What You Have Done For Thailand?

skyaslimit

One of the things my partner is doing at the moment is collecting used books (of all languages) from local residents and selling them to send the proceeds to help relieve those affected by the flooding in the south of Thailand, so if anyone here would like to donate, please PM me!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about, "what have you done for Thailand that did not benefit you personally?"

It seems it has hard not to live here without a spin off benefit to the Thais, but how about completely sefless actions, any takers?

Soon after I settled here in Thailand, I joined the Rotary Club of Bangkok and as a member and director I contributed to a large number of service projects, both with money and personal help. Among such projects are:

- Eradicate Polio (free polio vaccination for all)

- Install clean drinking water supply to schools (pumps, filter system)

- Sponsor training for rural English teachers

- sponsor many students from primary school to university

- sponsor free cataract surgery for poor people in Thailand

- sponsor free surgery for split lip patients in Thailand

- sponsor computers, TV etc for rural schools

etc. etc., etc.

No need to put a number here about how much I personally contributed, but I can tell you that it made me very happy to see how much the recipients appreciated what we did and still do. We are about 100 people in this club and part of a world-wide organisation active in all countries of the world.

Lemme check. :whistling: ..

Hmmm, still checkin’. :ermm:

Okay, I guess I haven’t done all that much ‘for thailand’. :(

In fact, other than living here for goin’ on 6 years and learning to speak, read, and to a lesser extent write the thai language, I guess I haven’t done much at all ;) .

Then again, those were some pretty tough things to figure out :D . However they certainly contribute more to my ease of living here than directly benefiting any particular thai, the ‘community’ or thailand as a whole.

FWIW: I do patronize my local thai street sellers. I also help teach both the adults and their kids on my soi engrish (in turn; they teach me thai), so it’s more a language exchange program. I also employ the odd thai now and again for things I don’t wanna do.

Like I said, I haven’t really done all that much here but kill time waiting to die. :P

The Lions Club is also very active in Thailand in vision related projects ... not my style but they do great work... Why does the Lions club emphasize vision related projects? Because in 1925 Helen Keller asked them to.

BTW The Jesters motorcycle club does a lot of work with the school for the Blind in Pattaya...

Edited by jazzbo

I owe Thailand something?? I'm a helpful neighbor to my immediate neighbors but beyond that I pay my taxes, spend my money here and pay for visas every year and since any kind of work here is illegal without permission that is more then enough personal investment for me given what I get back in return which is basically nothing.....

I owe Thailand something??

Certainly not....do it if you want to, dont if you dont.....nobody holding a knife to your throat to do anything at all.

In fact most people do not.....

You do realize that there is nothing you can LEGALLY do without a work permit?? Any country with established boundaries like that isn't really making it worth while to give it much effort..

There is a saying in Thai .....

"Pit thong lang phra" (Put the gold on the back of the Bhudda statue) which is similar to many sayings in English about doing good things. Toot your own horn all you want, but by the very act of doing so you diminish the actual merit of your actions.

You do realize that there is nothing you can LEGALLY do without a work permit?? .

A lot of people use that as an excuse I guess....

Don't think so. THEIR law is there so a visa holder can do nothing work wise cos a Thai should be doing it. When l paint my house or cut the grass l am always looking over my shoulder cos a Thai should be doing it.

Am l right in saying foreign rescue workers who came to help after the Seunami had problems because didn't have a paper with a rubber stamp on it.;)

Like I said...a lot of people use it as an excuse....no neeed for excuses...just dont do it if you do not want to.

There is plenty you could do if you really wanted to.

I gave a lot of thought to this question ...

And after having long considered what that community has done for me, I can honestly say we are even.

You are the visitor here right ?

Why do they need to do anything for you first ?

Post of the week.

(I have to admit the fingers are itching, but I'll let JurgenG handle this himself, he seems to be doing a great job of that...!):sick:

Edited by Forethat

And after having long considered what that community has done for me, I can honestly say we are even.

Post of the week.

(I have to admit the fingers are itching, but I'll let JurgenG handle this himself, he seems to be doing a great job of that...!):sick:

Surprised to still see you on this one are your Robotics playing up.:D

Edited by Kwasaki

I'm not complaining.

Actually, it reminds me these famous lines from one of my favorite movies

Magenta: I ask for nothing!

Frank: And you shall receive it, IN ABUNDANCE! ...

Take 2: You do realize that there is nothing you can LEGALLY do without a work permit?? .

Actually, the MFA website makes a clear distinction that you can 'Conduct Business' for which they specify no WP requirement (2.1.2) for issuance of a 'B' Visa vs. 'Foreigners Who Wish to Work In Thailand' for which they detail the documentation required for 'B" Visa application including the Form WP3.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

You do realize that there is nothing you can LEGALLY do without a work permit?? .

A lot of people use that as an excuse I guess....

Don't think so. THEIR law is there so a visa holder can do nothing work wise cos a Thai should be doing it. When l paint my house or cut the grass l am always looking over my shoulder cos a Thai should be doing it.

Am l right in saying foreign rescue workers who came to help after the Seunami had problems because didn't have a paper with a rubber stamp on it.;)

Yes you are.....

Correct that is....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Take 2: You do realize that there is nothing you can LEGALLY do without a work permit?? .

Actually, the MFA website makes a clear distinction that you can 'Conduct Business' for which they specify no WP requirement (2.1.2) for issuance of a 'B' Visa vs. 'Foreigners Who Wish to Work In Thailand' for which they detail the documentation required for 'B" Visa application including the Form WP3.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

Sure with ridiculous amounts of money invested but that really isn't what is being debated here is it?

http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2492

Sure with ridiculous amounts of money invested but that really isn't what is being debated here is it?

Potentially, the one who feels the urge to do cummunity work should be able to do so on a Business Visa. With such you're allowed to participate in business related activities that doesn't generate revenue.

There is a saying in Thai .....

"Pit thong lang phra" (Put the gold on the back of the Bhudda statue) which is similar to many sayings in English about doing good things. Toot your own horn all you want, but by the very act of doing so you diminish the actual merit of your actions.

Thank you. I see lots of examples of that around where I live. I'll add that to my vocabulary.