Are Swedish Tour Operators Covering Up The Threat Of Deadly Jellyfish In Thailand

webfact

yes Australia

Box Jellyfish-

One of the more deadly animals on the face of the Earth, also called "Sea Wasp". The toxin present on the tentacles is so strong, that survivors describe it more as an electrical shock than a burn. Cardio-Respiratory functions may stop in just 3 minutes, and mouth to mouth resuscitation and first aid procedures are essential to keep the victim alive. The box jellyfish is responsible for more deaths in Australia than snakes, sharks, and salt water crocodiles put together.

1,000,000 World deaths per year from mosquitoes! ,120,000,000 infected with malaria, same/same motor accidents 1,000,000 deaths , and 50,000,000 injured

The mosquito is the deadliest animal.

Motorcycles kill the most tourists and 'suicides' is higher rate for expats than the averages of home countries,

balconies and roof tops are way more dangerous than jellyfish

You really need to take a couple of courses - one in risk assessment and another in critical thinking.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spent most of my life in Hawaii before coming to Thailand a few years ago. First of all, there are life-guards at most of the heavily populated beaches in Hawaii to protect the health and safety of swimmers.

Secondly, the State will issue warnings when it is known that the ocean has large amounts of jelly fish in waters near shore. The most common jellyfish in Hawaii is the Portuguese man of war.

I have been stung several times by the man of war. It was very painful but left no lasting affects. However, some people are very allergic to jellyfish - and it is usually the same people who are allergic to bee stings. In the case of such allergies, the sting can be fatal.

There is absolutely no good reason to cover-up naturally occurring phenomena in the ocean -- especially when people's lives are at risk.

All countries should be responsible in advising their own citizens, as well as visitors, when there are dangerous conditions in the ocean environment.

Although I concur with your sentiments- I feel I ought to reiterate - Deaths from the Box Jelly are NOT from allergic reaction - they are due to the powerful effects of the venom.

I kayak everyday in the Golf of Thailand and see several box yellyfish every week.

Nobody talk about it.

About 3 years ago,I never saw them.

Who are making a joke about it are idiots.mad.gif

The infamous box jellyfish developed its frighteningly powerful venom to instantly stun or kill prey, like fish and shrimp, so their struggle to escape wouldn’t damage its delicate tentacles.

Their venom is considered to be among the most deadly in the world, containing toxins that attack the heart, nervous system, and skin cells. It is so overpoweringly painful, human victims have been known to go into shock and drown or die of heart failure before even reaching shore. Survivors can experience considerable pain for weeks and often have significant scarring where the tentacles made contact.

Thanks for the exc info - definitely worth filing away.

Brewsta

This is terribly sad news no matter if you think box jellyfish are a problem in Thailand or not. I have commented a fair bit over the past few years on this subject having been caught up first hand in a life-threatening box jellyfish sting in Thailand. There appear to be plenty of experts offering advice on the topic which is fair enough though potentially dangerous. Someone said that rubbing sand on the stings is a good idea - well, rubbing sand on the sting of a 11 year old Swedish girl on Koh Lanta a few years ago is probably what killed her. There are several species of box jellyfish. The big one is the Chironex species (in Australia it is Chironex fleckeri, in Thailand it is slightly different, as it is in the Philippines etc) and someone here also said if it wraps its tentacles around you then you will drown - for god's sake it's not an octopus or giant squid; Chironex is THE most venomous animal on the planet. A snake or spider will kill you in a matter of hours, this jellyfish will do it in minutes or seconds and it does not have more than 5000 stinging cells per tentacle, it has around 1000000 per 1cm of tentacle. And if you are stung you need to pour vinegar on the tentacles BEFORE you pull them off (or more cells are injected) and you must do this for at least 30 seconds ( = big bottle!).

