Australian Great Escape.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

End of days play. Australia still need 36 runs to avoid the follow on with three wickets left. Warne playing well. England dropped three catches. Good night everyone :o I'm going to bed now to dream of Urn.

England leave Australia reeling

Third Ashes Test, Old Trafford, day two (stumps): England 444 v Australia 210-7

Simon Jones and Ashley Giles took three wickets apiece as Australia closed in deep trouble at 234 behind England.

The home side took four quick wickets after tea before Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne shared 53 as Australia ended the day on 210-7.

Gilchrist was dropped twice but Jones ousted him and then Michael Clarke.

Earlier Andrew Flintoff (46) and Geraint Jones shared 87 as England made 444, with Shane Warne taking 4-99 as the last four fell for 11.

What another day of wonderous cricket. Not only because England are in supremesy, but also because Australia have always had the chance to come out on top.

But every chance given by England has just increased the rate of the systematic destroyal of the Australian team.

An hour before end of play Cricket365.com had the following headline: Aussies off to a solid start at tea on second day!

There is nothing solid in this game except the sad demise of once great Australian team - I hope.

Why wouldn't it be raining in Manchester ? :D

It's a bloody sight better weather than Victoria or Tasmania. :o

It is winter in Australia!

What about Tasmania? :D

Very British weather there. All year it's mostly winter. :D

Tasmania is part of Noo Zuland

End of days play. Australia still need 36 runs to avoid the follow on with three wickets left. Warne playing well. England dropped three catches. Good night everyone :D I'm going to bed now to dream of Urn.

England leave Australia reeling

Third Ashes Test, Old Trafford, day two (stumps): England 444 v Australia 210-7

Simon Jones and Ashley Giles took three wickets apiece as Australia closed in deep trouble at 234 behind England.

The home side took four quick wickets after tea before Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne shared 53 as Australia ended the day on 210-7.

Gilchrist was dropped twice but Jones ousted him and then Michael Clarke.

Earlier Andrew Flintoff (46) and Geraint Jones shared 87 as England made 444, with Shane Warne taking 4-99 as the last four fell for 11.

What another day of wonderous cricket. Not only because England are in supremesy, but also because Australia have always had the chance to come out on top.

But every chance given by England has just increased the rate of the systematic destroyal of the Australian team.

An hour before end of play Cricket365.com had the following headline: Aussies off to a solid start at tea on second day!

There is nothing solid in this game except the sad demise of once great Australian team - I hope.

Give over TM ,a couple of bad days at the office during one test is just a skirmish not the war. Thought you Brits would have an understanding of that after all the years of bad days the poms have had. :o

Give over TM ,a couple of bad days at the office during one test is just a skirmish not the war. Thought you Brits would have an understanding of that after all the years of bad days the poms have had. :o

Come on Ozzy. The whole point of the thing is us Brits were ridiculed by the Aussies for not saying we would win, not saying we might draw, but for just suggesting that we were going to give you a good game. Now the question is, " Can you lot give us a good game?" :D

An idea might be to put your last four batsmen in as openers, of course.

Edited by lampard10

Come on Ozzy. The whole point of the thing is us Brits were ridiculed by the Aussies for not saying we would win, not saying we might draw, but for just suggesting that we were going to give you a good game. Now the question is, " Can you lot give us a good game?" :D

An idea might be to put your last four batsmen in as openers, of course.

No problems Lamp, remember" necessity is the mother of invention " .Looks like Warnie took exception to a couple of Brit posters calling him .has-been crackhead etc etc, things have a habit of turning around and biting ya on the bum ,dont they.

If the weather allows I think we still have a test going on now that the Poms have to bat again,certainly England with the runs on the board have the initiative but Oz has shown it can chase big scores, I think the big question will be whether the Poms have the intestinal fortitude to declare ,giving Oz a slight show of getting the required runs or they play safe for a draw.

, I think the big question will be whether the Poms have the intestinal fortitude to declare ,giving Oz a slight show of getting the required runs or they play safe for a draw.

I think the way Giles is motivated, Vaughn might declare. So many England captains of the past have been blasted for not showing inititive. I wonder what Ponting would do, knowing that if the series is drawn then Australia retain the Ashes.

, I think the big question will be whether the Poms have the intestinal fortitude to declare ,giving Oz a slight show of getting the required runs or they play safe for a draw.

