Coffee Bean Stores

ljerams

1500 kilo isn't exactly a bargin, but the coffee I'm buying in little 200 gram bags adds up to that also. This is a good thread for those who enjoy good coffee, but funny thing I've tried a lot of the expensive Thai coffee from Tops and villa mart, and none of them taste that good to me. They have that cheap bitter taste that you would find in coffee that comes in a big can for a few hundred baht back in the west.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally speaking Thai coffee is quite bad, and Dao coffee is equally as bad.

There is one exception though, and that is Duang Dee, as has been mentioned in this thread already.

Hand picked, organic, hand roasted, hand ground.

Most of the time you will find the ready ground 250 gram vacuum packed bags, but they do sell the whole beans as well (although more rare).

Personally I like 3 flavors they have.

Classic, a little less flavor, so it is easier on the tongue, low bitterness, short aftertaste.

Unique Strong, truly a "pick me up" coffee. Lots of flavor, low bitterness, short aftertaste. Works well as Iced Coffee.

Extra Smooth, I like this one for my espresso shots, but as a full drawn coffee it is not as good as the others.

Read more about Duang Dee

Interestingly, I have never been too impressed with Duang Dee and also cannot replicate the Dao Coffee I bought at the Exhibition. This may of course be down to my poor brewing methods and the fact that I didn't grind any beans so far.

Up to now for Thai Coffee I have a preference for Lanna Coffee which is more to my taste.

However, I will try again once I have located a bean supplier for the Coffees recommended in this Thread.

I also plan to try Ethiopian and Brazil beans when I get the chance to visit Peaberry's.

So keep your suggestions coming as I'm learning fast. :D

Ref Starbucks.

Buy 5 bags (Over a period or all at once) then get 1 free. So therefore brings the price down to around 430THB for 250grams.

These are simply the best selection of beans available in Thailand. They are not over roasted (Burnt) same as Starbucks regular roast that they serve.

Some brilliant beans from brilliant parts of the world. Gladly pay the 430thb for the quality - no other supplier is currently coming close in Thailand.

Duangdee used to be one of the best local coffees you could buy, but I think they're near the bottom of the list nowadays. My favorite is Doi Chaang. Aside from the BTS kiosk someone mentioned, there's an full-fledged branch on Suk Soi 53.

For imported beans, I'll take the house blend at the new Dean & Deluca on Narathiwat Rd near the Chong Nonsee BTS. Not only is it roasted fresh right in Bangkok (unlike Starbucks), but the price isn't bad. I forgot what all the different beans included in the blend were but it was an impressive list and included Ethiopian.

Also the baristas at D&D seem to know what they're doing. A lot of espresso joints in Bangkok overmilk the caps and lattes, or use the same coffee beans for both plain espresso and cups that include milk. Milked coffees require a different roast, and D&D seem to have that right.

• 2 weeks later...

Many coffee critics say Doi Chaang is best. I've seen it in Villa supermarkets in Bangkok. There is also a kiosk in the Phrom Phong BTS station.

I walked thru the PP BTS station the other day, and saw a couple of small coffee stands, but didn't see anything with the "Doi Chang" name or anyplace that looked like they had coffee beans for sale???

Separately, had dinner the other night at Dean & DeLuca just down the stairs from the Chong Nonsi BTS station... Didn't try their coffee, but they have a nice selection of well-executed deserts... and a refreshing sticky rice and mango frappe.

For dinner, I had their seafood paella, but was less than excited about it... A pretty weak offering compared to the quite good paella at Tapas Cafe in Bangkok, including their location just off Suk Soi 11....

The Dean & DeLuca location is an interesting one... It's a huge open, two-story space with concrete floors... and cafeteria style serving/service... Order at the counter, pay, pick up your drinks and then they'll deliver the food to your table. It felt a bit, no, more than a bit, like having dinner inside an airport hanger building.... Though my wife and I both agreed we'd go back for drinks and desert from time to time...

They also do have a grocery section for takeout stocked with fresh baked breads, packed coffees, spices and seasonings and related stuff. Even porcini flavored sea salt...something I hadn't known existed before... laugh.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped by Phrom Phong station for a cup of Doi Chaang a few days ago. It's still there, past the western gate.

I notice that Villa is now selling 250g bags of Doi Chaang "100% Highland Arabica" for 125 baht, a very good price considering the quality. So I'm buying my Doi Chaang beans there now.

D&D's coffee is much more expensive. For me it's fine for the occasional treat but not for everyday consumption. Can't afford it!

Re Doi Chang and Phom Phrong BTS Station, on a subsequent walk thru there at a different hour (daytime) of the day, I did spot the little counter shop with a "Doi Chang" sign on it...on the sky walkway area heading away from the BTS gates and inward toward town, I think on the odd sois side.... Couldn't stop at the time, but it didn't look like a place that was selling coffee beans or ground coffee...as opposed to just serving coffee.

Ya, I spotted it the other day and tried one of their coffees.... It tasted like... coffee!

post-53787-0-60069000-1294161686_thumb.j

As I had mentioned earlier, on the Sky Bridge walkway heading out from the BTS gate inward toward downtown and the park...on the odd sois side of the Sky Bridge.

Edited by jfchandler

• 2 months later...

Just in case anyone is still interested in good coffee at home, here are some tips that I learned.

For espresso, which is also the base for cappuccino and latte, use Arabica beans. Those from the north of Thailand are good. A blend of those with a small proportion of Robusta beans from the south might help produce a good crema but Robusta are of lesser quality and higher in caffeine. You need the darkish roast known as 'French Roast'. Buy from a main source, not a branch outlet or a business that buys them ready roasted and stores them in a back room. Tell the supplier that you want them for espresso. They must be fresh to avoid a bitter taste. Grind them to use and do not store ground coffee, even over night. You should be able to buy a kilo of Thai Arabica from between B400 and B700, according to quality. Suppliers will give discounts on larger orders.