Here are some facts that are on a blog on the topic http://thaiboxjellyf...wobbly-box.html

There are probably more Scandinavian visitors to Thailand getting injured or killed in traffic accidents, drownings, food poisonings, etc etc than box jellyfish so they probably feel they have no obligation to pass information on to their customers. But as is evident here on this forum and all over is that there is huge ignorance regarding box jellyfish. People know about traffic, most about swimming, tasting/sensing rancid food etc but not these jellyfish that are a real threat, they are in the water, they do not get washed up like other jellyfish because they have vision and can swim to avoid floating to shore, just like they can avoid human legs and most often do. Knowing about them, being aware, understanding the risk, taking proper precautions where required - what is wrong with this? This approach works in Australia and tourism is still booming. The government in Thailand is limited by resources as they put their money into bigger issues with big kill counts. They do make an effort, though a bigger one is required. Doctors will do as they are instructed and they need to be educated. Resort owners need to take responsibility also in increasing awareness.

In Langkawi Malaysia in July this year around 200 tourists were hospitalised with irukandji stings (a type of box jellyfish also in Thailand). This is a problem that will not go away and may well increase, statistics are suggesting this, Swedish tour operators and all those mentioned here need to be honest and upfront - there are deadly box jellyfish in Thailand, they are not a big problem in fact lethal stings are relatively rare, but it happens and people die and get badly injured every year, "this is what you need to know......" They will still come.

THere are still some posters here who seem to be laboring under the impression that ALL jelly fish are te same - with the box jelly species this is not the case - it isn't just a particularly nasty kind of jellyfish, it's venom is one of the most toxic to humans on the planet. and as I understand it, it is quite different in composition to many jellyfish stings or other bites and stings you may encounter in the sea - tat is why the treatment of t is unique and I STILL haven't come across any "creams"!!

Sea turtles eat box jellyfish. Maybe we should stop eating the turtles and their eggs.

THere are SEVERAL reasons or theories as to why the "attacks" are more common.Probably a combination of some,all or more of the following.

• More swimmers in the sea.
  • Better reporting
  • Better diagnosis by doctors
  • More jelly fish.....why?
  • Because their habitat is changing - possibly due to global warming
  • Tides and currents may have changed causing the population of appear elsewhere.
  • THey spawn in mangroves/estuaries - these have been destroyed by developers and it is possible that they have moved to new breeding grounds.
  • OR

• THeir main predator is threatened by hunting pollution and loss of habitat - the turltes

The only way to get some of these Jellyfish off and some relief with vinegar. The resorts I used to stay at when you asked for vinegar they didn't know what it was when you spoke English but in Thai they knew. Just would like to say there should be a little safety training when people pay some big bucks sometimes to go on a holiday.

You won't get RELIEF with vinegar - it is not an antidote it prevents further injections.

THe pain is said to be excruciating.

THese are not just ANY jellyfish - yes there are plenty of jellyfish in the Andaman and the Gulf, but even the ones that sting are nowhere near as dangerous as the Box jelly - it is one of the most toxic venoms to humans that exists.

If the numbers are increasing or for what ever reasons "attacks" are increasing, tourists need to know about it.

BTW - if you are concerned, you can swim in "rash suits" (a la Thorpedo) or even wearing panty-hose over your torso and legs can offer protection!

Ice also helps and there are creams now on the market, but make no mistake the pain is excruciating and does not go away in 1 day. As i said in my previous post, when i was bitten on glans, i was crying like a little girl because the pain goes through your entire body, getting every single muscle, feels like body been pulled apart

THis is NONSENSE - if you are bitten by a box jelly you will probably die if someone administers ice to you as it will only increase the injection of venom....these are NOT the usual jellyfish!!!!after you are in te hands of a doctor then let them choose what to do.....and there's no guarantee in Thailand they will know as the govt etc have issued no guidelines. If you want to know what to do look up an Australian site.

