What You Have Done For Thailand?

skyaslimit

From the Mazda text.

Mazda in Japan donated a total of 18 million baht for a school building at Rajaprachanukrau School; under the Royal Patronage of H.M. the King after the school was badly turned to dust from a tsunami attack.

" Activate the Tsunamian Death Ray and destroy the puny earthlings "

"Yes My Lord. Commence countdown. 5...4...3.."

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Other than what I spend monthly on living and traveling expenses nothing. I am a "tourist" on a TR.

When and if I do apply for extension or O-A I plan on doing even less.

I don't know why foreigners contribute often wads of money, hard earned while the elite of this nation could care less about the poor and disenfranchised. Better they give it back to the nations from where their "wealth" was derived.

As many people on TV, plenty of Thai's around us/me that we could give until we were broke. Families first.

Whenever I see any farang giving money or time I am always struck in my mind by a number of images:

Some overweight immigration officer hassling me over some petty nonsense

The absolutely insane number of bureaucrats in this nation

All the Mercedes in BKK

New, ugly and expensive airport

The PAD sit in at the airport

Bangkok burning, an annual event now. A clarion call from the poor to the elite

The arrogance coming out of the ministries

The absolute lack of interest Thailand has in educating its population

The high number Thailand ALWAYS rates on the world corruption stage

How I am indirectly made to feel unwelcome and unwanted through the media, ministry pronouncements and haphazard immigration policy.

So - what have you given and done. Just so I can have a laugh....

In time, I see myself and my girlfriend spending six months a year here. We will chase the cool weather throughout Asia and stay in US for a few months. Thailand - so yesterday....

Complains.......Complains............Complains

No contribution

I pay 1,500 baht tax every month.

Now walk up to the end of your soi and back while your at it ask all those motorbike drivers and food sellers just how much tax they are paying, my guess would be a big fat nothing.

1500 bhats......?

But u r making about 30ks. against that so....................:o where is the contribution dude?

A contribution is voluntary; Taxes are not voluntary... Everyone whether in Thailand or elsewhere is expected to support one's own family in exchange for what ever benefits you receive for such family association ... You can also say that your presence in Thailand is supporting the rubber tree growers.

Conversely: Those who never did 'good things' at home are likely not to be bothered to do 'good things' here.

I do agree with that

:rolleyes:

I suspect like many people who will respond here, I didn't do what I did for Thailand, but for my personal reasons. In my case in 1980 I met a Thai woman who had been married before that had 3 children by her first husband, who then proceeded to run away from her leaving her with no money. Well, I fell in love with her, and 30 years later we are still together. I supported the family, fed and sent the kids to school, and bought a house in Bangkok for her where we all now live, and where I will be spending my retirement.

I would be lieing to say I did it for Thailand, but all three kids now have jobs, and the daughter has a grand daughter who is now in school. So at least I can claim they are all productive Thai citizens...and with another generation yet ahead on the way.

I never did it for Thailand, I did it for love and what I thought was my duty. I won't say it's been perfect, but the kids still call me daddy, and and that woman and I are still together after 30 years. Like the old joke goes, after that long I guess I'll keep her.

In the end, what else can you really ask for, anyhow?

:thumbsup:

A contribution is voluntary; Taxes are not voluntary... Everyone whether in Thailand or elsewhere is expected to support one's own family in exchange for what ever benefits you receive for such family association ... You can also say that your presence in Thailand is supporting the rubber tree growers.

Conversely: Those who never did 'good things' at home are likely not to be bothered to do 'good things' here.

A "contribution" can also be an "unwilling contribution" and in many part of the world taxes are in fact more of a personal choice than anything else and yes, i am contributing in supporting the rubber tree growers as well and i am always doing it with a great pleasure :D

:clap2:

You do realize that there is nothing you can LEGALLY do without a work permit?? .

A lot of people use that as an excuse I guess....

