Alcohol Related Deaths Kill 3 Thais Every Hour On Average

webfact

Thai Health: 3 Thai drinkers die every hour

BANGKOK, 15 November 2010 (NNT) -The Thai Health Promotion Foundation (Thai Health) has revealed a frightening figure, stating that drinking kills 26,000 people, an average of three per hour, each year.

The report said deaths in alcohol-related road accidents accounted for one-third of all casualties. It also stated that the number of teenagers, aged 15-19, who took to drinking had been rising at an alarming rate. Around 2.5 million people around the world die from drinking every year.

5 million Thais, aged 15-59 years old, drink regularly. Of the number, 3 million have become alcoholics; only two percent of the 3 million have sought treatment.

The Center for Alcohol Studies stated that Thailand imported 6.8-billion-baht's worth of alcoholic drinks each year; 80 percent of which were from Europe. The Center was worried that if the Thai-EU free trade negotiation, scheduled for next year, did not set a limit on the import of spirits; more people would become addicted to alcohol. It added that, as preventive policies against alcohol would be in conflict with the FTA, it would be even more difficult to control alcohol consumption.

A seminar, ‘Alcohol in the Globalized World’, will be held at Rama Garden Hotel on November 22-23. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva will give an opening speech on "The Reform of Alcohol Policies, The Reform of Thailand's Future" at the event.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-11-17 footer_n.gif

The Center was worried that if the Thai-EU free trade negotiation, scheduled for next year, did not set a limit on the import of spirits; more people would become addicted to alcohol.

I'm sure lowering taxes on 2000 baht bottles of French wine is what will really increase alcoholism, and not 30 baht bottles of rice whiskey rot gut

• Like 1

The Center was worried that if the Thai-EU free trade negotiation, scheduled for next year, did not set a limit on the import of spirits; more people would become addicted to alcohol.

I'm sure lowering taxes on 2000 baht bottles of French wine is what will really increase alcoholism, and not 30 baht bottles of rice whiskey rot gut

"5 million Thais, aged 15-59 years old, drink regularly. Of the number, 3 million have become alcoholics; only two percent of the 3 million have sought treatment." - From the OP

If, and I am sceptical about it, these statistics are true, then 60% of Thai regular drinkers are alcoholic. They are not drinking expensive European premium brands. They are drinking the cheap local brands that "The Centre" is seems so keen to protect. The Thai-EU free trade negotiations are not the problem - the problem already exists. Sadly, this appears to be yet another case of blame the foreigner while the authorities do nothing. Anonther day in LOS.

"The Center for Alcohol Studies stated that Thailand imported 6.8-billion-baht's worth of alcoholic drinks each year; 80 percent of which were from Europe. The Center was worried that if the Thai-EU free trade negotiation, scheduled for next year, did not set a limit on the import of spirits; more people would become addicted to alcohol"

Blatant blame the foreigner game again. It should be obvious, even to Thai alcoholics, that the majority of drunks beating their wives in Thailand are drinking cheap local Thai produced alcohol.

But the producers of this "commodity" are not interested in "a limit" on this because they would lose some money, and their friends in the government would lose some credibility and support.

This isn't Abhisit saying this but

"The Thai Health Promotion Foundation (Thai Health) has revealed a frightening figure,"

I wonder who backs them, might be similar to those tobacco financed research groups purporting to for the health of the public in name, but more typically protect the big tobaccos hold on the debate about smoking and health. Since it clearly is NOT targeting the products that do the most damage to Thais.

Edited by animatic

That is a lot of booze. According to what I have read so far on this forum it is all consumed by Farangs. It may be and is a attempt to blame foreigners for the problem.

I was wondering how many of those foreigners drinking all that alcohol are alcoholic and what percentage seek treatment?

Kind of ironic the more we claim the Thai's don't drink it the more of a load we take on.:D

"The Center for Alcohol Studies stated that Thailand imported 6.8-billion-baht's worth of alcoholic drinks each year; 80 percent of which were from Europe."

Yeah, they should close down all the little wine shops that you see in every moo baan with Thai gentlemen slowly sipping their merlots and chardonays and getting back on their motorcycles and driving off in a wine induced stupor!!

Is that why the impot duties are so high on the 'evil imported wine'?? Refined Thai rice farmers never touch the cheap local swill.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

• Like 1

Sad but true.

Remember we are humans and we will always be imperfect within someones eyes.

