What You Have Done For Thailand?

skyaslimit

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny how many of you will gladly.....sidestep....the laws when it suits you....not wear a helmet maybe...pay a copper 100baht for something little bit not ok....but then when it involves something that you might feel a little guilty about, you throw in the 'illegal' towel.

Like I said...no need for excuses to make yourself feel better.....just don't do anything....lots of people do nothing and that is fine...just do it if you want, do not if you want.....but don't make piss poor excuses to rest your heads upon.

I guess your next suggestion will be doing a bank robbery or so, who cares about consequencies or the law uh? :D

Funny how many of you will gladly.....sidestep....the laws when it suits you....not wear a helmet maybe...pay a copper 100baht for something little bit not ok....but then when it involves something that you might feel a little guilty about, you throw in the 'illegal' towel.

Like I said...no need for excuses to make yourself feel better.....just don't do anything....lots of people do nothing and that is fine...just do it if you want, do not if you want.....but don't make piss poor excuses to rest your heads upon.

I guess your next suggestion will be doing a bank robbery or so, who cares about consequencies or the law uh? :D

Then you come up with extreme and ridiculous arguments to argue your defense.

Thing is, there is no need for response unless you are feeling guilty...but why feel guilty....just dont do it and nobody will give a rats either way....but here is the hint...don't make up excuses.

Edited by Nawtier

Then you come up with extreme and ridiculous arguments to argue your defense.

Thing is, there is no need for response unless you are feeling guilty...but why feel guilty....just dont do it and nobody will give a rats either way....but here is the hint...don't make up excuses.

Why ridiculous and extreme? i have just made an example that will made somebody end up in the same place of someone putting into action your suggestions, that's all, do you really want to put on the same level a foreigner caught doing work without a valid work permit with a foreigner caught without an helmet while riding a motocy? c'mon......and i don't feel guilty at all, why should i? i am just giving my input on the subject, i might feel sad that the local law is creating more sufference than anything else on this particular case, but suggesting to break the law is not the way to go, i appreciate your awareness on this injustice but you are following the wrong way to give it a fix, if that would ever be possible for a foreigner of course

So what you are saying....and by way of scare tactics and excuses re the ILLEGAL and end up in jail same same bank robbers.....is that the many people around the country that do the odd deed should think twice about it because the boogy man will get them.

Do you know how many people possibly go and visit Thai orphanages and drop of goods, or lend a hand for half a day every now and again ??

How many people join in tree planting excercises and god know how many other examples there are.

based on your arguments, they should not and be quaking in their boots that they could end up next to the Thai version of Ronald Biggs.....with less cash of course...and brains....

What have YOU contributed for the good of Thailand?:jap:

Yah mean other than being a walking, talking, posting advertisement for Thailand?

Other than that I chose to help support a Thai family with some financial aid so the 3 children might get a better education.

Me also. Except 2 children. But I,m working really hard for the 3rd one.

Nothing.

I go to Thailand 4-5 times a year and as a tourist I don't see any reason why I should do something special for a country I'm just visiting.

I don't see Thai tourists running around charities in my (not so rich) country either...

Nothing.

I go to Thailand 4-5 times a year and as a tourist I don't see any reason why I should do something special for a country I'm just visiting.

I don't see Thai tourists running around charities in my (not so rich) country either...

I visit Thailand 4 -5 times a year yoo. As tourists, we are already contributing through our expenses. I am not sure about you but I always vsit all the touristy places and by paying tourists entrance fees without complaints(yet) I am definitely contributing.

This is a good thread. I have always wanted to do more for Thailand too but too bad, I don't have any Thai friends to help me get something started. I find the Thais extremely courteous, helpful and friendly but they don't commit and don't maintain long lasting frienship. Maybe they are afraid of foreigners ?

I must add that I am promoting Thailand. I will be bring more friends along in my next few trips.

Edited by healthcaretaker

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing.

If you are visiting Thailand 4-5 times a year then this is not just tourism ( hopefully u r not a combodian , laoation , burmese or malaysian) I smell somthing else. Thailand is not asking for ur charity the thread is just about small deeds u have done to contrbute to this society

Nothing.

If you are visiting Thailand 4-5 times a year then this is not just tourism ( hopefully u r not a combodian , laoation , burmese or malaysian) I smell somthing else. Thailand is not asking for ur charity the thread is just about small deeds u have done to contrbute to this society

I am from Europe (eastern part) but I live in Hong Kong so Thailand is an obvious choice for me when I need to relax for a few days. I usually spend 3-10 days in there so I believe it's still tourism.

Since I don't live in Thailand (and never will) I don't see any reason why I should contribute to Thai society in any way.

