Australian Great Escape.

Only now...I hate to admit this, but the best quick bowler I have ever had the pleasure to watch was D.K Lillie.(fot)

For once I have to agree with you Chuchok! Although, Richard Hadlee was up with the best I have seen.

Why are you being nice to Aussies mate? Is it united against the old enemy?

I differ, but then I must cause I'm a Pom. The best quickie I have seen was Graham Dilley. He had a near perfect quick bowling action. Unfortunately he was too injury prone and never really reached his full potential. I'm afraid though lads the best bowler in any catergory was Deadly Derek Underwood. He was totally unplayable on a drying pitch. I do think Shane Warne is a bit overrated though. People just do not know how to play him. I think if he was bowling to the likes of Andrew Symonds or Adam Gilchrist he would be smashed all over the ground. Too many people are afraid of him. To play Warne you must try to get to the pitch of the ball. That worries him. Don't forget, people that know how to play him, murder his bowling. He frightens people. If he's forced to change his line and length he's too slow to do any damage. Look at Pieterson. He can play him. Call me back if you differ.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only now...I hate to admit this, but the best quick bowler I have ever had the pleasure to watch was D.K Lillie.(fot)

For once I have to agree with you Chuchok! Although, Richard Hadlee was up with the best I have seen.

I differ, but then I must cause I'm a Pom. The best quickie I have seen was Graham Dilley. He had a near perfect quick bowling action. Unfortunately he was too injury prone and never really reached his full potential. I'm afraid though lads the best bowler in any catergory was Deadly Derek Underwood. He was totally unplayable on a drying pitch. I do think Shane Warne is a bit overrated though. People just do not know how to play him. I think if he was bowling to the likes of Andrew Symonds or Adam Gilchrist he would be smashed all over the ground. Too many people are afraid of him. To play Warne you must try to get to the pitch of the ball. That worries him. Don't forget, people that know how to play him, murder his bowling. He frightens people. If he's forced to change his line and length he's too slow to do any damage. Look at Pieterson. He can play him. Call me back if you differ.

Lampy, Pietersons tactics of padding everthing outside leg stump against Warne wont work. Eventually the ball is going to get through. Much has been said about Mcgarths sterling performance but dont be surprised if Warne has a bigger influence in the next few tests. None of Englands batsman showed any confidence against Warne. Even the 2 left handed openers had trouble and generally leftys handle Warne much better. He's never really troubled Brian Lara. I agree that getting to the pitch of the ball is the most effective method and cant understand why the batsmam persist in trying to use the sweep shot as a defensive tactic. It will be interesting to see what happens at Old Trafford. Reports are that the ball has been spinning like a top there all season.

Underwood was indeed a great bowler. Probably the last decent slow/ slow medium bowler England has had. Its a bit difficult to compare differant eras. Wickets are prepared much better these days. Its pretty rare to get a bad track.

You didnt mention Underwood on a damp wicket. Virtualy unplayable.

Can you see England making any changes for the next test . I would think Giles and Bell's places in the team could be up for grabs. Who have they got to bring into the team. Would Collingwood be a chance. Its a shame Thorpe has said he wont play Tests anymore. He would have been an obvious replacement.

You've got to be joking Lampy! Dilley!! Didn't go to the cricket much? If the catagory was potential, could've been, and injury prone then a far better bowler than Dilley was Bruce Reid. Unplayable on his day.

As for Deadly Derek, he bored batsmen (and spectators) out. Hitting the same piece of grass 80 times in a row didn't make him a great spin bowler. Giles is a Underwood wannerbe.

[. Its pretty rare to get a bad track.

Can you see England making any changes for the next test . I would think Giles and Bell's places in the team could be up for grabs. Who have they got to bring into the team. Would Collingwood be a chance. Its a shame Thorpe has said he wont play Tests anymore. He would have been an obvious replacement.

I said Underwood on a drying wicket was unplayable. And you've got to remember he was almost a medium pacer. I think Robert Key will be back for the next test. I would also like to see Ed Smith in, but for who? Collingwood is a medium pacer, that gets people out when they go for everything. Ideal for one dayers, but for tests. Too easy picking I think. Fair batsman though. What I can't understand, is why Flintof gave his wicket so easy. He is in the school that should be able to blat Warne out of the ground. I used to hate him. I thought he was the Emile Heskey of cricket. Totally useless when he played for his country. But I guess I've mellowed a bit.

English press love a loser dont they

The Lord's Test Paper Round

Vaughan Again Losers

Martin Williamson

July 25, 2005

© The Sun

The Lord's Test was preceded by weeks of anti-Aussie rhetoric and predictions that the Ashes were coming home ...but it took a little over three days for reality to hit home. You only had to look at the tabloids to realise that normal service had been resumed.