I'd also like to know where in Thailand you can by "creams" for a box jelly sting - they don't "bite"

I have to agree with your posts on this topic. Box jellyfish can be and are deadly to humans. I have been to Queensland Australia and they put nets in the water to protect a swimming area at certain times of the year. I have seen many types of jellyfish here in Phuket and in the waters of California where I grew up. Since the 1960's in California, lifeguard towers had a spay bottle filled with vinegar to help relieve jellyfish stings. There have been warnings here in Phuket in the past few years that the Box jellyfish is coming this way. Mostly they said in the Pha Nah Bay area. They thought the Adaman Sea's salt level was to high for it to come there, but who knows for sure. I sure wouldn't want to be the one to find out! People who don't grow up around the ocean seem to be unaware how deadly it can be!

I was stung by a jelly a few years ago in murky water while surfing at Laem Mae Pim beach in Rayong. No way to determine what kind of jelly as I never saw it but despite almost immediate treatment with vinegar it took MONTHS for the wounds to heal and I still have a nice scar on my leg from where the bastard got me. The few Thai doctors I consulted had absolutely no knowledge about jelly fish stings or how to treat them (and I rather suspect that is why my scar is as bad as it is.) Been stung by plenty of other jellies while surfing in Hawaii and Japan but never as bad as the one that got me in Thailand.

Judging from some of the asinine comments here there is definitely a lack of public awareness about this danger.

Been stung by several jellies over the years a couple of times in Hua hin, still got the scars from one of them.

Worst I have had was alone on my own boat, quite close to the rocks when a tenticle of a jelly flipped off a rope and up my nose, couldnt see and didnt know where I was going for 10 min, lucky I got out of that one as there was a bit of a sea running at the time

But have never come accross a box jelly.

Previous posters on here have got it spot on about the danger of the things.

Fortunatly they are quite rare and usually seasonal.

There are warnings posted in Hua hin when jellies arrive and they, quite big blue ones, can be seen on the beach, to be avoided.

As has also been stated you are more likely to be killed or injured by other means in TL or anywhere.

But still a danger to be aware of.

Been swimming on and off all my life the north coast of Oz. Box jelly fish are no joke.

Sister inlaw still bares the scares from a box jelly. She has been a matron in Townsville hospital for many many years.

Treatment is vinagar first. Get rid of all the tenticles left on the skin then pack in Ice. Immersion in hot water releaves the pain as well.

The box jelly fish is different than the irukandji.

The box as people have been saying on here are quit big and seen from under the water, the only way to see them, are very very pretty.

The Irukandji, as i hope I have remembered correctly, have only recently been found to be the cause in stinger deaths in Oz. They are very small and difficult to see even from under the water.

In my times swimming on the reef you are constantly doing a 360 turn serching for all dangers but the one you are moslyt looking for is the box.

Seeing touries trunssed up in stockings from head to foot diving meters from you when you are just in a pair of bordies makes you think more than twice.

I have been stung by blue bottles and other types which are painfull enough I dread the thought of a Box sting.

Other nasties just as painfull and deadly are stone fish and the blue ringed octopuss. isnt Oz great with all its cuddly animals.

Edited by boggle

Stupidity rules. the Swedish evening newspaper is a funny one and that when the Swedes are covering up the threat of deadly cars in their streets. Ever wondered what will happen when you are hit by one of them...... It is a big big threat.I assume that there are riskier things in life than being killed by jellyfish. The chance of being killed in a Bangkok street by the army is really much bigger. Ans yes Jellyfish kill sometimes, just like elephants.

How dare you say that VOLVO's are deadly

I had a '62 volvo that was quite deadly when the door would sometimes fall off and sometimes a wheel.

Nonetheless, there should be some educational material given out to doctors and boat captains throughout Thailand about the truth of box jelly's.

I don't often comment on stuff, but since I'm an Aussie and we grew up knowing about box jellyfish, I'm throwing in my 2 cents.

They live in tropical waters, extending to the east and west coasts of Thailand from northern Australia. So, they've been here longer than all of us. Given the infrequent number of deaths and apparent general knowledge, either the media is totally inadequate; local culture and indigenous knowledge has missed a biggie; or box jellyfish aren't a real issue compared to say northern Australia.

