Please Help To Identify The Flower!

Amapola

Hi,

not sure that it is the appropriate forum for my question, but would be grateful for your help)

there is an orange flower (or maybe that`s a tree blossom) in thailand and CM namely, it`s relatively small and the smell is adorable (smthg like rose...but better=). and I`m craving for its smell..

Does anyone has a clue what`s the name of it?? I guess it is it in the picture, but not 100% sure.

orange%20flower.jpg

Could it be 'Champaca' (Michelia champaca)? A tropical magnolia. Intoxicating!!

It's white flowered hybrid cousin Michelia champaca 'alba' is the JOY perfume fragrance, the world's most expensive perfume, or so I've read.

post-74166-0-60648800-1291899353_thumb.j

Yes, it is tricky to ID something when the viewer has no picture of it. We do not even know if the orange plant was the fragrant one, or if the viewer saw an orange plant and then sensed another fragrant plant nearby. I agree that Canna has hardly no fragrance. Michelias are lovely, but they are hardly orange. An orange flower which is out in masses right now in Chiang Mai is Saraca indica, but the perfume is quite discrete. Since the viewer lives in Chiang Mai I invite her to Dokmai Garden in Hang Dong to sniff around. We have nearly 1000 species on display, including all three mentioned previosuly, so it is possible she will find what she seeks here.

Cheers, Eric

www.dokmaigarden.co.th

www.dokmaidogma.wordpress.com

Saraca Indica

Thanks for that, always wondered what the name was; I have one in the corner of the garden.

It also has a Chiang Mai name which is not Sokonam, completely slipped my mind at the moment.

At the moment I have what the Thais called "Wasana" in flower. Its a bit like living in a perfume vat!

thanks, Eric! I`ll check it out=)

Yes, it is tricky to ID something when the viewer has no picture of it. We do not even know if the orange plant was the fragrant one, or if the viewer saw an orange plant and then sensed another fragrant plant nearby. I agree that Canna has hardly no fragrance. Michelias are lovely, but they are hardly orange. An orange flower which is out in masses right now in Chiang Mai is Saraca indica, but the perfume is quite discrete. Since the viewer lives in Chiang Mai I invite her to Dokmai Garden in Hang Dong to sniff around. We have nearly 1000 species on display, including all three mentioned previosuly, so it is possible she will find what she seeks here.

Cheers, Eric

www.dokmaigarden.co.th

www.dokmaidogma.wordpress.com