New Airport's Runways Undamaged, Uncracked

george

New airport's runways undamaged, uncracked, says minister

BANGKOK: -- Deep cracks detected at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport, now under construction, are not on runway surfaces but on the slope and do not compromise airport safety standards, said Deputy Transport Minister Gen. Chainant Charoensiri.

Leading a group of journalists to inspect the cracks following press reports late last week that deep cracks had appeared on the airport's two runways, Gen. Chainant explained that the reports are inaccurate.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) vice president Somchai Sawasdiphol told reporters Saturday that the cracks were developed by engineers as a new engineering method to strengthen runways which converge with other runways.

Gen. Chainant said that New Bangkok International Airport (NBIA) would further clarify the engineering issues later.

--TNA 2005-08-07

New airport's runways undamaged, uncracked, says minister 

BANGKOK: --  Deep cracks detected at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport, now under  construction, are not on runway surfaces but on the slope and do not compromise airport safety standards, said Deputy Transport Minister Gen. Chainant Charoensiri.

Leading a group of journalists to inspect the cracks following press reports late last week that deep cracks had appeared on the airport's two runways, Gen. Chainant explained that the reports are inaccurate.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) vice president Somchai Sawasdiphol told reporters Saturday that the cracks were developed by engineers as a new engineering method to strengthen runways which converge with  other runways.

Gen. Chainant said that New Bangkok International Airport (NBIA) would further clarify the engineering issues later.

--TNA 2005-08-07

....Oh Good I can put the Pollyfilla away now :o

Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) vice president Somchai Sawasdiphol told reporters Saturday that the cracks were developed by engineers as a new engineering method to strengthen runways which converge with  other runways.

As we say in the software business: that's not a bug, it's a feature! :o

Boy, I wish I had 5 baht for everytime I've heard someone explain a really bad decision by saying, "but that's the way we wanted it."

I do hope there is a legitimate reason for this one, however. The road where I live was apparently designed with potholes in it!!

He could be talking about expansion joints, which would make perfect sense, especially in such a hot climate. It would prevent the concrete from one runway pushing against the other and buckling it as the longer runway expanded in the heat.

cv

this is true, cv. I remember a bridge construction project I was involved in years ago that taught me about that...We would be metal sort of ´zippers´ between the main higway and the bridge, to allow heat expansion and the opposite, of course, cold contraction.

You know I would almost believe that this would be true of the runways story, but knowing thai politicians, ..............

...........I don´t.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had privately brought in a team of independent aviation experts from the United States to inspect the airport and they reportedly found cracks. Although it was argued these were normal during the construction process, the source said the US team would recommend to the prime minister the two runways in place so far be rebuilt because the construction was sub-standard and likely to be internationally unacceptable.

A team of American experts arrived in Bangkok on Tuesday to examine runways one and two at the new airport. They were brought in because the prime minister wanted the opinions of independent experts. The team, comprising experts from international aviation organisations, inspected the runways at the site yesterday and reached an initial conclusion that clearly-visible cracks at the ''touchdown'' points of both runways, the sections where aircraft landing gear will touch the tarmac, reflect sub-standard construction and need rebuilding.

A source insisted cracks existed but were in different locations to where Deputy Transport Minister Chainant Charoensiri took reporters on Thursday.

:o:D

As we say in the software business: that's not a bug, it's a feature! :D

an undocumented feature. :D:o

Expansion joints are quite normal on large concrete pours, and are even cut in after the pour with diamond concrete saws, and then "caulked" with a flexible waterproof compound. The photos I have seen of the runways bear no resemblance to expansion joints what so ever :o Just another case of sub standard work unfortunately, or fortunately in this case, being found out before the runways went into service.

Wasn't the contract for concrete awarded to one of the subsidury companies of the "Head Waiter"?? :D I wonder which laboratory has the sample cores from the pour. :D

After being informed by the imported experts that the runway is not safe, Thaksin has said he STILL plans to be on the first plane to land next month on the soft opening September 29, even though the "actual" opening is not until 2006.... or whenever.

Let's hold our collective breaths while the vintage plane he's flying in lands on the cracked runway.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

cracks.jpg

Cracking at the edges, Deputy Transport Minister Chaiyanan Charoensiri

Nice looking "engineered cracks" in the runway - opps sorry on the edges - opps sorry again this has nothing to do with the airport.

Is anyone really surprised - just looks like another road project where a major proportion of the budget went into someone new resort or similar built on national park land which we just happen to have the land title for :o

Came across this better quality photo and now I fully understand these words from the OP:

Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) vice president Somchai Sawasdiphol told reporters Saturday that the cracks were developed by engineers as a new engineering method to strengthen runways which converge with other runways.

runway.jpg

yep... certainly LOOKS like a new engineering method to strengthen the runways......

