Omaha Steaks

dcutman

I'm from Texas where a grocery store steak can be cut with a fork. We are spoiled.

You can get that here - in a can with the name "Hormel" on it :bah:

Patrick

Not the same thing. :rolleyes:

My point was - and is - that any "Steak" that can be "cut with a fork" does not deserve to be called a Steak.

I will never forget my first trip to the US and a meal at a Mortons (in the "home" of Steak, Dallas, Fort Wayne as it happens), I was given a huge "Steak" - and a knife which Jim Bowie would have been proud to claim as his own ...... but it was totally un-necessary, the meat was served in a virtual post-digested state and could indeed have been “cut” with a fork - or with a small (a very small) amount of extra effort, mashed up and fed to a baby.

Hence my reference to Hormel - at least they do not pretend to be "Steak".

Patrick

I'm from Texas where a grocery store steak can be cut with a fork. We are spoiled.

You can get that here - in a can with the name "Hormel" on it :bah:

Patrick

Not the same thing. :rolleyes:

My point was - and is - that any "Steak" that can be "cut with a fork" does not deserve to be called a Steak.

I will never forget my first trip to the US and a meal at a Mortons (in the "home" of Steak, Dallas, Fort Wayne as it happens), I was given a huge "Steak" - and a knife which Jim Bowie would have been proud to claim as his own ...... but it was totally un-necessary, the meat was served in a virtual post-digested state and could indeed have been “cut” with a fork - or with a small (a very small) amount of extra effort, mashed up and fed to a baby.

Hence my reference to Hormel - at least they do not pretend to be "Steak".

Patrick

I guess it depends if you like grass fed beef or not. It is leaner and tougher. BTW the only great Morton's is the original one in Chicago on State street. If you grew up eating tough beef I imagine you would like tough beef.

I cook for my Thai friends and they ruin my carefully prepared meals by adding chili's before they taste it. My mother used to do the same thing with salt.

Morton's uses Prime beef. Few steakhouses do. Most use choice. For Prime rib if you know what you are doing you can use select and get away with it.

Given the choice Americans like American beef first, Canadian second and Australian third. I know this because I have sold and bought thousands of pounds of beef. Sometimes American beef gets so expensive you have no alternative except to buy Australian beef. When the Aussie dollar was a lot lower. I would get a lot of complaints about it until I switched back to Canadian or American. Top pic is grain vs grass bottom is prime beef. I don't have an axe to grind. If I lived in Australia I would serve grass fed beef in America grain fed.

Cooking in Chicago Med Rare is blood red and in Texas Med Rare is pink. Different strokes for different folks.

post-26885-0-98896600-1290791710_thumb.j

post-26885-0-68445200-1290791799_thumb.j

Edited by mark45y

On my refrigerator door in Sakhon Nakhon province is attached a menu and price list for the Thai/French beef ranch. This beef is absolutely the very best beef I have ever had even in my home country USA. Yes, there are some upscale steakhouses that can "prepare" a fine tastng steak however the Thai/French beef is consistently the best I have ever bought for home preparation.

The prices are reasonable and call ahead orders will be ready when you arrive. I must regretfully tell you that I am away from my home and can not provide the exact information to you however can tell you that the ranch and slaughter house is just south of Sakhon Nakhon near an army post. Ask your Thai friends to make some enquiries as to the slaughter day and directions and you will be pleasantly surprised as I was. When I return home I will post all the pertinent info.

The best days to go is the slaughter day when all the listed cuts are avaialble. Hamburger meat can be ordered with the % fat content you specify, excellent Filets, Ribeyes, roasts, you name it they have it.

Bring a cooler and some ice. Beef is vacumn packed for you on the premises and is suitable for freezing for short periods. I go every couple of months when I am in country and stock up for about $ 100 - $150 dollars US.

I will post pertinent info when I go back home.

On my refrigerator door in Sakhon Nakhon province is attached a menu and price list for the Thai/French beef ranch. This beef is absolutely the very best beef I have ever had even in my home country USA. Yes, there are some upscale steakhouses that can "prepare" a fine tastng steak however the Thai/French beef is consistently the best I have ever bought for home preparation.

The prices are reasonable and call ahead orders will be ready when you arrive. I must regretfully tell you that I am away from my home and can not provide the exact information to you however can tell you that the ranch and slaughter house is just south of Sakhon Nakhon near an army post. Ask your Thai friends to make some enquiries as to the slaughter day and directions and you will be pleasantly surprised as I was. When I return home I will post all the pertinent info.

The best days to go is the slaughter day when all the listed cuts are avaialble. Hamburger meat can be ordered with the % fat content you specify, excellent Filets, Ribeyes, roasts, you name it they have it.

Bring a cooler and some ice. Beef is vacumn packed for you on the premises and is suitable for freezing for short periods. I go every couple of months when I am in country and stock up for about $ 100 - $150 dollars US.

I will post pertinent info when I go back home.