Pattaya International Hot Air Balloon Festival 2010

jkinbkk

^there seems to be a complete lack of ability to market events in Pattaya.

Last weekend driving along I saw the sign promoting the Dragon Boat Race for 10th 2010, with no month on the poster, unless 10th is the month and then there's no date.

There's also posters for the Chinese Badminton event, written in English except for the date which is written in Thai.

^there seems to be a complete lack of ability to market events in Pattaya.

Last weekend driving along I saw the sign promoting the Dragon Boat Race for 10th 2010, with no month on the poster, unless 10th is the month and then there's no date.

There's also posters for the Chinese Badminton event, written in English except for the date which is written in Thai.

It's this weekend coming, the 10th refers to the 10th year of it!!, i saw the signs too and could not make head nor tail of them, i only know because i heard it on the radio.

It has always been the case here, write up's and pictures after the events but very little (clear) pre advertising?:huh:

Time for an events calendar on Thaivisa?

There's a pinned topic but the last event advertised is halloween at Horseshoe Point.

I was thinking more of an ongoing actual calender with different events pinned up by ThaiVisa members. More for events like this than promotions of 'happy hour' at a bar etc.

As the other poster mentioned, you (well, me) seem to read about it after the fact rather than knowing about it before hand.

• 3 weeks later...
<BR>I see the balloon festival is 9-12 December this year at thammara? university. Anybody know how I get there from central pattaya?<BR><BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Head East on Siam Country Club Road, when the road veers left at the top end of lake Maprachan keep going straight ahead through the archway towards Siam Country Club, about 200m past the entrance to SCC you will see a small road on your left - go in there and it is about another 200m on your left, the University is on the right - cant miss it. <BR><BR><A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://maps.google.co.th/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=12.924553,100.99843&spn=0.019366,0.027466&z=15&msid=100853395729061099911.0004970ae913821138696" rel="nofollow external">http://maps.google.c...0ae913821138696</A><BR><BR>The area on the map that says Bella Express?? is where the university is. <BR><BR>Also very easy if you are comming from Bangkok or Rayong - just off the 36 Highway close to the entrance to the Bira Circuit. Edited by LennyW

I see the balloon festival is 9-12 December this year at thammara? university. Anybody know how I get there from central pattaya?

don't know where you got this information from, as the festival is in January from the 13th to the 16th

Unfortunately, but in rather typical Pattaya fashion, the change in dates was not widely publicised and most people would expect a 2010 festival to be held in 2010, not 2011! Most local websites, even the PBTA, still show the original dates.

A number of disappointed visitors, many from Bangkok, have already had a wasted journey as have local visitors and groups, such as the Pattaya Photographic Society who visited in some numbers yesterday only to be met by a bemused security guard and a deserted field.

Yet again Pattaya has succeeded in shooting itself squarely in the foot.

Edited by SweatiePie

• 4 weeks later...

Might go and have a look. Anyone know if there is an admission charge?

Always been free to enter in the past.

The balloons tend to take of very early in the morning - ie: just after 6 am !!! the rest of the day seems to be kite flying etc, big party/concert in the evenings.

I guess they will be hoping this wind dies down a bit before next weekend!!

Might go and have a look. Anyone know if there is an admission charge?

Always been free to enter in the past.

The balloons tend to take of very early in the morning - ie: just after 6 am !!! the rest of the day seems to be kite flying etc, big party/concert in the evenings.

I guess they will be hoping this wind dies down a bit before next weekend!!

balloons are rising right now

started at around 6-30am

Was looking to go with my family, does anyone know if there is transport to and from the event, maybe mini bus or something?

Do the balloons mainly just leave early morning or will there be balloons leaving throughout the day and evening too?

Was looking to go with my family, does anyone know if there is transport to and from the event, maybe mini bus or something?

Do the balloons mainly just leave early morning or will there be balloons leaving throughout the day and evening too?

Don't know about transport but if you go this internet page www.pibf.info/2011/th/event/ there is a program of activities. It's in Thai but I've found if I open it using Google Chrome browser it will translate it to English. Appears to be some form of balloon activity from 4pm to 8pm, I assume from the early morning launch mentioned above that they are flying around the Pattaya area until then.

first balloon up this morning had an incident

after drifting about a kilometer from take off point

i saw him lose height very quickly and despite huge bursts of flame from the burner he only just managed to address it

i saw the canopy start to collapse as he landed on tree tops then just in time it re-inflated and gained height

must have been hairy for the occupants but i expect a change of underwear is carried on board......

i have just arrived back from the balloon festival

arrived about 3-40

it was very well organised, there was even some commentary in English (for us foreigners as the announcer said)

it was quite a spectacle, lots of kites, some as big as planes, model aircraft that were nearly as big as the real thing, microlights and much more

the balloons whilst not as varied as in previous years, were non the less very dramatically launched to the star wars theme, with cheers, applause and enthusiastic waves from the crowd below

the delight on the children's faces was wonderful to behold

so well done somebody on organizing it

some advanced publicity would have helped your cause

i only knew it was happening because i saw the balloons rising early morning whilst i was walking the dog

maybe next year......