• A simple rule i worked out a while ago whilst swimming in Hua Hin area (10yrs +). The white jelly's with big bodies and stumpy tentacles hurt. But it'll be mostly gone in a few days to a week. They're no worse than the garden variety that you get everywhere.
  • I believe (from anecdotal comments) as they get more brown colour into them, they start to resemble the pain and scarring of being blow-torched. but still not likely to be fatal. Perhaps because its hard to get sufficient body mass poisoned by these kinds of jelly, or perhaps because they have different venom types (though kids vs the huge ones (1-2 feet across the 'bell') may not fare so well. most of these jellies have short tentacles, limiting big contact.
  • I've never seen a box type jelly fish in Hua Hin, (but hua hin water is not very clear is it!!) Still, they theoretically do exist in these waters. I don't know the seasonality, in Australia its only in summer they are close into shore. That's probably the most interesting question to ask out of all this.
  • I don't see anyone (qualified) has actually identified any of the jellyfish in question. Seeing tentacles might be somewhat indicative, but not conclusive of the species. These fatalities may have been from the box jelly, or might be an anaphylactic reaction to any of the species. A post mortem with toxicology might give some idea. Doesn't appear this has been done (pretty sure the local hospitals wouldn't have the capacity for it).
  • In addition (speculative), if the victim was in the water, and the head wasn't properly supported out of the water after the attack, the death may have been drowning since the victims aren't real capable at the time of doing much for themselves. The pain really is that bad.
  • The amount of contact needed to kill an adult is quite a bit. most people survive with pain and scarring a brief brush with a tentacle. The lack of detail on the burn type injuries suggests that it might have been a reaction to any kind of jellyfish.
  • What makes the box jelly so dangerous is long, streaming tentacles that people manage to wrap around themselves. This gives a big dose of venom. As suggested elsewhere is to swim in a nylon rash vest so that less bare skin is exposed. this also helps prevent sunburn!! the venom injections are tiny, so one layer of fabric is enough to protect you.
  • Kids definitely should wear a decent almost full body rash vest/pants. smaller body mass and long tentacles is almost certainly a fatality. This will probably help for any jellyfish (We see plenty of white ones), and it really helps for the sunburn.
  • Bottle of vinegar is a good idea in the kit bag for the beach. (and if its not jellyfish season, poms can put it on their chips).

Personally, I swim at the beach most weekends (doing laps between the headlands), I do detours round the white jellyfish, skip it if i see brown ones, but am much more worried about the 2m cobra skin i found at the bottom of the garden.

(just chatted with the Doctor who works with us, and he has no idea of any endemic problem with a fatal variety of jellyfish)

If the links below don't make it thru, have a look at wikipedia for Chironex fleckeri

And, condolences to the families. :-(

http://www.marine-medic.com.au/pages/biology/biologyBreakup/jellyfishChironex.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironex_fleckeri

Covering up box jelly fish stings...what about the drownings down at Kata and Karon beaches at Phuket?There were 5 drownings in the one week when we were there last year and we actually saw a German guy drowning..very distressing but even worse 20 minutes later a mother was playing with her baby in the same spot...no one warning her !!!Bloody crazy!!

yes Australia

Box Jellyfish-

One of the more deadly animals on the face of the Earth, also called "Sea Wasp". The toxin present on the tentacles is so strong, that survivors describe it more as an electrical shock than a burn. Cardio-Respiratory functions may stop in just 3 minutes, and mouth to mouth resuscitation and first aid procedures are essential to keep the victim alive. The box jellyfish is responsible for more deaths in Australia than snakes, sharks, and salt water crocodiles put together.

1,000,000 World deaths per year from mosquitoes! ,120,000,000 infected with malaria, same/same motor accidents 1,000,000 deaths , and 50,000,000 injured

The mosquito is the deadliest animal.

Motorcycles kill the most tourists and 'suicides' is higher rate for expats than the averages of home countries,

balconies and roof tops are way more dangerous than jellyfish

You really need to take a couple of courses - one in risk assessment and another in critical thinking.

Maybe he meant per critter?

