When To Renew Visa Vs Extension Of Stay

Trying to figure out when the best time is for me to renew my Non-Immigrant B Visa.

I have a 1 year Non-Imm B Visa that will expire in January 2011.

I also have an Extension of Stay that will expire in July 2011. I obtained this simply to avoid having to leave the country every 90 days.

My understanding is that this Extension of Stay means I can stay in Thailand after January 2011 (when my Visa expires), up to July 2011.

However, if I leave Thailand after the Visa expires, then I would need to first obtain a Re-Entry Permit before leaving the country. With this document, I will be able to re-enter Thailand without having to get a new Visa, as long as I re-enter before the expiry in July 2011 of my Extension of Stay.

My question is, will it be more difficult getting a renewed Non-Imm B Visa in July 2011 (before the Extension of Stay expires) than it would if I started the renewal now, before the Visa expires in January?

For instance, would I have to leave the country to get a renewed Non-Imm B Visa if I do it in July 2011, but perhaps I could get the renewal without leaving the country if I pursue it before it expires in January?

Any thoughts on this?

A visa is nothing more than a permit to travel to Thailand and ask for permission to enter. The immigration officer decides to give you a permission to enter and stay in Thailand, or not.

You don't need to extend your visa, you extend your permission to stay. It only makes sense to get a new visa if you travel regularly out of Thailand (or if you don't meet the criteria for an extension of stay).

You can extend your stay with 1 year during the last 30 days of your permission to stay and you will need the same documents as you needed to get your current extension. Apply early, as the extension will always start when your current permission to stay ends. So you won't lose any days.

As said you do not need or want a visa. Once on extensions of stay you must use re-entry permit for any travel or the extension of stay will be rescinded and you would have to start over. That includes now. If you leave tomorrow for a day and return you must have a re-entry permit to keep your current extension of stay alive.