U.S. Secretary of State Clinton recommits to fight corruption

News_Editor

U.S. Secretary of State Clinton recommits to fight corruption

2010-12-09 08:20:27 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Wednesday recommitted to fight corruption, recognizing the significant achievements of the past year as nations around the world on Thursday celebrate International Anti-Corruption Day.

Last month, G20 Leaders adopted a landmark Anti-Corruption Action Plan to promote an open, rules-based environment worldwide. Implementing this plan would require cooperative efforts among G20 partners, the private sector, and civil society organizations, Clinton said.

"The participation of emerging G20 economies is particularly important as they lay the foundation for generations of sustainable growth and prosperity," she stated, adding the U.S.has made "unprecedented strides over the past year to enforce our anticorruption laws and ensure our companies do not practice bribery or unfair practices in countries where they operate."

In addition, Clinton noted that during the current year, the States Parties of the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC) also launched a process to review implementation of the treaty.

"The United States is proud to be among the first nations to undergo a peer review, and we look forward to working with our partners in the UNCAC process to translate this global commitment to root out corruption from promise to practice."

"Corruption stunts economic growth, damages confidence in democracy, and fosters a culture of graft and impunity that undermines the ability to operate in our interconnected world," Clinton stated, emphasizing that every country has a role to play as we work to advance our collective anticorruption agenda and institutionalize the highest standards of transparency.

"Together, we can ensure the integrity of our markets, improve our government institutions, and increase opportunity and prosperity for all our citizens."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-09

With the release of those "Secret" wikileaks documents concerning corruption. She'll just put on her Marta Steward outfit and start cleaning up, doing the laundry, ironing out issues, carefully folding each issue so everything looks perfect. Then she will go outside and create new nation out of a pile of horse crap.

So is she going to speed up the extradition of Cheney to Nigeria on that little corruption case?

Please give us and the rest of the world all the inside info you are privileged to, Was/is extradition being sought by Nigeria? Are the countries who want to utilize the system, also on record as signatures of the relevant documents? If countries are working together to curtail corruption and thus benefit the general population of the world, power to them and their efforts. No check and balance system is 100% effective, but we as critics may want to watch, listen, and learn before we piss on the parade grounds. This, of course, would not apply to those who have direct experience in like situations and can subsequently offer a better solution.

Nigeria....corruption....Pot...kettle.

please, no Nigeria-bashing. B)

And certainly they trying to do something about and wanna fight corruption. They have my full support for it, like i would support anyone else who really wants to fight corruption.

Edited by SergeiY

please, no Nigeria-basing. B)

And certainly they trying to do something about and wanna fight corruption. They have my full support for it, like i would support anyone else who really wants to fight corruption.

So it is OK to bash the US, but not Nigeria?

I have been to Nigeria many times, and it is perhaps the most overtly, systemically, and unabashedly corrupt nations to which I have traveled. Now if some in Nigeria really are fighting corruption, fantastic, but this is grandstanding, at best. The prosecutor says he wants to prosecute Cheney because the "crimes were committed in Africa."

Hmm, so Dick Cheney got in an airplane with a suitcase full of cash, flew to Nigeria, and offered up the bribes?

Look, I detest Dick Cheney, and personally, I would love to see him pay for other cases for which I am convinced have more legs. But this one? Not a chance.

I have been to Nigeria many times, and it is perhaps the most overtly, systemically, and unabashedly corrupt nations to which I have traveled. Now if some in Nigeria really are fighting corruption, fantastic, but this is grandstanding, at best. The prosecutor says he wants to prosecute Cheney because the "crimes were committed in Africa."

Hmm, so Dick Cheney got in an airplane with a suitcase full of cash, flew to Nigeria, and offered up the bribes?

Look, I detest Dick Cheney, and personally, I would love to see him pay for other cases for which I am convinced have more legs. But this one? Not a chance.

Please don't mistake profound criticism with making cheap shots of bashing. there is a difference. B)

And if US-bashing is not okay. please the same rules for Nigeria-, Israel-, China-, Russia-, Iran-, Palestine-, Korea- Thailand- or whatever bashing. simply like that.

For sure Cheney will not be extradited, but aren't there laws in the USA that also prosecute crimes like corruption cases when they are committed abroad?

Please don't mistake profound criticism with making cheap shots of bashing. there is a difference. B)

And if US-bashing is not okay. please the same rules for Nigeria-, Israel-, China-, Russia-, Iran-, Palestine-, Korea- Thailand- or whatever bashing. simply like that.

For sure Cheney will not be extradited, but aren't there laws in the USA that also prosecute crimes like corruption cases when they are committed abroad?

With all due respect, I do take some of your posts as going beyond "profound criticism." And it is my "profound criticism" that Nigeria is rife with corruption. I have personally experienced it.

And yes, th Foreign Corrupt Practices Act allows for the US to prosecute people even for corruption committed abroad. But I ask you again, do you really think Cheney went to Nigeria to commit corrupt acts? IF, and that is a big IF, he did anything, he did it while sitting in his big desk back in the USA.

please, no Nigeria-bashing.

No bashing of Nigeria, Hammas, Hezbollah, Somali Pirates or Russia is allowed, but Western-style democracies are all fair game. It is nice to see that you have your priorities straight. :blink:

Please don't mistake profound criticism with making cheap shots of bashing, over generalisation, stereotyping and hateful xenophobic or islamophobic comments. there is a difference my dear dead president. B)

And yes, th Foreign Corrupt Practices Act allows for the US to prosecute people even for corruption committed abroad. But I ask you again, do you really think Cheney went to Nigeria to commit corrupt acts? IF, and that is a big IF, he did anything, he did it while sitting in his big desk back in the USA.

I don't know how deep Cheney is involved or if he is guilty or not and it is not me to decide that. But if there any wrongdoings it should be prosecuted or at least some kind of investigation should be started instead of saying Nigeria? harharhar and good it is.

OK, one more time. If you want to post about that lovely, charismatic Mr. Cheney, here is the place to take the discussion:

And By Golly, here it is:

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4073650

Take discussion of his corruption case there. What you are doing is off-topic to this thread and it's confusing for people who are searching for information.

...or...

You can have your posts deleted. Up to you.

Thanks.