I don't often comment on stuff, but since I'm an Aussie and we grew up knowing about box jellyfish, I'm throwing in my 2 cents.

They live in tropical waters, extending to the east and west coasts of Thailand from northern Australia. So, they've been here longer than all of us. Given the infrequent number of deaths and apparent general knowledge, either the media is totally inadequate; local culture and indigenous knowledge has missed a biggie; or box jellyfish aren't a real issue compared to say northern Australia.

• A simple rule i worked out a while ago whilst swimming in Hua Hin area (10yrs +). The white jelly's with big bodies and stumpy tentacles hurt. But it'll be mostly gone in a few days to a week. They're no worse than the garden variety that you get everywhere.
  • I believe (from anecdotal comments) as they get more brown colour into them, they start to resemble the pain and scarring of being blow-torched. but still not likely to be fatal. Perhaps because its hard to get sufficient body mass poisoned by these kinds of jelly, or perhaps because they have different venom types (though kids vs the huge ones (1-2 feet across the 'bell') may not fare so well. most of these jellies have short tentacles, limiting big contact.
  • I've never seen a box type jelly fish in Hua Hin, (but hua hin water is not very clear is it!!) Still, they theoretically do exist in these waters. I don't know the seasonality, in Australia its only in summer they are close into shore. That's probably the most interesting question to ask out of all this.
  • I don't see anyone (qualified) has actually identified any of the jellyfish in question. Seeing tentacles might be somewhat indicative, but not conclusive of the species. These fatalities may have been from the box jelly, or might be an anaphylactic reaction to any of the species. A post mortem with toxicology might give some idea. Doesn't appear this has been done (pretty sure the local hospitals wouldn't have the capacity for it).
  • In addition (speculative), if the victim was in the water, and the head wasn't properly supported out of the water after the attack, the death may have been drowning since the victims aren't real capable at the time of doing much for themselves. The pain really is that bad.
  • The amount of contact needed to kill an adult is quite a bit. most people survive with pain and scarring a brief brush with a tentacle. The lack of detail on the burn type injuries suggests that it might have been a reaction to any kind of jellyfish.
  • What makes the box jelly so dangerous is long, streaming tentacles that people manage to wrap around themselves. This gives a big dose of venom. As suggested elsewhere is to swim in a nylon rash vest so that less bare skin is exposed. this also helps prevent sunburn!! the venom injections are tiny, so one layer of fabric is enough to protect you.
  • Kids definitely should wear a decent almost full body rash vest/pants. smaller body mass and long tentacles is almost certainly a fatality. This will probably help for any jellyfish (We see plenty of white ones), and it really helps for the sunburn.
  • Bottle of vinegar is a good idea in the kit bag for the beach. (and if its not jellyfish season, poms can put it on their chips).

Personally, I swim at the beach most weekends (doing laps between the headlands), I do detours round the white jellyfish, skip it if i see brown ones, but am much more worried about the 2m cobra skin i found at the bottom of the garden.

(just chatted with the Doctor who works with us, and he has no idea of any endemic problem with a fatal variety of jellyfish)

If the links below don't make it thru, have a look at wikipedia for Chironex fleckeri

And, condolences to the families. :-(

http://www.marine-me...ishChironex.pdf

http://en.wikipedia....ironex_fleckeri

THere was a conference on these jellyfish and still I believe no-one has fully identified the species. THere are several species or sub-speies of box-jelly apparently and the ones here may not even be properly (scientifically) identified.

We don't have any idea of numbers yet as no-one has done any research.

"They live in tropical waters, extending to the east and west coasts of Thailand from northern Australia. So, they've been here longer than all of us. Given the infrequent number of deaths and apparent general knowledge, either the media is totally inadequate; local culture and indigenous knowledge has missed a biggie; or box jellyfish aren't a real issue compared to say northern Australia."

this is far from a comprehensive summary,

there are many more possible reasons for the "apparent" increase in deaths.

Where is the evidence this is being covered-up in Thailand?

