More Taxi Turbo Meters

KCM

It seems the number of taxis in Bangkok using the illegal turbo meters is on the rise. This year I have had 6 different occurrences where the driver tried to use one of these meters. Normally it has been from the airport but it has also happened a couple of times in the city. On Monday, for the first time it happened with a taxi that was sent by one of the taxi call centers. I ordered a taxi Monday morning from 02-878-9000 to go to the airport and the taxi they sent had one of the turbo meters that runs up the fare very quickly. Once I realized the driver had a bad meter I told him and he immediately reset it at the normal speed without denying it because he realized he had been caught. Once at the airport I took a picture of the plate number and reported him to the tourist police.

Another taxi driver told me that he believes around 50% of the taxis that wait at the airport have illegal meters. After the third or fourth time that I got one of these bad meters at the airport I stopped getting taxis downstairs at the official taxi stand and now I either get a taxi at the top level after they drop off another passenger or I just take the train into the city.

The other day we got into a taxi at the airport & after sitting inside I was busy juggling bags around and getting myself comfortable when my better half pointed out to me that the taxi meter already had 220 baht on it (we were less than a kilometre from the carpark) & it was at this same time that I noticed the taxi driver had half a million buddhas & amulutes swinging from chains from the rear vision mirror & was clearly done so to obstruct the meter (which is why I hadnt noticed it myself). Anyway, we smiled at each other and I told her to let it run for a bit longer.

A moment later the misses pointed the meter problem to the driver who immediately apologised and stated that he must have left the meter running when the taxi was parked at the airport & forgot to reset it :lol: :lol: YEAH RIGHT.

Anyway, he immediately reset the meter having driven us already about 3 or 4 kilometres. As we reached our place I cracked out my trusty coin bag & paid the exact fare to the driver, after he unloaded all our heavy bags from the vehicle. Not a word was spoken, he simply put his head down and returned to the drivers seat - he seemed to know exactly what we were thinking. :ph34r:

Hello,

From my understanding (I have been in a few to say the least), each taxi has a id plate number on the door panels in big black and yellow font. Simply make note of it, and start a list of taxi's to avoid. Easy when you open the door is you see the number, don't take the taxi.... I am suprised with all of the Taxi problems a thread listing the ID's has not been started.

:jap:

Edited by Newguy70

Hello,

From my understanding (I have been in a few to say the least), each taxi has a id plate number on the door panels in big black and yellow font. Simply make note of it, and start a list of taxi's to avoid. Easy when you open the door is you see the number, don't take the taxi.... I am suprised with all of the Taxi problems a thread listing the ID's has not been started.

Thats not such an easy task. Can you imagine waving down a taxi, then checking your list to see if the number is on it? :blink: THEN, if your gripe with that taxi isnt exactly a modified meter, the other problem you have is alot of the drivers only hire the taxi for 12 hours, then it goes to another driver for another shift......some of the drivers get in the same taxi, day in, day out but others don't. Its a good idea but it wouldnt work.

Ive been in alot of Thai taxis over the years too, 90% of them have been reasonable, some of the things that stand out of the others are the poor driving habits & those few that think they're in some sort of formula 1 race...:w00t: . I've only come up against one or two dodgy ones, but I don't frequent tourist areas often etc, maybe Im just lucky.

Worst taxi ride Ive had in ages was a couple of weeks ago in Sydney, Australia, talk about a nut case, idiot driver, stupid stupid idiot driver and EXPENSIVE AS SIN.

Hi Neverdie,

The multiple drivers per Taxi does throw a monkey wrench into the system. The only thing you can do as I really see no short term fix, is to video record the meter with you phone camera. I have only had one shady to say the least taxi in thailand, and that was related to the Airport as well. Only it was from Don Meung, it was my first month in the LOS and i did not know any better. Close to 3 years, and one shady taxi ( i use a Taxi on average twice a week). I would say that turbo meters are very few and far beween (IMHO of course).

Most expensive tax I have ever had: Sandiego to La $345. I hate flying so I was not about to take a plane from San Deigo to LA........

Yeah, theres nothing really to complain about here with taxis (mostly). Dead cheap and like anything, you get what you pay for, or rather, you pay peanuts, you get monkies :lol:;)

problem with that theory being, in Sydney you pay a fortune and still get a monkey & one that can't understand english that well either :rolleyes:

Edited by neverdie

Hello,

Thats not such an easy task. Can you imagine waving down a taxi, then checking your list to see if the number is on it? :blink: THEN, if your gripe with that taxi isnt exactly a modified meter, the other problem you have is alot of the drivers only hire the taxi for 12 hours, then it goes to another driver for another shift......some of the drivers get in the same taxi, day in, day out but others don't. Its a good idea but it wouldnt work.

Ive been in alot of Thai taxis over the years too, 90% of them have been reasonable, some of the things that stand out of the others are the poor driving habits & those few that think they're in some sort of formula 1 race...:w00t: . I've only come up against one or two dodgy ones, but I don't frequent tourist areas often etc, maybe Im just lucky.

Worst taxi ride Ive had in ages was a couple of weeks ago in Sydney, Australia, talk about a nut case, idiot driver, stupid stupid idiot driver and EXPENSIVE AS SIN.

worst I have ever had was in Perth Australia. Rude and expensive.

Maybe i'm just lucky but untill now i never had a problem with those turbo meters.

I use a BKK taxi about 20 times a year for the last 21 years.

I had sometimes problem with drivers refusing to use the meter but no turbo meters yet.

Like i said maybe i'm lucky but it also helps that i give directions in Thai to the driver so they know that i'm not a first timer.

Caught one the other day rom the airport - B750 when he stopped at my apartment (280 normally). I noticed it after being in the cab for 5 minutes and I just let him take me all the way to the apartment and then called him on it. I acted all pissed off and got out of the cab - free ride from the airport! :) I'm hoping I get a turbo meter everytime I come from BKK to home!!

