Australian Great Escape.

It's Thursday 10:14 GMT and we live 50 miles north of Manchester.

Total cloud cover and raining. :o

Australia's Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee both lined up for Australia after passing fitness tests ahead of the third Ashes Test at Old Trafford.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia's Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee both lined up for Australia after passing fitness tests ahead of the third Ashes Test at Old Trafford.

Great; no excuses either way now. Although I must be fair. No-one gave McGraths abscence as an excuse for the second test.

Great; no excuses either way now. Although I must be fair. No-one gave McGraths abscence as an excuse for the second test.

Howdy Lamps ,Just arrived home from Isaan, your mates have been carrying on a bit in my absence, great to see the poms sneak in for a two run win, although some of the Brit posts would indicate it was an innings and two runs,we will see what the next few days brings to light.

[

Howdy Lamps ,Just arrived home from  Isaan, your mates have been carrying on a bit in my absence, great to see the poms sneak in for a two run win, although some of the Brit posts would indicate it was an innings and two runs,we will see what the next few days brings to light.

That's right mate. Thought you be in to watch the last two days though. Glad to hear you got back safely. At lunch England 93-1

270 -2

vaughan is dropped at slip off the bowling of warne. followed up by a missed run out chance a few balls later.

This is after earlier in the day when Vaughan was dropped by gilchrist of the bowling Mcgrath and then was bowled the following ball .. unfortuately it wa signalled a no-ball

i think we are witnessing a transitional shift of power in the world of cricket

Rubbishy old England that can't play cricket 270-2

Even rubbishier Vaughn 154 n/o :D

Do you think Vaughan reads Thai Visa for motivation? I'm sorry I wrote that thing about his average now. :D Best thing he did was win the toss. Although, Iron Gloves Gilchrist and his band of jesters have dropped about 5 catches and bowled one on a no ball. Makes life easier for the poms who are already batting on a concrete wicket :o

England 341-5 v Australia

Michael Vaughan hit a majestic 166, the first ton of this year's Ashes, to overshadow Shane Warne's 600th wicket on day one of the third Test.

Warne had Marcus Trescothick caught behind for 63 before tea but Vaughan shared a stand of 127 with Ian Bell.

And Bell reached a well-deserved fifty shortly before Kevin Pietersen fell for 21, leaving England 333-4 late on.

Vaughan was dropped on 41 and 141 but otherwise played beautifully, while Bell was also put down on 18.

Seven dropped catches!

Rubbishy old England that can't play cricket 270-2

Even rubbishier Vaughn 154 n/o :D

Do you think Vaughan reads Thai Visa for motivation? I'm sorry I wrote that thing about his average now. :D Best thing he did was win the toss. Although, Iron Gloves Gilchrist and his band of jesters have dropped about 5 catches and bowled one on a no ball. Makes life easier for the poms who are already batting on a concrete wicket :o

Yeah, Ozzie fielding is not much to talk about. Very unusual. Six catches missed. Four easy ones. Bowled off a no-ball. Four byes between Gilchist's legs,mis fields all over. Looked like England in the field.

Close of play 341-5 but one of them Hoggard, bowled off the last ball. Which is OK for tomorrow morning with Flintof and Bell. Looks like England can't lose this one already. All they need to do is bat for 2 1/2-3hrs tomorrow and the onus really is on you guys. Well good luck anyway. :D

Tommorrow will be facsinating. Theres enough bounce in this to make batting difficult early on but if a batsman gets set then he should go no and follow Vaughan. I reckon there will be plenty of big middle order runs here especially for the Aussies if they can handle Harmison and Flintoff who will get a lot of bounce and reverse swing.

I reckon we're in for a high scoring draw especially after today actually resembled a normal days Test Cricket.

I reckon we're in for a high scoring draw especially after today actually resembled a normal days Test Cricket.

Which I said before this one even started. It's a draw or an England win, looking at it now.

And Superfly: if England havn't got the best four pronged pace attack, who has? Serious now.

Which I said before this one even started. It's a draw or an England win, looking at it now.

And Superfly: if England havn't got the best four pronged pace attack, who has? Serious now.

While not wishing to fight Superflys battles for many reasons, I would offer the following; very few test sides have a 4 pronged pace attack these days so England may win by default. It certainly illustrates the value of Flintoff as probably the best allrounder at the moment. It's a bit hard to compare a bowler with a wicketkeeping allrounder like Gilchrist, but they both win test matches for their sides making these players the most valuable in cricket.

I would like to point out that Hoggard averages 48.90 and Jones 34.42 against the world's leading side so those two don't hold many fears for Australia.

Why wouldn't it be raining in Manchester ? :D

It's a bloody sight better weather than Victoria or Tasmania. :o

It is winter in Australia!

What about Tasmania? :D

We call that West New Zuland. :D

Nice folk ,is we West New Zulanders :D

choice

England have dropped a catch. C&b by Hoggard.  The English substitute fieldsman (for Giles) is an Australian!!  (Horten - playing for the local county side) Oz 31/0

Australia 74/2 (21.4 ov)

Current Partnership: 2 runs, 1.5 overs, RR: 1.09

Last Wicket: 73/2 (20.1 ov); Partnership: 15 runs, 4.2 overs, RR: 3.46

RT Ponting c Bell b SP Jones 7 (12b 1x4 0x6) SR: 58.33

Freddies at it again ...

first ball up after drinks he clean bowls Katich ..

115-4 .. gilchrist IN

England have dropped a catch. C&b by Hoggard.  The English substitute fieldsman (for Giles) is an Australian!!  (Horten - playing for the local county side) Oz 31/0

Australia 74/2 (21.4 ov)

Current Partnership: 2 runs, 1.5 overs, RR: 1.09

Last Wicket: 73/2 (20.1 ov); Partnership: 15 runs, 4.2 overs, RR: 3.46

RT Ponting c Bell b SP Jones 7 (12b 1x4 0x6) SR: 58.33

Edited by Clip_My_Wings