Fastest Internet

BlueEasySleep

OK, thanks Woody. Since there was discussion of 3BB being a 'cable' service (which suggests one using infrastructure similar to cable TV and requiring a cable modem, as opposed to the DSL telephone network infrastructure), I had assumed that it was just that.

Yeah, there's a lot of misinformation floating around! It's easy to get confused.

As best I can tell, all of the Cable TV operators in Phuket that provide Internet service do so through CAT.

3BB used to be TT&T. It's complicated, but TT&T is going through bankruptcy procedures. A huge company called Jasmine bought most of the TT&T stock. Jasmine then started a subsidiary called 3BB. They then transferred all of the TT&T ADSL physical plant and employees over to the new company, 3BB. Some people theorize that the move was made to protect the ADSL assets from TT&T creditors, who have status before the bankruptcy court.

Bottom line: 3BB offers ADSL over twisted copper pair, generally telephone lines that were once owned by TT&T. The Cable TV companies offer Internet over their own cables.

Woody, sorry to interrupt. You have the experince. what is best wireless in Kamala?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woody, sorry to interrupt. You have the experince. what is best wireless in Kamala?

Thanks

Eje -

Sorry this took so long. I've been swamped.

There are only two choices for wireless anywhere on the island. (I'm not considering GPRS/EDGE which is horribly slow.)

If you're going to use the connection exclusively on the west coast between Nai Harn and the Airport, you might want to try HSPA (so-called "3G") service from True or DTAC. I've had very good results with True HSPA in both Patong and Cherng Talay. No idea how well it'll work in Kamala.

The second choice is CAT's EV-DO. It's reasonably fast, almost everywhere. (But note that I've seen problems reported in Kamala.)

Best way to make a decision is to either drop by one of the Sunday morning Computer Clinics and/or keep an eye on the speeds people are reporting on www.phuketinternetspeed.com

from start I had the 600 baht 6mbit 3bb package and it was crap... sometimes fast sometimes very slow. Torrents worked, but the speed was jumping from nothing to full blast all the time. Skype didnt work very well and certainly not my SIP-line.

Now I am on the 3bb 5mbit premier package and I must say it's really good. Stable pings throughout the world and always full speed when downloading torrents. My SIP is working perfectly against pbxes.org. I havn't noticed any quality loss at all. Skype and ventrilo is great too. Also tried to log my wow acc in europe to check how that works, and it's actually not that bad. I'm at least able to do questing and check out the new areas. I can't imagine raiding is an option though with 450ms ping. =)

I live in Kata. Typical ping to europe is 450ms, no loss at all.

I am using Patong Cable service right now. Tried it for a few months down at Nanai 2 and decided it was good enough to order a second service for our Nanai 9 place. Can't complain too much although speed is up and down depending on time of day. Not bad for 499 Baht/month.

1055130465.png

Is Nanai 9 the soi where the Seeka hotel is, the soi used to be called Nanairumchai?

The second choice is CAT's EV-DO. It's reasonably fast, almost everywhere. (But note that I've seen problems reported in Kamala.)

Best way to make a decision is to either drop by one of the Sunday morning Computer Clinics and/or keep an eye on the speeds people are reporting on www.phuketinternetspeed.com

Could someone tell me what going through a VPN does to your speed normally. I'm guessing it slows it down but how badly?

Also, if you wanted the EV-DO as an emergency back up, would that be fast enough to go through a VPN and still be workable?

Could someone tell me what going through a VPN does to your speed normally. I'm guessing it slows it down but how badly?

Also, if you wanted the EV-DO as an emergency back up, would that be fast enough to go through a VPN and still be workable?

I use VPN all the time. I've posted a bunch of speeds on www.phuketinternetspeed.com as have a couple of other folks. The bottom line is that it depends on the VPN more than on how fast your line in Thailand is working.

Many people report problems getting VPN to work over an EV-DO line. It looks like CAT is actively blocking VPN on EV-DO. If you're really interested, email me and I'll set you up with a guy who's figured out how to bypass the block.

I use VPN all the time. I've posted a bunch of speeds on www.phuketinternetspeed.com as have a couple of other folks. The bottom line is that it depends on the VPN more than on how fast your line in Thailand is working.

