Lost Licence Plate

racefan

Apologies if this topic has been posted before. If there is a connecting link please direct me.

Yesterday I took on some flood water in my pickup which turned out to be deeper than I was informed.

I managed to make it through but in the process my front licence plate became detached and is probably now heading downstream towards Cambodia!

I live in Khon Kaen but the licence plate was issued in Bangkok as I bought the truck when it was 2 years old.

I am aware that I need to do a police report which I will try to do today, but I am unsure as to the procedure thereafter.

My wife thinks I will have to make a personal trip to BKK but I am hoping I can get a new plate via our local vehicle registration dept or by post.

Has anybody had a similar experience that can give me some guidance?

Thanks

l am not too sure but we had to get the vehicle changed to where we lived at our local vehicles road tax office also got it changed in the car book and then we got issued with new number plates. That's what we did with my mrs car anyway, maybe you could do the same.

Edited by Kwasaki

I had exactly the same experience except that my car was registered where I live.

Police report first (free)then a visit to local vehicle registration dept with blue book and said report.

It cost a couple of hundred baht which they give a receipt for and it takes about 3 weeks for a brand new license plate to be made which you collect from them.

Meanwhile you keep the receipt in case you get pulled over.

Thanks for the input gents.

It seems several locals suffered from the same problem of lost plates and one guy offered some people 1000 baht to find his plate by trawling up and down with a fishing net.

His plate wasn't found but very luckily mine was pulled out and I was very happy to pay the guys 500 baht for a box of Beer Leo as they were already pretty inebriated.

I had already done the police report and was told that I would have to personally go to Bangkok within 7 days to sort out a new plate.

Can't understand why this cant be done through the local Licensing office or by mail. To expect people to travel hundreds of miles for a new plate is ludicrous but TIT!!!