But as humans we must die each and every day. According to the band Blue Oyster Cult it's 10,000 each day? Rather you believe in a higher being or not, the truth remains, we are only here on this planet for a limited time (unless someone has proof otherwise). We cannot solve all mankind's problems and perhaps they are not problems at all but really just "spokes in the wheel"?, My brother was killed by a drunk driver. Was it fate or accident? My brother won the lottery and has all the wealth he ever wished for was it fate or accident? Just a thought.

Sad but true.

But as humans we must die each and every day. According to the band Blue Oyster Cult it's 10,000 each day? Rather you believe in a higher being or not, the truth remains, we are only here on this planet for a limited time (unless someone has proof otherwise). We cannot solve all mankind's problems and perhaps they are not problems at all but really just "spokes in the wheel"?, My brother was killed by a drunk driver. Was it fate or accident? My brother won the lottery and has all the wealth he ever wished for was it fate or accident? Just a thought.

Come on...being killed by a drunk driver is murder. Plain and simple. Winning the lottery is pure luck.

The problem with road related deaths is the horribly poor and corrupt police. In most "civilized" countries, if you get caught driving after just a few drinks, you get a HUGE find, points on your license, and a huge increase in your insurance. Here, pay a few baht...normally...and you are on your way. Until they start effectively policing the roads, nothing will change. Oh...and policing selling of liquor to minors...

This is a ridiculous news report.

Is it any wonder that there are Thai alcoholics? When I lived up in the village years ago, the morning heart starter was a 5 baht shot of Lao Khao. I am sure the tradition continues today. :ermm:

It sure does....and continues until the bottle is gone. I've traveled a lot, and been in a lot of countries...Thai's drink more than almost any other country I have been to...at least the men do...

That is a lot of booze. According to what I have read so far on this forum it is all consumed by Farangs. It may be and is a attempt to blame foreigners for the problem.

I was wondering how many of those foreigners drinking all that alcohol are alcoholic and what percentage seek treatment?

Kind of ironic the more we claim the Thai's don't drink it the more of a load we take on.:D

I am the only farang living in my village (others visit), the local shops only sell alcohol brands for the local Thai market. If I want an imported brand I have to go to the city where there are enough farangs for the supermarkets to stock them.

I have two points. The first is that these evil foreign brands are imported to mainly supply the farang and tourist markets. The second point is that alcohol abuse is widespread. It is not confined to tourist/farang areas.

If the statistics in the OP are accurate, Thailand has a serious domestic problem caused by abuse of domestic products.

Sad but true.

Come on...being killed by a drunk driver is murder. Plain and simple. Winning the lottery is pure luck.

The problem with road related deaths is the horribly poor and corrupt police. In most "civilized" countries, if you get caught driving after just a few drinks, you get a HUGE find, points on your license, and a huge increase in your insurance. Here, pay a few baht...normally...and you are on your way. Until they start effectively policing the roads, nothing will change. Oh...and policing selling of liquor to minors...

Murder plain and simple may be true I'm just looking to a bigger picture that actions may happen with or without our input. Yes, the choice must be made to drink and drive but what about the "freak" accident such as a tree falling and killing someone? Who do we blame? (no lawyer inputs here please). If a "innocent" couple was traveling to town to get groceries at 8 p.m. and hit and killed by a drunk driver was it Gods will? Was it an accident? Was it predetermined fate? Is the reason that thousands if not millions worldwide drive home safely while under the influence of alcohol daily bring any closure to those who die from the use of cell phones or driving too sleepy? Believe me if your drunk you shouldn't drive but at the same time your shouldn't talk on the cell, text, read a book, paint your nails, or any other thing that would distract you. Then again, alcohol amonst other drugs is a great starter for foul play.

Sad but true.

Murder plain and simple may be true I'm just looking to a bigger picture that actions may happen with or without our input. Yes, the choice must be made to drink and drive but what about the "freak" accident such as a tree falling and killing someone? Who do we blame? (no lawyer inputs here please). If a "innocent" couple was traveling to town to get groceries at 8 p.m. and hit and killed by a drunk driver was it Gods will? Was it an accident? Was it predetermined fate? Is the reason that thousands if not millions worldwide drive home safely while under the influence of alcohol daily bring any closure to those who die from the use of cell phones or driving too sleepy? Believe me if your drunk you shouldn't drive but at the same time your shouldn't talk on the cell, text, read a book, paint your nails, or any other thing that would distract you. Then again, alcohol amonst other drugs is a great starter for foul play.