Many people report problems getting VPN to work over an EV-DO line. It looks like CAT is actively blocking VPN on EV-DO. If you're really interested, email me and I'll set you up with a guy who's figured out how to bypass the block.

Thanks mate, I'll bare that in mind. I definitely need to get myself a back up system set up, and it will need to be through a VPN.

Eje -

Sorry this took so long. I've been swamped.

There are only two choices for wireless anywhere on the island. (I'm not considering GPRS/EDGE which is horribly slow.)

If you're going to use the connection exclusively on the west coast between Nai Harn and the Airport, you might want to try HSPA (so-called "3G") service from True or DTAC. I've had very good results with True HSPA in both Patong and Cherng Talay. No idea how well it'll work in Kamala.

A little off topic. I was going to PM you but thought others may also be interested.

I have seen your computer clinics advertised for sometime now. I have never been to one. What takes place at these computer clinics? Is it for people with computer problems, or is it to learn more about how to use your computer?

A little off topic. I was going to PM you but thought others may also be interested.

I have seen your computer clinics advertised for sometime now. I have never been to one. What takes place at these computer clinics? Is it for people with computer problems, or is it to learn more about how to use your computer?

It is basically an open forum for novices & geeks alike to ask, discuss, get the latest news updates, about all things related to both hardware, software, internet, ISPs etc

I have recently obtained a VPN account through a UK company. I have been very disappointed with the speed, much much less than I had hoped, and less than testing with my local internet provider.

Edit// after playing about with various speed testers I can now see that using VPN with these testers can be a problem.

after playing about with various speed testers I can now see that using VPN with these testers can be a problem.

What do you mean by that. Do you think the testers are reporting worse speeds than you are actually getting? Or are the results so inconsistent, it's hard to know one way or the other?

in less than 2 weeks i am going to have to make a choice

TOT or 3BB

Reading this topic does not give me a 100% i-made-my-choice kind of feeling :P

For 5 months i have been using TOT in Phuket Town, and not a single day a connection cut. It always worked

For 5 months i have been downloading day/night, from Torrents ( love watching movies) to music files to.... whatever . Average download each month about 100GB

Now, i am going to move close to my orginal location where 3BB is available, but im a bit afraid they will not like me as one of their customers due to my download-behaviour.

Does anyone here download 24/7 without any consequences? :)

Edited by Yaroon79

in less than 2 weeks i am going to have to make a choice

TOT or 3BB

Reading this topic does not give me a 100% i-made-my-choice kind of feeling :P

For 5 months i have been using TOT in Phuket Town, and not a single day a connection cut. It always worked

For 5 months i have been downloading day/night, from Torrents ( love watching movies) to music files to.... whatever . Average download each month about 100GB

Now, i am going to move close to my orginal location where 3BB is available, but im a bit afraid they will not like me as one of their customers due to my download-behaviour.

If it aint broke, don't fix it! Seems like you're OK where you are, why rock the boat.

Is Nanai 9 the soi where the Seeka hotel is, the soi used to be called Nanairumchai?

No. It's the Soi with the Sun Hill & Club Bamboo.

Ok thanks for the reply i am in the soi with the seeka hotel and i am looking to get tel/internet to the house just need to find out the nearest isp at the moment surrounded by new builds when i build my house 5 years i was on my own that is why i have no telephone line to the house.

after playing about with various speed testers I can now see that using VPN with these testers can be a problem.

What do you mean by that. Do you think the testers are reporting worse speeds than you are actually getting? Or are the results so inconsistent, it's hard to know one way or the other?

The results are worse and very inconsistant. Sometimes (really most times) the test stalls.

If it aint broke, don't fix it! Seems like you're OK where you are, why rock the boat.

I would be surprised - shocked - if anybody's tracking data usage, much less reporting to other ISPs how much data individuals are downloading.

Torrent blocking doesn't seem to be associated with volume. It seems to be associated with the connection type. In other words, I don't think any of the ISPs go after individuals with high bandwidth usage. I think they just put out a blanket block of specific ports. That would explain why some programs get blocked and others don't.

Since this thread concerns fast internet, I wonder if anyone can recommend a fast internet cafe or similar in Phuket? By fast, I mean fast upload - I've got something like 100Gigs of files that I need to upload :(

Or would I have to travel further afield?