Don't think so. THEIR law is there so a visa holder can do nothing work wise cos a Thai should be doing it. When l paint my house or cut the grass l am always looking over my shoulder cos a Thai should be doing it.

Am l right in saying foreign rescue workers who came to help after the Seunami had problems because didn't have a paper with a rubber stamp on it.;)

THEIR law is the law which u have to abide if u r residing HERE.

My wife Thai, I UK , we have two girls.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to :-

Become an accepted member of her ( large ) family.

Set her parents up in business by purchasing a shop house ( in my wifes name ), and stocked it out so they have their own form of income.

Taking everyone on holiday to the seaside when we get chance, some of the family had never seen the sea before.

Taking part in community events, usually centred around the Wat, including the building of a statue.

Providing for some great get togethers without need to worry about how much it costs.

Throwing a big party when the youngest boy became a monk....this was in the state of emergency earlier this year.

Bringing my MIL to Singapore , first time on an areoplane and outside Thailand.

Taking my 18 year old brother in law to Sepang to witness Valentino Rossi win the 2009 MotoGP championship.

Giving my folks a pickup, the first they have ever had.

Giving my neighbours presents when returning to Thailand and receiving their gifts also. They look after our house.

Lastly, which makes me feel proud, being 100% faithfull to my beautiful wife. Not much to do with Thailand but makes me happy all the same.

For me, well, I sit back and feel the love. Thats all I wish for :D

Edited by soihok

I suspect like many people who will respond here, I didn't do what I did for Thailand, but for my personal reasons. In my case in 1980 I met a Thai woman who had been married before that had 3 children by her first husband, who then proceeded to run away from her leaving her with no money. Well, I fell in love with her, and 30 years later we are still together. I supported the family, fed and sent the kids to school, and bought a house in Bangkok for her where we all now live, and where I will be spending my retirement.

I would be lieing to say I did it for Thailand, but all three kids now have jobs, and the daughter has a grand daughter who is now in school. So at least I can claim they are all productive Thai citizens...and with another generation yet ahead on the way.

I never did it for Thailand, I did it for love and what I thought was my duty. I won't say it's been perfect, but the kids still call me daddy, and and that woman and I are still together after 30 years. Like the old joke goes, after that long I guess I'll keep her.

In the end, what else can you really ask for, anyhow?

:thumbsup:

Agree.

That really is a top post mate :D:D:D

Edited by soihok

My wife Thai, I UK , we have two girls.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to :-

Become an accepted member of her ( large ) family.

Set her parents up in business by purchasing a shop house ( in my wifes name ), and stocked it out so they have their own form of income.

Taking everyone on holiday to the seaside when we get chance, some of the family had never seen the sea before.

Taking part in community events, usually centred around the Wat, including the building of a statue.

Providing for some great get togethers without need to worry about how much it costs.

Throwing a big party when the youngest boy became a monk....this was in the state of emergency earlier this year.

Bringing my MIL to Singapore , first time on an areoplane and outside Thailand.

Taking my 18 year old brother in law to Sepang to witness Valentino Rossi win the 2009 MotoGP championship.

Giving my folks a pickup, the first they have ever had.

Giving my neighbours presents when returning to Thailand and receiving their gifts also. They look after our house.

For me, well, I sit back and feel the love. Thats all I wish for :D

Keep that spirit alive dude...........

But u can do more

Thumbs up.

Cheers.

How about this.

Purchased 17 rai of farm land so my wifes aunt can provide for Grandpa ( not joking).

I would like to build a roller coaster or stock car racing track on it but I dont think it would provide the same level of support.

I may consider a speedway track but it is a bit remote, meaning chilis will grow all over it anyway.

Represented Thailand in my daughters school with her in Singapore, rather than the UK. In a Farang kind of way.

Given in loads of times to having a can of Chang with the Pu Yai Bhan at 7 in the morning.

Contributed to the highway police when ever required to do so :whistling:

How about yourself?

Not pointed out that we don't live in Thailand at the moment.

But.

The community is the family afterall, depending where your family are at.

