Through Burma And Coming Out In Ranong

bermondburi

Quite a few years ago ( about 2001 or 2002 ) I spent a bit of time in Burma. Just doing the usual stuff like Rangoon, Mandalay and Bagan. I really enjoyed my time in the country and I found the people to be great. A few years later and I was living in Ranong in Southern Thailand and I would extend my visa over the border in Burma in Victoria Point / Kawtaung.

I have always wanted to work my way down from Rangoon through Burma right to the south and then come back into Thailand in Ranong. It looks pretty interesting on the map with all the islands and everything. I know that you used to be able to get about two thirds of the way down from Rangoon and then you would have to take a plane or a boat the rest of the way as the government didn't want foreigners going through insurgent areas overland.

Has anyone done this journey and if so how did they find it ? Is it worth doing or a waste of time. The reason I'm asking is that I've just been to Cambodia for a while with my wife and kids and now she has decided she wants to try out other countries as well. A Thai wanting to broaden their horizons can't be bad in my opinion so I thought it might make a nice holiday. Cheap as well if it is anything like the last time I was there ( 8-9 glasses of draught for a dollar in Rangoon, I kid you not ) . Any information apreciated.