There are similar fears of a cover up in Thailand from Scandinavian tour operators

It doesn't make clear who exactly is allegedly fearful, and saying Scandanavian tour operators in Thailand seems vague as well.

Most likely the author of the article is just manufacturing "facts" much in the same way many TV contributors (and selected former US presidents/ UK prime ministers) manufacture statistics, numbers, facts and history. It's a great time-saver.

Condolences to the guy who lost his wife – I would be beside myself if that should ever happen to me and none of the below is aimed at him. Sincerely sorry for your loss.

This is disgraceful reporting. Headline about a cover up in Thailand. Then 1.5 lines about a ‘suspected’ jelly fish incident in Thailand then 11 lines about a 2 year old incident in Malaysia.

Few points – JELLYFISH DO NOT ATTCK humans. They ‘may’ attack small fish and other prey. The animal kingdom kills to survive. A jelly fish would not ‘waste’ venom on something it CAN NOT eat – like anything the size of a human.

EVERYBODY in tourism EVERYWHERE in the world protects their business. It is not there job to point out potential dangers of a place. complain about the govt (maybe), but not the skandy tourism folks. they are doing their job same as evey one else it.

“Keep a bottle of white vinegar handy for treatment” this is hilarious and see the billy connelly sketch about why this is so funny. Would you expect the husband to have had this down his speedo’s as they where swimming. I am not saying Box’s are joke, but the idea of someone swimming around with a bottle of vinegar down their pants is.

“comments like the above are extremely unhelpful and show a lack of appreciation for the people killed and the risk involved” no actually it shows a good understanding of the risks involved – they are minimal. 55 deaths per year WORLDWIDE over the last 100 years. that is a minimal risk in anyones language.

The VAST majority of deaths are elderly and young. Not that this is OK but few healthy people of the age from 14-55 would be killed by the stingers.

Vinegar is a GOOD idea, read up about what to do before you go to the beach.

Deeral make up your mind do you get bitten or do they not bite…

Deeral “find out anything about these creatures in Thailand is VERY difficult” as you are on Thai Visa I am guessing you have internet?

“If tour operations are going to start a panic over jellyfish, they better add Motorbikes, Mini Buses tour buses, Tuk Tuks, high balconies, ungrounded electrical devices, and a wide range of other well known LOS hazards... ” exactly.

For those of you who think Jimmu is an expert – all they did was cut and paste from a website with no know facts behind it. http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/invertebrates/box-jellyfish/

Repeatedly saying ‘box jellyfish….’ Is like saying a ‘cat’ can tear you apart. Well Tiger can – a tabby is unlikely to. Irukanji is very different to other Box jellies.

The full Taxonomy is Class Cubozoa

Cut and paste from wiki.

Bored now but my original point was to state how sensationlist the article was when really it talked more about the Malay incident than the Thai incident. Oh and "attacked" – please.

G

I have seen jellyfish on the beach in Koh Chang, in the sea on several islands and off shore in the penned areas in Pattaya, its no that its a surprise to find them, but locally warnings should be posted so that people are aware of stings. I get the immpression that money is more important to the tourist industry that the comfort and safety of its customers, well they probably will holiday somewhere else in future but then thats Thailand's business ways and they dont go in he sea do they so its not their problem.

The only way to get some of these Jellyfish off and some relief with vinegar. The resorts I used to stay at when you asked for vinegar they didn't know what it was when you spoke English but in Thai they knew. Just would like to say there should be a little safety training when people pay some big bucks sometimes to go on a holiday.

You won't get RELIEF with vinegar - it is not an antidote it prevents further injections.

THe pain is said to be excruciating.

THese are not just ANY jellyfish - yes there are plenty of jellyfish in the Andaman and the Gulf, but even the ones that sting are nowhere near as dangerous as the Box jelly - it is one of the most toxic venoms to humans that exists.

If the numbers are increasing or for what ever reasons "attacks" are increasing, tourists need to know about it.

BTW - if you are concerned, you can swim in "rash suits" (a la Thorpedo) or even wearing panty-hose over your torso and legs can offer protection!

