30 Days Prior For Visa Extension

Lopburi3,

You've said before on this forum that you need to have 60 days of your 90 day visa go by before first applying for a one year extension based on marriage or retirement. Is this rule still in effect, and if so, how strenously enforced (particularly in Chiang Mai) is it, to your knowledge? Also, when the one year extension is granted, is 'day one' of this extension the day you last entered Thailand -- or the day the extension is granted?

When renewing this extension, does this 'no greater than 30 day' rule apply? And when is 'day one' for this renewal?

I haven't yet decided whether or not to extend my 'O' visa, as I currently come to Thailand four times a year in 60 day chunks, and the 'O' visa has worked just fine for that. But I can see situations where the one year extensions could be advantageous. But I can also see scenarios where I would have to leave Thailand 60+ days before the extension expires, and would not be back in time before its expiration. So an enforced '30 days or less' wouldn't work out.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you -- or anyone else -- can offer. Just trying to sort out my options

Jim Gant

As with most things you may be able to sweet talk your way around these 'unwritten rules' (except the 90 day reports - they seem to be very firm with their 7 day rule). The time of last entry is the basis for the extension so it does not give you more time to be on the last day of the 90 day entry. I would drop by immigration on your next trip and talk with them. That is really the only way to know the current requirements that office wants. If you are not going to apply for PR it might be just as well to keep using multi entry visas to avoid any 'unable to travel days' (although they may have a work around for cause).