South Korea is one possibility.

I would be surprised - shocked - if anybody's tracking data usage, much less reporting to other ISPs how much data individuals are downloading.

Torrent blocking doesn't seem to be associated with volume. It seems to be associated with the connection type. In other words, I don't think any of the ISPs go after individuals with high bandwidth usage. I think they just put out a blanket block of specific ports. That would explain why some programs get blocked and others don't.

Im sure there are ISP's tracking usage data as most lines are not dedicated but shared. They have simple software which registers it all nicely and they will look into it when they feel the need to do so.

The ISP also has to pay for the bandwidth as far as i know, and when there are complains from other subscribers they also check out whats happening on their network as it is a shared system ( This is my experience of using 10 years internet while i was living in India/Bangladesh, this was how they operate their business, but then again it might be different here...so i might be very wrong)

I decided to go ahead with 3BB as the TOT line requires a phone line (and requires some action from the landlord). Eventhough TOT never has let me down, i just want to see how things are with 3BB. Always possible to change to TOT if i want :)

Question: how much time between signing up for 3BB service and the day they come and install it?

Im sure there are ISP's tracking usage data as most lines are not dedicated but shared. They have simple software which registers it all nicely and they will look into it when they feel the need to do so.

The ISP also has to pay for the bandwidth as far as i know, and when there are complains from other subscribers they also check out whats happening on their network as it is a shared system ( This is my experience of using 10 years internet while i was living in India/Bangladesh, this was how they operate their business, but then again it might be different here...so i might be very wrong)

I decided to go ahead with 3BB as the TOT line requires a phone line (and requires some action from the landlord). Eventhough TOT never has let me down, i just want to see how things are with 3BB. Always possible to change to TOT if i want :)

Question: how much time between signing up for 3BB service and the day they come and install it?

I am sure 3BB will also require a phone line. CAT does not.

Since this thread concerns fast internet, I wonder if anyone can recommend a fast internet cafe or similar in Phuket? By fast, I mean fast upload - I've got something like 100Gigs of files that I need to upload :(

Or would I have to travel further afield?

South Korea is one possibility.

Indeed it is, as with Japan their government have spent billions on high-speed broadband as a national prestige project, which I am all in favour of.

Unfortunately, it would be time consuming and expensive, a bit of looking around for flights revealed:

10000 baht Phuket to Hong Kong return

5000 baht Phuket to Singapore return

17500 baht Phuket to BKK to Seoul return

17500 baht Phuket to BKK to Tokyo return

Is there anywhere in Phuket (or Thailand, or Singapore) that I could do this?

If I could find an Internet cafe that was good enough in Phuket, I could probably persuade the owner to let me upload files over the course of a few days, in exchange for a couple of thousand baht of course.

All suggestions welcome!

I am sure 3BB will also require a phone line. CAT does not.

It's a matter of semantics.

3BB delivers ADSL over twisted copper line - plain old telephone line. So in order to have 3BB service, 3BB will have to install a telephone line.

However.... the telephone line 3BB installs wouldn't be used for voice. There's no telephone number. You can't plug a telephone into the line and get it to work.

Is there anywhere in Phuket (or Thailand, or Singapore) that I could do this?

If I could find an Internet cafe that was good enough in Phuket, I could probably persuade the owner to let me upload files over the course of a few days, in exchange for a couple of thousand baht of course.

All suggestions welcome!

You're certainly welcome to bring your laptop to any of the Sandwich Shoppes and use our lines. Looking at the recent speed reports, the fastest shop for uploads is the one in Patong. It's getting 0.5 Mbps when there's very little contention on the line.

That isn't fast enough to get 100 GB uploaded in a month. But you might try running a test one night and see how much you can get uploaded. No charge, of course.

It'd be interesting to see if you can get sustained upload speeds using, say, FTP that clock faster than the speed test results.

Shoot me mail if you're interested, and I'll warn the staff that you're coming...

Edited by LivinginKata
email address not allowed as per forum rules

It varies all over the place. I know people who were told "next week" and the guy shows up the next day. Contrariwise, I know people who were told "next month" - and that was six months ago.