Ice also helps and there are creams now on the market, but make no mistake the pain is excruciating and does not go away in 1 day. As i said in my previous post, when i was bitten on glans, i was crying like a little girl because the pain goes through your entire body, getting every single muscle, feels like body been pulled apart

THis is NONSENSE - if you are bitten by a box jelly you will probably die if someone administers ice to you as it will only increase the injection of venom....these are NOT the usual jellyfish!!!!after you are in te hands of a doctor then let them choose what to do.....and there's no guarantee in Thailand they will know as the govt etc have issued no guidelines. If you want to know what to do look up an Australian site.

I'd also like to know where in Thailand you can by "creams" for a box jelly sting - they don't "bite"

Condolences to the guy who lost his wife – I would be beside myself if that should ever happen to me and none of the below is aimed at him. Sincerely sorry for your loss.

This is disgraceful reporting. Headline about a cover up in Thailand. Then 1.5 lines about a 'suspected' jelly fish incident in Thailand then 11 lines about a 2 year old incident in Malaysia.

Few points – JELLYFISH DO NOT ATTCK humans. They 'may' attack small fish and other prey. The animal kingdom kills to survive. A jelly fish would not 'waste' venom on something it CAN NOT eat – like anything the size of a human.

EVERYBODY in tourism EVERYWHERE in the world protects their business. It is not there job to point out potential dangers of a place. complain about the govt (maybe), but not the skandy tourism folks. they are doing their job same as evey one else it.

"Keep a bottle of white vinegar handy for treatment" this is hilarious and see the billy connelly sketch about why this is so funny. Would you expect the husband to have had this down his speedo's as they where swimming. I am not saying Box's are joke, but the idea of someone swimming around with a bottle of vinegar down their pants is.

"comments like the above are extremely unhelpful and show a lack of appreciation for the people killed and the risk involved" no actually it shows a good understanding of the risks involved – they are minimal. 55 deaths per year WORLDWIDE over the last 100 years. that is a minimal risk in anyones language.

The VAST majority of deaths are elderly and young. Not that this is OK but few healthy people of the age from 14-55 would be killed by the stingers.

Vinegar is a GOOD idea, read up about what to do before you go to the beach.

Deeral make up your mind do you get bitten or do they not bite…

Deeral "find out anything about these creatures in Thailand is VERY difficult" as you are on Thai Visa I am guessing you have internet?

"If tour operations are going to start a panic over jellyfish, they better add Motorbikes, Mini Buses tour buses, Tuk Tuks, high balconies, ungrounded electrical devices, and a wide range of other well known LOS hazards... " exactly.

For those of you who think Jimmu is an expert – all they did was cut and paste from a website with no know facts behind it. http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/invertebrates/box-jellyfish/

Repeatedly saying 'box jellyfish….' Is like saying a 'cat' can tear you apart. Well Tiger can – a tabby is unlikely to. Irukanji is very different to other Box jellies.

The full Taxonomy is Class Cubozoa

Cut and paste from wiki.

Bored now but my original point was to state how sensationlist the article was when really it talked more about the Malay incident than the Thai incident. Oh and "attacked" – please.

G

I'm not surprised to read this sort of post because it displays the lack of critical thinking so common on TV.

firstly -one should by now be able to read a news-cutting and be a bit critical about it.THe fact that it isn't really fact - shouldn't surprise anyone - but it seems to.

this is a post from someone who has spent a hour on Google and now thinks he knows enough about the topic to stick in a post.

Well you may have found out a bit for yourself, but you have a long way to go before you understand it.

THe issues surrounding this article are REALL though.as for research - I'm afraid google is a double-edged sword - those who research will know that - those who think because they can "google" they are getting at the source of all knowledge are sadly mistaken.one again has to apply critical thinking and analysis to anything one finds on Google. Let's face it they'll eve bring up Thaivisa from time to time.

the next thing is to read posts properly use some common sense band you will see that I certainly don't need to make up my mind about "stinging or biting" - - of course you may just want to split hairs or be obtuse. but hardly contributes to the thread

following on from reading you then need to use your powers of critical thought to form an opinion.

