What You Have Done For Thailand?

skyaslimit

I have been to this forum for a while and found it very informative and full of helpfully suggestions, but there are a lot of complains regarding Thai society, Thai behaviors, Thai living standards etc. etc. , most of us compare it with our own societies and communities where we were born and raised before arriving here in Thailand.

So before you do more complains just think once............. What have YOU contributed for the good of Thailand?:jap:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you read Thai Visa for any length of time you would know the answer. Most people who do good don't brag about it. For two reasons, 1. It is not the right thing to do and 2. on TV no good deed goes unpunished.

You are right Mark. People who are doing good things don't need to puff themselves up on a forum and at the same time don't wish to involve the peanut gallery on things they take seriously.

I don't think this is as obvious a question as you presume.

I donated frequently to a couple of Thai charities, including a Thai orphanage.

I tried to volunteer at a couple of schools, since I was a former teacher and school administrator, but I was reminded that that broke a law which prohibited farangs from doing volunteer work without a change in their visa status.

So I guess, in the long term, the only way I had helped was through $$$$$.

What have YOU contributed for the good of Thailand?:jap:

Yah mean other than being a walking, talking, posting advertisement for Thailand?

Other than that I chose to help support a Thai family with some financial aid so the 3 children might get a better education.

I can think of quite a few Farangs that contribute to Thai-Society:

- The 40 to 50 thousand Farangs that live permanently in Thailand and have a Thai-GF or a Thai-Wife and support the whole Thai-Family. Including the offspring of the Thai-Lady that has children of a previous marriage and the Ex-Thai BF or husband have left the scene and forgot completely to leave even something like a forwarding mail-adress.

- Or the 1 time a year Farang-Tourists of the very noble kind: They feel obliged to transfer a certain amount of cash every month to her Holiday-Aquaintance in order to prevent her from starving in a dark Pattaya backstreet while they are not in town.

Therefore: A lot of good-hearted Farangs around that are willing (on a voluntary basis) to contribite to Thai-Society. Cheers.

I bought 5 condos so Thai construction workers benefitted also the niti office were kept employed and the developer, I bought a car made in Thailand, I bought some land for my wife off a local so they probably blew it all on a car all made in Thailand, I gave the condos to my wife who earns about 90k a month renting them out so she has been kept employed and she quit her job to do it thereby freeing up her old job for a new Thai employee.

I pay for the fast track service at the airport thus employing their staff..

I did enough.

Just by my being here, I am doing a lot for Thailand, thanks... donations to charity and bringing family and friends over multiple times notwithstanding!

I really do find these do-gooder-type posts cringeworthy, though. I mean, other than spend inordinate amounts of cash compared to the natives, do what exactly and why? Should one be collecting trash, helping old ladies cross the road, save the lizards? At the end of the day, although it's perhaps one of the best places to be, once the tint has faded on the rose-coloured glasses, our hosts could reciprocate and make life for some of us long-termers easier. Dropping the 90-day reporting for those who have been married for a number of years for one; houses in name another. They don't need to bend over backwards, but making one feel at home and not an 'alien' would be nice.

I bought 5 condos so Thai construction workers benefitted also the niti office were kept employed and the developer, I bought a car made in Thailand, I bought some land for my wife off a local so they probably blew it all on a car all made in Thailand, I gave the condos to my wife who earns about 90k a month renting them out so she has been kept employed and she quit her job to do it thereby freeing up her old job for a new Thai employee.

I pay for the fast track service at the airport thus employing their staff..

I did enough.

You bought those condos for your financial benefits your wife is earning 90ks by renting them out so she do not need any other lousy job, all the Toyota's and Honda's are assembled here in Thailand so you have to use them, and your fast track service at air port is just because you don't wanna waist your time.

“So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

“But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

Matthew 6:2-3

Edited by canuckamuck

Just by my being here, I am doing a lot for Thailand, thanks... donations to charity and bringing family and friends over multiple times notwithstanding!

I really do find these do-gooder-type posts cringeworthy, though. I mean, other than spend inordinate amounts of cash compared to the natives, do what exactly and why? Should one be collecting trash, helping old ladies cross the road, save the lizards? At the end of the day, although it's perhaps one of the best places to be, once the tint has faded on the rose-coloured glasses, our hosts could reciprocate and make life for some of us long-termers easier. Dropping the 90-day reporting for those who have been married for a number of years for one; houses in name another. They don't need to bend over backwards, but making one feel at home and not an 'alien' would be nice.

Well unfortunately neither the kids infected with HIV in the orphanage nor their carers which I donated all my daughter's old clothes, books and toys to don't have a lot of say in immigration policy or property ownership rules ( Would that they did!). But their smiles of joy were compensation enough.

Edited by mca

Other than what I spend monthly on living and traveling expenses nothing. I am a "tourist" on a TR.

When and if I do apply for extension or O-A I plan on doing even less.

I don't know why foreigners contribute often wads of money, hard earned while the elite of this nation could care less about the poor and disenfranchised. Better they give it back to the nations from where their "wealth" was derived.

As many people on TV, plenty of Thai's around us/me that we could give until we were broke. Families first.

Whenever I see any farang giving money or time I am always struck in my mind by a number of images:

Some overweight immigration officer hassling me over some petty nonsense

The absolutely insane number of bureaucrats in this nation

All the Mercedes in BKK

New, ugly and expensive airport

The PAD sit in at the airport

Bangkok burning, an annual event now. A clarion call from the poor to the elite

The arrogance coming out of the ministries

The absolute lack of interest Thailand has in educating its population

The high number Thailand ALWAYS rates on the world corruption stage

How I am indirectly made to feel unwelcome and unwanted through the media, ministry pronouncements and haphazard immigration policy.

