Question About The Reel Line Combination

robblok

If the max drag on a good reel is 20 kg then why would we need lines over 20 kg breaking strength ok go to 25 kg to have some extra margins. In theory a 25 kg braid would not be able to break on a rod with a good drag (unless it gets locked) I haven't seen reels with more then 20kg drag. So either im missing something or its useless. (ok the drag must be perfect to cope with power explosions of the fish)

Could anyone find some faults in my thinking because i might have missed something.

The problem is most reel drag systems are far from smooth, nor is the drag they are asserting consistent with the claims made, unless your using Shimano Stella or similar ( a 25000BHT + reel). In real terms 80lb briad on a reel such as a shimano baitrunner or similar is a completely imbalanced set up, but its the only way to overcome certain other issues with Thai fishing, like the abrasion lines are subject to when a big fish is pulling line thru a snag, or the inertia of a fast take, or the head shaking of Sawai which can exert far more pressure on the line than the rod and reel ever does.

The problem is most reel drag systems are far from smooth, nor is the drag they are asserting consistent with the claims made, unless your using Shimano Stella or similar ( a 25000BHT + reel). In real terms 80lb briad on a reel such as a shimano baitrunner or similar is a completely imbalanced set up, but its the only way to overcome certain other issues with Thai fishing, like the abrasion lines are subject to when a big fish is pulling line thru a snag, or the inertia of a fast take, or the head shaking of Sawai which can exert far more pressure on the line than the rod and reel ever does.

So i was missing the fact that reels don't preform as advertised. So far i have not had many lines breaking but it happens. Mostly if you want the fish going in too fast and you dont play the fish long enough to tire it out.

I think thats about the truth of it Robblok. One way to test the quality of a drag system is to hold the line and let the reel fall to the floor under its own weight. If you can adjust the drag so that it slowly ticks to the floor, you know your drag is capable of fine adjustments and operating to optimum experience. Most reels (even Shimano models) will only do this when they are virtually brand new, after just a few days use on Mekongs for example the drag washers deteriorate and your left with a far less refined experience. Once the washers have deteriorated even a little, you can do the drag up so tight on a Shimano Baitrunner you could virtually lift a sack of concrete of the the ground! Which is clearly far more than the 8kgs of drag they are suppose to provide.

So i was missing the fact that reels don't preform as advertised. So far i have not had many lines breaking but it happens. Mostly if you want the fish going in too fast and you dont play the fish long enough to tire it out.

Totally agree with you, rufanuf.