:o:D:D

I really hope that PM Thaksin will heed the warnings of his own independent overseas experts and make sure the relevant sections are rebuilt as recommended.

This is not the time to try a temporary make-do - the reputation of the country is not in a position where it can take any more battering - if word of sub-standard construction gets around internationally, I am pretty sure tourists will take note and adjust travel and holiday plans accordingly.

The clearer photo posted by Sri Racha John makes it obvious that someone thinks they are pulling the wool over our eyes...a new engineering method...who is he trying to kid?

A construction fault is one thing - it can happen anywhere - but to ignore it, or worse, to try a cover-up, is verging on criminal as it involves aircraft safety, and that means human lives.

I hope the minister will see that although there is perhaps the likelihood of a loss of face in some ways, how much worse would it be if an aircraft crashes as a result of substandard work by a contractor - what if the ones on that aircraft are your family - loss of face pales into insignificance!

All that is needed is an instruction to bring the work up to standard, and to take responsibility for ensuring it complies with international regulations - the alternative may simply be a refusal by the international airlines to land there - expensive and a HUGE loss of face - and this outcome is much more likely than a crash - in fact almost a certainty if real problems are detected.

If our minister has the problem fixed, and addresses the issue of poor standards properly, he will actually GAIN in the eyes of the people - I hope that this is the final outcome - Thailand, the people, AND the Minister ALL gain merit as a result.

Minister ... "well that's what happens - when you build a runway across an earthquake fault-line, so it is obviously not a construction-fault, but all down to the tsunami"

Plan B ... "and here you see construction has already started, on the new trench, to put in a link from the underground-railway system out to the new airport"

Plan C ... "and standard approach-instructions, for operating into the new airport, will include strict penalties for any pilot who lands on this part of the runway"

Has anyone else got any wise-cracks on the subject ? :o

The clearer photo posted by Sri Racha John makes it obvious that someone thinks they are pulling the wool over our eyes...a new engineering method...who is he trying to kid?

A construction fault is one thing - it can happen anywhere - but to ignore it, or worse, to try a cover-up, is verging on criminal as it involves aircraft safety, and that means human lives.

I hope the minister will see that although there is perhaps the likelihood of a loss of face in some ways, how much worse would it be if an aircraft crashes as a result of substandard work by a contractor - what if the ones on that aircraft are your family - loss of face pales into insignificance!

Notice any similarity between this denial and the denial and cover-up of the first outbreak of bird flu in Thailand when Thaksin reassured the world community that it was "cholera" killing the thousands of poultry?

In order to save economic face, the government withheld important data (some would say outright lied to WHO) that ultimately ended up with a couple of dozen people dying... perhaps unnecessarily.

Have they learned anything from that fiasco?.... Given this unravelling story, it appears not.

Excellent photo, thanks for that, Sriracha John

Caption "Gimme a Break" :D

But seriously - can you imagine what this will do, even if it doesn't get any worse, to the tyres of 500-tonne aircraft travelling at 150 mph ? Or even just taxi-ing across the thing ! Scary just isn't the word.

God help us all :o

Well in this mornings Bangkok Post, Thaksin is in denial. He says that the cracks are on the road and not on the runway.

"I confirm that there is not a problem at all. Everything is fine . Belive me. If there is something, I will tellyou. Don't worry that our nation is that bad or under developed. There's nothing. Don't worry . Be calm. I will see to it well. It is about tne national reputation," he said.

Well I think that the above speaks for itself!

PM THAKSIN SAYS THE CONSTRUCTION OF SUVANABHUMI AIRPORT WILL NOT FACE PROBLEMS

The Prime Minister has expressed confidence that the construction of SUVARNABHUMI (สุวรรณภูมิ) Airport will not face any difficulties.

Prime Minister THAKSIN SHINAWATRA spoke on the fracture on the airport’s runway, saying it is a construction technique. The fracture has sparked public concerns that the runway, which will link two airport routes, may enlarge due to heat. However, the Prime Minister insisted that the construction of the new airport will be completed without any problems. He said the personnel who are working on this matter have to clarify the situation, to create better understanding among the general public.

Prime Minister THAKSIN also stated that he is prepared for members of the Opposition to inspect the construction of SUVARNABHUMI Airport.

Source: thaisnews.com

Well in this mornings Bangkok Post, Thaksin is in denial. He says that the cracks are on the road and not on the runway.

"I confirm that there is not a problem at all. Everything is fine . Belive me. If there is something, I will tellyou. Don't worry that our nation is that bad or under developed. There's nothing. Don't worry . Be calm. I will see to it well. It is about tne national reputation," he said.

Well I think that the above speaks for itself!

I'd swear those were the same direct quotes from the aforementioned bird flu (errr.. I mean "cholera") outbreak at it's beginning. :D:D

If you deny and lie enough... it all seems to run together. :o