Australian Great Escape.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Australia secure nail-biting draw

Third Ashes Test, Old Trafford: England 444 & 280-6 dec drew with Australia 302 & 371-9

Australia's last-wicket pair secured a draw in a desperately tense finish to the third Test at Old Trafford to keep the Ashes series level at 1-1.

Captain Ricky Ponting batted for six hours for 156 but was dismissed with 25 balls left, leaving Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath to see Australia to safety.

Man of the match Ponting put on 81 with Michael Clarke (39) and 76 with number nine batsman Shane Warne (34).

Andrew Flintoff took 4-71 but could not claim the vital last wicket.

After two of the most exciting Tests in history - this match following England's two-run win at Edgbaston - the series moves to Trent Bridge for the fourth Test of five with everything to play for.

What a strange turn round of events. From " We're gonnawin all five tests" to " I'm going to do a rain dance tonight" as one of our Ozzie posters put on friday after only two days. Magnificant bowling performance once again from England. Some very dubious Umpireing decisions though, for both sides.Billy Bowden don't like giving LBW's even if they're plumb, although Steve Bucknor gives them even when the ball is hit first.That was also a pretty poor show from Ponting, willing the umpire not to give it. You could see from his face he knew he had gloved the ball, although I suspect in a situation like that an England player might have stood his ground. Still, a wonderful finish to a match that in this instance England did deserve to win.I think we can safely say saturdays rain saved Oz. Well done both teams. After Edgbaston, I'm down to my elbows now.

It hurts to say so, but I thought The Aussies displayed why they are the ones to beat, any other team would have collapsed but the Aussies did very well, allthough I think old Glen Boy may be regretting the day he said a 5-0 whitewash was coming, closer than a lot of pundits thought, what a cracking Ashes and great for Cricket

It hurts to say so, but I thought The Aussies displayed why they are the ones to beat, any other team would have collapsed but the Aussies did very well, allthough I think old Glen Boy may be regretting the day he said a 5-0 whitewash was coming, closer than a lot of pundits thought, what a cracking Ashes and great for Cricket

I agree whole heartedly :o

I think old Glen Boy may be regretting the day he said a 5-0 whitewash was coming, closer than a lot of pundits thought, what a cracking Ashes and great for Cricket

That's who Supermouth really is Glenn Mcgarath ( I've spelt it both ways in one to avoid confusion)

Well,well,well; And I thought he was Fartypants's alterego.

I wouldnt exactly call yesterday a team performance, the aussies were saved by one player alone :o

What a strange turn round of events. From " We're gonnawin all five tests" to " I'm going to do a rain dance tonight" as one of our Ozzie posters put on friday after only two days. Magnificant bowling performance once again from England. Some very dubious Umpireing decisions though, for both sides.Billy Bowden don't like giving LBW's even if they're plumb, although Steve Bucknor gives them even when the ball is hit first.That was also a pretty poor show from Ponting, willing the umpire not to give it. You could see from his face he knew he had gloved the ball, although I suspect in a situation like that an England player might have stood his ground. Still, a wonderful finish to a match that in this instance England did deserve to win.I think we can safely say saturdays rain saved Oz. Well done both teams. After Edgbaston, I'm down to my elbows now.

So what happened to the worlds best four pronged pace bowling attack?

The Brits are a bit down in the mouth today,, lost the unlosable game did we? Maybe you didnt win because of Ponting and Warnes performances and maybe because your much heralded super dooper 4 prong attack werent good enough to bowl the opposition out twice.

We don't really know, although the figures suggest that Australia were well and truly pasted - but for Saturday's drizzle.

The most relevant question surely is, what has happened to the so-called World's Greatest Cricket Team, having to scramble and desperately defend in the last two Test matches?

On another note:

Facial expression of the week has got to be new-cock-on-the-farm, Kevin Pietersen, when yorked first ball for a duck, by the wiley old fox, Glenn McGrath.

You would have thought he had been caught with his flies open.

Well he was!

Oh dear. Taking lessons from Supermouth are we?

You obviously didn't see the match. They bowled magnificantly. But of course tired in end. With Giles making no significant contribution they had to do all the work.

Let's just look forward to the Nottingham test with relish. I think the Aussies know they're up against a cricket team now, and you never know they might get their fingers out and give us another hiding. Somehow I think we have taken the inititive now and are holding our heads up. Another draw, I predict, just as I predicted the last one. I even got the hundreds close. All down to the last test. And may the best team win :o

The Brits are a bit down in the mouth today,, lost the unlosable game did we? Maybe you didnt win because of Ponting and Warnes performances and maybe because your much heralded super dooper 4 prong attack werent good enough to bowl the opposition out twice.

Don't think we lost it did we Raindancer?

Those jammy Aussies , just hung on to draw with the new masters of world Cricket ENGLAND ,  Roll on Trent Bridge , Barmy Army were singin to Brett Leee hes so Matcho , hes gotta be so matcho ! what a great sunny boozy day was had by all.

Cheers.

Masters of World cricket >> England :o:D:D:D:D:D:D ur on the same drugs as Lampard and Pro Fart....

we will have to ask Lampard that one....

Although seems as England got a draw....he may he already posted...unlike after the first Test...when he was crying...

The most relevant question surely is, what has happened to the so-called World's Greatest Cricket Team, having to scramble and desperately defend in the last two Test matches?

Yes... thats right Merton....u said it urself..."the last two matches".....teams are judged on more than two Test's...oh except for Engalnd...

The tide has turned - Australia celebrating a draw and England disappointed they didn't win. That takes me back to the 90s when England were thankful when they didn't lose a test instead of thinking about the win.

Can't wait for Trent Bridge!

Great cricket so far , the Aussies must be surprised that they have a game on their hands.

IMO the player of the series is Warnie so far.

Roll on next weekend!

:o

At the moment it's definately between Warnie and Flinty.

Warnie is class, what I like about him also is his sportsmanship and appreciation of good performances. He plays the game hard but has enough humility to identify when the opposition have played well.

The troubling thing from my (Aussie) perspective is - what kind of sh1t would we be in if England had a spinner and a wicketkeeper? But hey, they don't. Our top order must surely get amongst the runs in the next two tests in which case it is going to be daylight second and my TAB ticket for a 3-1 series will be a winner.