks in advance to all Grand Masters to enlighten my days ahead in all aspect due to my ignorance as a newbie, give me time and opportunities and slowly but surely I will rise up the ranks to be a humble master someday.....Arigatto yoroshikumase.

And newbies, don't confuse a massaman curry with Indian curry. It may somewhat approach the need to have a currified meat and potatoes thing over rice, but it's a horse of a different color (southern Thai or even Malay). Apples and pears, if you will. You can find a great massaman for cheap at the curry n rice place (khao raad gaeng)just north of Chang Puak Gate on the left side of Chang Puak (20 m from the corner) right next to a pretty good chicken biryani place (kaho mok gai). They're open from lunch or so, but I'm always there after 6pm any time up till 1 am really. Between clubs, or after work and before a night out,... i8t's a good place to get their version kharee gai (massaman's little bro) over rice for 15, 20, or 30 B. Thirty baht will really do you right. Gaeng Kiaw waan is pretty nice there too - try it over khanom jin noodles !

RTD has spoken

Thanks for the highlight RTD, but the pict shows a bowl with some chicken cutlets and potatoes halves in very light coconut creamed soup instead of a rich creamy texture with visible curry leaves and crushed candle nuts toppings. Guessed I have mistaken, my sincere apologies, I just need to ask good old grannie who still wears the saree to show me the difference so I would not poke my index finger into the wrong curry pot on my next curry lunch.

Being a newbie has its previlages to learn from own mistakes....ehh Dante99?

Just had one of the best C.T.M curries I have had in Thailand (well since the last time I bought off this guy) Brit Indian Curries based in Rawai, Phuket. I was down there last week and have brough a full cool box back with me, not the cheapest at 150thb retail but you get a full man sized curry without the rice compartment and it comes with at least 15 big sized pieces of chicken, definatley the best over in the LOS in my opinion, I like Sausage King's curries but they are poor in comparison to Brit Indian currys. I passed a Vindaloo on to a friend who loved it also.

Edited by thaimiller

• 3 weeks later...

Its not new, and not hot, unless they have spiced it up. I havent used it in over 2 years since my first experience.

Can anyone else confirm if it has improved?

Cheers

Iain

If the OP is referring to The Curry Pot, then it most certainly hasn't improved.

I can only desribe it in one word "Yuk".

Went there last night. I can only say the most disgusting Indian I've ever eaten.

And newbies, don't confuse a massaman curry with Indian curry. It may somewhat approach the need to have a currified meat and potatoes thing over rice, but it's a horse of a different color (southern Thai or even Malay). Apples and pears, if you will. You can find a great massaman for cheap at the curry n rice place (khao raad gaeng)just north of Chang Puak Gate on the left side of Chang Puak (20 m from the corner) right next to a pretty good chicken biryani place (kaho mok gai). They're open from lunch or so, but I'm always there after 6pm any time up till 1 am really. Between clubs, or after work and before a night out,... i8t's a good place to get their version kharee gai (massaman's little bro) over rice for 15, 20, or 30 B. Thirty baht will really do you right. Gaeng Kiaw waan is pretty nice there too - try it over khanom jin noodles !

RTD has spoken

Thanks for the highlight RTD, but the pict shows a bowl with some chicken cutlets and potatoes halves in very light coconut creamed soup instead of a rich creamy texture with visible curry leaves and crushed candle nuts toppings. Guessed I have mistaken, my sincere apologies, I just need to ask good old grannie who still wears the saree to show me the difference so I would not poke my index finger into the wrong curry pot on my next curry lunch.

There is a difference between curries of Indian origin as opposed to Thai origin. Even the Japanese and Koreans have their own taste to what curry is and hence a curry to call their own. Whether your granny still wears a saree or not is probably not of interest to anyone here.

RTD has spoken

Yes, everybody knows newbies are the lowest of the low, can not have knowledge or experience worthy of mention and just have to be tolerated until after they make thousands of posts and join the ranks of the gods.