Pattaya'S Pedistrian Cross Guards

toenail

The pedestians I saw crossing Beach Road this afternoon were crossing within 10 metres of the pelican crossings and made no attempt to walk to them and push the button.

This at eveery light between Mike's Shopping Mall and South Road, even though the distamce between crossings was no more than 100 metres I'd guess.

This is a chicken and egg argument. First of all, its debatable whether the walking buttons work. Second of all, you are asking people to trust that traffic will stop at those crossings? That's asking a lot of people to be human cannon fodder for a weak, non-enforced experiment. More muscle is needed to make this work. Blaming pedestrians for avoiding being killed is just going too far. If the police do get involved, sure ticket BOTH non-compliant vehicles and non-compliant pedestrians, why not? But the vehicles have the power of instant death, pedestrians don't, so the focus needs to be on the lethal vehicles.

Firstly nobody is ever going to know if the butons work if they don't bother to walk 10 metres in order to press them.

Secondly theres' no point in having them if pedestrians don't trust them.

It's not a matter of blaming pedestians for not getting killed, now City Hall has a reason foir blaming pedestians FOR getting killed. "They should have used the crossing, that's what we put them there for"

If they are not used then they can't be enforced.

The fact is though that people don't get mown down crossing at other places because they pay full attention to the traffic. There is far more danger of being killed on a crossing because it gives the illusion of safety. Until there is some enforcement of traffic laws to stop motorists running red lights the situation will not improve. And yes the blame can be placed at City Hall's door because although they may make the rules, they do nothing about making sure that the police enforce them.

Would automated traffic cameras work? Or is there just too many non-registered vehicels driven by non-registered drivers with hidden number plates?

The only thing that helps on this situation is 24/7 strict enforcement to get the locals understanding that red light is Baht to the police. Once the locals start to respect the lights there is less chance of situations like the video where everyone just ignore the lights.

Would automated traffic cameras work? Or is there just too many non-registered vehicels driven by non-registered drivers with hidden number plates?

The only thing that helps on this situation is 24/7 strict enforcement to get the locals understanding that red light is Baht to the police. Once the locals start to respect the lights there is less chance of situations like the video where everyone just ignore the lights.

Right on. I'm amazed the police don't do this to make easy money. There are so many ways they could make money AND make driving more safe. Sorry...was dreaming again...

I'm waiting for the first injury with a foreigner crossing the street, at the crosswalk, with a red light, hit by a speeding AND drunk Thai driver who refused to stop.

Who's fault you think it's going to be? :whistling:

The fact is though that people don't get mown down crossing at other places because they pay full attention to the traffic. There is far more danger of being killed on a crossing because it gives the illusion of safety. Until there is some enforcement of traffic laws to stop motorists running red lights the situation will not improve. And yes the blame can be placed at City Hall's door because although they may make the rules, they do nothing about making sure that the police enforce them.

So why would they switch their brains off crossing the road at lights? They wouldn't do it at home.

I don't think that City hall are responsible for the police enforcement of laws, that's up to the police themselves.

Right on. I'm amazed the police don't do this to make easy money. There are so many ways they could make money AND make driving more safe. Sorry...was dreaming again...

That would just be throwing more good money after bad.

The best solution is the low tech 'lollipop lady' which will create a continuous cycle of jobs for locals as it would be them that get run over and need to be constantly replaced.

42 full time crossing guards (humans) at 6k a month each would run 250k a month, 3 million per year.

that's 40 years of full time employment for 42 people to stand there and actually stop traffic on demand.

at least that way they can see if the crossing project would work or not before dropping 130million up front.

So why would they switch their brains off crossing the road at lights? They wouldn't do it at home.

Guys don't date or marry prostitutes with an 8th grade education at home either. People seem to lose their minds when they touch ground over here. If you ask me, it's just going with the flow of total mindlessness.

I don't think that City hall are responsible for the police enforcement of laws, that's up to the police themselves.

I know where I use to live, California, crosswalks are a big deal. The pedestrian has right of way and cars do stop...well...99% of the time anyway. So if you come here from, say, California, you would be under the "assumption" that cars would actually stop at a red light for pedestrians. A bad assumption here for sure.

42 full time crossing guards (humans) at 6k a month each would run 250k a month, 3 million per year.

that's 40 years of full time employment for 42 people to stand there and actually stop traffic on demand.

at least that way they can see if the crossing project would work or not before dropping 130million up front.

Great recommendation...but none of the poo yai's in town would be able to get their share of this huge pie!

I saw the mayor last night...all the Thai's around me were gossiping about his background...his father in particular. It wasn't good gossip.

(meanwhile, the city police are too busy on the corners giving out tickets to poor cycle drivers instead of ticketing the big guys)

It's easy to give tickets out to motorcycle riders stationary at busy intersections, but how would you issue tickets to an entire traffic stream speeding through a red light?

(meanwhile, the city police are too busy on the corners giving out tickets to poor cycle drivers instead of ticketing the big guys)

It's easy to give tickets out to motorcycle riders stationary at busy intersections, but how would you issue tickets to an entire traffic stream speeding through a red light?

I would start with busses. In the video there is several of these juggernauts not slowing down at all. Give both drivers and bus company fines that hurt enough for them to stop at any red light they see from Bangkok to Rayong. No matter how many pickups and motorbikes go past them.

Once you have buses stopping, go for the next tier. That is minivans, bahtbuses, pickups and SUVs.

With buses and large cars now stopping at red lights the "everyone else go, so I go too" will dissipate. Most motorbikes will slow down because traffic around them slow down. This will make it easier for police to stop the few who completely disregard basic laws.

And if you really want motorbikes to slow down at zebra crossings, add a slight elevation to them. This is done several places in the world with good effect. Of course with moaning from motorists.

I would start with busses. In the video there is several of these juggernauts not slowing down at all. Give both drivers and bus company fines that hurt enough for them to stop at any red light they see from Bangkok to Rayong. No matter how many pickups and motorbikes go past them.

Once you have buses stopping, go for the next tier. That is minivans, bahtbuses, pickups and SUVs.

With buses and large cars now stopping at red lights the "everyone else go, so I go too" will dissipate. Most motorbikes will slow down because traffic around them slow down. This will make it easier for police to stop the few who completely disregard basic laws.

And if you really want motorbikes to slow down at zebra crossings, add a slight elevation to them. This is done several places in the world with good effect. Of course with moaning from motorists.

I was asking you how the police would phsically go about stopping the traffic flow to give out tickets. Make a road block but only give out tickets to some drivers? That wouldn't work.

Anyway, I've never seen a red light ticket given out in 5 years of riding aroud the tourist area.

BTW, I saw traffic stopped at the pedestrian lights twice today on 2nd Road and once on Beach Road. I made a point of stopping at the Beach Road pedestrian crossing and others followed my example except some idiots on motorcycles.