I understand your arguments, but this is about alcohol related deaths...not "freak" accidents. If you are hit and killed by a drunk driver, it is murder. Pre-meditated. No accident. You don't accidentally get drunk and then accidentally get into a car and start driving.

The other activities you mention are actually illegal in many countries. The US has strict laws on NOT using your cell while driving. If you do, and are in an accident, it's your fault. Makes sense. Same is true for other activities that distract your attention from the road. I have a good friend in Texas. Doesn't drink, reads the bible, honest family man. Was driving home and a bee flew into his open window. He took his eye off the road and hit and killed a cop giving somebody a ticket on the side of the road. They ruled it was his fault. For sure it wasn't the cops fault he got killed....

Well, I can't top the bee in the car story but I'm sure your honest family friend felt very sorry for the accident. Perhaps the family of the family of the officer can find forgiveness and closure.

Edited by cdnvic
no need to quote a page full of text for a one line comment

Sad but true.

Agreed, and quite frankly who gives a shyt anyway. The Thais certainly don't, Two killed on the roads every hour 24/7, two suicides in BKK every hour (were the published figures) now 3x alcohol deaths every hour. Thats 7x / hour.

Now how many murders?? A good question but the answer means nothing (unless you're a victim)

Sad but true.

Agreed, and quite frankly who gives a shyt anyway. The Thais certainly don't, Two killed on the roads every hour 24/7, two suicides in BKK every hour (were the published figures) now 3x alcohol deaths every hour. Thats 7x / hour.

Now how many murders?? A good question but the answer means nothing (unless you're a victim)

Bizzare post. You mean the mother of a Thai teen who was killed by a drunk driver doesn't care. That's a stupid statement. Having a bad day, maybe?

I would imagine the owner of Red Bull distilleries has a vested interest in keeping foreign imports out. Most of my village drink 285 whisky, the poorer ones drink the local gut rot, which incidentally I buy and use as a paint cleaner and sink disinfectant. 

I certainly agree that it is not the imported booze that is the culprit, here an extract of the Duty and Taxes on imported wines from the US Agricultural department:

:ph34r:

Effective Duty and Tax Burden for Wine by Exporting Country

Pricing

A CIF Invoice Value of Imported Wine $100.00

B Tariff (Import Duty): A x 54% $ 54.00

C Excise Tax Paid: Excise Tax Rate x (CIF value+import duty+excise tax paid+municipal tax) or 1.7647059(A+B) $271.76

D Municipal tax: C x 10% $ 27.17

E Health tax: C x 2% $ 5.44

F Value Added Tax: (A+B+C+D+E) x 7% $ 32.09

G Total Cost: (A+B+C+D+E+F) $490.46 Effective Duty and Tax Burden 390.46%

Valid for USA, France, Italy, Chile and other countries under WTO agreement

Tariff Rate 54% Effective Duty and Tax 390.46%

Australia Tariff Rate 24% Effective Duty and Tax 294.92%

New Zealand Tariff Rate 18% Effective Duty & Tax 275.81%

Not really a good reason to become alcoholic.

:jap:

Enjoy your drink, it is expensive enough...

Edited by flemmie

Is it any wonder that there are Thai alcoholics? When I lived up in the village years ago, the morning heart starter was a 5 baht shot of Lao Khao. I am sure the tradition continues today. :ermm:

It sure does....and continues until the bottle is gone. I've traveled a lot, and been in a lot of countries...Thai's drink more than almost any other country I have been to...at least the men do...

10 Baht for 1 liter in a plastic bag here. No wonder the father inlaw has no brain cells left.

10 Baht for 1 liter in a plastic bag here. No wonder the father inlaw has no brain cells left.

OMG! Unreal...

Not only in the boonies, the local momanpop on the corner of my soi here, right here in the middle of farangland, refills empty bottles of Red Bull with the sht daily and sells glasses by the shot for the local construction workers.

Well the story I heard was that Thailand ranks number six in the world for alcoholism. Don't know about that but with my limited travel

(9 countries) it looks true to me. Also they are high up in the order for murder. Don't know if they count the terrorists into that figure.

I keep removing posts full of profanities. If you can't get your point across without them please stop posting and wasting your time.

As Alan the chronic Tourette's Syndrome sufferer cries pitifully " Where can I find an outlet to share my opinions, hopes and dreams? WHERE? WHERE? BIG FAT DOG'S GONADS!" :D