Where Are The Americans?

andoloco

Being from Chicago, I was chatting with a fellow Yank and we were trying to guess where in Thailand is there the greatest concentration of Americans outside of Bangkok?

Does anyone live anywhere where you would say there are a higher number of Yanks that visit and or live there?

Curious....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Udon Thani would be my guesses.

Any guesses on the total number here, longer term? 10,000?

As an aside, I stay in Ram2 (Prawet/Dokmai) part-time and commented to friends that I rarely see any foreigners there. Last evening with thousands of people in the market, and the last day of a huge 10 days festival, and of course the King's birthday celebration I saw ~ 4 foreigners. Then this morning in Ram2, ~ 100 American college kids on a scavenger hunt!

Keep the thoughts coming!

I have a successful Mexican restaurant in Koh Phangan and am being pushed off my land soon so looking for options to move to.

If I was in the business for the money I would just open up a small joint right across the US embassy in bkk, but living in Phangan I obviously like a slower pace then bkk.

post-87493-0-19290600-1291633058_thumb.j

Pattaya is screaming for a good Tex Mex Restaurants there is shyt in that town. Bangkok and Chiang Mai have a few each top T&M restaurants and would be a tuff nut to crack.

The only yankees I know are baseball players.

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American. To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner. To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner. To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander. To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter. And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

Edited by rijb

I know your place very well, as I've eaten there several times over the past five years when visiting the island. Outside of the usual places that spring to mind, I would suggest both Korat and Khon Kaen. Both places have a number of Americans and other expats who would frequent a good Mexican restaurant that is not expensive. Korat has one, but it is expensive, and not that good. Khon Kaen has nothing, but does have a huge University and quite a few American and foreign professors, etc..

Phuket, Hua Hin, Bangkok and other places already have their Mexican restaurants that have come and gone, and mostly the rental costs are too expensive.

Let us know where you end up.

There are hardly any Americans in Thailand. Maybe the highest concentration is up in the northeast where the Vietnam War airbases were.

As for the term 'Yank' I'd never heard it before in my entire life until I'd traveled overseas. It's some weird confusing word only used by foreigners.

I once got told off by a US guy for calling him a yank. :unsure:

Any American who would be offended by the term "yank" is wound up way too tight. Either that or he's a card-carrying member of the KKK.

Yes, "septic" is a far more derogatory and offensive label..

Keep the thoughts coming!

I have a successful Mexican restaurant in Koh Phangan and am being pushed off my land soon so looking for options to move to.

If I was in the business for the money I would just open up a small joint right across the US embassy in bkk, but living in Phangan I obviously like a slower pace then bkk.

post-87493-0-19290600-1291633058_thumb.j

No you wouldn't, the embassy is across from the embassy ;):D .......

korat , i visited the war vets/hotel restauraunt,

and there were many yanks there with their thai wifes .

the food was excellent , had a steak breakfast and coffee for 100bht .

what amased me is how they each got their massive butts on one chair,

the yanks i mean. :jap:

I thought yank was an American term anyway.

Where are the most American's? My guess is Pattaya!

Yank is a term describing Americans from the New England states ( North east), Trying calling a Texan a Yank and he might yank something out of you. :)

Maybe most "Yanks" are in Pattaya, we all know what a deprived bunch they are :) as for the rest of us , we go where we #@%* please.5555555

There are hardly any Americans in Thailand.

There are plenty. ;)

Any minnesotans??

Whats that. A rare breed of something. :)

as I read the posts and some of the replies , I crack up laughing out loud, My Wife asks me " why I am laughing ?",

when I try to explain, she always looks at me with a blank stare, she thinks we are all stupid. Maybe we are?

Today had a Particularly bad day, Had to quit a job I liked,in Florida, to go to New York,(Brrr) and help a friend finish a project,came home all cranky.

You Guys made me laugh, and I Thank you for that. :)

Any American who would be offended by the term "yank" is wound up way too tight. Either that or he's a card-carrying member of the KKK.

