Who Here Has A Big Bike In Los

submaniac

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets get real people.....anything bigger than 750cc is a big bike anywhere in the world. A 400cc or 500cc or 600cc is light middle weight. 650cc or 750cc is middle weight. :)

Edited by BSJ

Lets get real people.....anything bigger than 750cc is a big bike anywhere in the world. A 400cc or 500cc or 600cc is light middle weight. 650cc or 750cc is middle weight. :)

cc is really a dated classification, both for cars and bikes. HP and weight tells me something

a harley 1440cc is big but slow

a kwaker 599cc is d-mn fast

and several 1000cc bikes are lighter than the "middle weight" 650s :)

I have only one.......:(

Yeah baby :jap: one will notice the obligatory corn husking & drying operation in the background :lol:

Lovely bike Garry!

Thanks for the kind words CB. Unfortunately I don't get to ride her that much with being overseas working most of the time. :annoyed:

But I'm back tomorrow. My wife tells me that my mia noi (mistress aka bike) is all ready for me for when I get home. Have some more carbon & titanium goodies to fit to it and that will just about finish the bike off on the bling side of things.Next is the engine & ECU changes and some working the noggin to rig PC5 & dual map & auto-tune. :coffee1:

I'll be going down to Chiang Mai Bike Week with some buddies. Be interesting to see how much attention it gets. Hope to see you all there :) :jap:

I have 2 custom Hondas, Phantom and Steed. They are big enough for me.

post-65746-0-36335200-1290005069_thumb.j

Photos don't do them justice by the looks. Both bikes look eye catching. I gather your black beasty would have quite a song to be heard with those pipes? :)

now :

GSX-R1100 (streetfighter styling. bought cheap on baht&sold and still needs lots done but looks great!)

NC29 CBR400RR (got a buyer for this now, so it's going. loved it though - an absolute PEACH of a bike)

Honda AirBlade Scooter - (nice little bike)

had :

Guzzi V50

Suzuki GS550

Suzuki GSX-R750

Thanks for the kind words CB. Unfortunately I don't get to ride her that much with being overseas working most of the time. :annoyed:

I know that feeling...start of November when weather is getting better, I had to come to UK for 3 weeks of training courses, then I fly direct to Angola for 2 months work on Saturday before I get to play on my baby again. Luckily I scored a new job for next year which will be 28/28 rotation and leave me much more riding time. :)

Photos don't do them justice by the looks. Both bikes look eye catching. I gather your black beasty would have quite a song to be heard with those pipes? :)

Thanks. Yeah, the black one is loud, almost too loud. I like a low rumble, but these sound a little "tinny" or higher pitched than I prefer. I have not had the time to shop around for a better set of pipes.

Thanks. Yeah, the black one is loud, almost too loud. I like a low rumble, but these sound a little "tinny" or higher pitched than I prefer. I have not had the time to shop around for a better set of pipes.

Buy a Harley, when I start mine: car alarms, dogs, infants goes off, lol ;)

Okay waiting for incoming flack. B)

Buy a Harley, when I start mine: car alarms, dogs, infants goes off, lol ;)

Okay waiting for incoming flack. B)

I won't flame you. I am a believer in loud pipes save lives. But, I do prefer a less loud bike. I really like the rumble of a Harley, but without quite the volume. Actually, I would rather listen to a loud @ss bike bike like a Harley or v-twin Honda over a loud @ss modified racing scooter anyday.

post-65746-0-95263000-1290190428_thumb.jpost-65746-0-06372900-1290190434_thumb.j

Edited by floridaguy

post-65746-0-06372900-1290190434_thumb.jpg

@floridaguy, love that picture! I can almost hear the race commentary now..

"...and it's a final sprint for the checkered flag.. but what's this??.. Team Khao Neow are pulling out of the slipstream of Team Rothmans and making their bid for victory. There's no stopping them. They're into second... and still moving fast.. 50 metres to go and they've squeezed past the lead bike and into first place.. they cross the line to take win!. The local supporters are on their feet and going crazy... It's all over!!"

:shock1:

Cheers

P

Edited by ThePedroDB

Now I have a Mio . . .

BUT

A few years ago when I lived in BKK I had one of the few Honda X-11's (Naked Blackbird) in Thailand. Beautiful bike, black with a '11' plate. Got it dirt cheap from a well off Thai guy who lived up near Kasertsart Uni and used to import bikes for fun. The ignition was broken when I first saw it, so I guess it fell off the back of a lorry in Tokyo. :ermm: Only cost 140K +50K for the Green book. Two years later sold it for 220K through Peter at Siam Super Bike. Anyone here got it now?

Before that an old CB-1. An Aussie mate bought it off me and it's now used as the family runabout by his Thai family in Isaan.