Whatever I'm doing, I'm always doing for my own country, not for foreign country I have nothing to do with.

i've spent most of the last 20 years in thailand and in that time i can safely say i have contributed more money to the thai economy than most thais do in a lifetime.

i have committed many altruistic acts towards thai people.

i have at times appropriate donated money to temples, charities and beggars.

i've always tipped quite generously where appropriate and even when the service has been mediocre.

i've never bothered haggling harder than getting the agreed price down to a price that's still quite expensive.

i've given my time as an unpaid english teacher.

i've made every effort to be sensitive to the local customs and religion.

i have learned to speak and read the language.

all of the above have been done willingly.

i've paid bribes to lazy, corrupt policemen for the privilege of riding the bikes i have hired and bought from thais, again often at over the market rate.

i've bought drinks for snooker hall cheats and their flunkies.

i've bought large rounds for rude, obsequious bar hostesses.

i've paid inflated farang prices at shabby tourist attractions where thais get a large discount.

i've been ripped-off in countless other small and trivial ways from taxi drivers claiming not to have change of 100baht for a 40baht fare, to a laundry where the owner was wearing my levi's when i went to collect them and claimed they'd been stolen off the washing line.

all the above have been tolerated with a "whatever, no point in making a fuss" attitude.

am i pleased with the return on my "investment"?

no comment :whistling:

Edited by joe ekkamai

I assume you are talking about good deeds OTHER than paying medical expenses for sick buffaloes and keeping the Thai brewery trade in business :D

if i may add , as a rider ,

i buy a lot of condoms . :jap:

i've spent most of the last 20 years in thailand and in that time i can safely say i have contributed more money to the thai economy than most thais do in a lifetime.

i have committed many altruistic acts towards thai people.

i have at times appropriate donated money to temples, charities and beggars.

i've always tipped quite generously where appropriate and even when the service has been mediocre.

i've never bothered haggling harder than getting the agreed price down to a price that's still quite expensive.

i've given my time as an unpaid english teacher.

i've made every effort to be sensitive to the local customs and religion.

i have learned to speak and read the language.

all of the above have been done willingly.

i've paid bribes to lazy, corrupt policemen for the privilege of riding the bikes i have hired and bought from thais, again often at over the market rate.

i've bought drinks for snooker hall cheats and their flunkies.

i've bought large rounds for rude, obsequious bar hostesses.

i've paid inflated farang prices at shabby tourist attractions where thais get a large discount.

i've been ripped-off in countless other small and trivial ways from taxi drivers claiming not to have change of 100baht for a 40baht fare, to a laundry where the owner was wearing my levi's when i went to collect them and claimed they'd been stolen off the washing line.

all the above have been tolerated with a "whatever, no point in making a fuss" attitude.

am i pleased with the return on my "investment"?

no comment :whistling:

lol, the Levi's story made my day...:cheesy:

How about, "what have you done for Thailand that did not benefit you personally?"

It seems it has hard not to live here without a spin off benefit to the Thais, but how about completely sefless actions, any takers?

Soon after I settled here in Thailand, I joined the Rotary Club of Bangkok and as a member and director I contributed to a large number of service projects, both with money and personal help. Among such projects are:

- Eradicate Polio (free polio vaccination for all)

- Install clean drinking water supply to schools (pumps, filter system)

- Sponsor training for rural English teachers

- sponsor many students from primary school to university

- sponsor free cataract surgery for poor people in Thailand

- sponsor free surgery for split lip patients in Thailand

- sponsor computers, TV etc for rural schools

etc. etc., etc.

No need to put a number here about how much I personally contributed, but I can tell you that it made me very happy to see how much the recipients appreciated what we did and still do. We are about 100 people in this club and part of a world-wide organisation active in all countries of the world.

Yeh, Rotary,l know all about them, maisons too. :unsure:

what does the rotary club have to do with houses in France? :blink:

I like to help the stray dogs and cats, give them a feed, if they're injured or in a bad way I drop past the local vet with them.

Like most places, I don't have much time for the people, people are their own worst enemy, its more the helpless animal victims that I have time for.

Every morning I go out and sweep the dog <deleted> from the soi(and I don't even have a dog) Now and then I get help from someone else who sees the farang doing it and so sweeps in front of her own place.Then I head off to Pak Kred babies home a few times a week to give a hand there.

Every morning I go out and sweep the dog <deleted> from the soi(and I don't even have a dog)

That's a nice habit you have Raesum, i admit i was doing the same back home, it's an honorable thing to help out the community without expecting anything in exchange, unfortunately i had to give up this little "hobby" i had, after learning that the locals here can just compensate for your good deed by get you imprisoned, as that would be working without an appropriated work permit, unless of course you already have a work permit stating that you can sweep the road (unlikely as i guess that's one of the forbidden activities for a foreigner), you posses thai citizenship or the road in question is your own private road, same thing applies to the other volountering you do, i am sorry to be the one to make you aware of this but be carefull, even if you are the nicest person of this world, some of the clever people watching you might decide to earn on your good actions and there is nothing you can really do when you are breaking the law, indipendently if is a fair or unfair law, cheers :jap:

I like to help the stray dogs and cats, give them a feed, if they're injured or in a bad way I drop past the local vet with them.

Like most places, I don't have much time for the people, people are their own worst enemy, its more the helpless animal victims that I have time for.

When I first got to SEA I noticed the soldiers fed the local dogs but the kids starved in the streets.

After a couple of years I learned why. But I still found it odd.

Just say that it isn't work -- it is your form of meditation as prescribed by the local Wat.

To meditate in a crowded thai cell might prove to be a tricky matter even for the most gifted disceples of the Gandhi :lol:

(I gave up this hobby) ... after learning that the locals here can just compensate for your good deed by get you imprisoned ... Can or did? If someone were to turn you in for sweeping away the dog sh-t then they probably would be just getting back at you for something else that you did to them...

Edited by jazzbo

I have helped kids with their English homework.

I have given blood 20 times. Would give more but the hospital has located a problem and said no more.

I have drank an enormous ammount of elephant juice which explains the above, come to think of it.

I sweep up my neighbour s leaves.

I put up with the missus, for which I feel a statue should be erected in my honour.