"You bunch of drips," boomed Mike Walters in The Mirror. "England didn't just fluff their lines; they blew their screen test by succumbing with all the passion of eunuchs," he wrote, unable to resist a sideswipe at the ECB and Sky Sports at the same time. "Where are tomorrow's cricketing role models going to come from if people drift away from the game because it's marginalised on television and everyone's fed up of losing to the Aussies?"

The Sun took the headline "Vaughan Again Losers" and concentrated on quotes from Ricky Ponting that England were "making lots of mistakes - big mistakes at crucial times."

In The Times, Simon Barnes reflected on England's last-day capitulation, noting that "Kevin Pietersen's cheerful six-hitting at the end was like the V-sign you give the headmaster ten minutes after you've left school. It makes you feel a bit better, but it doesn't affect the balance of power." And as for Australia being too old? "It was the old gunslinger against the young punk. The young punk might believe he is faster, but the old master is accustomed to deference. It's not really about who is faster: it's about who blinks first."

The Daily Telegraph's Martin Johnson turned his attention on Pietersen. "The trouble is [that he] is still adjusting to his newly-acquired nationality, and people will refuse to accept his right to call himself a genuine member of an England dressing-room until he realises that the sight of a baggy green cap brings with it the immediate requirement for the bulldog to turn into a poodle. After only one Test match, Pietersen is already being talked about as good enough to get into the Australia team, and who knows? He might yet apply. He's a bright lad, and is doubtless already instructing his agent to get up to Somerset House and start scouring the archives for a third cousin who eloped with a jolly swagman, or a great-grandmother who played the didgeridoo."

Geraint Jones did not escape Johnson's attention either, his spills on Saturday coming to mind. "He has a pair of wicketkeeping gloves that appear to have been hewn from a trampoline, and his attempt to catch Jason Gillespie by sticking out an arm was less like watching a professional athlete as one of those old Morris Minors with a semaphore trafficator. So the plan now must be to have him stand up to the wicket to all the English bowlers and hope that he fells a couple of the Australian batsmen with vicious rebounds."

Richard Williams in The Guardian stated what all England supporters suspected all along. "Rolling over West Indies is no longer, sadly, the same as competing with Australia on an equal footing. The blow to England's morale will have been severe. For all the lack of a contribution from Ian Bell or Ashley Giles, nothing betrayed England's inherent flaws as clearly as their slapdash fielding, equal parts anxiety and poor technique."

Peter Roebuck in The Independent preferred to concentrate on Shane Warne's superb bowling. "Even in his pomp he could not have bowled better. During a long stint from the Nursery End he produced every word in the leg-spinning vocabulary and added several of his own creation. It was mesmerising, entertaining and destructive."

"England has been brought down in the first Test by Glenn McGrath on the first day and by Warne on the third," wrote Martin Blake in Melbourne's Age newspaper. "There is a terrible familiarity about all this for the home team." Blake added that Warne had cut a distracted figure on the eve of the match, beset as he is by off-the-field issues. "But put a ball in his hand and the genius within him will come through."

English press love a loser dont they

The Lord's Test Paper Round

Vaughan Again Losers

Martin Williamson

July 25, 2005

© The Sun

The Lord's Test was preceded by weeks of anti-Aussie rhetoric and predictions that the Ashes were coming home ...but it took a little over three days for reality to hit home. You only had to look at the tabloids to realise that normal service had been resumed.

"You bunch of drips," boomed Mike Walters in The Mirror. "England didn't just fluff their lines; they blew their screen test by succumbing with all the passion of eunuchs," he wrote, unable to resist a sideswipe at the ECB and Sky Sports at the same time. "Where are tomorrow's cricketing role models going to come from if people drift away from the game because it's marginalised on television and everyone's fed up of losing to the Aussies?"

The Sun took the headline "Vaughan Again Losers" and concentrated on quotes from Ricky Ponting that England were "making lots of mistakes - big mistakes at crucial times."

In The Times, Simon Barnes reflected on England's last-day capitulation, noting that "Kevin Pietersen's cheerful six-hitting at the end was like the V-sign you give the headmaster ten minutes after you've left school. It makes you feel a bit better, but it doesn't affect the balance of power." And as for Australia being too old? "It was the old gunslinger against the young punk. The young punk might believe he is faster, but the old master is accustomed to deference. It's not really about who is faster: it's about who blinks first."

The Daily Telegraph's Martin Johnson turned his attention on Pietersen. "The trouble is [that he] is still adjusting to his newly-acquired nationality, and people will refuse to accept his right to call himself a genuine member of an England dressing-room until he realises that the sight of a baggy green cap brings with it the immediate requirement for the bulldog to turn into a poodle. After only one Test match, Pietersen is already being talked about as good enough to get into the Australia team, and who knows? He might yet apply. He's a bright lad, and is doubtless already instructing his agent to get up to Somerset House and start scouring the archives for a third cousin who eloped with a jolly swagman, or a great-grandmother who played the didgeridoo."

