American Student Found Dead In Phuket With Plastic Bag Over Head

webfact

American student found dead in Phuket

gallery_327_1086_29353.jpg

The passport of the late Mr Williams, dead in Phuket at the age of 39.

PHUKET: -- An American man studying to become an English teacher was found dead in his Phuket Town hotel room last night.

Phuket City Police said it appears that Peter Williams, a 39-year-old from New York State, committed suicide in his room at Roongrawee Mansion, near Vachira Phuket Hospital on Yaowarat Road.

Yesterday evening at around 11pm, four friends went to Mr Williams’ room and knocked on the door, but no-one answered, police said.

Opening the door, hotel staff found Mr Williams with a plastic bag over his head, hanging by a rope tied to a window.

The friends initially thought he was still alive, but after they took his body down to the bed they realized that he had already passed away.

There were no bruises on his body aside from those caused by the rope and bag around his neck, police said.

Mr Williams had been on Phuket less than a month. He was in his third week of a TEFL training course at Via Lingua teacher training school in Samkong.

Police found a letter in the room. Apparently written by the deceased, it stated that he could not stand the pain any longer and wanted to end his life.

Friends of the deceased said that drugs found in the room were regularly taken by Mr Williams, who had told people he was suffering from an incurable disease.

Police suspect that Mr Williams killed himself for this reason. After investigating the room, they say they do not suspect foul play.

Staff at the Roongrawee mansion, popular with students of TEFL courses in Phuket, told the Gazette that Mr Williams had been there for three weeks.

He was generally described as friendly and “okay” during his stay, but seemed “absent-minded and blurred” in the days leading up to his death.

Eric Haeg, TEFL teacher trainer at Via Lingua said of Mr Williams, “He was an intelligent and likable guy. Everyone here liked him and this has come as quite a shock to all of us. I give my condolences to his family”.

The US Embassy has been in contact with the family, members of which are planning to come to Phuket soon.

Mr Williams’ remains were taken to the nearby Vachira Phuket Hospital for examination and storage.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-10-28

Very sad case.

(But someone please slap the Phuket Gazette reporter, the headline should be that someone committed suicide, not that someone was found dead with a plastic bag over the head. Do these 'journalists' have no classic training at all?)

I'm with Tawp on this one. However, the term "American Student" was also misleading. I expect that I wasn't the only one to immediately think that the deceased was a young person. A 39 year old taking a TEFL course should have been described as an adult student or a 39 year old student. Current headline is too senationalistic for my taste and unfortunately falls into the category of crass and disrespectful. I appreciate that suicides are not easy to report, but it would be nice to stick to the facts only.

So sad. Rest in peace.

I hope it is another one of those, like the American actor in Bangkok hotel.

You meant to say NOT one of those? no evidence to suggest it was in any way like DC

Very sad... troubled mind and heart - a final solution to a somewhat temporary problem that seemed insurmountable - RIP

I'm with Tawp on this one. However, the term "American Student" was also misleading. I expect that I wasn't the only one to immediately think that the deceased was a young person. A 39 year old taking a TEFL course should have been described as an adult student or a 39 year old student. Current headline is too senationalistic for my taste and unfortunately falls into the category of crass and disrespectful. I appreciate that suicides are not easy to report, but it would be nice to stick to the facts only.

Jeeez. You guys make me laugh.

These mealy mouthed RIPs/So sad's are becoming such a cliche here. And I know that these posters post, and then forget about whomsoever has 'rubbed it' a nanosecond later.

This particular young man (plastic bag - who ,apparently - nice 'visuals' although not to my particular brand of offing myself (claustrophobic) and, neither the 'hanging') so obviously wanted to 'leave'.

My point being that albeit very nice for friends and family (wherever they are) to read these comments by people their loved ones have quite possibly never met, are prurient and mawkish. And I do wish this forum would confine itself to imemoriams from those who actually knew the guy, and desisted from prurient speculation as to the surrounding circumstances, (not a stranger to this forum). In other words <deleted>, and have some respect.

These mealy mouthed RIPs/So sad's are becoming such a cliche here. And I know that these posters post, and then forget about whomsoever has 'rubbed it' a nanosecond later.

This particular young man (plastic bag - who ,apparently - nice 'visuals' although not to my particular brand of offing myself (claustrophobic) and, neither the 'hanging') so obviously wanted to 'leave'.

My point being that albeit very nice for friends and family (wherever they are) to read these comments by people their loved ones have quite possibly never met, are prurient and mawkish. And I do wish this forum would confine itself to imemoriams from those who actually knew the guy, and desisted from prurient speculation as to the surrounding circumstances, (not a stranger to this forum). In other words <deleted>, and have some respect.

This is a bit of a silly post! Can you not understand that there are people out there who are less cynical than you.

There are people who can look at a sad situation, and have some sympathy for it. No, I did not know the person, and I will not remember him a year from now. However, I can find it in my heart to think that someone ended a sad and lonely life when things might not have been so bad.

So - RIP and may you find peace now.

Inmysights - may you learn that your fellow man is more tolerant and more sympathetic than you. Do not judge others by your standards.You decided to make a fairly offensive post deriding people who thought only good thoughts. Who is not showing some respect? (<deleted> is not very respectful in my mind!)