City life ......forget it.......village life, ah yes, thats more like it :D

Cheers.

How about this.

Purchased 17 rai of farm land so my wifes aunt can provide for Grandpa ( not joking).

I would like to build a roller coaster or stock car racing track on it but I dont think it would provide the same level of support.

I may consider a speedway track but it is a bit remote, meaning chilis will grow all over it anyway.

Represented Thailand in my daughters school with her in Singapore, rather than the UK. In a Farang kind of way.

Given in loads of times to having a can of Chang with the Pu Yai Bhan at 7 in the morning.

Contributed to the highway police when ever required to do so :whistling:

How about yourself?

Not as much as u have done for the grand pa........... but

are u aware of....

Samnakgan Tulakgan Iakgan Soong suth

OR

Samnkgan Tamrut Henchart

I try to spare myself if I am needed.

If you wish to reply in Thai, please do so in Thai.

:)

That was my roman but..

try to translate it in ur languge that will be interesting.

Oh yes , a troll you are :(

Shame on you

Edited by soihok

Composite quote: Thailand has given me nothing so I and my Thai Girlfriend will be spending our time and money elsewhere.

I personally observed that many Thai will families will on the occasion of a family member's birthday sponsor the Sunday lunch for the kids in that person's honor at the school for the blind -- that I would say is a contribution to the family AND to the community.

Edited by jazzbo

When l paint my house or cut the grass l am always looking over my shoulder cos a Thai should be doing it.

Are you sure about it? i am under the impression that as long as you are doing it in your own property, then you are fine, but if you are conducting some sort of industrial operation in your own backyard then things are different....

Am l right in saying foreign rescue workers who came to help after the Seunami had problems because didn't have a paper with a rubber stamp on it.;)

Yes you are complitely right, they have officially been treathed with an immediate arrest by government big brass if they wouldn't stop helping the victims of the Tsunami, however the police colonel that was in charge of safeguarding all the donation been sent to help, had no problem at all in disappearing with the 30 million baht and as far as i know he's still at large......

Like I said...a lot of people use it as an excuse....no neeed for excuses...just dont do it if you do not want to.

There is plenty you could do if you really wanted to.

Is this a clear invitation to do illegal things which lead to a prison sentence or i am reading it wrong? you are not that guy that clean the beaches around asking other foreigners to join him, aren't you? To be unwilling to commit a crime which take you straight to jail doesn't look like an excuse to me, better you move your efforts to target the real cause of this situation my friendo....

So ... As per #121 the big cheese looted the tsunami victims fund ... I guess that means next tsunami or flood they should just be on their own.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 The state of Ohio is doing the public a service by following the money behind the U.S. Navy Veterans Association, a Tampa-based charity whose

founder is being sought on corruption, theft and money laundering charges. Now Ohio investigators have unearthed evidence of fraudulent donations to political campaigns.

The group had its base in Ybor City (FL), where under the state's somnolent watch, it raised a reported $99.6 million since 2002...

http://www.tampabay....icle1133115.ece

So ... next time they need help, screw the Navy veterans.

Like I said...a lot of people use it as an excuse....no neeed for excuses...just dont do it if you do not want to.

There is plenty you could do if you really wanted to.

Is this a clear invitation to do illegal things which lead to a prison sentence or i am reading it wrong? you are not that guy that clean the beaches around asking other foreigners to join him, aren't you? To be unwilling to commit a crime which take you straight to jail doesn't look like an excuse to me, better you move your efforts to target the real cause of this situation my friendo....

Funny how many of you will gladly.....sidestep....the laws when it suits you....not wear a helmet maybe...pay a copper 100baht for something little bit not ok....but then when it involves something that you might feel a little guilty about, you throw in the 'illegal' towel.

Like I said...no need for excuses to make yourself feel better.....just don't do anything....lots of people do nothing and that is fine...just do it if you want, do not if you want.....but don't make piss poor excuses to rest your heads upon.