Just for the record...

Word History: The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning "little Jan" or "little John," a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates, the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Englanders as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New England. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotion--except of course for baseball fans.

Op, you'll find them in any popular centre outside Bangkok: Pattaya, Samui, Songkhla, HH, Kon Kaen, CM....

Yep. Once met a yank bird who got all bent out of shape on this, and particularly when I remarked that all Americans are yanks to non-yanks. ;)

Just read the responses to this thread and you will realize why the Americans don't advertise where they live in Thailand, nor frequently post on this forum... Because it is overrun with Pommies and Ozzies who can't find their azz with both hands.

How's that for an answer! :rolleyes:

Pretty crap actually as there are many who make no secret of their whereabouts and frequently post. Go back to sleep.

If the thread is an attempt to find out where you might have a market for a Mexican restaurant, then  I would agree with keemapoot about Khon Kaen.  There are quite a number of Americans within driving distance if not in the city itself, and there are plenty of other foreigners who wouldn't mind a good foreign restaurant of any kind.  And as keemapoot points out, there would be no competition from any other restaurant there now.

I would be tempted to add Udon as well.  There is a decent-sized VFW post there, and quite a few Americans gather there on the weekends from the various villages.  But that is also not far from KK, so I think in either city, you would draw from the other as well. 

(Off-topic, but I am making carnitas in the slow cooker as we speak.  I just hope Villa market has corn tortillas this evening when I stop by to get them!)

Op, you'll find them in any popular centre outside Bangkok: Pattaya, Samui, Songkhla, HH, Kon Kaen, CM....

Yep. Once met a yank bird who got all bent out of shape on this, and particularly when I remarked that all Americans are yanks to non-yanks. ;)

Just read the responses to this thread and you will realize why the Americans don't advertise where they live in Thailand, nor frequently post on this forum... Because it is overrun with Pommies and Ozzies who can't find their azz with both hands.

How's that for an answer! :rolleyes:

Pretty crap actually as there are many who make no secret of their whereabouts and frequently post. Go back to sleep.

It seems like everyone is having a laugh and then when one person returns a few jabs you get bent out of shape?

There are plenty of Americans in Thailand, but I have to say that as an American myself, I feel that I come across many more Brits, Aussies, French, etc. than my own countrymen. And taking into account that the population of the US is much larger than any of these countries, proportionally speaking there should be many more Americans than there are. The fact is Americans don't travel. The vast majority of US citizens will never own a passport (this always shocks people when I tell them) and never leave the country.

As for the "Yank" thing I don't find it personally offensive, I think it just sounds a bit odd to Americans, because when "Yankee" is used in the US, it is almost always in the context of Southerners referring, in a slightly derogatory way, to Northerners (or the baseball team). Because of the intense regional pride felt by many in the South, a Southerner might bristle a bit at being called a Yank or Yankee (maybe akin to a Scot being called English?).

On a tangentially related note: how do British folks out there feel about being called European? In America we usually think of Britain as being totally "European," and of course technically speaking it is, and yet I often hear Brits say things like "In Britain and Europe," suggesting that they don't really feel like part of the continent. Any thoughts on this?

I am enjoying this thread. Commonparlance has it all right. I grew up in the north of the US, and we didn't really use the term Yank or yankee. But then again we referred to the southerners as rednecks or hillbillies. The only time I ever heard it was when I moved to the south, and it was used jokingly (usually) in a derogatory way to refer to the Northerners. This throws back the American civil war, when the confederate south fought the north, and they referred to the northerners as Yankees. Don't refer to a southerner as a yank, they will mostly get annoyed or angry. I found it rather funny the first time I was referred to as a Yank here in Thailand. When I asked around, I never realized that the much of the rest of the world referred to all Americans as yanks. Funny.

Now, if you really want to get obscure, are there any trolls or yuppers here?