I think the way Giles is motivated, Vaughn might declare. So many England captains of the past have been blasted for not showing inititive. I wonder what Ponting would do, knowing that if the series is drawn then Australia retain the Ashes.

He has always shown he prefers to make a game of it , no fun for anyone if the opposing team is forced into a no-win situation and put up the shutters. the poms through a succession of captains has played by the "never give a sucker an even chance" theory and turned matches into boring spectacles, maybe the poms new found confidance will dictate a new approach.

Think I had better look up websites on "how to do a raindance"

Bloody Abo witchcraft :o

spelling again shady, short vowell A followed by a double letter = abbo

No Mate; high people always start with capitals. Aztecs,Incas, Maoris,Abbos. :D

you put the 2 B's into abbo after the correction, and you a high person, cmon shady, a well fed garden gnome

Think I had better look up websites on "how to do a raindance"

Bloody Abo witchcraft :o

spelling again shady, short vowell A followed by a double letter = abbo

No Mate; high people always start with capitals. Aztecs,Incas, Maoris,Abbos. :D

you put the 2 B's into abbo after the correction, and you a high person, cmon shady, a well fed garden gnome

:D:D:D

Day three belongs to Australia!!

England failed to capture a single Aussie wicket in the three sessions played on day three of the 3rd test!

The great Australian allrounders Shane Warne and Jason Gillespie (who may yet develop into a reasonable bowler to compliment his batting skills) carried their bats throughout a torrid days play. Englands much vaunted 4 prong pace attack were made to look very ordinary in face of the onslaught. It was left to occassional left arm tweaker Giles to hold up one end of the bowling for most of the day. Warne revelled in his bowling, frequently smashing him over his head to the boundry.

Warne is moving inexorably towards his third first class century of the season.

:o:D

Day three belongs to Australia!!

England failed to capture a single Aussie wicket in the three sessions played on day three of the 3rd test!

The great Australian allrounders Shane Warne and Jason Gillespie (who may yet develop into a reasonable bowler to compliment his batting skills) carried their bats throughout a torrid days play. Englands much vaunted 4 prong pace attack were made to look very ordinary in face of the onslaught. It was left to occassional left arm tweaker Giles to hold up one end of the bowling for most of the day. Warne revelled in his bowling, frequently smashing him over his head to the boundry. 

Warne is moving inexorably towards his third first class century of the season.

:o  :D

At bloody last. Australia all out for 302. Warne 90

Errr...Uhmmm....So who exactly won this  Cricket Match thingy?

:D  :o  :D

Not over yet - but soon will be:

England set Aussies record chase

Third Ashes Test, Old Trafford, day four (stumps):

England 444 & 280-6d v Australia 302 & 24-0

Australia were set a world record 423 to win the third Test after a fourth day of England domination highlighted by Andrew Strauss's maiden Ashes ton.

Strauss made 106 and Ian Bell 65 on day four at Old Trafford as England declared their second innings on 280-6.

Both men fell to Glenn McGrath, who took his 28th Test five-wicket haul.

Australia, dismissed for 302 in their first innings with Simon Jones taking 6-53 and Shane Warne making 90, were 24-0 at stumps second time around.

No team has ever scored more than 418 to win a Test match, while the record fourth-innings chase at Old Trafford is the 231-3 made by England against West Indies last year.

No team has ever scored more than 418 to win a Test match, while the record fourth-innings chase at Old Trafford is the 231-3 made by England against West Indies last year.

Don't underestimate these Antipodeans; they might do it just to p1ss us off :o

A good declaration by the poms ,a big ask requiring 4.43 per over on last day,gettable if we are good enough,highly unlikely but still makes for an interesting final days play.

[A good declaration by the poms ,a big ask requiring 4.43 per over on last day,gettable if we are good enough,highly unlikely but still makes for an interesting final days play.

I'll say one thing though; you Aussies are all heart. Jonsie must feel a lot better now after the slating in the press he got over that missed stumping, now that Gilchrist missed an easier one. :o

[A good declaration by the poms ,a big ask requiring 4.43 per over on last day,gettable if we are good enough,highly unlikely but still makes for an interesting final days play.

I'll say one thing though; you Aussies are all heart. Jonsie must feel a lot better now after the slating in the press he got over that missed stumping, now that Gilchrist missed an easier one. :o

4 hours and 8 wickets to go,looks like the sell-out crowd are getting their monies worth.Balmy Army would be pumped up like Romans at the Colliseum.