Not sure it qualifies as "big" but I have a VFR400NC30 . . . nice little pocket rocket for nipping about on, not so great going to 7/11 tho lol

Tats

I think anything from 400cc up is called big i LOS, you can go on your bike to different bike meetings and so on. But this is off course subject to personal preferences, Thai made bikes was app. 125-150cc before, so........

Photos??

I would concur. 400cc+ in Thailand is considered "big". In the USA, that's considered small cc. Even the 600cc's are still considered "middleweights".

Any Japanese 400-600 cc bike will leave an 883, 1450, or 1550 Harley in the dust. this is the fallacy of ranking bikes by how big the engine is.

Not sure it qualifies as "big" but I have a VFR400NC30 . . . nice little pocket rocket for nipping about on, not so great going to 7/11 tho lol

Tats

I think anything from 400cc up is called big i LOS, you can go on your bike to different bike meetings and so on. But this is off course subject to personal preferences, Thai made bikes was app. 125-150cc before, so........

Photos??

I would concur. 400cc+ in Thailand is considered "big". In the USA, that's considered small cc. Even the 600cc's are still considered "middleweights".

Any Japanese 400-600 cc bike will leave an 883, 1450, or 1550 Harley in the dust. this is the fallacy of ranking bikes by how big the engine is.

It's not how big yours is, it is how you use it.

And what about the fallacy of ranking bikes by how fast they will go? I don't have a Harley, and never want to, but so what? My 200cc dirt bike will thrash your 400cc+ road bike on many of the back roads around here, but I don't consider it a big bike. Taking the obsession with speed to its conclusion, if you wanted to move house you'd go and rent a Ferrari? After all, it's obviously bigger than a moving van because it would leave it in the dust. Bikes are made for a purpose, whether it be chugging along in a laid back position making a lot of noise, screaming along with your knees around your ears, or chewing through mud. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. I have a total of four bikes, the afore mentioned dirt bike, and three 1000cc+ ones. I'm not even going to say what they are, because I couldn't care less what others think of them. They each have different roles, and to me they are the best at what they are designed to do. Not just the best I could find in Thailand, but the best anywhere. No matter where I lived in the world I would still have the same bikes. That's my opinion, others may scorn it, others may say "you lucky bastard", I don't really care. I didn't choose them according to what others may think. I chose them because I wanted them.

Edited by ballpoint

Well, technically, I don't have a big bike in Thailand since I won't be arriving there until February but I do ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic and will be looking for a new one when I get to Chiang Mai. I may have to carry smelling salts with me when I go to the dealer though. I can by the new Vulcan here for about $8,500.00 U.S. as opposed to around $15,000.00 new in LOS.

It is a great bike though so I'll bite the bullet and get one there.

David

And what about the fallacy of ranking bikes by how fast they will go? I don't have a Harley, and never want to, but so what? My 200cc dirt bike will thrash your 400cc+ road bike on many of the back roads around here, but I don't consider it a big bike. Taking the obsession with speed to its conclusion, if you wanted to move house you'd go and rent a Ferrari? After all, it's obviously bigger than a moving van because it would leave it in the dust. Bikes are made for a purpose, whether it be chugging along in a laid back position making a lot of noise, screaming along with your knees around your ears, or chewing through mud. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. I have a total of four bikes, the afore mentioned dirt bike, and three 1000cc+ ones. I'm not even going to say what they are, because I couldn't care less what others think of them. They each have different roles, and to me they are the best at what they are designed to do. Not just the best I could find in Thailand, but the best anywhere. No matter where I lived in the world I would still have the same bikes. That's my opinion, others may scorn it, others may say "you lucky bastard", I don't really care. I didn't choose them according to what others may think. I chose them because I wanted them.

Come-on ballpoint tell us what you got, I am curios. Above well said.

• 2 months later...

To each their own but I personally having lived here two years and ridden here in the North for over ten I personally do not see much need for anything much over 400 cc. Granted, many of you may be considerably younger, weight less than I, and certainly have much more money to spend. What do I have? The ultra reliable old Honda GL 400. It is the baby of the CX/GL500 and 650's the London couriers rode and abused for years and years. Direct drive. Great unique sound. Cheap compared to other 400's, nimble, 40 HP, great low torque, good high end. Given that this is a 400 cc downsized from an original 500 (or 650) cc engine it should last well beyond my needs. Many suggest 500,000 km with oil changes and simple maintenance alone, and with an excellent internet forum, answers to questions and expert advise is only minutes away.

There is an old one, restored, traveling from Vancouver BC to South America right now.

AND, it you want to RAT, BOOB or Chop it to your own style, they are cheap enough to have your way with it., though mine is straight.

NEW%20BIKE%20BUILD%20055%20sm%20%281%29.jpg

Just IMHO.