Geraint Jones did not escape Johnson's attention either, his spills on Saturday coming to mind. "He has a pair of wicketkeeping gloves that appear to have been hewn from a trampoline, and his attempt to catch Jason Gillespie by sticking out an arm was less like watching a professional athlete as one of those old Morris Minors with a semaphore trafficator. So the plan now must be to have him stand up to the wicket to all the English bowlers and hope that he fells a couple of the Australian batsmen with vicious rebounds."

Richard Williams in The Guardian stated what all England supporters suspected all along. "Rolling over West Indies is no longer, sadly, the same as competing with Australia on an equal footing. The blow to England's morale will have been severe. For all the lack of a contribution from Ian Bell or Ashley Giles, nothing betrayed England's inherent flaws as clearly as their slapdash fielding, equal parts anxiety and poor technique."

Peter Roebuck in The Independent preferred to concentrate on Shane Warne's superb bowling. "Even in his pomp he could not have bowled better. During a long stint from the Nursery End he produced every word in the leg-spinning vocabulary and added several of his own creation. It was mesmerising, entertaining and destructive."

"England has been brought down in the first Test by Glenn McGrath on the first day and by Warne on the third," wrote Martin Blake in Melbourne's Age newspaper. "There is a terrible familiarity about all this for the home team." Blake added that Warne had cut a distracted figure on the eve of the match, beset as he is by off-the-field issues. "But put a ball in his hand and the genius within him will come through."

Wot...............they inferring we're no good or somat? :o

The biggest difference of course is that England still play cricket as a sport, Australia don't. The only time England lost their sporting attitude to the game was in the bodyline series. Then the moans & winges of the Aussies reverbarated around the world. They even threatened to take their ball back.

Can you imagine Tony Blair sending an envoy to Oz saying McGrath's getting too good,or Lee's bowling too many bouncers. :o

Can't wait for the second test though. I'll enjoy it whatever the result. Just a little less if Oz win.

The biggest difference of course is that England still play cricket as a sport, Australia don't. The only time England lost their sporting attitude to the game was in the bodyline series. Then the moans & winges of the Aussies reverbarated around the world. They even threatened to take their ball back.

Can you imagine Tony Blair sending an envoy to Oz saying McGrath's getting too good,or Lee's bowling too many bouncers. :o

Can't wait for the second test though. I'll enjoy it whatever the result. Just a little less if Oz win.

You missed the top line Lamps,the point I was making was how hard the English press are on their sportsmen when they dont win :D

I said Underwood on a drying wicket was unplayable. And you've got to remember he was almost a medium pacer. I think Robert Key will be back for the next test. I would also like to see Ed Smith in, but for who? Collingwood is a medium pacer, that gets people out when they go for everything. Ideal for one dayers, but for tests. Too easy picking I think. Fair batsman though. What I can't understand, is why Flintof gave his wicket so easy. He is in the school that should be able to blat Warne out of the ground. I used to hate him. I thought he was the Emile Heskey of cricket. Totally useless when he played for his country. But I guess I've mellowed a bit.

Lampy , My appologies. I misread drying. Flintof is a stroke player , simmilar to the way Botham played. If the bowling is tight hes not going to try and hang in there and build an innings. I would have thaught hes in the team for his bowling and if he makes a big score ,its a bonus.

Lampy , My appologies. I misread drying. Flintof is a stroke player , simmilar to the way Botham played. If the bowling is tight hes not going to try and hang in there and build an innings. I would have thaught hes in the team for his bowling and if he makes a big score ,its a bonus.

That's what I meant about Flinthof. I'm surprised he went so tamely.

Adn Oz; I got that OK. Good the press laid into them.

and I was upstairs watching in the cool on my own. Maybe no-one likes me. Boo-hooooooo.Still I will be watching, and if no-one else comes I'll use the viewing card at home.

Its called soap and deodorant Lamps :o  :D  :D

Don't you start..........I have enough with my bloody missus. She starts complaining I smell when I come out the shower. :D

try the equation I use to explain it to the girlfriend.

man = men

mai men = katoey :D

Fittingly, however, man of the match McGrath, who ended with overall figures of 9-82
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/4711875.stm

Glen McGrath - the best bowler in the world

no, just expressing an honest opinion.As a young kid watching Lillie charging in was a sight to behold.

Australians currently playing County Cricket are making sure the Oz selectors dont forget them.

Andrew Symonds who Lancashire are paying a fortune to scored 134 on debut.

Shane Watson who replaced Warnie at Hampshire top scored with 82 on debut.