Great taxi journey yesterday in London.....travelling less than five clicks from his base the driver didn't know the way...or how to use his satnav when I gave him my postcode. They're getting worse...I swear it!!! :blink:

What ever happened to the Hackney's having to do 'The Knowledge'?

I take the taxi to and from the airport practically every week, and I've never had a problem with the meter. The fare to my home has always been 250 baht +-10

More often I see drivers being reluctant to put on the meter, but it's rarely a problem.

If the fare surcharge is as large as people report, it's silly on the driver's side: Inflate the price too much and he'll get reported quickly and stands to lose his source of income. If they would just add 10 or 20% to the bill, few people would ever notice it and it would still be a nice boost to their margin.

Edited by Zolt

Great taxi journey yesterday in London.....travelling less than five clicks from his base the driver didn't know the way...or how to use his satnav when I gave him my postcode. They're getting worse...I swear it!!! :blink:

Obviously wasnt a "hackney" cab, sounds like a mini-cab (private hire) outfit.

Edited by CharlieH

I'm not sure if they actually lose their source of income when they are caught. After reporting one driver using a turbo meter earlier this year I got a call a couple of months later from the taxi regulating agency letting me know that they had confronted the driver and gave him a 500 Baht fine. If that is the only punishment then it's really no incentive not to use these meters.

I take the taxi to and from the airport practically every week, and I've never had a problem with the meter. The fare to my home has always been 250 baht +-10

More often I see drivers being reluctant to put on the meter, but it's rarely a problem.

If the fare surcharge is as large as people report, it's silly on the driver's side: Inflate the price too much and he'll get reported quickly and stands to lose his source of income. If they would just add 10 or 20% to the bill, few people would ever notice it and it would still be a nice boost to their margin.

One taxi meter i had been in recently seemed to be clocking over at 2 or 3 baht intervals and seemed to be doing it at a faster pace than normal.

I'd never paid much notice before but asked the guy why the meter seemed to be running. Straight away he waves his hand and says (in thai) its not expensive and then goes on to ask me where im from and then rants about how much the taxis are in Australia, how the Thai people are poor,how the farang have money, bla bla bla

The rant went on for about 5 minutes, i could only understand about 25% of what he was saying.

I'd done that route quiet a few times but strangely enough at the end of the trip the fare was about 20 baht dearer.

I did as Neverdie did, gave him the exact change down to the last baht, and as im getting out of the cab he calls me keenok :o

Obviously wasnt a "hackney" cab, sounds like a mini-cab (private hire) outfit.

Admittedly the one mentioned wasn't. However had a similar experience in a black cab although to be fair he at least knew the rough area. This happens all the time now with drivers in London. Still they're cheaper £ for Baht than Samui......Bangkok is a bargain compared with these two!

As I have said on another thread on the forum after years of nonsense with taxi drivers in Bangkok now when any of 'em try anything on I simply say "Meter plus tip.".

Never heard a peep from any of them since. Accept my 20-30 Baht tip and charge the normal fare.

Fair enough as its what I'd do back in the UK. Treat them exactly the same and no worries is my experience. Never been in the turbo class tho....:blink:

Simple. Reach over and rip it out of his dashboard, open the window and toss it out. Tell the driver to stop the taxi, take his taxi number and call trousit police.

Yeah! Good one mate, and the "trousit" police will then take you down the station for criminal damage.

I'm not sure if they actually lose their source of income when they are caught. After reporting one driver using a turbo meter earlier this year I got a call a couple of months later from the taxi regulating agency letting me know that they had confronted the driver and gave him a 500 Baht fine. If that is the only punishment then it's really no incentive not to use these meters.

that's actually the problem !

typical for Thailand, that the rules and laws are there, but not being enforced appropriately.

I always wondered how many people actually did complain about drivers and report them.

I wonder if the Thai TV and newspapers are reporting that problem too, or if the scam only applies to Farang.

on the other hand, if they give him a fine of 500 Baht and then threaten to revoke his licence next time, that would be the proper way. So you maybe not know everything that happened behind the curtai.

but definitely other countries are taking more action when it comes to Taxi drivers, for example Philippines, where manipulated meters were a big big problem since ages. but if you call the provided number of the transport association, they will be quick in pursuing the case. such thing is definitely not the case in Thailand

Edited by siam2007

Maybe i'm just lucky but untill now i never had a problem with those turbo meters.

I had sometimes problem with drivers refusing to use the meter but no turbo meters yet.

Like i said maybe i'm lucky but it also helps that i give directions in Thai to the driver so they know that i'm not a first timer.

I've used taxis more frequently than that over a longer period. Never come across a 'modified' meter as far as I know, ie, they all seem to tick over at roughly the same rate, as far as I can tell. Personally I think it's an urban myth. In the case of neverdie, clearly the meter had not been turned off after the previous passengers got out.

I've used taxis more frequently than that over a longer period. Never come across a 'modified' meter as far as I know, ie, they all seem to tick over at roughly the same rate, as far as I can tell. Personally I think it's an urban myth. In the case of neverdie, clearly the meter had not been turned off after the previous passengers got out.

I had a turbo meter from the airport once. I noticed it was clicking over a bit fast, so got the phone out and checked on the GPS. It definitely was clicking over too fast. I started talking about it to a friend with me, and at the end of the trip paid the usual fair - about 50 baht less than the meter. Not a peep from the driver.

They do exist. I copped a turbo meter taxi once from Suk.11 to Lumpini police station 150B. :rolleyes:

I paid him 45B - the correct fare as I had done the same trip the day before, the driver wanted to argue about it, so I invited him into the police station. He declined. :lol: