Farang Uniform

PETERTHEEATER

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I cannot understand why most European tourists (and residents!) from young to old men habitually wear a uniform of beach attire in public places. Everyday I see westerners wearing grubby T-shirts or vests and those invariably black and hideous Roman Legionnaire’s sandals. They appear in government offices, banks, hospitals and upmarket shops as if they have dressed for the beach and missed their way.

I learned during my earliest visits to LOS in 1961 that the people of Thailand respect well dressed foreigners. By well dressed I mean a proper shirt, slacks with shoes and socks; smart casual as it is sometimes known.

I wear shorts at home and to the beach but never in other public areas and I feel ashamed at some of the ‘under the table’ comments made by Thai people at the sight of shabbily dressed foreigners. Thais, as you should know are class conscious and see farangs who dress like samlor drivers as inferior. Yes, I know they take your money but not with respect despite the smile.

Japanese tourists (being golf crazy) dress in shorts but invariably wear good shirts and shoes and socks thus managing to look clean and tidy.

Last year I was in Majorca in May. The weather was unseasonably cold and wet and locals and sensible visitors were appropriately dressed. I was shopping in the local produce market when I heard a loud voice with a Scouse accent. I turned and saw a pot bellied man wearing a dirty white T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off to leave ragged edges, dirty swim shorts and flip-flops. The temperature was 8 degrees C! His visible statement, typical of my fellow Brits, was that he was on holiday and regardless of weather he would wear his holiday uniform.

What do you usually wear in public places and why?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if its necessary to wear trousers/shorts at all when I go out?

I often see young Thais in boxer shorts with cartoon characters on them. My boxer shorts are ok, with a button fly.

I'm not recommending going outdoors wearing my Y fronts, but my other underwear seems alright given the climate.

Midweek, I prefer to wear tailored pants and shorts.

Weekends and holidays, I am like any other yobbo, getting around in flip-flops shorts and a singlet.

I like to show off my beer gut and lilly-white skin.

A good post, made me laugh too as I think the same of poorly dressed Brits, it's also quite embarrassing!

I only just get myself to wear boxer shorts on the beach since I heard the comment "the last time I saw legs like yours they were dangling out of a nest" - made me realise shorts weren't the best to myself justice....

In public usually jeans and t-shirt. I'm very conscious of my appearance and like to look smart and presentable most of the time.

Sorry for being old fashioned but, shouldn't you wear what you feel comfortable in?

Ok sometimes I wear a vest or what ever in and around the local market. But I always wear shorts and flip flops. To bloody hot for shoes and socks!! Although I must admit I never wear a vest to a shopping mall, usually a T-shirt polo shirt or normal shirt. The only time I wear jeans is if I am going out clubbing. I think you are steriotyping your own countrymen. There are the odd few people that look like full on tourists but the comment "up to them" springs to mind. If you dont feel comfortable wearing this atire then surley its up to you. But why stick your nose up in the air at people who dont care how you or anyone else looks at them. Should they care? What makes you so special that you decide what is good enough to wear in certain places.

Bang......

Edited by bangbuathongben

I agree with you 100% Peter!

I'm the only farang out of 200 at my workplace and I really make a big effort to dress well and take care of my personal hygiene. I can't believe how some farangs go to their offices and schools, bloody disgraceful and have they no shame?

just casual. i wear jeans/shirt and either closed shoes or sandals, it depends where i'm going. always clean and ironed, though - for whatever i wear. no sweaty 2nd day shirts here.

Yes, much like me. Although when I went up to Roi Et, I wore boxers and "gerb keep" :o . Anyone here speak Laotian?

I must admit I always like to look neat when I go out. Trousers, shirt and my dress shoes, even to the wet market. I do not own a pair of jeans or shorts that I could wear outside, although I am about to buy some shorts as a drinking buddy of mine has recently suggested.

But, up2u what you wear as long as you feel comfortable.

Some good points but I must admit I think you should leave the tourists to their own devices because after all It's a holiday and in hot climates It's quite typical of tourists to wear flip flops and whatever else. But I do seem to see most thais wearing flip flops out and about but they look so much smarter for work.

In the daytime I wear jeans and t-shirts, sometimes I wear my trainers or my shoes with a low heel and opened toe because of the climate. But on a night out with friends I dress different and wear stuff that usual teens would be seen in.

But I see your point, it is a bit embarrasing seeing fellow farangs dressed terribly but how can you blame them when every shop in sight sells flip flops and cheap, nasty clothes? They just seem to follow suit.

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I cannot understand why most European tourists (and residents!) from young to old men habitually wear a uniform of beach attire in public places. Everyday I see westerners wearing grubby T-shirts or vests and those invariably black and hideous Roman Legionnaire’s sandals. They appear in government offices, banks, hospitals and upmarket shops as if they have dressed for the beach and missed their way.

I learned during my earliest visits to LOS in 1961 that the people of Thailand respect well dressed foreigners. By well dressed I mean a proper shirt, slacks with shoes and socks; smart casual as it is sometimes known.

I wear shorts at home and to the beach but never in other public areas and I feel ashamed at some of the ‘under the table’ comments made by Thai people at the sight of shabbily dressed foreigners. Thais, as you should know are class conscious and see farangs who dress like samlor drivers as inferior. Yes, I know they take your money but not with respect despite the smile.

Japanese tourists (being golf crazy) dress in shorts but invariably wear good shirts and shoes and socks thus managing to look clean and tidy.

Last year I was in Majorca in May. The weather was unseasonably cold and wet and locals and sensible visitors were appropriately dressed. I was shopping in the local produce market when I heard a loud voice with a Scouse accent. I turned and saw a pot bellied man wearing a dirty white T-shirt with the sleeves ripped off to leave ragged edges, dirty swim shorts and flip-flops. The temperature was 8 degrees C! His visible statement, typical of my fellow Brits, was that he was on holiday and regardless of weather he would wear his holiday uniform.

I agree with most of what you say, although I belive a pair of nice shorts are OK in some public areas, such as when going shopping at Tescos, the local market, etc. Down in the city center though, I would always wear long trousers and a shirt or polo shirt. For work, it is shirt & tie.

When staying is Sukhumvit, I found it amusing/embarrasing to watch punters with their girlfriend of the night the next morning. The women were often (but certainly not always) nicely dressed in their evening wear (skirts, high heels, etc), and the guys in sandals, old T-shirt and washed-out shorts. :D These women should demand double payment for being seen in daylight with such characters.... :D

"you want to have breakfast with me?

"OK - but that will be another 2000 baht.....3000 if we are walking more than one block" :o:D:D

I learned during my earliest visits to LOS in 1961 that the people of Thailand respect well dressed foreigners.

The world has moved on since 1961 (the year I was born, BTW) and, for good or ill, what constituted 'well-dressed' then is different now.

Thais, as you should know are class conscious and see farangs who dress like samlor drivers as inferior. Yes, I know they take your money but not with respect despite the smile.

Not only are you stereotyping, but I think you may be doing Thais something of an injustice here.

And faintly ridiculous.

Are we talking about mode of attire or cleanliness, here? I wouldn't dream of going out in dirty clothes, or be unwashed or unshaven, but I wear shorts nearly all the time, as do the majority of my friends, Thai and farang.

My dad would never wear an open-necked shirt without a cravat. That was typical of his generation. I was recently invited to the memorial service for the late father of a Thai friend. I put on decent trousers, shirt and shoes, and when I got there I got the p!ss ripped out of me by the family, who were in shorts and a colourful variety of English football club shirts.

I am not knocking your views on attire, but simply pointing out that informality does not automatically equal sloppiness, lack of self-respect or respect fro others, or being a slob. Behavious does that.

just casual. i wear jeans/shirt and either closed shoes or sandals, it depends where i'm going. always clean and ironed, though - for whatever i wear. no sweaty 2nd day shirts here.

Yes, much like me. Although when I went up to Roi Et, I wore boxers and "gerb keep" :D . Anyone here speak Laotian?

"Pen mawr". Anyone one here speak Welsh? :o

But, up2u what you wear as long as you feel comfortable.

Well said, but there are some obvious exceptions.

you don't take a woman out for a date, wearing sandals and a vest with "I love Bush " on it.

cheesy: :D:D

I love Bush, just not the "George" type :o

To the office:- short sleeve shirt, chinos, socks, shoes. I even wear a tie if visiting a client.

To the market / shopping:- clean T, jeans or chinos, sandals (not flip flops), no socks.

My missus always makes an effort whenever we go out (even to Tesco), i don't want to show her up... if I do, no nookie !! :o

Edited by Crossy

Good Topic.

I worry that I fall into the shabby catagory.  I always wear shorts and tee shirt during the day. I might use a pair of trousers in the evening.

I just find it too hot in long trousers.

I don't think it matters as long as what is worn, is clean and not offensive (i.e. slogans that you could wear happily in front of your mother/wife/partner. Obviously if you see tourists who have no idea of local culture, that's a different matter (and why oh why are they always Brits?) - e.g. going round a Wat scantily clad is just disrespectful. It pays to be female in LOS - more air around the legs, or perhaps more hair around the legs!! :o

QUOTE(PETERTHEEATER @ 2005-08-17 16:00:35)

I agree with most of what you say, although I belive a pair of nice shorts are OK in some public areas, such as when going shopping at Tescos, the local market, etc. Down in the city center though, I would always wear long trousers and a shirt or polo shirt. For work, it is shirt & tie.

When staying is Sukhumvit, I found it amusing/embarrasing to watch punters with their girlfriend of the night the next morning. The women were often (but certainly not always) nicely dressed in their evening wear (skirts, high heels, etc), and the guys in sandals, old T-shirt and washed-out shorts. These women should demand double payment for being seen in daylight with such characters....

"OK - but that will be another 2000 baht.....3000 if we are walking more than one block"

:lol :o:D:D

Very true mate.

QUOTE(saraburioz @ 2005-08-17 16:34:03)

Yes, much like me. Although when I went up to Roi Et, I wore boxers and "gerb keep" . Anyone here speak Laotian?

"Pen mawr". Anyone one here speak Welsh?

Why do Thai citizens in any part of Thailand speak Welsh?

What the fock has Wwelsh got to do with anyhting? :D

Edited by saraburioz

QUOTE(PETERTHEEATER @ 2005-08-17 16:00:35)

When staying is Sukhumvit, I found it amusing/embarrasing to watch punters with their girlfriend of the night the next morning. The women were often (but certainly not always) nicely dressed in their evening wear (skirts, high heels, etc), and the guys in sandals, old T-shirt and washed-out shorts. These women should demand double payment for being seen in daylight with such characters....

"OK - but that will be another 2000 baht.....3000 if we are walking more than one block"

:lol :D:D:D

Very true mate.

QUOTE(saraburioz @ 2005-08-17 16:34:03)

Yes, much like me. Although when I went up to Roi Et, I wore boxers and "gerb keep" . Anyone here speak Laotian?

"Pen mawr". Anyone one here speak Welsh?

Why do Thai citizens in any part of Thailand speak Welsh?

What the fock has Wwelsh got to do with anyhting? :D

:o Just a private joke stemming from your previous post :D

Shirt and trousers, every single day. Shoes only if going somewhere posh, otherwise its sandals to offset the heat from long trousers.

I don't think I have ever worn shorts except at the beach! English people really shouldn't show their knees. Not a pretty sight.

I dress clean/conservative but whatever YOU choose to wear, up2u as they say, but PLEASE do at least wear "pit stick" or you'll make me and everyone around you....  :o

B&S, I go along with conservative dress for work: shorts are for social wear only. Also, please forgive my ignorance, but what is 'pit stick?'