So - what have you given and done. Just so I can have a laugh....

In time, I see myself and my girlfriend spending six months a year here. We will chase the cool weather throughout Asia and stay in US for a few months. Thailand - so yesterday....

Edited by bangkokburning

Thai immigration policy in no uncertain terms says - We Don't Want You Here

And to this you give a big dopey smile and open your wallet.

As for HIV orphans. Why isn't the govt doing more for them and to curb HIV? Why can't you donate to some HIV cause in your home country and feel as good? Or to Haiti? Or wherever....Why does Thailand deserve your donation when they treat you like a criminal?

If you are laying by the side of the road, no one will do anything. Eg, they will do nothing. You have obviously not been in Asia very long. This is if for no other reason than if I die, they read you will be blamed for the death.

But you knew that already.

wise up

You have mistaken my take on reality as a lack of empathy for the poor. Could not be further from the truth.

Edited by bangkokburning

If you are laying by the side of the road, no one will do anything. Eg, they will do nothing. You have obviously not been in Asia very long. This is if for no other reason than if I die, they read you will be blamed for the death.

I did this last week, knocked off my m/c

Some young Thai ladies (in their 20s), in a car (nothing to do with the accident), stopped, picked me and the wife up, picked up and tested out the m/c.

If we had needed hospital treatment, they seemed quite willing to take us, but we didn't need further assistance.

Numerous hoops to jump through to procure a visa, even TR - but especially in any long stay capacity. This includes but is not limited to all sorts of reporting nonsense. Including I am now reading - having your landlord show up at the immigration office.

The visa could be as simple as this: Do you have B400K to support yourself for a year visa. Enjoy Thailand and have a nice day.

Thailand could even force us to take insurance out that blanket covers emergency medical and a ticket out. tickets out not even needed.

I don't mind having to give my pp at hotels nor do I mind having to register where I "generally" stay when not traveling.

After that threshold - its just a police state.

I did this last week, knocked off my m/c

Some young Thai ladies (in their 20s), in a car (nothing to do with the accident), stopped, picked me and the wife up, picked up and tested out the m/c.

If we had needed hospital treatment, they seemed quite willing to take us, but we didn't need further assistance.

You were not lying bloody and dying on the road. BIG difference to my statement

It's been my experience EVERYWHERE that the middle income earners are the most generous. With a few exceptions, the very wealthy are too busy and too self righteous to be bothered helping anyone that doesn't give them instant pay back. I've been helped many times by Thais and seldom been asked for much in return. I help others because it makes ME feel good, not because I expect anything in return. And, it seems like Kharma actually works. To me, all humans on earth should have a right to enjoy a relatively safe and pleasant life. Country borders and ethnic race mean nothing to me. I no longer help the North American poor. They already have enough resources to improve their lives if they are willing to take advantage of them. That is not the case for the poor of Asia. The poor in Asia must rely on family for help, and most Thai families don't have enough to help themselves. There is no question that the wealthy in Thailand prefer to keep the poor right where they are... destitute and uneducated. In medieval times in the UK the King or lord in his castle kept all the serfs in a form of slavery. It's a bit like that in Asia.

It's been my experience EVERYWHERE that the middle income earners are the most generous. With a few exceptions, the very wealthy are too busy and too self righteous to be bothered helping anyone that doesn't give them instant pay back. I've been helped many times by Thais and seldom been asked for much in return. I help others because it makes ME feel good, not because I expect anything in return. And, it seems like Kharma actually works. To me, all humans on earth should have a right to enjoy a relatively safe and pleasant life. Country borders and ethnic race mean nothing to me. I no longer help the North American poor. They already have enough resources to improve their lives if they are willing to take advantage of them. That is not the case for the poor of Asia. The poor in Asia must rely on family for help, and most Thai families don't have enough to help themselves. There is no question that the wealthy in Thailand prefer to keep the poor right where they are... destitute and uneducated. In medieval times in the UK the King or lord in his castle kept all the serfs in a form of slavery. It's a bit like that in Asia.

Excellent post

This attitude of I'm all right jack and why should I help others when their own people do not makes me sick.

Just because various rich Thai's exploit the poor for their own ends is no reason not to help these people.

In 15 years of living in Asia the vast majority of my (better than average) income has been spent in Thailand on various projects giving comfort to some and employment to others (I am not referring to part time contracts to bar girls ) , as well as helping some local engineers better their skills and get better jobs. My proudest achievement is putting my wife's eldest daughetr through university so she to can ow contribute to society. I did not have to do any of this, and no doubt iI I had not I would now not need to work, BUT what I have done, I have done because I wanted to and I have no regrets.

Yes some recognition from immigration would be nice, but I knew the rules when I started so I have no complaints.

But you knew that already.

wise up

You have mistaken my take on reality as a lack of empathy for the poor. Could not be further from the truth.

Really...I have witnessed accidents with people helping.

I have lived here for some time...so your arrogant attitude can be stumped right there.

You stated you would not do anything or help anyone....you said it....it is closer to the truth than you choose to believe....keep on trying to fool yourself and perhaps reconsider spending 6 months a year here.

This place is not perfect....neither are you by the sounds......to quote you 'wise up chump'