Naming & Shaming

uptheos

As we know naming and shaming is against forum rules and rightly the topic will be locked ASAP.

However, surely this forum isn't just for praise, it should also be able to alert people.

Why don't people just write and explain their bad experiences and ask members to PM them if they want further info?

Any other suggestions, because personally, I would like to know where these rip off places are. jap.gif

I like your suggestion but I don't think it is possible..........

A forum is for the exchange of ideas, information, experiences and the odd bit of gossip. I think it is difficult, however, for the owners of TV to spot when someone is simply slagging off a competitor so that it will have an impact on their business. For that reason alone, I can't see how it can be done.

Like you though, I wish there were some way that it could be done closedeyes.gif

A forum is for the exchange of ideas, information, experiences and the odd bit of gossip. I think it is difficult, however, for the owners of TV to spot when someone is simply slagging off a competitor so that it will have an impact on their business. For that reason alone, I can't see how it can be done.

Like you though, I wish there were some way that it could be done closedeyes.gif

If the establishment/business is not named on the forum, but someone just telling their experience (good or bad), then I don't think that hurts TV (I might be wrong). Then if anyone is interested they could ask the OP privately where this happened, if they are interested. E.g. for coffee I'm just not interested as I wouldn't pay 70 Baht in Starbucks or Starry Night!, But some might be.

There are a lot of members on this forum and I'm sure someone can think up a way we can protect each other. smile.gif

There ways of naming and shaming. Tripadvisor and other similar websites have an excellent review system that would obtain better results than commenting on a general forum.

Edited by Beetlejuice

A lot does make it through. Especially when the thread does not start as a complaint about a specific business.

I think there just needs to be balanced information and not just focus on trashing one business.

For example on Bicycle shops which have been discussed recently. It has been mentioned that Jacky Bike has by far the best selection but that the owner is a grouch and maybe doesn't honor all the warranties. I don't know about the warranties but he has been cranky to me.... Kind of helps to know this before so it does not ruin the experience. If you know something going in then really helpful.

I would say just don't start a thread about a bad experience.... and when mentioning the experience then bring up the good with the bad. Hopefully there is a little good in most businesses.

If the establishment/business is not named on the forum, but someone just telling their experience (good or bad), then I don't think that hurts TV (I might be wrong). Then if anyone is interested they could ask the OP privately where this happened, if they are interested. E.g. for coffee I'm just not interested as I wouldn't pay 70 Baht in Starbucks or Starry Night!, But some might be.

I agree, Uptheos.

Post the bad experience but don't name it. That is not against forum rules as I understand it and does not open TV or the poster to any legal action. Then just add the poinjt that anyone who wants more info can pm. That's ok i think

caf

There are a lot of members on this forum and I'm sure someone can think up a way we can protect each other. smile.gif

I mean would it be against rules/principles to mention a bad experience I had with Air Asia, regarding a booking that was paid for but not confirmed?.......plus I spent a fortune in calls trying to get any sense out of them and finally the situation was resolved by SCB coming to my assistance. I obviously won't go into detail now, but the same could happen to others and it's nice to know how to resolve these things.

A lot does make it through. Especially when the thread does not start as a complaint about a specific business.

I think there just needs to be balanced information and not just focus on trashing one business.

For example on Bicycle shops which have been discussed recently. It has been mentioned that Jacky Bike has by far the best selection but that the owner is a grouch and maybe doesn't honor all the warranties. I don't know about the warranties but he has been cranky to me.... Kind of helps to know this before so it does not ruin the experience. If you know something going in then really helpful.

I would say just don't start a thread about a bad experience.... and when mentioning the experience then bring up the good with the bad. Hopefully there is a little good in most businesses.

Good post smile.gif

Not sure how strict they are but it seems to me that a lot of negative messages get posted.

The problem that can arise with negative posts is people are not all the same. Some will slag a place because they don't like the price (cheap charlies) some will slag it because the service sucks and some will slag it just because that is what they do.

To top it all off it is just there opinion. Some one else might look at the same situation and say what is the problem. If a person is going to post negativity that is OK with me as long as he is honest.

As for posting a experience and having people in-box me to get the name. Don't hold your breath. One or two possibly.B)

If I slag a place you will know it and you will also have the facts.

Reminds me of a friend who is about to stop going to a certain restaurant because he has to walk in through a smoking section. His point is a valid one but to hear him tell it it is a huge problem.

Edited by jayjay0

Not sure how strict they are but it seems to me that a lot of negative messages get posted.

The problem that can arise with negative posts is people are not all the same. Some will slag a place because they don't like the price (cheap charlies) some will slag it because the service sucks and some will slag it just because that is what they do.

To top it all off it is just there opinion. Some one else might look at the same situation and say what is the problem. If a person is going to post negativity that is OK with me as long as he is honest.

As for posting a experience and having people in-box me to get the name. Don't hold your breath. One or two possibly.B)

If I slag a place you will know it and you will also have the facts.

Reminds me of a friend who is about to stop going to a certain restaurant because he has to walk in through a smoking section. His point is a valid one but to hear him tell it it is a huge problem.

Maybe some people slag just for the sake of it. That is a different issue. I just think it helpful - and it is not against forum rules - for posters to post an honest bad experience. But without naming and shaming. The offer of using a pm if others want more detail is there but it is obviously not obligatory to take up.

Those that take up the offer are then advised of the scam without breaching any forum or legal rules. Those that don't, well - that's up to them. They can't then claim not to have been aware of the problem as they choose to ignore it. And I have no problem with that either. But it will potentially assist posters.

Don't forget because of the unforgivable sin of being a successful competitor. :D

Another problem with allowing negative posts is that some people may be tempted to criticise forum sponsors, and that wouldn't be good. I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the reason for the new policy. Maybe potential advertisers were being scared away. Who would want to pay for an ad only to receive negative feedback?

It's there ball, and if you don't play the way they want, you can't play. :jap:

A public forum like this is a business and maintained by a few whom make the rules for the members. I agree with you, but as someone who has started a couple of forums (small ones, 4000 and 8500 members currently) know that you either live by the rules or just move on. I passed on both of the forums to others because I couldn't be as patient as I should have been, and shutting one down all together would have been rude and inconsiderate; but I could have. :whistling:

Cheers,

Kev

a lot of these rules are not hard and fast. It's difficult to draw the line.

Isn't it against forum rules to discuss moderation procedures? But here we are.

Isn't it against forum rules to self promote a business but that is skirted all the time.

Heck for that matter didn't one of the moderators start a thread about a roach being found in a product at a major grocery store?

It's a gray area to decide what exactly crosses the line. Learn to stay inside the imaginary lines by trial and error.

Criticism was allowed in the past and even the Mods joined in, but these days they're being extra cautious because of a new interpretation of the strict Thai libel laws. Also, this helps in the new efforts to rid the forum of negative, aggressive posters.

Edited by thinkinofstayin

There was a thread not so long ago along the lines of this subject here and the reasons why its a particularly difficult one for Thaivisa.

Which means, apologies, but i must close this thread in the meantime. Will put the question to other mods and admin, to see if there is any practical way these matters can be discussed and/or guidance rules.

I completely understand members frustration in this, but at the same time Thaivisa needs to protect itself.

Hope for your understanding in this.

Best regards.