To dimiss the behavioural patterns of a box-hjelly that hasn't even been fully identified yet is jumping the gun.

THere is a lot of stuff to suggest they "hunt"It is also very clear they don't have "a brain" as such but do have eyes.

So when you suggest they don't hunt - you are really talking without considering the evidence.it is fair to assume that a jellyfish without a brain cannot differentiate between what is and isn't food but is subject to a series of reflex reactions that lead to to pursue just about anything - you seem to be assuming it can differentiate - I think that would be unlikely.

A purely numerical assessment of risk is not a true risk evaluation or a satisfactory approach to many "risky" situations as they are often quite out of the ordinary - this is part of human nature - if you really want to go down that road, may I suggest you first try and google and you'll at least get a vague idea of what it is all about. at present you are comparing apples and oranges.

Risk evaluation carries with it a concept of knowing about a risk and therefore avoiding it.

One can hardly say that the dangers of road traffic are "unknown" and as we are often in control of the vehicle ourselves we may be able to take evasive action.

If the government or other authorities decide not to publicise the dangers of the box jelly - for whatever reason - then the public is denied the right to make a decision about their personal behavior in relation to it.I think it is quite unlikely that most of the tourists in Thailand had ever heard of the Box Jelly let alone been informed of its presence in the waters around Thailand.In australia - the opposite is the case and the number of resulting deaths has certainly been limited.

THe real issue here therefore - cover-up or not, is that the general public are NOT being made aware of the potential dangers, the situations where the risk is highest, and worse still what to do in the event of an encounter with one of these animals.

Edited by Deeral

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

Same for me , but you need only one time . Everything can happen .

I'd have to agree.. "anything" can happen. It's no different than any other death from an exotic animal though isn't it. Not saying jelly fish are exotic, but the boxers have a nasty reputation....for the painful deaths they cause. Condolences for the families.

Indeed Graeme64 if you've bored yourself imagine how we feel .. I think if you'd read through the entire thread you'd see that the 'attack' ref is rubbish so thanks for that anyway, you are right about tour operators protecting their business as everyone knows, your billy connelly sketch bit is crap and why make fun of people thinking to keep a bottle of vinegar by their towel/sarong on the sand along with their bottle of water and a book, to comment on the husband of the deceased in this manner is just downright disrespectful and idiotic, get your facts right 55 deaths worldwide in 100 years - rubbish, where did you pull this from? 1 guess. But yes the risk is minimal, no denial, not the point. Few people between 14-55 killed hey? Where does this great fact come from? Again rubbish. Deeral makes sensible points unlike you. Finding out about box jellyfish specifically in Thailand is very difficult. Please name all the internet sites relating to box jellyfish in Thailand? The difference between motorbike safety, mini buses, high balconies etc is we know about these things from our experience in our home countries, sure there are variations here in Thailand but the risk is wel known so awareness is high and prevention can be initiated; no-one it seems knows much if anything about box jellyfish, so helpful posters like Deeral can enlighten as opposed to belittle. Thanks for the wiki taxonomy, anything in there about specific Thai species? No. None have been identified and classed, they are all different, there was a sting on Koh Pha ngan in September and a woman was stung by something resembling irukandji but suffered chironex like symptoms - please explain G?

there is information freely available on jellyfish in/around Thailand waters

Google Phuket aquarium jellyfish you will find video clips, news items, pdf document from 2008, 2009 and 2010

Or on this forum, thread here (posts 4 and 5 have links) VDO Interview Dr Somchai Bussarawit, Chief of Reference Collection & Phuket Aquarium on box jellyfish in Phuket & Krabi ...

I dont see much of a cover up except in Malaysia where the doctor cited cause of death to e drowning.

Not warning before the flight and then only warning them at the beach hotels is a bit deceptive.

Wikipedia has the prescribed treatment and procedures.

1. Vinigar

2. Chironex antivenom