Taking Bike To Cambodia

smedly

Assuming I have a registered bike with green book etc and wanted to take a trip into cambodia can anyone see any issues, what are the roads like etc, was concidering going to Chanthaburi and going across near there and heading to Sihanoukville, is there a border crossing south of Trat instead of the usual one that visa companies use further North Sa Kaeo ??any help appriciated

I see there's a crossing at Hat Lek

Anyone any experience of the roads and stuff once over the border, is it safe enough to drive there, what about accomodation etc, just wanted some idea of what to expect if I decide to go for a trip

Edited by smedly

Sounds like a good run One I would like to make myself and would be interested in the replies. I vaguely remember this was a topic a fair while ago and think the advice was it couldnt be done.

Edited by waza

Sounds like a good run One I would like to make myself and would be interested in the replies. I vaguely remember this was a topic a fair while ago and think the advice was it couldnt be done.

couldn't be done ? not sure what you mean, as i understand as long as you have the grren book and you are the registered owner then taking a car or bike across the border isn't a problem, this is why i am asking here first

I am considering travelling alone or if anyones up for the trip not a problem either.

couldn't be done ? not sure what you mean, as i understand as long as you have the grren book and you are the registered owner then taking a car or bike across the border isn't a problem, this is why i am asking here first

I am considering travelling alone or if anyones up for the trip not a problem either.

Sorry, like I said I cant remember the details of the topic, but I seem to recall the consensus was that the bike wouldnt be allowed in Cambodia. Again I could be completely wrong or the information was wrong. I tried to research that matter but couldnt find any details.

There was a thread about cars that seemed to conclude that you could not get insurance in Thailand or Cambodia to drive on the roads. You will also probably be strictly illegal as you will not get license coverage, but a Cambodia falang website said not worry about that - no expat in Cambodia has one either. So it's probably the case that it depends on how much risk you want to take about losing your bike to theft or damage.

Roads in Cambodia are generally ok to/from the major borders and between major towns, even in the wet season now. I have been to Sihanoukville by bus but from PP, not from the Trat direction. The roads are full of hazards - a bit like a concentrated Issaan drive, but I would risk it if I were a biker and was experienced enough to drive defensively.

The comment about not previously being able to do it was probably because there was no road crossing down in South Eastern seaboard until 2 or 3 years ago. You had to go by boat along the coast (but I thought it was a ferry).

If TV allows this reference to other non-Thai websites, then you could register and post on Khmer 440 website and ask a specific question about your route

Why would you want to go anyway. The country is lousy, the beer is expensive and the girls are crappy, not at all like girls in Pattaya used to be 15 years ago (so I'm told). Oh sh$t I've given the game away!

There was a thread about cars that seemed to conclude that you could not get insurance in Thailand or Cambodia to drive on the roads. You will also probably be strictly illegal as you will not get license coverage, but a Cambodia falang website said not worry about that - no expat in Cambodia has one either. So it's probably the case that it depends on how much risk you want to take about losing your bike to theft or damage.

Insurance is available for purchase at the border.

Valid Thai drivers license if recognized in all ASEAN countries.

To the OP- bunch of the SSR boys did a run to Sihanoukville about a year ago and had a blast. Sanook-ville they call it. :lol: I was bummed I couldn't get away and join them at the time. If you want some company let me know when you're thinking of going and if the timing works I'd like to join you.

Ride On!

Tony

To the OP- bunch of the SSR boys did a run to Sihanoukville about a year ago and had a blast. Sanook-ville they call it. :lol: I was bummed I couldn't get away and join them at the time. If you want some company let me know when you're thinking of going and if the timing works I'd like to join you.

Ride On!

Tony

will do tony and thanks for the info, I guess all being well I am looking at going somewhere around the week of the 23rd Nov, I have no commitments so my time is pretty flexible, would rather travel with company than alone, if you like you can PM some dates that may suit you and we can go from there, and of course anyone else interested give me a shout

cheers

Edited by smedly

Dear Secret Soi rider

Are you sure that the Thai driving and riding license are valid in Cambodia.

DOn't we have to go to the land and transportation department to transform this thai license into an international drving license ,do we ?

Waiting for your reply

Best regards

Sylvain

Ride On!

Tony

NIP INTO A BOOKSHOP AND LOOK FOR THE lONELY pLANET cAMBODIA GUIDE (sorry - cap lockitis). Mine is out of date by three years, its late and I'm too lazy to go get it out of the cupboard again, but I'm pretty sure that is where I got the 'license difficult but nobody cares anyway' info from. Or ask on the expat Cambodia website - khmer440.

Edited by SantiSuk

"Why would you want to go anyway. The country is lousy, the beer is expensive and the girls are crappy, not at all like girls in Pattaya used to be 15 years ago (so I'm told). Oh sh$t I've given the game away! "

LOL Cambo is seeensational. keep it a secret or every dick dick and harry will push the price up. Thank goodness the Japanese don't know shhhh

;)

I read an articel about some norwegians that went on a bike trip in cambodia, and it looks interesting. I would not have bothered with the thai drivinglisence, because almost no-one have a license to drive bike anywhay, they just do it. I don't think your bikes will be insured when driving, and I remember something about allways having around 2000$ with you in the group, because that was the going raite if you killed someone in traffic. and also be sure to have lock-tite on all the bolts on your bike, because the roads are normally not good, and also some main spare-parts if something goes wrong. You probably can get spars in phnom phenn (there are some big bike shops there), but on the countryside, there is nothing.

You will get a lot of tickets, that for sure (one thing is that you are farang, a nother ting is thats the way the police get income). There is no rules in the cambodian traffic, so be super defencive when driving in phnom phenn. On the countryside, there is almost no traffic at all. Same problem in the countryside cambodia than in thailand, no one speak inglish. And also be award of drunk drivers (seen many bussdrivers drinking while they drive the bus). You will get ticket for driving with lights on at day, but you don't get ticket for driving with out lights at night.

Also, I think there are som paipers that have to be fixt befor you go regarding the bordercrossing, fix that at and the visa in bkk if possible. They allways overcharge you at the border (visa is 20 dollar, they charge you 1200 baht).

And if you have something that could get stolen on the bike/don't live it on the bike, because it will get stolen.

Going to do the trip from Trat to Phnom phenn on a honda click next year (my girlfriend whant to import it to cambodia befor she goes norway next year), looking forward to that trip.

And always have small money on you to pay fne/tea-money to the cops.

Find a place to stay befor sun goes down, countryside normally dont have electrisity.

Sorry for my poor english