I agree on this. But then, I am not in the business of selling news.

RIP, poor fellow.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls ........................... the death of one man etc.

Can we not find some noble thought to mark the passing of this man or are we such hard hearts that have no feeling?

Long may we pause at such sad passing and show respect.

That is all that is needed. Compassionate understanding.

The key board warriors are nothing more than key board worriers.

I'm with Tawp on this one............I appreciate that suicides are not easy to report, but it would be nice to stick to the facts only.

I agree on this. But then, I am not in the business of selling news. RIP, poor fellow.

Fact 1: he was American (confirmed by the American Embassy)

Fact 2: he was a student (confirmed by Via Lingua Teacher Training School)

Fact 3: he was found dead in Phuket (confirmed by his friends).

Fact 4: he was found with a plastic bag over his head (confirmed by the hotel staff)

Total speculation : he committed suicide (confirmed by tombkk, geriatrickid and Tawp, prior to any autopsy or police confirmation)

I'm with Tawp on this one............I appreciate that suicides are not easy to report, but it would be nice to stick to the facts only.

I agree on this. But then, I am not in the business of selling news. RIP, poor fellow.

Fact 1: he was American (confirmed by the American Embassy)

Fact 2: he was a student (confirmed by Via Lingua Teacher Training School)

Fact 3: he was found dead in Phuket (confirmed by his friends).

Fact 4: he was found with a plastic bag over his head (confirmed by the hotel staff)

Total speculation : he committed suicide (confirmed by tombkk, geriatrickid and Tawp, prior to any autopsy or police confirmation)

No, I didn't confirm that this was suicide. I would have to go back in the thread, but maybe the other posters you mention didn't confirm this either. They will reply individually.

I do confirm that I feel sad for the poor guy, though. And I agreed in my earlier post that it was difficult to report. Please do not interpret things into my posts that I didn't say or mean.

So sad. Rest in peace.

I hope it is another one of those, like the American actor in Bangkok hotel.

You meant to say NOT one of those? no evidence to suggest it was in any way like DC

Very sad... troubled mind and heart - a final solution to a somewhat temporary problem that seemed insurmountable - RIP

Sorry, I miss out the "NOT". Thanks for pointing it out.

I sincere apology. It was not intentional.

Sad affair, I had a friend who was indeed the most well met hale hearty man one could wish to meet. He committed suicide as he was under the impression his wife was conducting an affair with another man. She was not having an affair at all nor ever had done so either.

Malcolm, who worked with our team never ever bared his soul to anyone his demeanour never changed yet that doubt was eating him up and finally killed him.

Mental torture or mental breakdown we shall never know ?

As an aside , I am sure that Chantorn did indeed post in error concerning her remark .

I hope it is another one of those, (like the American actor in Bangkok hotel) which she later corrected.

None of us are infallible.

One hopes that the deceased persons family can cope with their loss, and that the deceased person concerned has now found peace.

This is a bit of a silly post! Can you not understand that there are people out there who are less cynical than you.

There are people who can look at a sad situation, and have some sympathy for it. No, I did not know the person, and I will not remember him a year from now. However, I can find it in my heart to think that someone ended a sad and lonely life when things might not have been so bad.

Inmysights - may you learn that your fellow man is more tolerant and more sympathetic than you. Do not judge others by your standards.You decided to make a fairly offensive post deriding people who thought only good thoughts. Who is not showing some respect? (<deleted> is not very respectful in my mind!)

Well put. I'm in the same boat. Never knew the guy and won't remember his name a year from now. But I still feel sorry for his family, a horrible thing to have your children die before you...if that is the case here. And for him, RIP. Sounds like he had a disease of some sorts. Could have been mental. Very sad....

Believe me when I say I am as tolerant/sympathetic as the next man/woman. But these endless RIP posts (maybe he/she's not 'resting in peace', maybe they're reincarnated, floating about in 'heaven', or just plain rotting meat? Depending on one's own take on 'death'?) ,quickly followed by the plethora of ever more prurient speculation regarding someone's demise, were it be anywhere, not only Thailand, regarding a total stranger are distasteful in the extreme. 'I doubt I will remember this ONE year from now ...' Ha! One minute ... thirty seconds?

Do these inane postings make you all feel better? It's no one's business but theirs. So yes, <deleted>.

I get the feeling that the majority of these posters are Sun/Mail readers. Hey Jingthing, how about another 'poll'?:lol:

Well put. I'm in the same boat. Never knew the guy and won't remember his name a year from now. But I still feel sorry for his family, a horrible thing to have your children die before you...if that is the case here. And for him, RIP. Sounds like he had a disease of some sorts. Could have been mental. Very sad....

There you go! :lol:

Sorry, I miss out the "NOT". Thanks for pointing it out.

I sincere apology. It was not intentional.

I wish I could write and read Thai as well as you do English. Unfortunately, I have been too lazy to make the necessary effort, but I remain hopeful that I will change this.

I saw the following on a grave marker in an old cemetery in Delhi, India a couple of years ago and it has stayed with me. The grave marker is over 100 years old and you will see words that are not often used today.....

Gone but not forgotten,

Never shall thy memory fade,

Happy thoughts will always linger,

Round the spot where thou art laid