Mike De Venuto(another Tasmanian) scored 203 forDerbyshire and currently has 876 runs @62.50 av for the season.

England branded 'Vaughan again losers'

7:27 PM July 25

England's cricketers were branded "Vaughan again losers" by their own tabloid media today after their crushing defeat by Australia in the first Ashes Test.

The Sun followed that up that with a second headline, "Another spine mess", to highlight the weakness of England's middle order during the team's 239-run loss at Lord's.

Michael Vaughan's team had resumed the fourth day in a near-hopeless position of 5 for 156, chasing 420 to win, but caved in to 180 all out.

Kevin Pietersen added 22 runs to his overnight score to end on 64 not out, but no other batsman contributed a single run as the innings was wrapped up in 61 balls.

"You bunch of drips" was the Mirror's headline, reflecting the fact that England's only hope of saving the match had lain with the bad weather which washed out the first two sessions on Sunday.

The Daily Star was just as scathing, with "Vaughan's rabbits run for cover".

The broadsheets concentrated more on Australian strengths and the continued excellence of opening bowler Glenn McGrath, who became the fourth man to pass 500 Test wickets during the game, and leg spinner Shane Warne, who

improved his world-record career tally to 589 victims.

The Telegraph, though, could not help joining in the fun by highlighting Pietersen's contribution.

Pietersen, a South African who qualified for England through his English mother, was the only home batsman to impress with two half-centuries on his debut but he also dropped three catches.

"Pietersen's only realistic claim to be recognised as English is by the catches he drops," Martin Johnson wrote in his column.

"After only one Test match Pietersen is already being talked about as good enough to get in the Australia team and, who knows, he might yet apply," Johnson added.

-Reuters

Source: Reuters

Jeez; reminds me of the Ashes. Another competition the Aussies are going to win every time. :o

I love qouting in context ..... :D:D:D

Is this an new colonial sport relating to the over consumtion of port wine?

:D:D

Very droll Thomas. I laughed so much my foot started throbbing!

Jeez; reminds me of the Ashes. Another competition the Aussies are going to win every time. :o

I love qouting in context ..... :D:D:D

Is this an new colonial sport relating to the over consumtion of port wine?

:D:D

Very droll Thomas. I laughed so much my foot started throbbing!

I laughed too; there's a lot of it agout :D

keep this one going boys, havn't laughed so much for ages.

:D  :D

...but the serous business begins.

Prepare to drop everything (Australia) and settle down to the roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd and the sweet sound of leather on willow and crash helmets.

The second Test is upon us!

From what I've heard, thats not grease paint or lip-salve around Shane Warne's mouth. :o

England 110-0after 25overs. Most of it's come in boundries. 21 fours 1 six

Praying does work:

Australia are waiting to see how long Glenn McGrath will be out of action after he was ruled out of the second Test following a freak accident.

McGrath, who tormented England at Lord's with nine wickets, injured his right ankle during a warm-up exercise.

Australia physio Errol Alcott said: "Glenn has suffered a grade two tear of his lateral ankle ligaments.

He added: "He is on crutches and his ankle is being iced and we will see how it responds to treatment."

284-4 GMT 15:00

England 289-4 Tea.............100 partnership in 96 balls. 40+ 4's and 7 6's so far.The camaradery on the field is great, except for Ponting. Everone seems to be having a good laugh. I think only 55 overs have been bowled so far. Who says test cricket is boring.

England 289-4 Tea.............100 partnership in 96 balls. 40+ 4's and 7 6's so far.The camaradery on the field is great, except for Ponting. Everone seems to be having a good laugh. I think only 55 overs have been bowled so far. Who says test cricket is boring.

All out 407

Rain stopped play. I half expected Oz to be two down by stumps.

I reckon this match will end in a draw or Aussie victory. Anything the pommie batsmen can do, the Aussie batsmen can do better. Going out on a limb here, but i predict a big ton from either Langer or Ponting and the score around 400 odd with wickets left in hand , if it doesn't rain of course :o

If England needed something to get back in the Ashes, they got it in the form of a game of touch rugby and a cricket ball that should have been somewhere else.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4746675.stm

slipped into town yesterday to catch some of the first days play , and arrived about 15 minutes into the game - the poms at the bar , hiding their glee , informed me that mcgrath was out for the match...woe

still it was a good bit of cricket to watch , and england's openers did a fine job - but I still have the confidence in the Australians to sort out the pommy gits. :o

407 is a good score, but on a slow wicket with short boundaries is it enough ?

I would have thaught that on a wicket like this they would have hoped for at least 2 big hundreds. None of the bowlers realy troubled them except for the odd ball from Warne.

If England go down in this test its going to be pretty difficult to come back from 2- nil down. I would have thaught that if they had played without taking so many risks and finnished the day at 4 or 5 for 300 they would be in a better position.