My advice came from an Italian barista and other professional sources and has proved correct.

A recommended supplier in BKK is K2. I haven't used them myself but professionals order from them.

http://www.k2.co.th/

I just received my second batch of Coffee Khao Thalu from Chumphon. Of course, it's a matter of taste, but I really like these dark roasted beans. The price is right, too. Five kilos in 500 gram vacuum packed bags delivered to my home for 1050 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

I would LOVE to find packets of ground Thai coffee beans for sale in the UK....but so far no luck. Anyone found some?

When in Bangkok I've tried most coffees either in situ or through my espresso machine. Most of the Thai coffees are too strong yet less tasty for me, but by far the best is the Aroma brand (Thai Arabica) which is found in Paragon and Villa markets. Second only to Blue Mountain (import) which is much more expensive.

I would LOVE to find packets of ground Thai coffee beans for sale in the UK....but so far no luck. Anyone found some?

When in Bangkok I've tried most coffees either in situ or through my espresso machine. Most of the Thai coffees are too strong yet less tasty for me, but by far the best is the Aroma brand (Thai Arabica) which is found in Paragon and Villa markets. Second only to Blue Mountain (import) which is much more expensive.

Try here for BKK suppliers:

http://www.boncafe.co.th/prods/coffee/coffee.php3

http://www.k2.co.th/coffee/

Thai Arabica is very good coffee and makes excellent espresso. Avoid the cheap Robusta from the south. It's high in caffeine and tends to be bitter. Some suppliers off a blend of Arabica and Robusta which is OK if the Robusta proportion is very small.

Remember that ground coffee doesn't stay fresh for long. If you can, buy a good grinder, learn how to set it for the best result and buy the roasted Arabica beans.

• 2 weeks later...

having tried coffee from around the world,pea-berry from kenya was the best,but since in thailand i have tried many and found duang-dee-hill tribe coffee pretty good also the price is reasonable.i just had a order direct from them,min.3kilos at 280baht a kilo[ground] but they also sell the beans. tel.053 219361, mob.0816029180

Elefin Cafe on Sukhumvit soi 1 roasts their own beans iin small batches so the coffee is really fresh and quite enjoyable...

http://www.elefincoffee.com/

Another good company is Coffee Works......two professional roasters from the US and both really nice guys with good products

http://www.mycoffeeworks.com/

I personally think that the locally roasted beans will always be superior to anything roasted abroad and shipped here as the time it takes to get here naturally oxides the coffee and makes is more bitter

Cheers for the info everyone I am an avid coffee drinker and insist on carrying a 'french press' machine everywhere we travel.

Stuck in the UK at the moment :( but next time back will track em all down :coffee1:

Aside from Laos further afield I was most impressed by Indonesian island's coffee, every island was different and all were good(Flores,Bali,Java,Sumba etc) so many!! mmm

• 1 month later...

A new cafe called Roast has recently opened in SeenSpace on Thonglor Soi 13. They have two huge Geisen drum roasters and roast fresh on the premises a couple of times a week. Excellent coffee, and available as beans to take away. Not quite as good as Doi Chaang but better than most other brands. Not cheap. Hillkoff has good beans for a decent price if you can find it. D'Oro too. I found both at the gourmet grocery in Paragon near the cineplex.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re; Laos Coffee

Have tried several times at coffee trade shows. Taste not to my liking. I wonder if they use the bare pavement to dry beans? The smell of the ground will be absorbed in the beans and damage the flavor.

Have seen this in Bali arabica beans becaue they also lay the beans on the bare ground. Bali arabica (recent production) as they are known for robusta, has great potential, if they alter their methods.

Thai coffee is typically bitter and many use sugar to offset. Probably soil related?

A new cafe called Roast has recently opened in SeenSpace on Thonglor Soi 13. They have two huge Geisen drum roasters and roast fresh on the premises a couple of times a week. Excellent coffee, and available as beans to take away. Not quite as good as Doi Chaang but better than most other brands. Not cheap. Hillkoff has good beans for a decent price if you can find it. D'Oro too. I found both at the gourmet grocery in Paragon near the cineplex.

Interesting to hear you say that you feel the 'Roast' coffee isn't as good as Doi Chaang. I really like what Roast do and have never been too keen on Doi Chaang and having tried a few of thier roasts, gave up on them. I generally drink espressos or espresso based coffee and found the Doi Chaang roasts I tried either a bit bland or over roasted and extrememly bitter.

Which of the Doi Chaang range do you prefer? I'd like to use Doi Chaang, but have never found a coffee I like from them.

• 2 weeks later...

great thread, the kind of information i've been looking for. have to try Ratika in particular as they're nearby.

i'm considering getting into roasting my own at some point but not yet. right now i want to find a good burr grinder (blade grinders suck). i just bought a vintage Chemex on eBay, it's not here yet. (the old Chemex pots are Pyrex and better built than the current ones).

• 2 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of Vietnamese grown coffee after I went there about a year ago. Trying to find it in Thailand became so hard that I started ordering it to the US and having it hand carried here.

I use an aeropress and freshly ground all my beans. I finally had the great fortune of meeting an expat that imports HUGE amounts of Vietnamese grown beans to Thailand and roasts them in country. I have been buying all my beans direct through him and I'm never disappointed. They are always freshly roasted and the price is reasonable compared to the options for imported beans. His name is Nick and if you are interested them shoot me a PM and I can put you in touch with him.